Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Fotomaljohan Our 'Hot' Very Cold June 2009 Trip
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:hmz: :hmz: :hmz: Let me wait for the inspiration to publish this one! :roll: :roll: :roll:

3.30 in the morning and we couldn’t sleep anyway! So what the heck, might as well leave! All packed and stocked with thick winter woollies, heavy gloves and scarves and our ‘thermal undies’ plugged in on the charger, :wink: trailer and all, we left Brackenkell heading north, GPS set on KTP about a month ago already! :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Seven of us, SO and me, my brother and wife, his son, wife and Baby! Then after four days, my daughter and hubby will join us at Twee Rivieren.

First light (for a photo, :cam: and I had it ready since four o’ clock) near Calvinia somewhere!

If you recognise this, (and you are from Cape Town) I know that you suffer from an acute addiction (for KTP) as well!
(Somewhere near Keimoes)

2933…..2934….2935…..2936……and where is Keimoes?

:thumbs_up: This is a very nice place to overnight if you couldn’t get a booking at KTP and you HAD to leave to smell the clean Kalahari air! It is about 70 K’s beyond Upington and with plenty of Red sand underneath your HiTecks!

You can choose between a luxury apartment or a rustic bush camp or a campsite…………

……. but, (and can you believe it) with the bush camp sites arranged around plenty of water!

Even a canoe cruise is possible to photograph a Fish Eagles (yes, that’s true!) from!

……and a “bush kitchen” with a gas stove & braai area!

A pit stop at Askam for fuel and Kameeldoring braai wood top up and then the last lap to KTP not too far now…….with plenty of red dunes on either side of the road!

Arriving at the “Old Entrance to Twee Rivieren”, but booked in at Mata Mata! A quick check in and look around and then the………

…………..adventure can begin………and enough braai wood for two weeks!

Not too far down the Auob River near Houmoed, we came across this ‘staring’ BWB…..

….and not far from him a Gemsbok and some Springbok all eyes glued on something that we could not see!

Lucky for us, our “Outdoor Spotter, Jacques” (brother’s son) had his eagle eyes tuned in and focussing on the far side dunes and saw them……..preparing for the ambush! These two and a third cheetah, a little to our right and closer to the riverbed and behind the unexpected Springbok!

Then, as from nowhere, this fourth cheetah appeared from far to the left and openly walked towards the Gemsbok and circled it cautiously. Each one well aware of the other’s very useful capabilities!

Eye to eye, like two boxers!

The following five seconds or so, caught us all with our pants…. I mean cameras down!
This ‘casual cheetah’ scrambled the Springbok herd! They turned around in a cloud of dust and ran straight into the other three waiting cheetahs! Perfect ambush! Our Kombi with the trailer was facing north and the kill happened to the south, somewhere behind us with the Kombi and trailer now in “Jack Knife Mode”! Not a single photo! :slap: :slap: :slap:

What was that all about Red Horns?

This TR is now on Hold, so please be patient! :twisted:

DO NOT FORGET:
Predators at Picnic Sites, Waterholes and Toilets in KTP!

Post subject: Re: Our 'Hot' Very Cold June 2009 Trip
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:29 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:thumbs_up: OK, here we go again! :thumbs_up:

It was now time for brunch at Achterskolonie!

Not far from where we stopped and where we got out of the car, ‘en route’ to the Loos, we almost ‘missed’ this well camouflaged Puffy!

Why so shy?

Let me walk over and kick his ………A..sk me why he’s doing that?

Mother and ‘Shorty’!

….and the rest of the family at the Kameeldoring Restaurant.

Kori “B” and SO.

Cheetah mother and three cubs “after lunch” far out on the opposite dune!

….and the “kill” on the right of the picture!

Just checking out!

Golden KTP fields!

An ‘unarmed’ Gemsbok!

Giraffe remains near Dertiende Boorgat!

Ostrich family on the plains!

Time for the ‘woollies and thermal’ stuff at Mata Mata……..three below zero!

Mata Mata sunset!

The next morning is was cold and wet! Raining in KTP in June is not so normal!

Even the Springbok herd was not “out of bed” yet.

The rain that fell, painted the red dunes a deep red!

A wet and hungry BBJ thought we called him.

I’m so hungry I can eat an Oryx, but two of them with those thin sharp weapons is just too much!

I’ll rather eat him from behind!

Bhuuurrp! You thought I was joking! Now for the desert!

Excuse me Mr Blue, that BBJ almost made me believe he bit you on the bum!

OK, I’ll go, but don’t stare at my …….you know what!!!

Tel me Shorty, is it me that’s getting taller or are the trees and shrubs getting shorter!

Where did you say you hid the food?

I’ll just go and look for it on the other side of the dune!

On guard and watching in all directions!

Where did you loose it, I’m sure it’s not here?

A ‘Unicorn’ in KTP is a very rare sighting indeed!

Wait a minute!

Not now you idiot!

Gemma, was that now necessary?

Not in front of the children, couldn’t you wait?

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: End of Part Two! :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

DO NOT FORGET:

Last edited by Fotomaljohan on Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:dance: :dance: :dance: ........and I have another posting ready..........hard work mind you!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Where is that Gemsbok now? :hmz:

Oh, there it is!

And Voila!

Upsy Daisy! Let me get out of the road before they run me over!

Excuse me, are you going as far as Mata Mata by any chance?

The “old” Mata Mata entrance gate and waterhole in the back ground!

Welcome to Mata Mata! Can I show you around? Oh, before I forget, you will be able to see the filling station behind me!

Here in the tree in front of the filling station is Mr “Scops”, one of our more senior citizens.

And when it gets a little darker, you can meet Spotty the hyena, on the other side of the fence for your safety!

Time to light the fire!

We collected our passes from the Mata Mata reception after a three night stay and we were off to Twee Rivieren for one night to wait for my daughter Ilse and Brendon who will be driving up from Cape Town to-day and should arrive just before gate closing time!

Just outside the turn off to the Kalahari Tented Camp we saw this very aggressive Cape Cobra!

We really saw many Bat Eared Foxes looking for insects almost every day.

Dalkeith water hole was the venue for an animal meeting!

At the next loop, at Veertiende Boorgat we saw these Oryx and Springbok just relaxing around the water – obviously no lions around!

We were very lucky at the next waterhole, Dertiende Boorgat. A large group of 'Giffs' were busy pruning the Camel thorn trees!

After a while they cautiously approached the waterhole! Right towards us! :dance:

More towards the south, near Monro, we came across a ‘migrating’ herd of Springbok of at least 400 or more. For more than a couple of hundred meters on end! Slowly walking northwards.

We were just wondering why we enjoyed such a smooth ride to-day, when we caught up with the tractor contraption levelling the corrugations on the dune road just before Twee Rivieren. Lucky us!

We were allocated the chalet right at the far end and this is a very ‘private’ spot! I think it is No 1.

It was a perfect evening and not as cold as Mata Mata! We relaxed around camp, lit the fire and waited for Ilse & Brendon to arrive from Cape Town! They should be here any moment now!

They arrived about an hour before gate closing time!
After our “family reunion” and catching up with some news and a very nice ‘braaivleis’ meal, we went to bed satisfied and content and dreaming of what was to come the following day - NOSSOB!

“You made the night, and the darkness…all the wild animals come out. The young lions roar while they hunt, looking for food that God provides. When the sun rises, they go back and lie down in their dens.” Ps.104 vs 20 – 22

After a filling breakfast, we set off for Nossob, now with two cars.

We enjoyed the Kalahari and marvelled at the red dunes and the wonderful Auob views. ……and more dunes!

We saw the usual, but just before the “detour” turn off to Nossob over the bottom dune road, we saw this Tawny Eagle with his catch.

Pity about the detour over the bottom dune road to the Nossob river, but it turned out a very scenic and rewarding drive!

It was a beautiful morning and the dunes appeared endless!

These large desert dwellers blocked the road for a while, but we were not in a hurry!

After reaching the Nossob River and turning the car’s nose North towards Nossob Camp, we struck it lucky with these young male lions next to the road at Kij Kij.

….and then he stood up and walked off to a new patch of shade!

Almost ready to take over someone’s pride!

WE just had to go around the loop at “Marie se Draai”, anticipation in the cool Kalahari air!

The breeding vulture pair were on and around the huge nest overhanging the ‘loop’ road!

Then near “Marie se Gat” we saw this lone cheetah stopping to look back every now and then………..

What is she looking at…..or waiting for?

Then suddenly we saw them, two teenagers following mum from a distance!

It was getting late and we had to get back to base camp!
At the hide inside Nossob camp, this beautiful Yellow Billed Hornbill was posing for a photo!

….and another two came for a photo ‘shoot’!

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: Watch this space for the next Posting: The legend of the KTP EAGLE OWL! :roll: :roll: :roll:

DO NOT FORGET:

Last edited by Fotomaljohan on Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:55 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

THE LEGEND OF THE KGALAGADI EAGLE OWL!
There is a Khoi legend about a very bad witch doctor, who lost his left eye in a ritual ‘fire dance’, once tried to cast an evil spell on a very brave young warrior that ran off with the witch doctor’s only daughter. He used the wings, feathers and blood of a Giant Kalahari Eagle Owl and stirred it into a brew that he concocted in a large black pot on an open fire one full moon night! He left it simmering on the fire for the night!

The brave Khoi warrior waited for the evil witch doctor to return to the broth to test his concoction. When opportunity ‘smiled’ at the young warrior, he pushed the evil witch doctor into the broth in the large pot. He disappeared without a sound. After a while, lots of feathers appeared to be floating out of the pot! A silent Giant Eagle owl flew out of the pot and settled in a Camel thorn tree where to-day is the Kgalagadi.

When you find this mysterious owl, take a photo and look close and you will see that the witch doctor is ‘trapped forever’ inside the body of this Giant Eagle Owl!
I found him in this camel thorn tree late one afternoon, looking down at me with an evil glance in his ‘only’ good eye!

Look close!!!

When we decided to do the sundown night drive from Nossob in an open vehicle, we were all filled with a mysterious anticipation, especially after we spotted this rare legendary owl early that same evening!

An enormous thunder cloud formed just east of Nossob as we drove off in the direction of “Marie se Draai”!

The game ranger turned off into one of those “No Entry” roads and stopped after a while to give us an opportunity to enjoy the setting sun! I was more comfortable while the vehicle was moving and started fervently scanning the long grass on the opposite side while everyone else were taking photos of the sunset!

I’m not exactly sure what this is, but it could be a ‘Steenbok’ that was looking at us from the bush before it disappeared into the dark.

It was getting darker and the grass longer and everyone scanning the flanks of the Landie intensely for predators with a taste for humans!

The ranger turned back onto the narrow road towards “Marie se Gat”. He suddenly stopped to show us this ‘fresh footprint’ in the sand right next to the Landie. I was very keen to lean over the side of the Landie to take this picture, when everyone else in the Land Rover started ‘chirping’ all at once! :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

All pointing to where three lions were now in ‘stalk mode’ and their yellow eyes fixed on us, not more than eight meters away! They were on our right and a little behind us. The road was excavated so deep and the side of the road so high that they were at eye level with us (and me sitting on their side)! My SO still remarked about the very strong and unpleasant smell that was filling the air around us, she said was coming from the lions! I told her that it was NOT the lions she was smelling, but us!

When the ranger wanted to escape from the three on the right, two more came into the road at the back of the vehicle about 30 odd meters away, but now running towards us! Very scary! I read somewhere, that a lion can do 100 meters in 6 seconds when attacking. Our driver could not see the ones behind, approaching us, so all eleven of us told him so in one synchronised scream! By this time two new young lions closed the road in front of us in a perfect ambush!

When the ranger asked us to count how many lions we could see (we told him seven) and when he told us that he did not like the situation. When he said that, I stopped breathing…….and started praying! This was going to be my last photo before I died!

You will not be able to see anymore photos of this heart stopping encounter, because the rest of the photos were all just out of focus pictures of legs (of us under the seats), complete darkness and/or of the floor boards and seats of the Landie! We were all ducking down behind the seats when the driver told us to ‘hold on’ because he was going to rev up and speed pass the lions blocking the road! We made it, but I lost eleven Kilo’s.

When I recovered from the ‘shakes’ after about ten minutes and I was again able to press my camera button, I had to take this one of another owl!

Me and SO at Nossob, just before we left for our last drive to “Marie se Gat” to see if we could find the seven lions of the previous evening!

It was in this very narrow “loop” road on the way to “Marie se Gat” and about here, where we were stopped by the lions the previous evening. Look how high the side of the road is – about eye level with the lions…… but where are they now??

Wow! Look at this beautiful camel thorn tree!

Some very alert Red ‘Hartebeeste’, I wonder what they are staring at?

Oh, this is what was bothering them…..lions galore!

….and lions climbing camel thorn trees……can easily climb into an open land Rover!

Remember, the ranger (and us), were thinking there were only seven lions around us! BIG MISTAKE! We counted twelve here, including a couple of full grown males that we did not see the previous evening! Night drives at Nossob is a NO NO in future!

…..and another big black maned male lion approaching from the right!

More of them to the right! All of them in the river bed at “Marie se ‘Gat…..vol’ Leeus!”

Big male lion on a mission and not even interested in the ‘Springbokkies’!

OK, we had to say good – bye to our lion pride and we continued around the loop at Marie se Draai. Such a beautiful drive!

Just checking in the mirror if the Polo is still coming?

Not far after Kaspersdraai on the way to Dikbaardskolk, we saw these relaxing lions!

Then back over the top dune road from Dikbaardskolk to Kamqua on the Auob!

We stopped at Vaalpan for a while!

There were quite a few young ones amongst this herd.

From Kamqua we drove north (for the last time), where we found the giraffes beyond Dertiende Boorgat, but far out in the dunes.

To be continued........! :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

DO NOT FORGET:

Last edited by Fotomaljohan on Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:20 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: OK, I'm ready to post yet another episode of our KTP adventure.........I hope you will enjoy it! :D :D

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

…….and a far off cheetah back at Dertiende Boorgat…….but coming closer!

He walked right passed these ostriches and more or less towards us…...

….and passed a few BWB’s.

The cheetah was on a mission and only looked back at the BWB’s a few times.

But the BWB herd did not like his presence and seem to follow him in a bundle as if to chase him away! They were very agitated ( I took a video of this strange behaviour.)

The cheetah looked at us briefly!

Nothing exciting happened with this cheetah and we left, after he disappeared in a distance.
Closer to Monro, this fellow was watching us from the safety of his patch!

Then he changed direction and studied something else!

It was rather cold, so this little pigmy falcon had his ‘jersey’ on!

……and a PCG was on guard duty!

Then luck was on our side……. :dance: four cheetahs near Monro right next to the road and these two were looking at some Springbok too far for them!

The other two were sitting under a tree next to the road. Look at the collar and the aerial!

More pictures!

Oh, and a good eye contact…… a photographers dream! :cam: :cam: :cam:

Then the last one joined the other three in a sunny spot next to the tree!

One of the cheetahs were looking at us, while the others saw something more interesting!

After about a half hour and when more cars appeared, they saw enough of Homo sapiens and took a short cut over the nearest dune! GONE….just like that!

We were now on our way to Twee Rivieren and when we approached the intersection from the dune road near Samevloeiing water hole, we could not believe our luck! A Leopard in broad day light! :dance: :dance: :dance:

He was on his way to the Samevloeiing water hole and we made a U –turn with him walking right next to the car!

He was very thirsty and stayed at the water hole for quite a while……..just drinking water!

He looked up briefly to see if everything was safe around the waterhole.

Then he played for a while……and went back to the water!

How lucky can one get, with the light just right to take as many photos as possible!

Close up! The experts say this is KRUIPER, one of MAJA’s twins (second ‘litter’)!

Then I saw what he was about to do and waited for the perfect moment!! There was a narrow strip of ground between the two water holes and I knew cats do not like water! He was going to go through that narrow patch of dry ground, leaving a perfect reflection in the water! :cam: :cam: :cam: Got it!!!

Satisfied with this wonderful sighting we drove off to TR for our last night’s stay in KTP and a nice braai!

From here to Augrabies National Park for two nights…..and what a surprise!

To be continued…………soon! My final Posting of this TR! :( :( :(

DO NOT FORGET:

Last edited by Fotomaljohan on Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Did you like it so far? :huh: :huh: :huh:

OK, I won't keep you waiting any longer, so here goes! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

The Final episode - KTP to Augrabies National Park :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

What a beautiful red dune farewell to our very memorable KTP trip!

……and the long road to Upington gives one enough opportunity to sort out the nice memories!

The very modern and comfortable bungalows at Augrabies…..and a stunning Park to use as a pit stop to and from KTP!

The very neat network of “Catwalks & Viewing Decks” to the Augrabies Falls!

……and the view from the bungalows!

……and the finally the timeless Falls!

The family waving at the photographer from the lower lookout!

Evening came too soon…..but with a promise for more to explore the next day!

The last rays of the sun disappeared over the mighty Gariep!

The next day we drove into the Park and I must admit, I have seldom witnessed such a diverse variety of beautiful landscapes concentrated in one area! Like the ‘Moon Rock’ and many other jewels!

…..and beautiful winding roads through the park!

…..and how about this? A herd of Eland, not even in KRUGER have I seen this!

A lone quiver tree on guard duty!

….and looking far into Namibia……just hills as far as you can see!

The view from Ararat!

Same place, but looking down at the View Point!

Looking up the gorge towards Augrabies Camp!

The road back to the Camp! One more night and our last braai before we take on the road back to Cape Town!

On our way home we stopped at the Clanwilliam Dam, overflowing….what a sight!

Home sweet home is when I can see Table Mountain from my balcony like this!
THE END of a wonderful and blessed trip!

DO NOT FORGET:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]