Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Nico
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Video of the Year (2013)

S137 Duke Waterhole Road

Unread postby Nico » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:01 am

--
Last edited by Nico on Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lets change the world of mankind into the world of kind man.[White Bull]

Nico
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Nico » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:12 pm

O.k o.k, here the difficult spot. When you come from LS and take the S28, you drive to the signpost of the bird hide. You stay on the S28 and just when you past the bird hide signpost, the road is going down in a lower level and there is this mystical place on your left side, so its between the signpost of the bird hide and the S137 [Duke waterhole] That wasn't so difficult :roll: wasn't it? :twisted: I think Bucky was the most closest so he is the KNP expert in this. :wink:

Nico
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Nico » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:50 pm

I'll never will forget that spot because I filmed there a young Hyeana with a bloody snare around his throat and had a big flesh wound.I made a report about it in LS but the guy's behind the counter didn't bather so much. Later I spoke some rangers about it but they didn't got the message. They promised me that they would look for the hyaena and they did but couldn't find the poor animal. :cry: When you see such an animal in that kind of state, [I filmed it only two meters away before it disappeared into a little tunnel] your hart is crying when you look at it, into their hopeless eye's. :cry:

craigsa
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Duke waterhole (On the S137)

Unread postby craigsa » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:42 pm

Duke waterhole
Craig
Planning next KNP trip!

francoisd
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby francoisd » Tue May 02, 2006 8:05 am

Have never seen it that green before
"The measure of life is not its duration but its donation." - Peter Marshall
www.flickr.com/groups/birdssa

MarkWildDog
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

S137 Duke Waterhole Road

Unread postby MarkWildDog » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:51 pm

Hey All,

Has anyone had anyone had any interesting experiences or sightings on this road? I have spotted Serval & Vultures on it. :)

christo
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby christo » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:43 pm

I do not drive this road frequently, but I've seen Buffs & ellies the previous time. A few years ago I saw a cheetah, very near the waterhole.
To change ones life start immideately. Do it flamboyantly. No exceptions.

Readles

Unread postby Readles » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:41 pm

In August we saw Cheetah about 500m from the intersection with the S28

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:03 pm

We have seen 2 white Rhino wallowing in the waterhole.
But, unfortunately never seen Duke there or anywhere else for that matter. :(
Last edited by Elsa on Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Peter Betts

Unread postby Peter Betts » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:27 pm

Elsa i think its a most amazing Road. I went for a drive along it in thick mist one morning in Sept and i was driving eastwards into the sun as it came through the lifting mist. The back lit spiderwebs were awesome.
Punda Maria Sept 27,28
Bateleur Sept 29,30 (free award)
Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:00 pm

Saw a white rhino there one afternoon with a Martial eagle as a drinking partner but he wanted it all to himself and shooed the eagle off a way.

Saw 2 separate servals in that area on a night ride. One in the road for a while - the guide would not let us shine the light on it so pick something out of this!

Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Nikon12

Unread postby Nikon12 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:37 pm

Have done that little road many times. It can become very dusty late afternoon with lots of traffic. :( I often spent some time during midday on this road. You can then expect BIG herds of buffalo. My favourite was to find a herd on this road, estimate their grazing direction and then park the car and wait – sometimes up to an hour. The buffalo subsequently get used to your vehicle and if you guessed it right, can surround you completely. I have had amazing interaction with buffalo this way on this little road as they often approach the vehicle to within 2-3 metres. I did it mostly for photography purposes :cam: and captured amazing close-ups of buffalo this way.

The best time of year to do it this way is normally high summer and midday. You have to switch of the engine while waiting (no aircon) and it can become unbearably hot. The upside to this is that you often spend up to half an hour completely surrounded by buffalo with no other vehicle in sight. Highly recommended if you can take the sweat and heat :mrgreen: (and manage to leave the family in camp).

Nico
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Nico » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:12 am

Welcome Nikon12 to the forum and yes the condition we were in when we met the buff's in Duke Waterhole was very hot but that's the price you have to pay :roll: It is an absolutely great spot only last winter, every thing was burned black around Duke Waterhole :evil:

M@rnus

Unread postby M@rnus » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:22 am

We have seen a leopard about 2 metres from the road. It was about 200 metres from the waterhole and we were the only car for about 40 mintes before the leopard stood up and walked off.

KNP-Junkee

Re: S137 Duke Waterhole Road

Unread postby KNP-Junkee » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:54 pm

I know what youre talking about Nikon12.We saw the big herd of about 300 buffaloes for more than 30 minutes.There were numerous new-born calves with the belly-cords still attached.

Although we were about 30 metres from the herd,they go for a bath in the Nghlanganzwani Dam then cross the S28 to graze next to the S137.Two calves did not want to cross the dirt road-it looked like it was their first time to cross one-their moms just turned around to calm them down and cross safely - it was absolutely wonderful!

Also saw a white Rhino with a huge horn crossing the road just before you reach the dam.

I also think I saw Duke,but not sure.Will post pictures - but need confirmation from the pro's? I am not sure what he looks like without his tusks.....

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”