SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Camp chatter
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
The Kruger camps are often a place where strangers informally chat about Kruger related things which are sometimes sad, sometimes serious and sometimes very entertaining. One evening in Orpen at the communal kitchen there was a lady who was doing her dishes together with us and she was excellent with having a conversation and doing dishes at the same time. She was there with life-long friends of hers who were also frequent visitors to Kruger. She showed us her coffee flask that she and her husband, who at that stage had recently passed away, used during their many years together and their many many visits to Kruger. What was so remarkable and special about her was her positive outlook towards life and the passion that she talked about the things dear to her and the experiences she and her late husband shared in Kruger. Although we have not seen her again after our brief encounter whilst washing dishes together we will always remember her because it was obvious that she deeply missed her life-long Kruger partner. I hope the tradition where strangers just start talking to each other in Kruger camps will live on forever as it is a wonderful way of sharing Kruger stories.

Post subject: Re: Camp chatter
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:01 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I met the most inspiring and amazing persons like that. Where you randomly meet, watching the Dam at Berg-en-Dal when a conversation starts, and never ends :thumbs_up:

The person who you would cut off on the N1 in Johburg in his/her flashy car, become your biggest friend..... Kruger is a strange place, and does strange things to us humans :lol:

Some of my best friends I met like that. Not doing dishes though :twisted:

Last edited by G@mespotter on Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:07 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
I always use the camp kitchens to pass on and get 'intelligence' for the next day while I wash up.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:43 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Bush Baptist I also found the kitchens to be a wonderful source of information to plan the trip for the next day. Sometimes I found them more helpful than the sightings boards. The chatting with other visitors when we go for a stroll along the fence can also be very rewarding. G@mespotter it is strange how people are friendlier towards each other whilst within the boundaries of the Park whilst back “on the outside” the stress takes over quickly. May Kruger forever be the place where we can make best friends.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:37 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

We had a chat while camping nearby the Crocodile river .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:35 am 

it's nice to share your days sightings and stories around the fire or in the kitchens. it's part of the experience to us. Since the sightings books dissapeared, it was our "source" listening to others. (We don't trust the new sighting boards) Also making new friends is one of the nicest things about camp shatter.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:51 pm 

@ ndloti - :big_eyes: My SO's teeth would have been chattering, but nothing would have made sense :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:33 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I am beginning to think that we should do our washing up in the communal kitchens in future, instead of in our bungalow's kitchen! :wink: Although not life long friends as yet, we have met many wonderful people in the different camps we visited! And we often remember them and talk about them, wondering if we will ever meet again. That is what is so fantastic about Kruger - People become people again. That's the only place on earth where you always see friendly faces! :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:13 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hilda it is indeed an interesting and very sociable place to get updated on experiences of other visitors and just have a chat. We also found Kruger visitors to be very friendly and relaxed.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:47 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Agree re the kitchens.

A place I found to be a good source of intel on this trip, was the pool... take the lightie for a swim, and chat with like-minded parents about what's been seen and where.

The irritation of course is running into Mr Alpha Male... if you saw a lion, he saw twelve lions in 30 seconds from leaving camp. If you saw a herd of buffalo, he saw the Guiness world record herd of buffalo. Big elephant, pffft, he saw the new Magnificent Seven in one hour. You know the type!?!? :P

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:19 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Perks. wrote:
The irritation of course is running into Mr Alpha Male... if you saw a lion, he saw twelve lions in 30 seconds from leaving camp. If you saw a herd of buffalo, he saw the Guiness world record herd of buffalo. Big elephant, pffft, he saw the new Magnificent Seven in one hour. You know the type!?!? :P

Yeah :thumbs_up: , no matter what you saw, he saw more, closer!

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Post-script... my missus often finds unusual goggas and the like, and shows them to the kids in neighbouring huts, more often than not it's something of an icebreaker with the parents.

This trip she found an enormous beetle in Berg-en-Dal, which she shared with the neighbours in the process of packing up. She also found a bat on our curtains which got relocated to a tree outside.

In Skukuza she found another bat, and picked it up with a towel. The aunty next door was adamant it shouldn't be shown to the kids. But the dad said sure. And after a few minutes, even the parents were interested, and even ouma was summoned from indoors, to have a look.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:10 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Kruger is one of those places where strangers just don't exist. I love the washing up chatter, even if I do not participate. It is such a wonderful way to finuish the day by enjoying other people's excitement.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:15 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I agree with Meandering Mouse - strangers don’t exist in Kruger. Another interesting and sometimes amusing place to hear wonderful Kruger stories and conversation is at the Punda Maria camp in the evenings around the communal braai fires. We were once entertained for quite a while by a very talkative “oom” and “tannie” who were drinking a lot of coke and ice from those water drinking glasses they have in the huts. What was wonderful about them was their passion for Kruger and the stories that got more colourful and interesting as the evening grew older. Must have been something in those glasses that got topped up regularly. They were great.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:58 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I once overheard a very “typical Kruger” story at the camp kitchen in Letaba. Two ladies were washing their dishes and the one said to the other: There is no way that we will let the men decide where we should drive tomorrow. They are completely useless, they take us on all these roads where there is no animals to be seen. Why do they always want to take us in the Satara direction? Tomorrow we will show them, we will drive to Mopani and we will see plenty of game. I am not sure whether they succeeded as I did not meet them again after that brief encounter at the camp kitchen.