Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: BONTEBOK
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:12 pm 
Guru
Guru

The Park is absolutely beautiful at present; Lots of flowers, birds displaying and the first Bontebok calves arriving!

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:52 pm 

Was in Bontebok this weekend. Camp was very full but what a pleasure! It really is a wonderful getaway. Very sorry I did not take at least on more day's leave! Too late now. Missed the aloes of course, but one can't have it all.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:55 am 

Hi all

We are going to camp at Bontebok for the first time from 16-19 December and I can't wait after reading all the nice reports. Could someone tell me how far the sites with electricity are from the ones without electricity. I'm thinking of getting some family to join us but I took the last electricity site for the Friday.

Jacques

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:13 pm 

Hi Jacques,

I just spoke to the lady at Bontebok's reception (028 514 2735) and she says that campsites 1-20 are those with electricity and from 21 onwards are those without. So, not faraway :D .

Happy camping :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:18 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

AFAIR JP, the ones with electricity are on the 'outside' of the ring road around the campsite and the ones without are on the 'inside', so with a bit of luck your tribe could park opposite you.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:19 pm 

We are going for 2 nights in November - 1 couple with a caravan and us with our rooftop tent. Should we just take 1 campsite or could we get 2 together 1 with power and 1 without? Is it first come first serve with the sites? Are we allowed to take a small blowup boat with an electric motor?
We are really looking forward to experiencing this park for the first time. It sounds beautiful!

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:53 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Hi Tracylee, I think it is first come first served, but send Bontebok a PM to check. As for your blow up boat, the river is not navigable there, and the puddles are not big enough.

Don't expect the big & hairy, but the park has a charm of it own. Take your bird book, you could well pick up some lifers. Sunbrds abound, and red chested sparrowhawks are seen.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:00 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The last time I visited (quite a while ago) sites were allocated - at least for those with electricity points. Don't know what the situation is now. I am booked this coming weekend and will report back.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I hope the Western Cape weather will not play us a huge trick over the weekend. According to the weather forecast a huge cold front is expected to influence the conditions negatively. The summer rainfall areas in the north long for rain while our Cape farmers want to harvest their wheat and barley now and are not very keen on rain. Meteorological data shows a strong possibility of rain for most of the weekend.

Last edited by Stoffel on Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:17 pm 

Hope your tent is dry and can withstand the howling wind :)

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:49 am 
Guru
Guru

Today is a mild day in Bontebok - temperatures in the low 20's and a light breeze put a smile on our faces.

The Tortoises are out in force - Leopard- Angulate and Parott-beaked tortoises are seen everywhere.

And you must see how cute the Bontebok lambs are :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

When we lived in Swellendam for one year (1976), hardly a weekend passed not visiting Bontebok on a short Sunday afternoon drive or enjoying a braai or picnic at Lang Elsieskraal. Those days Lang Elsieskraal was more known as a picnic site - very few people camped there.

On one of those Sunday afternoon drives, together with my parents-in-law, we took a nice ice-cold watermelon which we enjoyed at the picnic site. We took two fold-up canvas chairs with for the in-laws to sit on.

Out of the bushes a big leopard tortoise appeared and came directly towards us. We suspected it was the smell of the sweet watermelon that attracted him. We did the naughty thing and offered him a piece of watermelon - without any interest. It made itself comfortable under my mother-in-laws chair and the next moment it started straithening all four legs and lifted her from her chair. My mother-in-law got out of the chair and the tortoise then just lied happily under the chair. My father-in-law stood up from his chair and offered it to my mother-in-law. Our tortoise friend moved to that chair and immediately started his leg-lifting manoevre again until my mother-in-law decided to get up.

That old chap had a hole drilled through its shell at the back. Harold Braack, the then park warden told us at a later occasion that somebody brought the tortoise to the park and he was known to be making a nuisance of himself amongst visitors.

Last edited by Stoffel on Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:20 pm 
Guru
Guru

I have just seen the whole family - King, Queen, beautiful Baby - and the ugly duckling - all having a nice time enjoying the refreshing light rain. It is a sight to see the whole Bontebok family.

Post subject: Re: staying at Bontebok
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:02 am 

Does the shop sell ice?

Post subject: Re: staying at Bontebok
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:41 am 
Guru
Guru

Good Morning

The shop do sells ice.

With the town about 6km away - it is easy to stock up on perishables if and when needed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next