Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:32 pm 

Hello

We walked the Napi Trail on July 19-22, 2006. It was a wonderful experience. This camp burned a few years ago so the safari tents are relatively new and very comfortable. Hearing the lions and scops owls at night was an experience I will never forget.

Here are some views of the camp.

The order of the day was early coffee, 3 hour walk in bush, brunch, leisure time, short game drive with short walk and sundowners, followed by dinner...who can argue with that.

The guides were great...here is Saul illustrating the method of maintaining a rhino toilet.

Typical sunset at Napi

Those of you who have done a wilderness trail know that they are not done to get up close to the big 5...however, with some luck, and a great guide (Barry was our main guide), you can have some great experiences....and some scary one's too....we walked up on a resting white rhino and quickly had to depart as he was not too pleased with us being there.

We did manage a good view of 3 of the big 5, including the frightening experience with the rhino.

Another real advantage of these trails is the discussions of nature with the guides...they are very passionate about the park...we had a moving discussion regarding elephant culling. Of course, we also learned quite a bit about the environment and those small creatures one cannot really see from a car.

The group at end of trip. Barry, our guide, is the guy in the rear with the knit cap. The person to his right is Saul who you saw in the rhino toilet and in front is Phinneus, our great camp cook.

Of the others, four in the photo are South African and four are American and I will leave it to you to figure that out. One of the South Africans arranged for a "bokdrolspoegkompetisie", which was won handily by the Americans...I do not know what this says about our culture but that is how it turned out!

A wonderful experience and if you can do a trail you should.

If there any questions about the Napi trail I will gladly answer them if I can.

Kruger is a jewell that must be protected and preserved...there is no place like it on earth.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:07 pm 

don wrote:
One of the South Africans arranged for a "bokdrolspoegkompetisie", which was won handily by the Americans...I do not know what this says about our culture but that is how it turned out!

Hi don,
Not sure how that happened, the Saffies must have let you guys win, for some obscure reason. :tongue:
Thanks for posting a great report on the trail and super pics as well.
So glad you agree on all our sentiments of Kruger. :D
Hope you can come back again some time soon.

Post subject: Napi Wilderness trail
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:51 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

This is how the camp looked in March 2007 after a few years of plant regrowth . Image
The summit of Mathlari is a refreshing climb , and it offers a good view .
We did not know that this elephant was on the outskirts of a breeding herd which sent us on a rapid retreat near Komapiti waterhole , as we surprised 5 white rhino who raised the alarm with their flight through the thick undergrowth in the direction of the elephants . We crossed a small stream and rapidly moved down wind of them , it seemed that this masked our scent as they did not follow us any further .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject: Re: Napi Wilderness Trail
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Before this disappears as it is on the last page (12) , time to revive it !

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:18 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Well done Ndloti :clap:
Just in time..
nice thread

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:51 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Napi huts (1992) before the camp burned down about 8 years later . The huts were on stilts right over the Napi spruit with a view of the confluence which was behind and to the right of the camera .

The Lapa area with a view over the Biyamiti .

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:58 pm 

Thanks for posting this. I'm planning to do the Napi Trail in December, and I'm very interested in anything to do with it.

Ek is Amerikaanse! But my hubby is Suidafrikaanse. We love the Kruger, the Kgalagadi, and every other Sanpark we have visited.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:19 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

YDJanet -

The trails area covered is mostly level with little climbing in comparison with the more hilly Wolhuter & Bushman trails .
The grass type is predominantly woody thatch type , grazers are not less plentiful than the Wolhuter & Bushman trails - but seeing animals on foot is really a bonus . The scenery along the Biyamiti river area is pleasant .
In my opinion the new camp with en suite facilities is more luxurious than a wilderness trail camp should be , though others may find it suits their needs well .

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:50 am 

Anyone else done this trail recently?
Would love to hear all about it. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:28 am 

My husband and I did the trail last December. The staff was great and very helpful. The first night, we heard lions and they took us out to find them. We watched them for quite a while. The trail walks were about right, although one day it was very hot and we all (even the guides) were so glad to get back. The guides found us a huge buffalo herd and we got quite close. Also saw a lot of rhino. I loved this experience and would go again at a heartbeat.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:12 am 

I have just managed to get a booking for this trail in March - Yipppeeee :dance:
If anyone has done it recently would love to hear about it.
Who is the guide for this trail?

Addo
Mt. Zebra

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:33 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I will do this trail end of july :D and like Jen I'm interested in any recent info.
We will be traveling one month in South Africa between july and august and will start by this trail in Kruger before other national parks. :dance:
Is there enough space in the tent to bring luggage or shall we leave it in the car ? Safe enough ?

2014:
Golden Gate july 25th-27th,
Cambedoo july 30th-31th,
MZNP august 1st-4th,
Addo august 5-8th,
Tsitsikamma Storms River Mouth august 9th-11th ,Ebb and Flow : 12th-15th
Bontebok:16-17th
Agulhas:18th

2015 : KTP booked

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:25 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I have recently been in the area and the vegetation is currently lush as a result of heavy rains .(the picture below date from 2007)

The parking area for Napi trailists at Pretoriuskop can be considered safe as it is in an area that is easily visible .
The accomodation units are large enough (much larger than those on the rest of the KNP trails) to store your baggage and even have en suite shower & latrine ,

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:23 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:thumbs_up: Thanks ndloti
I'm already counting the days till the end of july . :D
Still a long way.... :(

2014:
Cambedoo july 30th-31th,
MZNP august 1st-4th,
Addo august 5-8th,

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:26 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I noticed 4 people alredy booked Napi trail when I'll be there end of july (28th to 31st)
Are you 'mites ?

2014:
Cambedoo july 30th-31th,
MZNP august 1st-4th,
Addo august 5-8th,