Skip to Content

Arks’ Kruger Trip: 20 April – 15 May

Tell us about your breathtaking experiences in the parks
Jumbo

Arks’ Kruger Trip: 20 April – 15 May

Unread postby Jumbo » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:18 pm

I’ve had some SMS’s from Arks and thought it is time that you guys know what has been seen. :D

Received the following message on the evening of 25 April. Arks was in Punda Maria – stayed in a Safari Tent…got #3 (yet another forumite to stay in this unit). Says the tents are great.

Great Day! Began with seeing African Wild Dog 2 km onto the South Nyala Drive, and ended with a breeding herd of ellies 2 km from Punda Maria. :D Also saw Black Backed Jackal, Trumpeter Hornbill, ellies with attitude :shock: and lots more!

Received the following message last night – was in Mopani….very happy with unit #101

Today I saw a leopard with 2 cubs plus my 1ste ever Malachite Kingfisher – fantastic indeed!! :D

Also received last night

Also saw 2 Saddle-billed Storks and 2 Woolly-necked Storks in the same tree – weird? :?

I will update the thread as I get more news. :wink:

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:24 pm

Started with wild dogs! And the dappled one with cubs! :shock:

If that is a promise for the rest of the trip..... :mrgreen:
Last edited by DuQues on Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arriving currently: The photos from our trip! Overhere! :yaya:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Katja
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Katja » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:51 pm

Wow! :shock: AWD and leopard with cubs. :mrgreen:

I'm glad she had such great sightings. :D

Thanks for posting, Jumbo.
KTP: November 2014
KNP: March 2015

Freda
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Freda » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:18 pm

Sorry I forgot, :redface: I received an SMS from Arks on the 21st when she was at Shimuwini.

"Great to be here, no cell at Shimuwini :) Fish eagle flying along the river in camp and resident duiker. This AM a steenbok and giraffe and just before Mopani a big tusker with 6 others. Not a bad morning!"

Jumbo

Unread postby Jumbo » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:57 pm

Salva wrote:AWD, leopard with cubs,...seems to be a great trip!

Received from Arks

I’ve got Salva to thank for my leopards, because he had seen leopard on Dzundzini, so I thought I’d try it. :D Saw suni there too – tiny thing!

{Jumbo mode: wonder if I should change my June booking from Shingwedzi to Sirheni so that I can also go and look for that stuffed leopard prop at Dzundzini :evil: }

DuQues wrote:Started with wild dogs!

Arks wrote: Tell DQ I didn’t actually start with AWD, that was on my 6th day. I started with lots of giraffe and many ellies with attitudes :shock: :lol:

Arks wrote:Highlights today (so far :wink: ): Purple roller and Tambourine Dove.

Salva
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Salva » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:25 pm

Jumbo wrote:
Received from Arks

I’ve got Salva to thank for my leopards, because he had seen leopard on Dzundzini, so I thought I’d try it. :D Saw suni there too – tiny thing!

{Jumbo mode: wonder if I should change my June booking from Shingwedzi to Sirheni so that I can also go and look for that stuffed leopard prop at Dzundzini :evil: }

:evil: If only it would have been a stuffed one, at least that way the bas... would not have been able to run away in dense bush before me being able to take a pic of it :evil: :evil: :evil:

But I'm very happy for Arks! (tell her I don't charge for tips to forumites: others pay big bucks :lol: )
U lacht en U heeft gelijk dat U lacht maar het is niet om mee te lachen

Katja
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Katja » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:36 pm

Jumbo wrote:
Saw suni there too – tiny thing!

A double :shock: and :mrgreen: from me for that sighting.
KTP: November 2014
KNP: March 2015

Jumbo

Unread postby Jumbo » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:26 am

Received this from Arks this morning. She arrived in Olifants yesterday. {Jumbo mode: :mrgreen: }

Arks wrote:More general game here and still lots of ellies. Saw Ground Hornbills with mature chick on S485.
Martial Eagle on Giriyondo Road, 1 km past Makhadzi. Saw it again on my way back – never moved. :D
I enjoyed the road even tho I didn’t see much – very scenic and the speed bumps seems to slow speeders down. :twisted:

Jumbo

Unread postby Jumbo » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:01 am

Received from Arks last night – seems she is having a ball!!! :D

Arks wrote:Saw 2 lions today, but both far from the road in tall grass – hard to see from my well-named car, Micra. :roll:

WTM’s S100 cutouts are great! :twisted: – saw male lion, 2 ellie bulls, Tawny Eagle, giraffe, wildebeest, Fish Eagle and more.

Elsewhere I saw 4 Ground Hornbills, buffalos, Bateleur, lots of impala, giraffe and zebra, Namaqua Doves and Purple Roller.

Just another average KNP day… :roll: :twisted:

Ton & Herma

Unread postby Ton & Herma » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:06 am

a leopard with cubs wawwww

We see she had such great sightings
Wild Dog Club Member

gwendolen

Unread postby gwendolen » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:32 am

Arks wrote:WTM’s S100 cutouts are great! :twisted: – saw male lion, 2 ellie bulls, Tawny Eagle, giraffe, wildebeest, Fish Eagle and more.

Nice average days. :mrgreen:

Freda

Unread postby Freda » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:01 am

SMS received from arks, she really is having a fantastic time :D

" I have # 9 at Olifants fab!
Did the astronomy activity tonite - excellent! Mini nite drive, drinks and snacks while telescope is set up, fine presentation of basic astronomy concepts & stars, major constellations, then viewing examples thru telescope. Interesting, enjoyable & highly recommended! Now when I watch the sky over my rondavel, I'll know what I'm seeing :D "

Jose
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Jose » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:06 am

And to think that another dung day in Africa has just started. :mrgreen: :lol: She sure is having a good time!

DebM
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DebM » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:06 pm

Arks wrote:Saw 2 lions today, but both far from the road in tall grass – hard to see from my well-named car, Micra. :roll:

:lol:

So glad Arks is enjoying the "average" Kruger days 8)
Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow them. Louisa May Alcott

bert

Unread postby bert » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:11 pm

Glad to read that you saw great animals
Even the S100 8)
And the Micra is a great car
Red one :?:

Return to “Travel Tales”