Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:15 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

the best entrance from mapungubwe is to enter KNP at Pafuri gate.

Go to Messina , then Tshipise , then to Pafuri gate . Just over 200 km but the roads are very low traffic .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:29 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Leaving Mapungubwe at 13:30 I would suggest entering at Punda Maria gate as Punda Maria camp is only 8km from the gate. I do not have a road map with me but think you'll have to travel down to Louis Trichardt and from there take the road to Punda gate (the turn off is sign posted if I remember correctly) From Musina you will still have 223km to Punda gate

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:03 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Let's rather talk times for the 2 routes.
Mapungubwe - Mussina 1 Hour
Mussina - Pafuri gate 1.5 "
Pafuri gate - Punda Maria 2 "
5 " practical time

Mapungubwe - Mussina 1 Hour
Mussina - Punda maria gate 3.5 hours (hold ups etc.)
5 hours practical time

Leaving Mapungubwe at 13h30 is well nigh impossible for both routes (winter season gates close at 17h30)
You will have to overnight outside or leave about midday.

Pafuri gate will remain the easier (less stressfull ) route of the two IMHO .

Post subject: Mapungubwe to Punda Maria
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:07 pm 

Please recommend the best route from Mapungubwe --Mazhou camping --to Punda Maria. Should I go via Musina to Pafuri gate or rather meander along to Punda gate? After several days in Mapungubwe I will need to stop in at a supermarket for fresh supplies,especially fruit & veg. I would prefer to avoid shopping in Musina but maybe there is a shop on the outskirts of town. Are there shops in Tshipise or only a holiday resort?

Post subject: Re: Mapungubwe to Punda Maria
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:49 pm 

I am not sure if there is any further update on the roads but if you have a look at the first 3 posts Here there is some advice and possibly some more through the topic.
Also, not sure when you are going to be there but be aware, H1-8 (short section between S63 and S64 near the Luvhuvhu Bridge)closed. Guests can use the S63 or S64 loops to circumvent the construction that is expected to be completed by 31 July 2013. so could take a while longer and Punda Gate might be the better option.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:22 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Floors,
also interested by the recommendations as I would drive the same road but from Punda Maria to Mapungubwe beginning of august
Thanks 'mites for any update :thumbs_up:

2014:
Golden Gate july 25th-27th,
Cambedoo july 30th-31th,
MZNP august 1st-4th,
Addo august 5-8th,
Tsitsikamma Storms River Mouth august 9th-11th ,Ebb and Flow : 12th-15th
Bontebok:16-17th
Agulhas:18th

2015 : KTP booked

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:11 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Floors & Goronta.

We travelled from Mapungubwe to Punda Maria in 2011. We drove to Musina and down to Makhado/Louis Trichardt(did all our fresh food shopping there) then headed to Punda. From our observations on this drive, it was by far the better option.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:49 am 

Hi Floors. We were at Mapunguwe +-4 months ago and decided against going to Punda because of 2 bridges that washed away. Maybe some of the closures have since been resolved.

The first bridge washed away on the R572 tar road between Mapungubwe and the Dongola Petrol Station en route to Musina. At that time there was no short cut. The owner of Weipe farm has closed his two gravel roads that would be a perfect detour. We were told that the armed guards would let us pass if we paid but we decided not to find out if it’s true.

From Mapungubwe going to Musina you have to track back to Alldays on the R572.
If you travel from Mazhou you travel straight on the R521 past the turn off to Mapungubwe Main gate until you see the Venetia Mine turn off on your left.

Should you travel from Leokwe you take the R572 to the t junction, turning left(turning right goes to the Pondrif border post) onto the R 521. You’ll find a tar road on your left, +-22 km before reaching Alldays. It’s a T junction.
Can’t remember what the road sign is but it should show Venetia Mine. It’s the only other tar road on the road to Alldays. It’s a lovely road with no potholes past the Venetia Diamond Mine joining the R572 again almost 100km onwards just before the Beitbrige, Musina T junction.

The next problem was if we could reach Punda via the Pafuri gate.

We always stock up at the Pick and Pay where you turn out of the Musina’s main road onto the R508 going to Tshipise. It’s a quiet little shopping place with a liquor store on hand. Much better than the shops on the main road that can be totally hectic.

At that time I received confirmation via Pafuri River Camp that repairs to the Luvuvhu River bridge should commence during our visit. We decided to stay longer at Mapungubwe .

I don’t know if you are able to reach Punda via Pafuri Gate yet. If not you will have to enter at Punda. Then you can do your shopping in Louis Trichardt.

Hope that helped a bit. Maybe somebody can confirm if Punda is reachable via Pafuri Gate.

Last edited by giraffee on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:12 pm 

this is the answer to Norman (Mapungubwe SANPark) for the R572:
"Kindly be informed That the road to Musina is still closed. They are working on a low water temporal Bridge That will not be open by the end of July Which will be a great relief to all of us" .
I await news on the possibility of entering through Pafuri Gate ... i have first night in KNP in Punda on August 12,

Lower Sabie 10/11/12 August 14
Letaba 13/14 August 14
Mana Pools 16/17/18/19/20/21/22 August 14
Hwange 25/26/27/28 August 14
Madikwe 29/30 August 14
Pilanesberg 31/1 August/Sept 14

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:49 pm 

Thank you all for the opinions and information. We are due to leave Mazhou camping and head straight for Punda Maria on September 4th. So I still have some time to see which roads are open. Please keep posting any information that comes to hand.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:51 pm 

I phoned Pafuri Gate, as we are making the same journey, and they said there is no problem getting to Punda via Pafuri - there is a dirt road bypassing the work on Luvuvhu Bridge.

"Yes! You must just come!" He said....

So, see you at the roadblock :)