Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Encourage rather than discourage children
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:38 pm 

As Wildcard holders and pensioners we decided to treat three of our grandchildren to a day visit to KNP, thinking that gate fees will be very reasonable for three minors, the oldest being 7.

We were shocked and appalled to learn that small children pay the same gate fees as adults.

There is no other place that I am aware of where small children are charged adult rates, they even receive rebates on public transport facilities where they occupy a full seat.

Small children tire quickly so our trip was much shorter than usual, exiting at about 12:00.

We feel that children should be encouraged to develop a love for nature and welcomed to SANParks facilities where they should enjoy reduced prices, even free access.

This was a disappointing experience, more so due to the fact that we will now have to think twice before taking the grandchildren into the parks again.

Post subject: Re: Encourage rather than discourage children
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

JanGreeff Hi, I tend to agree with you. When our kids and grandkids were camping with us when last we were at KNP, we rode around with the smallest grandchild (in his car seat - he was 4 years old at the time) he slept for 90% of the time. The 9 year old was awake and attentive and asked questions. They were in on their family wildcard. I do think children should be encouraged to love wild life and our Sanparks.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:32 pm 

I agree. It is ridiculous that they should have to pay the same price as an adult.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:53 pm 

Agreed. As Delene says, the smaller ones spend most of the time sleeping or playing anyway. One feels sort of cheated.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:34 pm 
Guru
Guru

Dear Forumites,

A lot has been said regarding pricing for conservation fees for children (between 2 and 11 years sold). Please keep in mind that South Africans pay reduced amount from the standard conservation fee amounts (at a quarter of the standard conservation fee). In addition, the Wild Card is very well structured to promote family units in terms of pricing when comparing individual and couple card prices. Irrespective of the benefits and or impact that is referred to a few times in previous forum submissions, I believe that rates for South African are very reasonable and rightfully so! At the time of implementation of new conservation fee structure in June 2003, it was seriously contemplated to just have the standard conservation fee and the the various Wild Card options.

Kind regards.

JOEP

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:01 pm 

I think that you are missing the point by arguing around it Joep.

It can be regarded as universal policy to charge a reduced fee for children. It has become almost universally accepted policy for third world countries to charge more for foreigners as well, but this does not alter the fact that South Africans feel the pinch in Rands as is they were dollars.

The point is that visitors feel that children should pay reduced rates for the reasons stated in the forum but conveniently ignored in your reply.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:39 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

This only really affects day visitors children without a wild card. :hmz:

I took my son of 4yrs to lion park recently(can only be there a few hours), kiddies rate R70 there are other "reserves" around here where Lion Park is cheapest.

So my question is, is the kiddies rate right at the park and adult rate extremely discounted that they only pay the same price as a kid?

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:10 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I agree with Jan Greeff.

Children should be encouraged to visit the National Parks, the affluent and those as old as myself may not feel the pinch but imagine the cost to a young family.

The argument that South Africans already get a discounted entrance fee just does not wash with me, we already pay our taxes and surely are entitled to the fee. To me the structure is that non RSA residents pay an increased fee.

Do yourself a favour and calculate the actual cost of visiting the Parks, fuel, entrance/conservation fees, accommodation, an ice cream plus a few other minor luxuries and you may be surprised

I get the impression that SANParks do not really consider the implications the, or really care about their decisions, e.g these costs as well as the check in times and . . . . and . . . . and.

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:37 am 

Sanparks, like most similar cumbersome organizations, will simply ignore comments and subjects that scratch on the sides of the comfort zones, like in this case.

Joep obviously feels that, having commented once, not even addressing the real issue at stake, is sufficient.

I wish to re-iterate that the policy to charge minors at adult rates is totally out of line and should be reviewed.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I also support much reduced entrance fees for children. At least half adult fee!

Last edited by kite on Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:49 pm 
Guru
Guru

Dear All,

I understand the frustration and problem and undertake to initiate measures to change the pricing. All I was laying on the table in my previous submission is that children are very much promoted in the pricing of Wild Cards, in particular the family versions.

Kind regards.

JOEP

Unread postPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:23 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Just a thought (stirring the pot? :whistle: ), but if a "couples" card can be any two adult persons, why can't a "family" card be for any two adults and two children. That way, grandparents could have a family card for themselves with two grandchildren?

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Unread postPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:00 pm 
Guru
Guru

Dear Arks,

Thanks for posting. At this stage the requirement is that children on a Family Wild Card must be legally be those of at least of one of the adults on this card. Currently, SANParks wishes to keep it that way. As the loyalty component is being developed, it might be realised that this could change. For now grandchildren should be on the Family Wild Card with their parent/s and this can then be used when travelling with grandparents.

Thank you.

JOEP

Unread postPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I suppose some of that makes sense, IF the family already has a family card. But often grandparents (want to) bring children whose famiy doesn't have a WC .... for example, if grandparents are traveling with grandchildren from overseas. Given how expensive the WC now is for overseas visitors, this seems to me to add an unnecessary financial burden, since an overseas family would be unlikely to have a family card if only the grandparents and grandchildren were traveling. I just feel that SANParks needs to be more flexible in their thinking.

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Unread postPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:53 am 
Guru
Guru

Dear Arks,

It's all about how the business model is put together. SANParks aims to achieve a certain conservation fee (including Wild Card) in order to fulfill it's mandate. If the policy on family composition is changed, it irrevocably will have an impact on the revenue, which then has to come from somewhere else. Keep in mind that the Wild Card membership was aimed at long staying and regular guests. Everybody will not necessarily find benefit from Wild Card membership and will opt to rather pay conservation fees. The current Wild Card options do cater for the broad mainstream of our guest composition.

Kind regards.

JOEP

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next