Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Garden Route early December
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:21 pm 

Hi there

We are planning to a trip end of November/December and ending up hopefuly at Addo Park. Would this be a good time of year - having looked at statistics it looks rather rainy. With a photographer husband he will be a pain in the proverbial if it rains all the time! If we decided just to wing it and not book any accommodation would we be able just to go on spec ? I imagine Addo Park is very busy. many thanks, Shelagh.

Post subject: Re: Garden Route early December
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:40 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Hi Shelagh and welcome to the forums! (Love your name to be honest.)

I have not been to Addo yet, but december can indeed be both hot and rainy. That however doesn't really mean bad news nfor photography, especially not to landscape photography.
For landscapes clouds (not overcast) add a lot to the photos, and for close-ups of animals they break the harsh light. I at least prefer partially clouded, especially in the middle of the day.

As for booking, yes, beyond a shadow of a doubt you should. December is very busy. Don't take too long, the bookings have been open a while.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:46 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

HI Shelagh McComiskey and welcome to the forums. I have been twice at places on the garden route the last three years in the middle/end of december and have not had one drop of rain, apart from this year when we had a rainstorm one evening, after dinner in ADDO, but the next morning was beautiful. Actually it was begining of january. If you want one of the rondavels overlooking the water hole, you must book early. If any accomodation goes, keep yourself updated looking at the Addo reservation page on this site.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:50 pm 

Thanks everybody for your comments and info - we will definately go. We loved Kruger and am sure we will have a great time.

Anything to escape a Scottish winter! Hopefully the photos will be up here some time!
http://www.angusmccomiskey.com

Shelagh

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:43 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Shelagh

Don't worry about the weather - remember this is South African rain, not like where you come from. It won't drissle endlessly, rather a short storm and then everythings looks even more beautifull - the colours are bright and crisp and the air is clean and free of dust.

Rather worry about the school holidays. If you can avoid them, do so at all cost! It is over crowded and I regret to say that you get a lot of visitors that go there "for the wrong reasons."
Stormsriver will be booked out for the school holidays at this stage.
Holidays from 10 December to about 10 January.

We have been there twice in the second part of January and really enjoyed the weather.

Enjoy your trip!

Hoephoep

My latest trip report to Addo during June 2009:
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=34300