Skip to Content

Antelope: Roan

Find, identify and discuss the animals of all the SANParks

Moderator: RosemaryH

LEIGHVLASSO

WE SAW A ROAN YIPPEEE YAAAAH

Unread postby LEIGHVLASSO » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:35 am

Hi all

On our way down from a day up at Punda to Shingwedzi we were so lucky to of seen a beautiful Roan Bull :big_eyes: quickly cross the road a few metres in front of us into the thick bush on the side - before i could even lift the camera off my lap :(

but wait it gets better :D
just where he crossed over there was a side loop dirt road that we could take and guess who waited patiently just giving us enough time to creep up along the road and take a few beauts of snaps :cam: :cam: :cam:

through the tears of course due to my total awe and excitement of seeing our first Roan in the park ever :cry:

what an end to the perfect holiday :tongue:

will try add the pics we took - not sure if its my server that blocks things or just my blondness :) but never have much luck
Last edited by LEIGHVLASSO on Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To my mind, the life of a lamb is no less precious than that of a human being. I should be unwilling to take the life of a lamb for the sake of the human body."
--M Gandhi

Richprins

Re: Antelope: Roan

Unread postby Richprins » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:12 pm

Ok, Here's that picture of the Roan-Sable crossbreed in an article from CUSTOS I promised about 3 years ago! (Better late than never... )

Father in front, "roble" at the back!:

Link: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9942&start=30

Shi
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Shi » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:52 pm

I saw a herd of about 30 near Babala last month...a first for me and I was SO excited got to spend over an hour with them on my own for virtually the whole time :dance: :dance: here are some pic's and I'll post some video footage later on :thumbs_up:

and two days later saw this lone guy between Sirheni and Punda...although one of the horns was growing in another direction :hmz:

Shi
"I have a farm in Africa, at the foot of the Lebombo mountains"

2010 KNP
Nov 13-14 Lower Sabie, 15-18 Satara, 19-22 Skukuza,22-27 Biyamiti
Dec 24-27 Biyamiti, 28-29 Orpen, 30-31 Skukuza
Thought for the day
TR March 2010

Toko
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Toko » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:12 pm

Shi wrote:I saw a herd of about 30 near Babala last month...

Hi Shi,
great sighting :thumbs_up:
I think that might the same herd I cam across there on 26th August.

Last edited by Toko on Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SamoesaWoestyn

Unread postby SamoesaWoestyn » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:48 pm

We were driving on the S50 near the S49 turnoff (which we accidentally missed and had to make a u-turn) when we saw this Roan running at full speed in our opposite direction. We reversed as fast as we could and saw him standing behind a bush with just his backside showing. It gave me time to take some pics and he was off again. We were searching for him where we last saw him for about 2 minutes and when I looked in my mirror he was standing in the middle of the road behind us. With all the excitement I managed to take some 3 or 4 pics of him standing there and he again started running into the bushes… Another special sighting of this elusive antelope!

After spending the whole day in the Mopani Area we still had to travel to Olifants Camp. On the H1-6 near Klein Shawu waterhole, we had our second Roan sighting of the day!!

SamoesaWoestyn

Rare Antelope Sightings!

Returning to Kruger in December 2013!!!

Manovo-Gounda

Re: Roan Herds in Kruger (ID thread)

Unread postby Manovo-Gounda » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:19 am

Hi there,

A single roan antelope was seen 100m south of Boyela waterhole on the H1-7 near Babalala.
Date: Sunday March 13th 2011,
Time: around midday
Remarks: The Photo is not of good quality but a proof, it was a hot and humid day so photographic conditions were bad around lunch time. Note the oddly shaped horns.

If interested, see my trip report:
viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=53430&start=15
Cheers, Manovo-Gounda

Latest Lifers Europe: greater short-toed lark, western capercaillie, ashy-headed wagtail
Latest Lifer Africa: Taita fiscal, rosy-patched bush-shrike, slaty egret

Next trip to Kruger: 25.7-3.8 2014, Bird list KNP: 257 species

Mgoddard
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Mgoddard » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:26 am

Thank you Manovo-Gounda. Very interesting as I have seen this one in the same area, but she was with a big herd of about 20+ (Both pics not so good, so difficult to say if it is the same one, as maybe the one horn broke after I've seen it...or maybe just another with a funny horn)

I saw this one in July, 2009

Richprins

Unread postby Richprins » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:39 pm

The other horn seems fine...often bent horns are a result of damage received when young.

Boorgatspook
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Boorgatspook » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:52 pm

And also a first time sighting for me... :dance:

(Photographed at Mokala National Park)

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Son godin » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:56 pm

We only saw one Roan during our visit at Tsendze in March.

Date : 31/03/2011
Time: 7:38
Road: S50 1-2 km east of Mooiplaas waterhole
Area: Mopani

A single Roan ran into the road and then disappeared off into the bush south towards Nshawu river.
Not sure what scared it, but there was not much time to get a good shot.
We saw a hyaena about an hour earlier on the same road, so maybe it smelled it and wanted to get away.

WillemK
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby WillemK » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:47 am

One does not have to go to KNP to see the Roan antelope. For those people near Kimberley (like me), Roan antelope can also be found in the Mokala park (the "youngest" of SANPARK's parks.

This one walked in front of us for about 1km in the road and every 100m he was leaving his mark. What an experience.

Follow my photography journey including trip reports and photos on my blog

Richprins

Unread postby Richprins » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:17 pm

Saw this bunch a few k's north of Shingwedzi last week!

A herd of 15 or so..skittish and perhaps a new squad?

Near Southern part of Nkulumbeni loop on the tar road

Poor quality, but they were skittish!

Will send originals to mgoddard! :thumbs_up:

Aat

Unread postby Aat » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:41 am

Nice question about the number.
4 in Nshawu
1 male Mooiplaas / Tihongonyeni (same one)
10 in a group
total 15 this year

Last year oct/nov 2 males together
group of 8 in the tsendze loop area

So I guess what we have seen 25 in total

o-dog wrote:Fantastic as always Aat :clap:
...great pics of such rare antelope...that Mopani area is quite rewarding!!
How many different Roan do you think you have seen in the Mopani area?
Seems they are on the up in terms of number!

@RP great stuff....I do see that that location isnt too far from Babalala but as the Babalala ones always seem to be quite resident every time they are seen it does seem that this could be another group...that would be fantastic!!!

:thumbs_up:

o-dog
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby o-dog » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:18 pm

Thanx Aat!! :thumbs_up:

Its amazing how just one person's experiences can give a good idea of how their numbers are doing...basically there is a relatively healthy poulation in the area and from yours and other forumites records, KNP Roan population seems to be well in excess of the 47 animals that was the 'official' number back in the 90's at one stage.

2 populations strongholds seem to be Mopani area and Babalala area. Personally I have only seen them around Babalala and no breeding herds yet.

I will keep an eye on the 2 Roan threads...I wonder if the forumites can ID over a 100 Roan in the park based on territory, markings and group dynamics :hmz: :P :thumbs_up:
Mana Pools: 11th - 20th Oct
KNP: 27th Nov - 5 Dec

bondm

Unread postby bondm » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:38 pm

Hi All, Here are some pics of a pair of Roan I saw along the northern dirt road of the Capricorn Loop last December. I read that someone was going to keep a record of sitings. I am not sure whether they were 2 males or a couple. Is there any way of identifying if it's male or female from a head view. I was the only car present and unfortunately they both stayed in the same position whilst I was there.
The Capricorn Loop is an excellent route for seeing wildlife. I made one circuit clockwise in the evening and then the other way the following morning. Apart from the Roan and the usual elephants, zebra and wildebeest, we saw a Side-striped Jackal(At the time I thought that it was a large dog but ID'd it later), 2 Black-backed Jackal pups, 2 Honey Badgers, Large herd of Tsessebe, Spotted Hyena, 4 Kori Bustards and had to pass through an enormous herd of buffalo. I have been round many times before and it never dis-appoints for sitings. Bond M U.K.

Return to “Mammals”