Skip to Content

Panasonic FZ38 advice please.

Share and discuss your images (strictly SANparks related)
Granny B

Panasonic FZ38 advice please.

Unread postby Granny B » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:59 pm

I have recently purchased a Panasonic Lumix FZ 38 as I need a camera that I can use in a wide variety of situations and weight was important for me. Does anyone have experience of using this camera in the Kruger and if so any advice would be welcome. As we are staying outside the Park at Ngwenya but overlooking the Crocodile river, should I bring a tripod or would a beanbag meet the need if photographing from a hide?

George P M

Re: Panasonic FZ38 advice please.

Unread postby George P M » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:14 pm

Hi Granny B...

As a family we're all very fond of the Panasonic FZ range of cameras. I have one, my wife has one, my daughter has one... and they're great 'all-rounders'. May you have LOTS of success with yours!!
Panasonic cameras are, in my opinion, excellent for the Kruger Park. Yes, DO take along a lightweight tripod if you can - espacially for long-zoom shots or low-light shots...
YEs, you'll get the purists who will punt their expensive cameras as being supeior - but I've seen absolutely brilliant photos taken with the most basic of cameras. Most succesful photos owe more to the photographer than the equipment! My latest 'trick' is to try unusual angles... for instance, when photographing flowers, get right down to their level or even try snapping from below...
Good luck and happy snapping.... :lol:

Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:32 pm

The FZ series is really good. You can easily see that by looking at the photos sent in for the photocompetitions. Good photo? Good chance it came from one of those cameras!

A beanbag is recommended in Kruger, well, always. Not only for the big DSLRs with 500 mm lenses, but even for your telephone camera. It'll take away user induced motion (shakes), which results in a sharper photo.
And of course it sets the mind more to composition, which also helps the photo. ;)
Arriving currently: The photos from our trip! Overhere! :yaya:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postby michel367 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:39 pm

If I am not mistaking VGStevens has one. Why not give her a PM and see what comes out of it.

Return to “SANParks Camera Club”