Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 169 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Guest Houses in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:38 am 
Nshawu Guest House in Olifants.

At Rxxxx p/n it is quite expensive for two people but we treat ourselves once a year. The base rate is actually for 4 people, but we are selfish people… :wink:
However, the Rxxxx is not that expensive if you consider what you get and if you compare it to accommodation cost outside the Park – an average B&B guesthouse in the Malelane area charge.

Quote:
Nshawu Guest House (GNG)
- 4 bedrooms, each with 2 single beds
- Aircon
- DSTV (Limited Channels)
- Kitchen
- Wc, shower and bath

This description on the accommodation page actually doesn’t give credit to this amazing unit. I really think SANParks should start flaunting what they have.

Nshawu is built against the cliffs at Olifants. The ultimate in privacy because you don’t see or hear other people….your own piece of Kruger. 8)

The unit has 4 bedrooms, each with its own en-suite bathroom. Each bedroom has a door leading out onto the veranda with it’s magical view.
The unit also has a huge lounge and dining room area (also with the magical view of cause). There is a TV in the lounge for those who feel they should pay R1665 to watch the sport channels. :roll:
This house is beautifully and tastefully decorated. Unfortunately we have never taken photos of the inside…the outside view always seems to draw our attention. :?

The big kitchen is well equipped to make it easy to entertain a big group – 2 fridge/ deepfreezers, under counter oven, prep bowl in kitchen and a separate washing-up area.
Adjacent to the kitchen is a covered outside dinning area. This area also has a built-in gasbraai.

The veranda runs right around the house, giving you a 200˚ view over the Olifants River.

From the veranda there is a staircase that takes you down to the separate braai deck that is a level below the house.

And what a braai area it is! Very few places in the world that can offer you this IMHO! :D

The only negative about this house is that you have to book months in advance – very popular …for obvious reasons.

I made this a generic thread…would be nice if people who have stayed in the other guest houses in Kruger can give more info/photos on them.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:42 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The other house that is well worth going out on a limb for is the Stanley cottage in Satara - it is positively baronial and of course outside you have a spotlight that lights up your own private waterhole. We have seen lion, leopard, civet, african wild cat, buffalo and many antelope at this waterhole without leaving the comfort of our verandah. In the garden is a genet who is somewhat habituated so does not run away when you approach. Well worth a visit and make time to sit and read all the books of Anne Stanley's years of heaven on earth in KNP - they make for fascinating reading.

03.10.14 - 10.10.14 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Post subject: Re: Guest Houses in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:03 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Jumbo wrote:
This description on the accommodation page actually doesn’t give credit to this amazing unit. I really think SANParks should start flaunting what they have.

I have stayed in the Monis Guest house in Letaba once as it was the only thing available , I never regretted the cost .
WOW what a hut , also 4(I think) rooms with en suite bathrooms , huge lounge and kitchen , and also your own private view out over the river .
Not to mention you get you own exclusive hut attendant .

These "fancy" huts certainly do merit more of a mention in the info section .

The Rentmeister in Shingwedzi also looks stunning , although it is pretty close to the infamous "back gate" .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:54 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Having spend one night in the Pierre Joubert Guesthouse in Pretoriuskop, I have to say that I think it's one of the better accommodation types in any of the camps.
Usually with a certain amount of people it can also cost you less or even the same price as a bungalow would cost you.

The peace, privacy and views you get are not comparable to any other in the camps.

As I've said. I had to privilege to stay in the Pierre Joubert Guesthouse in Pretoriuskop.

At a cost of also Rxxxxx per night and a base rate of 1 - 4 people it would cost you Rxxx per person per night.
Compare that to other accommodation costs outside the park and you will see that it's quite affordable.

This unit is very private with a huge entertainment area. It's fence off from the rest of the camp.

The whole area is build in a half circle shape with a central area for a braai and leading onto the main communal house.

ImageLarge

Communal House
ImageLarge

The communal facilities are top notch with a dining room,
ImageLarge

living room,
ImageLarge

TV room with DSTV for the sports junkies,
Image,Large

a communal bar and kitchen, and a small toilet,
ImageLarge

The braai area is fantastic, but with a place in the central yard to have a bon fire, it was more alluring.
Braai Area
ImageLarge
ImageLarge

Central Yard
ImageLarge

On top of the communal house it also has your own lookout point where one can enjoy a beautiful view of the bush and the sunset while enjoying an Amarula topped with ice.

The communal house looks over the central yard and to the fence with great views to the bush and the unsuspecting visitors
ImageLarge

There are 4 separate units from the communal house, which enjoys the same view as above.
ImageLarge

ImageLarge

Each unit features a double bed, a small living room and Full bathroom with shower, bath and a feel that will make you think you have arrived in paradise.
Not forgetting that we are lazy and that it becomes hot in the summer, they have provided each unit with an aircon in the room, and as a bonus, it can be operated with a remote control.
The units all have sliding doors opening to the central area and come provided with towels, soap and bedding.
ImageLarge

ImageLarge

At these prices you get the ultimate in luxury, yet still have the freedom to enjoy your own company, braai your own meat and have a great night around the campfire with friends, looking around at the fence for the unsuspecting night visitors.

A definite if you are more than 2 people, or when you want to treat yourself like some people who claim to make the best prawns.

Last edited by Elsa on Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pics resized.

Post subject: guest houses
Unread postPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:32 am 

Wow what fantastic houses. Well worth it, especially if you think that at a place like Sabi Sands you pay up to R3000 per person (I Think) Thanks for showing these it certainly would be wrth while a group of friends stayinf there. We have a girls weekend over my birthday weekend (June 16-18 ) there are 4 of us we are staying in seperate bungalows. there are a whole lot more interested this way we can get a bif group and it works out very reasonably. Thanks for this.

Happy Anniversary Jumbo froma newee on the forum but an avid addict of Kruger

Nicki

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:34 am 
With our Feb 2005 visit we did it in “style”….took our own deck chairs and barely moved from that veranda for two days.
Why in the world would you go and pay R4000 p/p at a private lodge if you can have this at R850 p/p (if you are 2 people)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:34 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We have also stayed in the Rudy Frankel which is next door and has the same view of the waterhole.
The next time you are North of Satara camp have a look and you will see the floodlights and the water hole. We did just that - stayed in bed till 9 one morning took a leisurely drive and were back on the beds for an afternoon sleep and then stayed up all night - the game literally came to us!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:48 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

My SO and I did exactly the same on our anniversary except we went to Rudy Frankel.
It burnt down shortly after our stay and has been rebuilt I believe.
I hope they rebuilt it the same way as before.
Basically it was built in a circle with an open braai area in the middle, kind of Spanish villa/ranch style.
All 4 bedrooms lead off from the center and have en suite bathroom.
There was also a very large farm style kitchen and a rather big TV lounge/dinning room with a bar in it and then your patio with the water hole in front.
You are also fenced in with quite a big garden and a nice patch of grass.
The bird life was brills, with resident barn owl and every night, scops & pearl spotted and a host of other birds.

If you get the chance it really is a great spot to stay at.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: One foot in the car, the other still in the office!
The nicest place I stayed at in Kruger was the Rentmeester Guest House at Shingwedzi.
True its at the "infamous back gate" but it is secluded and luxurious.
It also has its own hide right on the river, you can see it from the low water bridge if you look carefully.
The Guesthouse has 4 bedrooms a big lounge and kitchen area and a really nicely situated braai area.
Whilst braaing (the fires are lit before you come into camp in the evening by a personal attendant) you can eyeball the river bed.
Really well appointed outside dining area and furniture too.

Post subject: Guesthouses
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:14 pm 

Hi

Has anyone got comments and pictures of Fisheagle Guesthouse in Letaba or Keartland Guesthouse in Lower Sabie, please?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:56 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Went to look at it in June as I am going with a group in February. Unfortunately could not get it when we were in the area.

But it looks superb and has its own birdhide. Would definitely stay there if we could have arranged it.

Richard

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Keartland Guest House,Lower Sabie

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

more pics of Keartland..

and the sunset enjoyed from Keartland

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:54 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Can someone pick up that house and bring it to me? That's better than my house, even without the view!

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:56 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We have stayed in the Fish Eagle at Letaba many years ago -
Some of the decor at the entrance was a little OTT.
It had a huge pivot door that looked like something out of the Rocky Horror Picture Show with massive steel columns alongside it - not surprising as it belonged to Score Metals.
We had the most fantastic personal attendant by the name of Augustine - all we did was hand over all the breakfast goodies and on our return the table was laid and the breakfast beautifully cooked.
The same happened at dinner time.
I do not think that these personal attendants are in existence any more!
Certainly the last time we stayed at the Rudy Frankel and the Stanley they were not.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next