Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shingwedzi trip
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:24 am 

DuQues wrote:
Elsa wrote:
Did you get to see any nice big tuskers?

Good question! We will be there in 10 days, so any info on their whereabouts would be handy.

We saw one in the river bed towards the bridge :)

Post subject: Re: Share your great sightings in Kruger here
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:44 pm 

For me a great sighting is even greater if captured in a beautiful photo and I have had many wonderful sightings in Kruger which I will never forget - it is truly paradise. Only a small amount of photo's that is worth bragging about though - here are some of the better ones from our 2008 visit.

Biyamiti 6-6-2011 to 8-6-2011
Skukuza 9-6-2011 to 10-6-2011

Post subject: Re: 6 Male lion pride in Croc Bridge area, confirm ??
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: South Africa, Mpumalanga, Middelburg....289km from KNP!!!
Attention w1tw0lf and company!!! :twisted:

The following pictures are a series of shots taken on the 10th of January 2011 on the H4-2 tar road, just about 2km outside the Crocodile Bridge Camp between the S25 and S28 sand roads in Kruger National Park. We left camp in the early part of the morning and didn’t have to drive too long before we seen the yellow eyes of Lions!

At first we thought it was a Pride, but as dawn broke its light we realised something extraordinary and unusual. We counted 2 male Lions, then a 3rd head lifted up from the tall grass and soon another 2! We couldn’t believe our luck, 5 male Lions together! But then from nowhere a 6th male Lion lifted his head! A coalition of 6 Male Lions sitting not more than 20 meters from us, this was something special!
We sat with them for about 45 minutes before they decided to move on. It looked like these brutes were on a serious mission, perhaps a pride take-over? The only other sighting that I know of where there were more than 6 Male Lions seen together, was the famous Mapogo coalition of the Sabie Sands.

To all the sceptics out there, here is the hard evidence in pictures! :naughty: :sniper: :rtm:

The Lion with the skew face seemed like the dominant Male of the coalition, as he was the only one roaring.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:38 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

A shot of all 6 together
One Male decided to get up and stretch...
Then sit back down...
The reflection in their eyes is distinctive
All posing together

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Looks like the Boys are rallying together for battle...
Coming towards the road...
Crossing over...
The first 3 males crossed...
Then the remaining 3 followed suit including the Lion with 1 eye...
The last Lion looked like a Barbary Lion with his Huge mane...

Thank You!

Post subject: Re: 6 Male lion pride in Croc Bridge area
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:55 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Here are my pics of this coalition. Not as good as Gunners as they were very very sleepy at the time and totally inactive.

Here are 5 of them. The 6th one was lying away on the left of these 5 and I could not get him in the shot.

DSC_1588 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

The one with the blue eye.

DSC_1626.1JPG (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

If someone can kind of join the two pics below - one to the left of the tree and the other to the right of the tree - we might see all 6 together except that the one in the middle has moved.

DSC_1621 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

DSC_1601 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

Lets hope that this is not the last we see of these 6 guys.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:37 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We saw these two males also about 2kms from Croc Bridge near the tar road on 8 January 2011. The one seems to have TB and the other was limping. Apparently there were also females nearby but we did not see them.
By now I suppose they are no longer the CB pride males.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:29 pm 

A few pictures taken on 27 April 2010 on the S28 about 1km from Nthandanyati. We found a male and female lying under a tree early morning. We then noticed that someting in the tree has there attention and saw the lioness in the tree.

Look carefully

The lioness became even more stressed and was peeking towards Nthandanyati's side.

We then noticed another 2 males coming from Nthandanyati's side. One of them was blue eye

The one initially laying under the tree was not happy. Another 2 appeared from the back of the road. We then also noticed a sixth one laying a few metres behind the tree.

The 2 coming from Nthandanyati's side and the 2 arriving from the back seemed like a coalition as the 4 immediatly joined.

There was a total of 6. One under the tree with lioness, another a few metres behind the tree and the other 4 were then lying down very close by. The lioness in the tree were terified. We had to leave and did not see what happened, but according to Scary Cat, she got out later that afternoon and escaped.

I don't know if anybody could use these photies to compare them. Sorry about the quality

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:46 am 

This is a collection of our Lower Sabie pics in 2006. I know it's old but I still love it!

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:49 am 

We decided yesterday around mid morning that Lower Sabie might be a good place for lunch, so headed off down the mighty Sabie river for a quick trip to paradise. After a scrumptious pie we decided to take the "long" way home and returned via the Salitje road.
Right next to the road and in the heat of the day we found

I could not believe there was nobody else in sight :hmz:

the doggies kept looking down the riverbed, and soon enought they got up

Had a good stretch

And trotted off down the riverbed

Talk about right place at the right time !!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:55 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
1976 - First ever ever cheetah sighting near Paul Kruger Gate!!

1979 - First ever ever lion sighting - enjoying the shade near Pretoriouskop!!

1979 - Lioness chasing a baboon and both ran in front of us through the reeds near Lower Sabie!!
(Sadly no time for a photo!!)

2002 - Lions and wild dog sharing a waterhole on H1-4.
(Sadly too far away for a photo!)

2009 - Lion and cheetah sightings just as we were due to leave the park on S28 within a couple of minutes of each other. We had been in the park a week, and had given up hope that we would see either as time went on!!

2010 - First lilac breasted roller and grey heron sightings, since becoming interested in birding.

2010 - 20 lions in one sighting, though photos taken separately, and only a selection!!

Loads more but you'd soon get bored!!!!
If you're not already!!

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm 

Last year in September, I was on a mission to find Leopard!

I was very fortunate to have 7 sightings in 12 days. This one tho', was my best and most special 'boy'.
I saw him on the S89, Ngotso Weir road, on the way to Olifants. There was only one other car there, with me, at the time too.

LOWER SABIE - 30th Sept.& 1st/2nd Oct.
OLIFANTS - 3rd/4th Oct.
SATARA - 5th/6th Oct.
SKUKUZA - 7th/8th Oct.
BERG EN DAL - 9th Oct.

Post subject: "Windgat" Kidnapper
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:47 pm 

Hi Everyone

I know there is a thread on the Forum about unusual sightings, but I feel my special experience could somehow justify its own thread.

Having grown up on the front stoep of the Kruger (Phalaborwa), its only natural that I have had more trips into the Park than I can remember. All I can say is that each and everyone was a real special occasion, a real treat, even if the midsummer heat was a bit of a problem in the 60's and 70's - air-cons in cars were unheard of back then!

It was a Sunday in the early 70's, and my old man thought it would be a good idea to take a drive to Olifants camp for lunch. My mum had to work, and did not come with us.

After a pretty uneventful couple of hours on the road to Letaba, my dad turned into the S69 loop. As we approached the first dip through the river, we noticed a car parked in the river bed. Driving slowly up to the car, we all had a good look around, but saw nothing. My dad then asked the driver of the other car what he had seen, and we were told to be patient as the object of interest would be back soon.

Sure enough, about 3 minutes later a youngish (teenager?) baboon came down from the opposite river bank, and plonked himself down on the rocks about 10m from the two cars. He then made a great spectacle of showing us his prize, a very small leopard cub. He "mothered" it as best he could, but obviously the cub was not at all happy and make this pretty obvious to everyone within hearing distance.

The baboon was pretty nervous (I would also be If I had stolen a leopard's kid) and after about 10 minutes he decided that the show was over. He simply turned around and went back to the river bank to the safety of his troop. We stayed on for some considerable time, but that was it - he didn't come back for a curtain call.

My dad took a number of photos, but due to the special nature of the sighting he got the exposure totally wrong :redface: - with the old telephoto lenses, one had to open the aperture to get enough light into the viewfinder to focus, and then close it again to the correct value before pressing the shutter. Of course my dad in his nervousness forgot to close the aperture ring, and the shots were all overexposed by some 3 to 4 stops.

I've scanned the prints of the old photos I've got - had to doctor them a bit to correct the effects of overexposure and the discoloured aging photo paper.

ENJOY!

BTW - the driver of the other car also made a number of good quality :lol: photographs and sold them to a local magazine if I remember correctly - possibly even made it into the Custos magazine of the time.

Cheers till next time
Fankie

Post subject: Re: "Windgat" Kidnapper
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:19 pm 

Sorry to disappoint you Roxy, Elsa and Flutterby .........and all other curious Mites - no happy end here.

The baboon took the cub with him when he disappeared into the vegetation with his troop. Suppose that's the way nature works.

Glad to have been able to share the sighting with you all

Cheers
Fankie

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:56 pm 

I went to Balule for the night on Saturday, and had some awesome sightings.

On Friday afternoon at Ngotso dam I was convinced I was going to see my first ever lion kill.

First these wildebeest walked no more than 5m from this lioness who had been stalking them for ages.

Then she decided to go after the zebra instead:

But once again gave up before she was even detected.
Unfortunately i had to leave to get back to Balule, so have no idea if she was successfull once darkness fell.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next