Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: North versus South?
Unread postPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:09 pm 

Hi

I've posted before about our brief trip into Kruger. The only bookings I could get was 1 night in Skukuza and then 1 night in Mopani. I know from the replies I received that this is by no means ideal - but I didn't realise it's the main SA winter holiday. I'm now stressing about the fact that we'll be just driving to get from a to b before the camp closes.

I keep checking back on the park website to see if there is any availability coming up that will let us spend 2 nights in the same place.

I've just seen that there is some availability in Mopani that would allow us to have 2 nights there - giving up our night in Skukuza.

We have heard that there is less wildlife to see in the north of the park so the question is should we hold out for two nights in Skukuza - and risk ultimatley having to drive between the two camps.

Any advice will be gratefully received!

Many thanks :lol:

Post subject: Re: North versus South?
Unread postPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:34 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

My advice is to stop stressing.

You will have a wonderful visit, whichever option becomes available.

If it is a once off visit, I would keep the Skukuza booking, and not go for two days in Mopani. Mopani is named after a tree which is plentiful in large areas of the North, but which also limits you ability to spot animals. You still will have great sightings, just not in the numbers you may have in the South.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:03 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

It is true that the south is probably better for game than the north, but I would take the 2 nights in Mopani, to make your hols less stressful :big_eyes:
Where would you enter the park?

We have had wonderful sightings in the north and rubbish sighting in the south on some occasions, and of course sometimes rubbish sighting there and wonderful sightings in the south.

There is a very famous saying "The bush will show you what she wants to!!"

We stayed in Mopani for the first time in March this year. It is a newer camp than most, but we were pleasantly surprised.
The view from the restaurant deck is stunning.

You will now get umpteen posts saying "go north" "stay south", so good luck choosing!!

Unread postPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:05 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

If you don't get to visit KNP much, and you only have 2 days... I'd go for Skukuza. It's an area with a LOT of wildlife, but also a lot of people in the area - which can lead to traffic jams :wall: . But your chances of having good sightings, in my opinion, is much better here.

Mopani - well, as already mentioned, you will see a lot of Mopani trees! :lol: And ellies definitely. But if you're a cat-hunter - you might see them there - but you'll have to be lucky... :P

13-18 June 2015 - Lower Sabie
19-23 June 2015 - Satara
24-28 June 2015 - Letaba

Unread postPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:15 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

By the way, we saw a pride of 20 lions not far from Mopani in December!! :whistle: :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:43 pm 

Thank you so much.....Yip. Would love to hear / see them :) from there to Mopani, then the bird hide, Letaba & then heading down South :thumbs_up:

* A Tribal Survey of Mongalla Province (1957) - LF Nalder; ed.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:02 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Mopani is an awesome camp, the south have more tourist traffic jams than cardboard printouts of lions and leopards and fairytale wish-list animals. :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: 8)

Unread postPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:56 pm 

Son godin wrote:
Hoedspruit is closer to Phalaborwa gate so if I must make a desicion I will go for Mopani. Do lots of day trip from Orpen gate while visiting your son and you will be able see parts of Kruger without Mopani trees like Satara area

:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Take 2 nights in Mopani. Less stress. Packing and unpacking is annoying.

Next time you come to the Kruger (which I'm sure you will :tongue: ) try get more nights in and book in the south. Then you will discover if you are one that enjoys the North or South. Some enjoy both of coarse. I enjoy the central region the most :thumbs_up:

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:08 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Guzz wrote:
Seeing as though you're coming in at Orpen, why not try swop both nights for 2 nights in Satara.

Now you're talking! Satara is right smack in the middle - close to Orpen and LION-territory (if you visit Satara and don't see lions almost every day - try clean the windscreen... :wink: ). You can go North or South to explore. But IF you are going to be doing daytrips to this area while in Hoedspruit, then try a different area when staying in the park...

You opened an old debate when asking this question... :doh: Good luck with your decision! :thumbs_up:

13-18 June 2015 - Lower Sabie
19-23 June 2015 - Satara
24-28 June 2015 - Letaba

Unread postPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:22 pm 

Hi to all here. I have been to almost all the camps in Kruger. Its right to say that you see more animals in the South from Satara downwards. But at the Capricorn loop at Mopani I have seen in spring eland, Tsesebe, Rhino, Elephant, Ostrich, Lions in one day. If you are a big birde you will love the north. I usally start in the north and go south then you apreciate what yuo are seing.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:22 pm 

Hi

I think Satara is a great camp to base yourself in. I think the service is still great there you see lots of game. If you had more days then I agree North is great but if you want to see game Satara is a better bet. From Satara you can still do a slow drive to Letaba (A lovely camp also) and go South to Tsokwane
the next day or you can drive around the camp on the gravel roads. I have seen cheetah leopards Lions Ellies Rhino etc around Satara. If you are based outside and want to come in every day Then I think coming in at Phalaborwa and going to Letaba and up to Mopani make a nice day drive too. But wherever you go enjoy the Bush and look out for the smaller animals you will be surprised how much you see. I enjoy seeing all not juts the big 5. Have a great time
Nicki

Post subject: Re: Advice for 1st timers visiting the North
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:08 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Wolf, so 1st time to the north, a place which I call paradise.
Which camps will you be staying in so can assist you upon that, if you staying at Punda Maria, one thing you should never miss early morning and that is the Mahoni Loop, but do this loop early morning as soon as gate opens and enter from the second entrance from the camp and first entrance from the gate and there is a 90% chance you'll see the Lion pride there which I call the Mahoni pride there, they do have cubs which are about a year old now, they quite playful, look out for them.
also do the Tulamela loop just up to the waterhole less than a km from that tar road, there are always buffs or ellies to see there.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:08 pm 

Hi there!

We're reading with great interest! We'll be visiting Punda Maria and Shingwedzi in about 7 weeks.

Can someone tell us where the Confluence loop is?
Other suggestions are welkom :D

Thanks for your input!

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:48 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Ralph and Lenny.
Confluence loop.
The loop which I call the Lion loop is situated just 1 km from Shingwedzi camp.
As soon as you exit the Shingwedzi camp through the main road its just at the T junction, you'll be able to see it from there.
It is a 2 km loop and you will be driving along the dry river bed.
As soon as you reach the confluence point, just before that you'll see a small hill made from river sand.
You should see Lions there.
I see them in 8 out of my 10 trips there.