Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 6
 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Aat & Elly TR 2010 Story 12 -Dinner Guest- page 18 upd 15/0
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:17 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Story 12 of our trip oktober 8th till november 4th
(Stories are random through the trip, not following a day to day trip report)

Story 12 – Unexpected Dinner Guest in Mopani

This short story is a about a unexpected dinner guest in Mopani Camp. :big_eyes:
After a wonderful but very hot day (48 Celcius) in Mopani area with meeting big tusker Mac as one of the highlights we (elly and I) were enjoying sundowners and I started a braai (bbq). For tonight we prepared a whole chicken so were waiting till the chicken was “well done”.

Before I continue… we occupied hut nr 102 with a great view on the dam and kruger.
We saw lightnings far away caused by an upcoming thunderstorm….

It was hot…really hot…drinking cool drinks, just some noice of hippo’s down and enjoying the sounds and smells of kruger….
Then foodsteps nearby…. Who? Ok… it was the camp ranger… warning us that a leopard was reported in the camp….so be carefull if you walk to your car etc….. :shock: :shock:

A bit later…chicken told us he/she was well done and ready to be consumed, salad ready , rose wine ready….what do you need more …. Feeling prince and princess in our beloved kruger…

We were just eating when elly said…imagine the leopard shows himself now… Mmm I said I hope I can make some pictures then :) :) :) … but being realistic… you start thinking of it…so every noice allerts you.

5 minutes later… A noice in the bush just about 10 meters away and two “burning” eyes were looking at us…. :big_eyes: Oh noooo… the leopard ?? Our hearts were pounding and not feeling relaxed anymore….
My camera is always nearby … this was first thing we saw…
-
-
Pfffffffffffffffffff it was a Genet :D :)
-
The Genet jumped on the rocks just 5 meters from us and looked at us , probably smelling the chicken and decided to join us for dinner.
-
-
A little flashback earlier today… when we were driving to Mopani we were talking about our last trip when we had company of a Genet during dinner and with a smile we said , should be nice to see the Genet again this year.
-
So what happened ? Same place in Mopani (hut 102) and yesss the Genet visited us again… how is it possible …. :hmz:
-
Well , the Genet felt very relaxed and just some meters from us he/she layed and sat down on the rock…
-
-
-
-
We continued eating…even getting up to pick something from the braai or from the fridge…no problem the Genet didn’t move.
-
-
-
-
The Genet made a move and we thought he was about to leave but no… came even closer and sat down 2 meters from our table… (no we did not give him anything…)
-
-
-
The Genet was more then half and hour with us… so lovely ….
-
Then he moved , jumped into a tree and left us…
-
-

A short story but for us really worth to share with you… not a dinner as usual with company of a beautiful Genet…

This was story 12, hope you enjoyed our dinner with Genet….

Till next story about …. Could be a Roaring one…..

Last edited by Aat on Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Aat & Elly TR 2010 Story 13 -BIRDS part II- page 20 upd 20/
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:57 pm 

(Stories are random through the trip from oktober 8th till november 4th and not a day to day trip report)

Story 13 – Interactive story about BIRDS (part II)

This is an interactive story about birds in kruger narrated by a beautiful young Bateleur BATTY
As said in part I, I am not a birder so I just don’t know the names. That’s why I need your help. I know there are a lot of birders / stiffnecks around so I trust on your knowledge.

Introducing BATTY a young Bateleur Eagle who will guide you through Kruger and will ask for the name of the bird if needed.
-
Hello…I am BATTY and guide you around to ask you sometimes for the names of the birds I not often or rarely see in Kruger. If I don’t put the name next to the picture please help me to ID ok ?
First of all, this is me, please to meet you all
-
-
I take off and just passing some rocks where I see a couple of Laughing Doves
-
-
Since I am a bit thirsty I fly to a nice place called Lake Panic, close to Skukuza and I see some friends down there
-Great White Egret
-African Darter
and
-Grey Heron
-
From here I fly north and not far from Tshokwane I see a special bird in a tree I have never seen before here, not as beautiful as we Bateleurs are but …not bad… you know who this is?
-
- Crowned Hornbill
-
Next morning after some stretching and warming up my wings I fly to the S25 (between Crocodile Bridge and Berg en Dal) and in one of the trees I see a Giant Eagle Owl…mhhh impressive :roll:
-
-
-
A bit further I see family, it is my uncle BIG BAT… just like to say HI to him… :) :)
-
-
Ohh it is so nice to fly over Kruger , feeling free and enjoying the nice weather. Another nice bird , part of the Kingfisher family
-
- Brown Hooded Kingfisher
-
You know…In Kruger there are many different flying predators like me and this one is really posing for you… not sure about his name , do you know?
-
-Tawny Eagle (pale form)
-
-
-
After a break for lunch I fly in a different direction towards Satara , along the dirtroad S36 close to Muzandzeni I see a beautiful bird. I am young so don’t know who this is..please help
-
- Purple Roller
-
-
Near the main hehehehe… I see one I know , a Kori Bustard, the biggest flying bird in Kruger
-
-
Some KM’s away , just passed Satara camp towards Olifants there I see a flying Vulture , it is a Lappetfaced vulture , ready for touch down
-
-
and probably there are some leftovers of a carcass because I see another vulture flying to the spot… a whitebacked vulture
-
-
and some other whitebacked vultures have a conversation on the ground…
-
-
Sitting in a tree I watch the biggest non-flying bird here , it is an Ostrich (female)
-
-
-
So …enough for today… time to get some food and sleep… see you tomorrow
-
Goooooodddd morning again… my last tour date with you…
First birds today… some smaller ones …oh no…forgot their names and I have no book like some of you have so help me ….
-
- Lilac Breasted Roller
-
- Blue Waxbill
-
Leaving the Satara area and heading to Phalaborwa … I am almost singing “The long and winding road” while flying over the H9… Time for some other predators of the sky. A nice bird but don’t know his name
-
- Dark chanting goshawk
Image-
-
-
I love this route…it is open so I have a wide view … and we are lucky I guess… in front of us I see a more predators but the name ???
-
- Immature martial eagle
-
-
and 200 meters ahead… a predator who is on hunt … looking at his body-language…
-
- Tawny Eagle
-
-
Lunch time guys… after that I will fly from Phalaborwa to Mopani and see if we can find some more for you
-
Close to Mopani , near the H1-6 (Middelvlei waterhole) I see a couple of Secretary Birds… (seen 7 in total this trip at 4 different places)
-
-
-
Hmmmm how lovely…beautiful colours and small… uhhh who is it ??
-
- White fronted bee-eater
-
-
I am now flying back to my parents and other family members…but first I like to show this beautiful big predator… name?
-
- Tawny eagle pale form
-
-
So… I see my family and like to say goodbye to you. Hope you liked the Bird_Trip and maybe see you around when you are in Kruger…
_
Mommmm…..Daddyyyyyyy, Uncle…. Here I am …
-
-
-

Thanks BATTY… I can’t fly and would never been able to show all these birds to my friends here… glad you came along and willing to do this tour

Thanks for helping me with the ID’s of the birds and hope you like the story… next story will be a Roaring story….promised

Last edited by Aat on Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Aat & Elly TR Story 13 -BIRDS part II- page 20 update 20/1
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Your Batty needs to join the "Birding school for ducklings" :wink:

Beautiful photos of unknown birds :wink:

1. Laughing doves
2. Gret white egret
3. African darter
4. Grey heron
5. African grey hornbill *edit* crowned hornbill
6. Brown hooded kingfisher
7. Tawny eagle
8. Tawny eagle pale form
9. Idem
10. Purple roller
11. Idem
12. Lilac breasted roller
13. Blue waxbill
14. Dark chanting goshawk
15. Idem
16. Immature martial eagle
17. Idem
18. Tawny eagle
19. Idem
20. White fronted bee-eater
21. Idem
22. Tawny eagle pale form
23. Idem
I stand to be corrected though

Last edited by Micetta on Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Aat & Elly TR Story 14 -by (Lio)Nessa- page 21 update 24/1
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:35 pm 

Story 14 of our trip oktober 8th till november 4th

Story 14 – Lionesses on a mission

This story is about Lionesses on a mission, told by Nessa
Location: Lower Sabie - H10 just after junction to S29 direction Tshokwane
November 3rd 2010, time 05:40 in the morning….

First… We just left Lower Sabie and following my 6th sense I took the H10 to Tshokwane. Doubting about taking the S29 or driving straight on the tarred road… again, inner voice told me to follow the H10…. We just came around a corner and then… Nessa and her sisters on a mission…

Hey…. My name is Nessa, I am the oldest of the three sister you see here and leading this mission. It’s a beautiful day and we felt a bit hungry so as sisters we decided to find food. We just came out of the bush and walked on this road. From here we have a nice lookout and walking is easier on the road then throught the high grass here. As you can see, no men around , it’s a real ladies-day pffffff…. We don’t really need these men all the time…they just take the food we find and leftovers are for us… so Lionesses-Power !! :rtm:
-
Well, this is me (at the back) and my two other sisters.
-
-
-
ssssttttttt….. quiet… just whispering… we smell food ….
-
-
-
We smell food but just don’t see it… mmmm…smells like zebra’s , let’s have a look…
-
and
-
Before real action I am allways getting a bit nervous…. So have to go to the bathroom… :redface:
-
-
Do I hear something …?
-
We walked a bit through the high grass and smelled Zebra…but they smelled us too and disappeared…. Snorrrrrrr….. not easy so let’s see if there is something at the other side of the road….
-
-
-
No much to see here either…looks empty :(
-
-
My sisters came to me and asked me what to do next….
-
-
Good question… ehhhh let me think…. :hmz:
-
-
Ahhhh…I do remember that the other cats (Nessa means Cheetah’s) always use termite hills for a better lookout… maybe I’ll try one and see if that makes sense…
-
-
Aiii…balancing for a lioness like me is more difficult then these tiny “other cats”
-
-
Yessssssssss I see a group of zebra further away…..sisters…. follow me through the high grass… we go for breakfast…. byeeeeeeee
-
-

Taking over from Nessa…

Thanks Nessa, it was a great pleasure to see you and your sisters from so close and to follow your movements and watching your behaviour…. We mainly see you sleeping somewhere in or behind bushes …and now in action :) :)
It’s a snapshot of how you live and act….

This was the beginning of a fantastic day with more lions and other animals… that’s for another story…
That night in Lower Sabie ended with a big bushfire in the area of Mlondozi… some pictures I took from our hut in Lower Sabie at 9:45 in the evening…
-
and
-

Hope you like this story about a sighting as we had early in the morning… and got the feeling as we had… life can be beautiful

Next story....maybe more Lions ...Roar's brothers ?? :tongue:

Last edited by Aat on Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Aat & Elly TR Story 15 -ROAR-ing Kruger- page 23 update
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:53 am 

Story 15 of our trip oktober 8th till november 4th

Story 15 – Roaring in Kruger

This story is about Roar’s family and friends, told by ROAR

First… One of the previous stories (3) was about ROAR and his pride in the Satara area and he promised to come back with a story about his relatives and friends throughout his homeland Kruger. :) :)

Roarrrrrrrrrrr (how do you do…) You might remember me from story 3 about my pride and the elephants…
Well…. I am going to guide you through Kruger and show you many brothers, cousins, uncle’s, Dad and friends….
-
For the ones who did not read story 3 , this is me, my name is ROAR.
-
-
I live in the Satara area.
Roarrrrrr…. I walk down the S100 towards Satara Camp and just around the corner along the H7 I see my cousin HANDSOME…name given by himself. Every morning he looks into the water like a mirror and does his hair…. He thinks he is pretty and the lionesses adore him…Roarrrrrr , well he needs more to get them…I know :wink: :wink:
This is him….
-
-
-
-
After saying hello to him I have to go back to my wifes…can’t leave them alone too long so returning to the S100. Heyyyy I see two uncle’s on both sides of the road… to the left I see uncle SAM :dance:
-
and
-
At the other side of the road there is uncle THOM…. Wind is blowing through his hair…roarrrrrr He is a big and impressive one
-
-
-
-
Time to sleep now…. , tomorrow more family and friends for you…Roarrrrrrr
-
I have to do some shopping in Phalaborwa, my wife wants a wedding ring so on my way… along the road H9 close to Nhalanganini waterhole I see two old friends…PRINCE and KING
Hey guys …. All well with you ?….roaarrrrrrrr
-KING
-
-PRINCE
-
Give me a break….what a long walk that was…but…my wife liked the ring and walks around as a proud lady. So a bit time for you and taking you to the S126 (Sweni) for my brother RORY ( he is bit jealous since he can’t find a wife…he tried even Lion dating sites but no replies :hmz: ) Think that is the reason he does not want to see me ( I have 4 wifes) :whistle: :whistle:
-
-
-
Getting a bit thirsty and not far away from Girivana waterhole so…let’s have a drink
Great…I see my cousin LIONELL …wowww he is rich, having a big pride (6 wifes and 4 children) Roarrrrrrr great to see you cousin… have a nice day :thumbs_up:
-
-
-
Back again to my beloved S100 area with lots of juicy meat I see my youngest brother LAZY and like always laying down, sleeping…snorring …. :doh:
-
-
-
Next day….. Roarrrrrr…. You know I have some friends up north but it is too far to walk…so I take a ride with this man who is following me all the time and making pictures…. :cam:
Between Shingwedzi and Mopani I see NERO, but he is just going into the bush
-
-
Roarrrrrrrr…. My mobi-lion-phone rings…. Heyyyyy friend…I am in the area …where are you guys ?…. “Mooiplaas”… ahhh ok I am not too far so see you in 15 minutes… :)
-
Roarrrrrr… two cousins who left Satara area two years ago and settled here near Mopani…. They call themselves the Confluence Pride…. Well… not bad here…quiet area.. what a difference with Satara…
Whole pride here and just two of these blinking rolling strange roaring things with humans in it….
My cousins were the “black sheep” of the family… that’s why they got their names ROCK & ROLL…. :dance: :dance:
-
-
-
-
And see how ROCK has changed into a nice caring dad…. :hmz:
-
-
-
I had dinner with them and slept here…. Great place and humans think that you can only find Elephants here….Roarrrrrrrr :tongue: :tongue:
-
After a few days I returned to Satara and along the H7 , close to Nsemani dam I heard some roaring…. Sounds familiar and yessss… it is my Daddy … he is getting a bit bold now but close to him his 8th wife…Roarrrrr…think he has been “busy” with her since he is yawning all the time…
-
-
-
-
Ahhhhh… almost forgot two friends in the south, near Lower Sabie…
Arriving late …but close to Sunset Dam… how applicable at the time I met them…
SABY & SANDY… they invited me for a drink near the dam… light is fading away
-
-
-
Well…. I promised to show you my family and friends and with the light fading out the lion-tour is also coming to an end….. Roarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Thanks ROAR…. It was a real pleasure to have you with me and meeting your family and friends around your country….
Time to say goodbye for now and see you next story about …… ehhhhh :hmz:

Hope you liked this one too….

Last edited by Aat on Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Aat & Elly TR Story 16 -Eland & Tsessebe- page 24 upd 2/
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:35 pm 

Story 16 of our trip oktober 8th till november 4th

Story 16 – Story about Eland and Tsessebe
Oktober 25th 2010

This story is about meeting more antelopes in the Mopani area. In story 7 you all met ARNO the Roan Antelope. I like to give him the opportunity to introduce you to some other antelope family members.
ARNO takes over from here ….have a nice journey with him through my beloved Mopani area.
Hello again ! I am ARNO, a ROAN antelope, introduced myself in story 7 earlier, so I skip that part. For the new story visitors a picture of me so you won’t forget to say hello when you are in Mopani
-
-
I like to start the day to take you with me along the Capricorn Loop just outside Mopani camp. I am near Mooiplaas Windmill waterhole now and I see some members of another antelope family, they have a more difficult name then I have. Roan is easy but Tsessebe is a name I am always struggeling with….
-
These days are very hot here and the waterhole is a place te be at the moment…. Hi TESS, a good morning to you and your family
-
-
Rest of the family is walking to the waterhole …
-
-
-
-
I walk a bit further and see another Tsessebe I know, it is SEB. We know each other some time now and he is a great friend.
-
-
-
I think SEB is a proud father now… look at his family with the young children, good to see the youngsters.
-
-
-
That’s nice… the two younsters and 3 ostriches just behind them…
-
-
After a long walk I arrived near the Tihongonyeni waterhole. A group of Tsessebe’s is walking just ahead of me on the road… hey guys …how are you doing…
-
-
-
Time to have some food with my family and we will walk back towards Mooiplaas… so good nigth for now and see you back tomorrow….
-
Next day…. With a wonderful surprise …..
-
Heyyyyyyy …. You all slept well ? We did and I like to take you with me for meeting another antelope family. This antelopes do not show themselves very often so you are lucky today…. Very very lucky… :) :) I just arrive at Mooiplaas and behind the waterhole I see a big group of Eland … To be honest with you , I don’t know them personally because they are always in the bush…..
I really think that the heath made them to get out and looking at them, they are on their way to the waterhole but it looks like they hesitate ….
-
-
Ahhhhhhh I now see the reason they are hesitating …. It’s this ugly mean animal in the waterhole….. Hyena …brrrrrrrrrrr…I don’t like them… tsssssssssss
-
-
-
Well the hyena is sleeping now so let’s have a better look at the Eland… I am also interested in them …so quiet…
-
-
-
Mhhhhh this is really weird…. To the left on the hill…after the waterhole I see relatives…. Wowwww… Eland and Roan almost together but just not close enough to capture them in one view
- these pics are not that good quality but it fits in the story and the whole impression
-
-
-
And to the right the Eland … I will relax and take my time to have a look at them… join me and enjoy the Eland…like you are in you car watching them…
-
-
-
-
-
-
I like to watch them…. Just a pitty they cannot go to the waterhole to have a closer look at them…. They stay at a distance and with this heath… the air is thrilling… need my sunglasses..
-
-
-
-
-
So happy with them … it is a special day… Normally I see many elephants and buffalo around but today it is special for me too… so let’s enjoy a bit more , you never know when you see them again
-
-
-
-
-
It is what I thought … they are about to leave since the hyena is still near the waterhole so they cannot drink … so sad for them… :(
-
-
-
-
-
Soooooo that was it for today….. maybe see you around for another story about this amazing area.
-
Well…. Taking over from ARNO… yesss what a day again in Mopani.
Looking at the previous stories we met Lions, Leopard, Big Tuskers, Roan (several times) and now Tsessebe and Eland !!
I think the Eland sighting was one of our specials…highlights of the trip. :) :)
I looked at the Mammals forum with the Eland and it looks like sightings with them are rare.. so very very lucky again …. We were breathless at the time we saw them… and even more enjoying when we saw Eland and Roan at the same time… to wide from each other to make a picture with both of them on it … the heath made photographing difficult since the air making the view out of focus all the time… I hope you enjoyed the story and had the feeling you were with us during the sighting…
-
This was story nr 16 ….. see you next story …

Last edited by Aat on Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:34 pm, edited 18 times in total.

Post subject: Aat & Elly TR Story 17 -Mother & Child- page 26 upd 11/2
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:24 am 

Story 17 of our trip oktober 8th till november 4th

Story 17 – Story about Mother & Child … told by MAMMY :wink:

This story is about the mothers and their children in Kruger, specially written for Valentine’s Day for all the mothers / mums / mama’s as an honour to them. :) :) :)

We all know that when we see the Little Ones we stop and say ohhhhh…ahhhhh ..how sweet and even the macho’s must admit that looking at the (little) babies is not that bad….
That story will be narrated by one of the mothers who will show you all different kind of species where we see a mother and chils relation.

MAMMY will take over from here

Hello all.. I am Mammy, a proud mother as you can see :D
-
-
I am on my way to a special meeting with lots of other mothers with their children to talk about raising kids.
-
The first one I see is a Vervet Monkey with a just born baby
-
-
I am passing one of the dams in my area and close to the waterline there is Mary with her little baby…both sleeping so ..sssttttttt…
-
-
A bit further at some distance there is a lioness with 4 cubs , pfff I get tired sometimes by having one so she must have a rough time to keep these cubs quiet and satisfied. :clap:
-
-
-
Let’s move on to the meeting place…. Well, it looks like the rhino mothers are also coming in big numbers…
-
-
Funny to see the Baboon mother … look how she proudly looks at her baby…
-
-
The lady with the long legs and her child… beautiful eyes they have…
-
-
-
-
And just 200 meters ahead there are Zerba and Breza (two sisters with their youngsters)
-
-
-
Just a small break to give my baby some time to rest after this walk. Standing there I see another baboon mother passing , it is Babona with baby
-
-
-
Heyyy what do I smell…. It’s my friend Elena , haven’t seen her for some time , but there she is , just crossing the road… ohhh she has a baby too. Rumbleee , have to speak to her… Elenaaaa… hiiiii :dance: :dance:
-
-
We walked down the road not far away from the meeting place … hmmmm it is gonna be fun I think. We arranged different things like mud-baths , a presentation how to powder yourself and your baby…. How to join waterholes in a good manor etc…. lots of things to learn ….
It is always a problem with the rhino’s … they never hear what you rumbleeee… they don’t see that well…. So our babies are always afraid of their actions… :big_eyes:
May be a good moment to have a chat with Rina and Tina , Rina is just arriving and Tina takes a nap with her child
-Rina
-Tina
-
-
-
Looking away I see another friend of mine …hahahaha…rumbleee…she is always late so now she is hurrying along the dam …Hi... :) :)
-
-
Sorry but the meeting is about to begin now…so Byeeeee allll
-
Well…. As said before….this story is specially for the ladies as a Valentine’s present..
I hope you liked this and see you with the next story

About AWD ……maybe….
-
This was story nr 17 …..

Post subject: Aat & Elly TR Story 18 - Herdes - page 28 upd 19/02
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:03 pm 

Story 18 of our trip oktober 8th till november 4th

Story 18 – Story about Herdes … told by Buffy and… yes Humbi

This story is about some of the herdes in Kruger. Driving through Kruger and watching herdes of buffalo and elephants is always special. Looking at hundreds , sometimes even a few thousand buffalo is amazing and watching a herd of elephants is impressive. Not just the animals but their behaviour and organization. Protecting mothers and relatives for the small ones in an elephant herd and the fixed organization of the Buffalo herdes… with the older experienced buffalo's around the younger bulls, the mothers with calves in the middle…well, let’s see what I found during the trip…

Humbi and Buffy are taking over from here and will tell you more about the herds they know and lived with.

Hello all.. this is me again Humbi …becoming almost a celebrity… many people in Mopani are asking for me now… to be with me on a photo or for an interview…rumbleeee :whistle: :whistle:
-
-
And…. Introducing a friend of mine named Buffy, one of the former leaders of a Buffalo herd. :)
-
Helloooo..I am Buffy , living in Kruger and retired now. I see my friend Humbi regularly near waterholes and rivers where we have chats like old guys do… about the herds we lived in and with and all the nice girls in the herds we ehhhhh “met” :wink: :wink:
-
-
Buffy…. Before I show you some buffalo herds I want you to meet my son Buffy Jr.
-
-
Not far away from Mopani there is the herd of Big Horn. The herd counts about 500 buffalo.
Here some impressions of them with Big Horn as one of the leaders… hi Big Horn.. hahaha you are “winking” to us eh…
-
-
-
-
-
Thanks Buffy… Now time for some Elephant herds….rumbleeeee
-
This herd is living in the Mlondozi area and Hanny is the leading mother here…I know her very very well …. :redface: :redface:

-
-
Another herd in that area, just coming towards me to go to a waterhole
-
-
I am walking towards Letaba and standing on the bridge I heard and smelled a big herd coming for a drink in the Letaba river…. Hi Mary rumbleeeee…. :D :)
They are moving fast from the bush to the river… hmmmm in a hurry, guess they are thirsty with this temperature of 42 celcius… well follow them from bush to river…. No comments needed
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Buhhhhhhhhhhh…. Thanks Humbi but time again for some buffalo… a nice herd with curious members amongst them….
-
-
-
-
Buffy… breaking in here…. On the S39 , not far from Timbavati picknick place this big herd of about 60 … rumbleeeee… what a huge herd on their way to the waterhole …
-
-
-
-
They just crossed the road in front of me and they are at the waterhole…..
-
-
-
Ohhhhh noooo they take all the water… what can I do as Wildebeast… :( :shock:
-
-
Buhhhhhhhh Humbi Humbi Action on the S100 now a big big herd of buffalo just passing some lions and they did not even see them, but the lions are looking at them
-
-
-
Ohhhh my There must be more then 2000 relatives moving wowwww :dance:
-
-
-
This was the whole herd from behind but some time later they arrived at the other end near a road and so some views at the front of the herd
-
-
hahahaha…this buffalo is aware of environmental issues and carries his sh…t on his head…. :lol: :lol: :lol:
-
-
-
Buffy….it is going fast now…sorry to interrupt you but I see more family now… they are near the Sweni Hide … and look….some hippo’s in the water and crocodile close to the herd… :big_eyes:
-
-
-
-
-
-
Last herd I like to show you … I was just drinking some water at Mpondo (between Crocodile Bridge and Lower Sabie along the S102) when this big herd arrived and walked at the other side of the dam…. It the herd of one of my “former” girlfriends…. Sheila…. :tongue: Hmmmm lovely to see her again and what a herd she has now… :o
-
-
-
-
-
Ehhhhh is that you daddy… :huh:
-
Rumbleeeeee….. mmmm my eyes are getting wet.. must be the weather… or… :redface: :redface:
-
Soooo…. Back again… thanks Buffy and Humbi for letting us being part of your friends and relatives of the different herds…. Hope to see both of you in May again…
-
Story 18 has come to an end but no….it is not the last story….. many to come and next one will be told by Picasso ….

Last edited by Aat on Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Aat & Elly TR New Story 18 -HERDES- page 28 upd 19/02
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:51 pm 

Ok Micetta, I post them just because you requested it.... If anyone has problems with these pictures please contact Micetta :tongue: :tongue:

Micetta wrote:
Aat, it is a very natural thing.......everybody does it, even if not in public :wink: So please post it :twisted:

-
-
-
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject: Aat & Elly TR Story 19 -told by PICASSO- page 30 upd 25/02
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:16 am 

Another year older and wiser :) :tongue:

Story 19 of our trip oktober 8th till november 4th

Story 19 – Story told by Picasso

About Picasso
Maybe you are curious about Picasso. Everybody knows this famous Painter. The reason I made the choice for this name to advertise and to promote the name Painted Dogs and not WildDogs. For different reasons the Dogs became a bad image and their name Wilddogs just did not do any good to that. In some african countries, like Zambia the name has already changed into Painted Dogs. It is my personal view on this, but respect all other opinions. The name Painted Dogs is more friendly and if you have or had a chance to look at them from short distance they look like living Paintings, every dog with own design and colour combinations.
So this story has a meaning, showing their beauty and colours. :) :)

About emotion.
It was late afternoon, I was still in Satara camp and felt a bit restless. One hour swimmingpool is enough for me so decided to pick my camera and left Satara. S100 ? no, direction Olifants ? no, Girivana waterhole ? Yes..... So turned right and right and right and entered the S40. Is was really quiet, no other cars, and drove slowly towards junction to Girivana. Just a few hundred meters before the junction I saw something moving at the right side of the road. A pack of Painted Dogs and just for me. :dance: :dance:
I even had to park my car some meters away from them otherwise they were too close. I was making pictures and watching them for some time. One other car came towards me and I showed them the Painted Dogs. There was couple in the car and the man was staring at the dogs and then to me with an expression I won’t forget.
He was smiling and almost crying at the same time. He came closer and opened the window. He said “thank you” so much and told me he visited Kruger at least 2 times a year and it was 16 years ago he had seen Painted Dogs. His wife was also almost crying , saying ohhhh this is wonderful, he (pointing at her husband) hopes to see them every time and now they are here so close. Well, I just said "enjoy the Dogs then as long as possible instead of talking too much" (with a smile). :) :)
Yes, emotions come and go but next to the sighting it was really wonderful to see him enjoying the Painted Dogs. :D

So, time to introduce Picasso, one of the Dogs and he takes over from here.

Hellooooooooooo my name is Picasso, I am one of the Painted Dogs in Kruger and currently part a pack of 9 here. 8)
This is me
-
-
We were hunting earlier today and had a nice meal, so no it is time to sleep and socialize with full bellies.
-
Maybe you like so see the other ones of the pack. Just waking up so he still looks a bit dizzy, this is Dali.
-
-
Close to Dali is Degas, he got this name since he is a real allround artist during hunting. :hmz:
-
-
-
-
I am looking around for the other ones, in the mean time I can tell you that we have family spread over Kruger, our country. Our parents told us that we are just with about 300 members here. Long time ago there were many more of us but lots have been killed. :( :(
-
Ahhhh there you are, hiding under the trees, it is my brother Da Vinci :) :D
-
-
-
-
Before I introduce more pack members I give you some impressions of how we socialize in our pack
-
-
-
-
-
Mhhh excuse me, not very polite in front of you :redface: :redface:
-
-
Do you know that we are very good hunters ? We can run for a long long time to get a meal. :whistle: :whistle:
Just walking around and there is Monet :cam:
-
-
-
We do not have many friends here so we really stick together. Hyena is our enemy, lions and leopards and cheetah don’t like us either, don’t know why because we are so friendly. :roll:
Look at them
-
-
Later tonight we will go back to our Den, kind of home where we will meet our family again. Hope to see my girlfriend. :wink: But now we are still taking a nap.
-
-
-
-
hahahaha, look at his belly, :tongue: as always he was eating too much and then he sleeps forever
-
-
Today is quiet, it is a hot day but normally when we lay down close to a road there are many of these blinking noisy things pointing at us, making strange sounds when they see us and using click clicks :cam: and then they look happy. :D :D
There is my other brother, we call him Rembrandt, he thinks he is handsome and always tries to impress the ladies of the pack. :wink:
-
-
-
-
I learned a lot about us when I was at school so I love to share this information with you.
Our social structure is complex. Pack size range from 2 up to 30 animals. Yearling painted dogs of both sexes usually leave our natal pack at the age of 16 to 24 months in single sex groups. We then search for a single sex group of the opposite sex. The alpha dog in each single sex group is determined before the group emigrates. When two unrelated groups of the opposite sex meet, the alpha pair is immediately formed. The other dogs accept the alpha pair, and a new pack is formed. The non-alpha dogs of both sexes act as helpers to raise the alpha pairs litter. Litter size varies from 4 up to 16 pups. The pups are born in a hole under the ground, the den. At the age of three weeks, the pups start eating solid food. The solid food consists of small pieces of meat, regurgitated by the adult dogs immediately after returning from a successful hunt.
So, maybe a tough lesson but I try to give you a better understanding how we live.
After this lesson :rtm: I like you to meet my special brother Van Gogh :lol: :lol:
-
-
-
-
Thanks all for listening to my story about me, my family and us African Painted Dogs
I like to end this with some good news. Relatives of us are now back in another part of South Africa, Tembe Elephant Park. I remember some volunteers of our family got together with some of Hluhluwe-Imfolozi (KwazuluNatal). They have pups and are set free in their new homeland. Our story is not ending but at a new begin :dance: :dance:

Wowwww Thank you very much Picasso. We have been lucky so far with our trips to Kruger and have seen Painted Dogs always at least one time. This trip two packs and I am really happy to share this with you. I have been with you for about an hour before I had to leave. All the time I enjoyed every minute watching you all, just a few meters away from me. I never forget the happiness of the people in the other car and so this was another highlight in different ways.

Also Story 19 has come to an end and no it is not the last one, sorry but I will bother you again soon with a story told by Bambi

Last edited by Aat on Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Aat & Elly TR Story 20 -told by BAMBI- page 32 upd 6/3
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:51 am 

Story 20 of our trip oktober 8th till november 4th

Story 20 – Story told by Bambi

Who is Bambi and where is this story about... ?
Bambi represents the smaller antelopes in Kruger NP. When I met Bambi I was impressed by the beauty of Bambi’s expression, eyes and looks. Cute, lovely and kind of innocence.

Bambi is a Steenbok and we all see them in dfifferent parts of Kruger. Selden they are or stay close to you , often you see Steenbok and some other smaller antelopes running or diving away as soon as you arrive and try to photograph them. Next to many other animals I tried this time to make some close-up photos. I was able to do this with some but you need a bit of luck to see them close to you and even more luck that they are not running away. With Bambi I had this luck, I won’t forget driving on the S90 just north of Satara. I was almost standing still looking around when Bambi showed up and was at just 2 meters from my car looking at me, no fear, but more curious This way I could look at Bambi and made some close-up’s
While writing stories about Lions, Cheetah, Tuskers and many other animals I planned to write this story about these beautiful small antelopes to give them some extra attention and respect they deserve….
Enough about the background and time to introduce Bambi as your guide to take you through Kruger in a virtual way where Bambi will show you many other small antelopes with there own stories….

Hellooooo my name is Bambi , I am a Steenbok living in Kruger.
This is me :redface: :redface:
-
-
I am married with Bambina and do you know we have something in common? Steenbok are staying together for life. Difference is, we never divorce. We have our terratorium where we live, eat and sleep. Cheetah is one of our ennemies… wowww they are fast but we can hide well and run and turn quickly. Here a family portrait of my wife and me together. :)
-
-
I like to take you with me through my country but before I do that I like to show you two very nice friends from another country in south africa. Red Diver and they live in Tembe, far far away from kruger, about 3 months walking I guess.
-
-
-
Starting from where I live we follow the S90 (Satara area) and not far away I see my cousin.
-
-
Funny thing with us smaller antelopes is that some have no stripes and dots, some have only dots and other ones just stripes on their bodies. :tongue:
I sometimes get confused but will try to give you the right names. I am talking too much since I just see Nyala’s on the S52 (Redrocks). This a really beautiful area to go through.
-
-
-
The male Nyala is awesome :)
-
-
Ahhh and they have a child with them I see
-
-
Going back south to the S33, just north of Tshokwane there are many Impala’s and just walking on this road I see two Impala’s fighting, but the fight is like dancing when you look well. :dance:
-
-
-
-
After watching them for some time I continue and now searching for another very very friendly antelope, it is the Bushbuck with only dots.
-
-
Now I am talking about Bushbuck I must say something to you folks. :rtm: There is a picknick spot in Kruger where some Bushbuck are walking around for a long long time. There are signs saying “Do not feed the Bushbuck”. What I don’t understand is why you folks do not read or listen. It is not in the benefit of us that you give us things to eat that is not good for us, we prefer to find good and healthy food by ourselves so please do not do this anymore. :evil:
-
-
-
-
Just after leaving these great Bushbuck I see more family ahead, it is my uncle Bandito.
He got this name since he tries to steal food from other family members and always makes advances to the married ladies. :wink:
-
-
Most of us small antelopes are very friendly with each other. I can show you a nice combination of another Bushbuck together with a Grysbok. They are sharing a bush, one at the left and the other at the right side.
-
-
And the Grysbok
-
-
Since you don’t see Grysbok all the time maybe nice to learn a bit about them. Grysbok is a small, shy antelope with a thick-set body and a coarse coat of hair. A mingling of white and reddish hair on the back and sides gives this species a grizzled, reddish appearance. Only males have horns which are 60-80 mm in length, with a slight forward curve, standing vertical on the head. The Cape Grysbok stands 540 mm at the shoulder and adults weigh 10 kg
-
It was a nice day with many of my relatives and friends. Time to go back to my wife and see you tomorrow ok. So just another look at me before you continue. :roll:
-
-
After a nice night without problems I am going south with you and on the S36 between Tshokwane and Skukuza I see a female Nyala. I think I haven’t seen them that much in the south of Kruger. A bit further I see her husband as well.
-
-
-
I think it is the time of the year that Impala’s are trying to find out who is strong. I just run into another fight between two of them. Just have a look.
-
-
-
Time flies so another day is coming to an end. Just before I going to bed I see this Impala standing in the beautiful sunset colours. :cam:
-
-
Next day. I decided to walk the S33 again and almost halfway I arrive at the Tinhongani waterhole and wowwwww hundreds of Impala together for playing, talking drinking. I still don’t know why and how, but sometimes you see this very large number of Impala together and after some time the groups going their own way again. I can’t refuse to show you what I see now. I must laught about this lonely Buffalo in the water. :lol: :lol:
-
-
-
On this same road I see another small antelope. They got the name Duiker which means something like Diving. A diver means duiker in dutch. They got this name because they always dive away when you see them. So many of you trying to photograph them with your clickclick machine but in most cases no animal on your picture hahahahaha :whistle: :whistle:
-
-
Along the road two more Steenbok, they were in same class at school with me.
-
-
-
Near Lugmag dam this male Nyala.
-
-
-
Almost coming to an end for this story I like to show you the care our mothers give to us when we are young.
-
This is a Bushbuck mother with her child
-
-
And ending this story but starting a new life this Impala mother just gave birth. Look how she cares and cleaning her baby, still wet. I gave this baby the name Born-to-be-Wild.
I like to say thanks for joining me these days and hope to see you around. My address is S90 section 34.
-
-
-
-
-
-

Bambi, Thank you very much for this. It was a pleasure to have you as a guide through kruger and looking at some small antelopes. They always give me a good and peacefull feeling. Looking into their big eyes and at their beautiful colours is very much different then the cats and the elephants. I know many do not pay too much attention to them racing around for big cats but I always stop and watch them. When we were looking at the Impala with her just born baby it was a moving moment. The innocent baby just trying to walk and curious as the baby was coming towards us but warned by the mother to come back to her, a moment you don’t forget.

Ok, this was story 20 and hope you liked it . Next story will be about ehhhhh something like Confluence and Pride ????

My wildlife photography site
http://www.awv-photography.com

Last edited by Aat on Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Aat & Elly TR Story 21 -told by ROCK- page 34 upd 13/3
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:30 am 

Story 21 of our trip oktober 8th till november 4th

Story 21 – Story narrated by ROCK

There is Kruger, there is Mopani and there is the Confluence Pride

Maybe you remember story 15 about the Male Lions in Kruger ? you can still read it :) :)
ROAR introduced his cousins, the two males of the Confluence Pride with the line (My cousins were the “black sheep” of the family… that’s why they got their names ROCK & ROLL)

About this story…. We left Mopani camp early and decided to go to Mooiplaas windmill waterhole since we had beautiful sightings there with Eland, Roan, Tsessebe and several Big Tuskers (read the other stories).
From a distance we did not see anything near the waterhole, so no tuskers or any other animals. Getting closer we could not overlook a beautiful and impressive male lion, so we parked the car to listen to the story this male lion (ROCK) was going to tell us. If you have some time, please sit down, take some popcorn :popcorn: , a coffee or a glass of wine and listen with us what Rock has to say. :wink:

Goooooodddddd morning all, my family and I have had a wonderful night with good food and now we all are enjoying this beautiful morning.
My name is ROCK, I am a cousin of ROAR you all met before in his stories. :) :)
-
-
and a closer look at me :whistle: :whistle:
-
-
I am here with the whole family, in our language we call it a pride and I am proud to lead this pride together with my brother ROLL.
My brother and I were kind of bad boys when we were younger, chasing ladies, being bad to other males and so on. :hmz:
But after we fell in love with our wives we changed into very responsible men and fathers. We both have some wives now and 9 cubs all together.
4 of them are near the small waterhole :D :D
-
-
And there is one of my wives with another kid :roll:
-
-
-
-
As you can see we had a good dinner last night and as always I am getting thirsty so I am going to the small waterhole for a drink
-
-
Here together with a Hooded Vulture, they always show up after dinner, trying to get some for free. :?
-
-
-
Hooded Vulture again, mmm ugly birds but ok, they clean the place so let them.
-
-
Ahhh, just good timing , I see my brother ROLL just woke up and hugs his wife and one of his kids. :)
-
-
-
The other 4 kids are just playing around. Love to see this knowing they have to learn a lot before they can live on their own. :hmz: In Kruger there is no lion-school, so they get private lessons by me and my wives. Looking at them makes me happy :D :D
-
-
Next to the vultures we also see the black-backed jackal often. They are not that bad, just trying to get some smaller pieces of the “steaks”. I rather see them then the dirty Hyena’s :tongue:
-
-
-
Looks like my broter ROLL is watching at something, :big_eyes: just don’t know what, I am too lazy to turn around but together with his kids he is staring at something interesting.
-
-
I am looking at my kids again. Isn’t it wonderful to have them and watching them play and learn. :redface: :redface:
-
-
-
-
Funny, my kids are looking at their uncle ROLL what he is going to do 8)
-
-
ROLL is walking fast now :shock:
-
-
Standing still now and staring again at what ?
-
-
Okkkkk… now I see what causes their interest. A group of Zebra and Wildebeast. :doh:
-
-
-
For us these groups of animals are our supermarket, when we get hungry we just go and pick and not pay one of them. Well, I must say that with 9 kids we have to shop many times, but our wives do a good job with that, fresh meat when we need it. This area is rich, plenty of food around. :dance:
-
Let’s have a look at my brother. He is just going to he toilet. :huh:
-
-
And after that he is almost running to the wildebeast, how funny, with his big belly. :lol: :lol:
We are not hungry at all but the wildebeast and zebra don’t know that. I feel a bit pitty for them since they are waiting for hours now to get to the waterhole for a drink. With about 40 celcius I can imagine they like to have some water. They are welcome… :sniper:
-
ROLL is laying down again, how smart he is eh? :hmz:
-
The kids are learning fast here, they are following daddy now
-
-
From a distance it is great to see that ROLL also changed into a caring dad. I think that many of you think that only the mothers do care for their kids. Well I like to show you that we male lions really do care and love our kids. Watch ROLL with two of his youngsters. 8) 8)
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Thank you all for being part of family life of our pride , called the Confluence Pride.
We live in the Mopani area, so if you are here please visit us.
Like to say goodbye now to get some sleep, it is going to be to hot now to do anything else.
-
-

Thanks you ROCK and ROLL for being part of your family.
What a great sighting is was. I was just thinking… if this encounter was in the south there would be many many cars and now and here near Mopani, just two other cars.
Really great to see the two males, 3 lionesses and 9 cubs, maybe some more lionesses were hiding in the high grass , just don’t know.
Next to the lions, we saw the zebra and wildebeast, vulture and jackal and in the back there was a group of Roan antelope. What a scenery on this morning.

Another story has ended , hope you like this one too.
Next story will be narrated by the famous Robert the Nhiro

My Wildlife Photography Site

Post subject: Aat & Elly TR Story 22 -by R DE NHIRO- page 35 upd 20/3
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:38 pm 

Story 22 of our trip oktober 8th till november 4th

Story 22 – Story narrated by Robert De Nhiro

After 21 stories about many different animals / species it is time to focus on a special one, Rhino !
Together with the Crocodiles they are the only animals with prehistoric looks, like they never changed from many many thousands of years ago. Next to the Big Tuskers I really like these animals a lot. Always looking forward to see them and always taking all the time to look at them. Sometimes , while watching them and people stop next to you asking where you are looking at and you say rhino…they say ohhhh and move one. This happens often, specially in areas where you can see them more often then other areas in Kruger. Anyway, when I look at them I always have to think about the fact that we all must be very bery happy that we still CAN look at them. Not too many years ago they were almost gone , just a small number left and by initiatives of a some people protection begun. At the same time poaching is still a big big problem. It is 2011 and still a number of people (men) in this weird world think that rhino horn does make make the MORE men. Incredible but true.
I do have many respect for the anti-poaching organizations to protect these wonderful animals and was really happy to make a small contribution to the auction for raising money to help this organization. A number of people related to Sanparks forums did a very good job to organize this fund raising.
I normally do not spend too much attention to these things in my TR but this is just from the heart.
Based on this I like to present Robert De Nhiro !! to you as a salut to the Rhino’s in Kruger and other areas.

So, Robert De Nhiro (Pumbaa, now you know why it is Nhiro and not Niro :whistle: ) is taking over from here and he will guide you to the different encounters with him and other Rhino.

Heyyyyyy, I have been asked to guide you through Kruger to see some different memebers of my family and friends and even some other guys who are really my friend.
My name is Robert De Nhiro. My mother liked the actor a lot and decided to give me that name in the rhino version. :) :)
Well I am proud of this name and my girlfriends like it too saying that I am a very handsome guy. :whistle: :whistle: May you are curious now and like to see me ? This is me
-
-
-
I am married and have a child. It is my pleasure to show you my family. :) :)
-
-
-
You understand that I can’t leave my family alone to take you through my homeland Kruger so I am guiding you around by pictures I got by Rhino_Book. I heard you have something similar, called Facebook.
First I take you to the S28 area near Crocodile Bridge and Lower Sabie
-
-
-
-
-
Allthough I think that many of you have seen rhino in the wild or other places, it is my honour to tell you a bit more about us during this story.
-
About our “behaviour”
We, the white rhino have a very complex social structure compared to other rhino species. We are mild and inoffensive personalities compared to the black rhino. We are very curious and tend to move away from conflict rather than confront it with attack. Sometimes a mock charge will take place to scare off intruders. Most of you view us as a slow lumbering animal, however, we can turn 180 degrees at the blink of an eye and when necessary can run remarkably fast, but not for long periods of time. We can also throw our head up from the normal grazing position very quickly. The mass of our powerful muscles forming the hump above our shoulders allows us for this quick movements.
If we are in a larger group and being alarmed, we stand with our behinds together in a circle so that our heads point outward in all directions. Like this.
-

Isn’t it nice to learn something from a Rhino ? :rtm:
-
We are moving now to Satara area and as a story within a story I take you with me for a 1, 2, 3, 4 , 5 (rhino day) journey.
-
Starting the day I met one of my friends living close to us. (1)
-
-
Following the road to the S37 two family members came along so I stop for a moment to have a chat with them. (2)
-
-
I continue and along the S37 I run into another family. (3)
-
-
Glad to see an increasing number of rhino’s. It is really fun to meet them near waterholes with lots of mud . It is good for our skin and it cools down with the heath sometimes. Believe it or not but now I see another family nearby. Let’s have a look at them before I go back to Satara.
This time 4 members together. (4)
-
-
-
Getting close to Girivana waterhole and incedible but that makes 5 rhino’s together. It is hot today so they are here for a drink (looking at the time it is close to happy hour)
-
-
-
-
-
-
A good moment to go back to my wife and child now, so see you tomorrow morning for more….
-
Next morning.
Good morning all. Morning is best time to learn something so next rhino lesson.
-
About Water, Mud and Parasites
We are dependent on water and drink up to (80 liters) of water a day. We have no sweat glands, so to cool off we like to wallow in mud if available and drink water to replenish our body's natural losses. Given the chance, we will drink twice a day, but if necessary we can go 4 or 5 days without visiting a waterhole in the wild. We depend on the waterholes for wallowing and coating our skin in mud which helps to keep the skin cool (regulating body temperature) and dried on mud protects us from biting flies and parasites, like ticks. Even though we have very thick skin, the blood vessels are just below the thin outer layer of skin so flies and skin parasites can be very irritating to us.
Before we enter a mud wallow, we use our horn, snout and front feet to stir it up. If the mud is too thick, we leave that wallow and look for another one that is more suitable. Wallowing will last up to several hours depending on the air temperature. We are not comfortable in deep water and seem to prefer either the edge of a deep pan or else a shallow pan that is between 12 - 23 inches (30 - 60cm) deep. If we use the edge of a deep pan, which serves to increase the overall size of the pan benefiting many species. The larger the pan gets, the more wildlife will take advantage of it. Terrapins live in many of the pans and are very useful in biting ticks off the rhino's skin. It is amazing to watch as we dodge our rolling body as they dine. Wallows serve as a social gathering place and we share the wallow experience with other animals such as buffalo and warthogs, seldom showing aggression. We usually visit wallows in the late afternoon or evening when it is cooler and we tend to wallow more during times of warmer weather. We also like to rub ourselves on trees and boulders to help remove external parasites. In Kruger a particular log or boulder might serve as a favorite rubbing post and will be worn smooth and shiny with repeated use. Oxpeckers, small birds, are often seen removing ticks from the our skin and also are important in warning us of approaching danger. Sometimes, however, oxpeckers can become an irritation to us if they pick in open sores not allowing us to heal over.
-
I like to show you some muddy impressions of us , hmmmm looking at them makes me :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
-
-
-
-
Hoping you are still interested about us I like to tell you a bit more about:

Reproduction and Growth:
Males like me become sexually mature at about 7 to 8 years old, but are prevented from breeding until we can claim our first territory or attain dominant status at about 10 years of age.
The females are sexually mature at 7 years of age; males take longer, becoming mature at the age of 10 to12 years. Mating can occur at any time during the year, but tends to be higher during the rainy season, which results in babies being born during the early part of the dry season. Rhinos are promiscuous, rarely forming even a semi permanent pair. The gestation period is about 16 months, when usually one young is born. A second birth may occur as early as 22 months later, but usually the next birth is between 2 and 4 years later. When a female is about to give birth, she will drive away her previous offspring; the usual age for the offspring at this time is 2 to 3 years of age. This is when temporary groups form.
A rhino calf, like my baby, is relatively small at birth, weighing approximately 65kg. If a female is associating with a particular group, she will separate herself from them to give birth. Born throughout the year, they will begin nibbling on grass at about 3 months old, however the baby will nurse more than one year. At the time of birth, preceding the production of true milk by the mother, she produces colostrum or foremilk for the babys first feeding. It contains essential antibodies and minerals that are necessary to give the baby a strong immune system..
By the time the baby is 3 days old it can walk with its mother. Mother rhinos are very protective of their young. In the wild, white rhino calves usually run in front of the mother, whereas black rhino calves usually trot behind their mothers. This behavior is a function of the different types of habitat in which they live. In wide open grasslands the white rhino mother can better offer protection for her calf against feline predators if the baby is in front of her, versus closed in woodlands where black rhino mothers must forge the trail and protect the baby against surprise ambushes.
We can live up to 45 years.
-
Here a mother with a baby and like I told you the baby is walking in front of the mother
-
-
Like you we also like to sleep , specially on hot days protecting ouselves from the burning sun we like to dream away. Best time to see us is early morning and late afternoon.
-
Walking around with you I found some along the roads dreaming about beautiful girls and fresh juicy grass. If you look at them they are like rocks so from now on have a better look and do not assume you just see rocks. :lol: :lol:
-
-
-
-
And a sleeping mother with her baby :roll: :)
-
-
-
-
What a bout a last lesson ?
Our range 10-25 sq km, however that may double up to 50sq km if population density is low. Female ranges will greatly overlap and they show no signs of being territorial. When female white rhinos meet, perhaps at a watering hole, they will greet each other with nose to nose touching and sometimes they will rub their horns together. Subadults will also greet adult females, other subadults and calves with the nose to nose touching also.

Adults tend to be solitary, except for the adult mother with her most recent offspring. As long as we are not yet mature sometimes we join up in pairs or form temporary groups which may number up to 14 at a time. Sometimes an adult female with a calf will allow an adolescent to join the two of them, seldom the female is the mother of the joining adolescent. Adult white rhino females, who do not have calves, are often quite tolerant of younger animals associating with them.
We, dominant males, live in clearly defined territories that we vigorously defend against other neighboring males. The territorial boundaries are often coincidental to features in the landscape such as water features, large rocks, etc. We mark our home ranges with urine. We spray the urine backwards with great force and control, yet it is a relatively fine spray which will cover the bushes or grass in the area with small white droplets. Subordinate bulls are tolerated in a dominant males territory as long as they remain submissive.

The spoor of the us is larger than that of the black rhino. Our dung, which is similar in texture and size to that of an elephant, is deposited in large heaps, known as middens and they are used to mark territorial boundaries.

We make noises that vary from puffing sounds, snorts, a deep but quiet roar (not like a lion), squeals and shrieks. We emit high pitched squeal when trying to keep an estrus cow from leaving our territory. Snorts, honks and roars are used to maintain spacing between animals. Loud shrieks are used defensively and the squeak-pant is made by us chasing away other rhinos. When courtship occurs we make a soft hiccup-panting sound. Our noises are generally only heard in the wild when there is no human disturbance.
-
So before I will end this tour with you some more impressions of my friends
-
-
-
-
-

Thank you Robert De Nhiro. It was a great pleasure to be with you on this tour. I hope we all understand a bit more of you and you know… next time I will recognize the things you told us about you and your family and friends. I really hope that people not just stop for a second saying…ohhhhh another rhino…but realize that you are special too like all others in our beloved Kruger

Thanks for joining and hope you like this story, for me it was pleasure again to write it. :dance:

Next story will be about ….. ehhhh…ehhhhh… another rare animal ? :huh:

Post subject: Aat & Elly TR Story 23 -told by REEDY- page 37 upd 27/3
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:37 pm 

Story 23 of our trip oktober 8th till november 4th

Story 23 – Story about Reedbuck, told by Reedy

In previous stories I showed some different antelope species, including the more rare ones like Roan, Sable and Eland.
In another story about the more common ones, but also beautiful, were presented by Bambi.
Now it’s time to look at another antelope species. It’s about the Reedbuck. Are they rare ?
Well, listening and speaking to people you don’t see them that often. I know there are many visitors who never have seen one during their trips to Kruger NP.
I guess we have been lucky again this trip with 4 sightings of Reedbuck at 4 different places so time to introduce them to all who have never seen them and for all others to enjoy (I hope) the pictures. :)

As usually the story will be told by one of the animals to take you around those 4 places.

So, I hand you over to Reedy who will guide you to the different members of the Reedbuck family. :dance:

Gooooooooooooodmorning all, my name is Reedy. I am married with Rieta my beautiful wife. :D We live near the Muntshe waterhole along the H10 from Lower Sabie to Tshokwane. It is my pleasure to tell you more about us. You all know the antelopes like Kudu, Nyala, Bushbuck. We, Reedbuck, are not well known I think. :hmz: Sometimes we feel sad that people do not pay much attention to us. :( I don’t know why, maybe we do not look that special like our relatives like Sable or Roan and maybe even from a distance you think we are “just” impala’s ??? :big_eyes:
Before I continue I like to introduce myself and my wife to you.
-
This is me Reedy
-
-
And my wife Rieta :) :)
-
-
As you can see we do not have stripes, dots or stars or other kind of special signs on our bodies.
-
I am just married with Rieta and we are looking a bit around in our area to see where we can go and also if there is any danger. If we are not “in the reed” we must be very carefull for the big cats. Before I take you around to meet others Reedbuck I am more then happy to show you a few more pictures of our album. :D
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
For those who like to know a little about us, it is an honour for me to tell you more about us Reedbuck. First some facts ok ? :rtm:
-
SIZE: Our shoulder height is about (male) 0,9 m, (female) 0,8 m; mass (male) 80 kg, (female) 68 kg.
Only we, males, have forward-curving horns.
COLOUR: Dull greyish-brown to dark brown, our underside, including underside of the bushy brown tail, is whitish, and there are pale patches on our throats, face and around the eyes. Below each of our ears there is usually a small, round blackish bare patch. The front surface of each of our forelegs has a vertical black or dark brown stripe.
GESTATION PERIOD: 7.5 - 8 months
POTENTIAL LONGEVITY: 9 years
RECORD LENGTH OF HORNS: 46 cm
Our habitat : Tall grass or reeds near water, so that are the places you can find us.
-
Did you know these facts ? you do now ! :lol: :lol:

Let me take you to another place where you can find us. A bit north of Satara, along the H1-4 towards Olifants you can see the reed near the small bridges. If you are lucky you can see some family there. From my family album I am proud to show you my uncle with his two wifes and my cousin. :cam:
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

After this family pictorial I like to use the opportunity to tell you more about us. :whistle:
-
We, Reedbuck, usually live in pairs or family parties, although temporary aggregations of 15 - 20 individuals are sometimes seen during the very dry months. Then we feel more safe together when are not in our best condition. We are almost entirely grazers. Deprived of our natural camouflage, we often do not have the ability to outrun our enemies. We are easily brought down by leopards, cheetah and wild dogs. A single calf, born at any time of year, is hidden by its mother for two to three months; she returns once a day to suckle it. Similarly to many other antelope, the calf re-hides itself after its mother has left to prevent scent-trailing by predators. The mother-calf bond breaks down when the mother is due to calve again, but if she loses the new calf, the bond may be re-established.
The Reedbuck is a graceful, whistling antelope of the grasslands, and particularly of the thickly grown patches of reed and vleis near rivers, which has earned them their name.
-
Because you are always in a hurry (at least we think so since you are going fast in the blinking snorring things on the roads) I will not overload you with too much text to read. I think it is time to take you to another place in my country for more members of the family.

We are going to another location in the Satara area called S41 (Gudzani Pad) near the Gudzani river where another family occupies the reed along this river.
-
-
-
-
-

A last set of knowledge about us
We are closely related to the mountain reedbuck, although we prefer grassland to the mountainous habitat of our relatives. We tend to use fixed trails that lead to water, and always approach water very cautiously, the cows hanging back as sentries, while the males and young drink first. This natural caution is also apparent while we are resting: we never lie close together, but spread out, our faces turned cautiously outwards in the direction of any possible danger.
Our tawny coat acts as a perfect camouflage among the reeds and long grass, and our ability to 'freeze' when we sense danger often helps us escaping the attentions of our ennemies. We flatten our ears to minimise our profile especially when our habitat has been burnt and therefore have very little vegetative cover. Once discovered, however, we jump up in alarm, uttering a loud, sharp whistle through our nostrils, and bound away showing the white underside of our tails.

Hope you liked the information about us. Now we are going to the last location for a few more impressions of us.
This location is along the S33, between Satara and Tshokwane , close to the Tinhongana waterhole/dam.
-
-
-
Thank you very very much for spending some time with us and I hope you learned a bit more about the Reedbuck. Hope you recognize us next time when you are in my country. Byeeeeeeee :clap:

Thank you very much Reedy. I must say it was pleasure again to write this story about this little bit unknown antelope species. Not mentioned very often in forums and trip reports, so I think a good moment to put them a bit in the spotlight. :)

Thanks for taking the time to look at and read about the Reedbuck.

Next story will be about ….. (ehhh let me think about that ) :hmz: :hmz:

Some of you have to reset your watch and clock …it is summertime in many countries now…

6 weeks to go for next trip…. Can’t wait….. :dance:

Post subject: Aat&Elly TR Story 24 -ISILO & Friends- page 39 upd 3/4
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:48 pm 

Story 24 of our trip oktober 8th till november 4th

Story 24 – Story by ISILO

This story is about a “break-out” from Kruger to Tembe Elephant Park. Just 3 days after arrival we left Kruger for a 2 days trip to Tembe. Invited by the management to see Isilo and other big tuskers. :)
We left Kruger very early in the morning at Crocodile Bridge and crossed Swaziland. In Kwazulu Natal we followed the signs to Tembe. Tembe is situated just south of Mozambique and east of Swaziland.
After checking in I saw Isilo at the screen (cam) at the reception. :big_eyes: I could not believe it but could not go there with my car. I told the girl at the reception that Isilo was the main reason to come to Tembe. She said something to another person and within 5 minutes the camp manager came to me and told me to take my camera. He took us with a safari-car to the waterhole where Isilo was. He told me that I was very very lucky since Isilo hasn’t been seen for some time , hiding himself in the bush.
Maybe you can imagine that my heart was pounding, I did not have any time to think, just had to look at some big tuskers. Very strange feeling… looking at a distance of 10.000 km at home by the webcam to that waterhole and now being there and watching these tuskers at close distance. :D :D

About Isilo, before he takes over to introduce himself and his friends in Tembe. Isilo is the biggest tusker in south africa and maybe southern africa. He is estimated at about 60 years of age. Think about it… Isilo as baby elephant in 1950 , older then many of us and still looking good. Enough talking by me so here is Isilo and friends.

Hellooooo, like Humbi I say rumbleeeeeeeeeeeeeeee to you.
My name is ISILO, living here in Tembe for about 60 years now. I have seen many things changing here. In the early days it was just wilderness here, now there is a camp and regularly I see people in cars looking at us. :cam: We have a wide range of animals here, many Nyala’s, Waterbuck, Reedbuck, Impala, Leopard, Lions, Rhino, also many different kind of birds and recently there are Painted Dogs here. Nice to know for you… some Painted Dogs from Kruger and some from Hluwe (this area) to form a pack.
Time to introduce myself to you by picures. I am used to that now. :roll: People stopping and using their click-clicks …well much better then pointing rifles at us what people did before and even these days it happens. :(
-
This is me !! :redface:
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
It was a very hot day so that’s why I came from the bush to the waterhole to drink, mud and dustbath. You can see some other friends around me. :) :)
-
-
-
-
-
-
In Tembe there are more animals then just elephants, allthough we are the most important ones here !! :rtm:
-
One of the other animals is Nyala, there are many of them here. Some say like you see Impala in Kruger you will see Nyala here.
-
-
-
-
-
-
I will take you to another area in Tembe, what we call the wetlands. Here you find Waterbuck and Reedbuck… yes… in a way family of Reedy, from last story. :whistle:
-
Waterbuck, nice to see them all looking in the same direction.. :lol: :lol:
-
-
-
and Reedbuck
-
-
-
Just north of these wetlands there is the border to Mozambique. I don’t speak portuguese so I never crossed the border. :tongue:
-
Other frequent visitors of the wetlands are buffalo and rhino
-
-
-
and the rhino
-
-
-
Going back to the bush now.
-
On the way back I see one of my girlfriends. :dance: Believe me, I have “seen” many ladies over the years and there are many many youngster calling me daddy. :whistle: :whistle:
-
-
Tembe is also known for the birds , like to show a few of them
-
-
-
You can see the area is different , sand and many palmtrees. On the road one of the gentle animals , the giraffe.
-
-
Coming closer to one of the waterholes I see some Kudu, beautiful antelope
-
-
-
Time for one of the other big tuskers here. You can see that tusks are very different, widely spread , that’s why we call him WIDY. :hmz:
-
-
-
Moving on, from the bush to another waterhole I like to show you the Red Duiker. You will not see this antelope in Kruger (as far as I know). It is one of the smaller antelopes but beautiful with his red colour.
-
-
-
Soon we will have another species in Tembe. I am very curious since I have never seen them in my life. They are still in the Boma now before they get released. They are called Painted Dogs. No problem for me but I think the antelopes will not like this pack.
-
-
-
Ok, great. I just arrive at one of the other waterholes and see another big tusker. You know, I am about 60 years old and not long to live anymore. So it is good to see that other tuskers will take over later. :D
-
-
-
-
-
My Tusker friend Aat made a lot of pictures of me so have a look and I am saying goodbye from here. I am going back in the bush , the place I like most.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

ISILO, Thank you very very much ! It was very special to meet you here in Tembe.
A special place and many special animals. I never forget the moment of arrival where the camp manager took us immediately to you. Talking to the people in the camp it is not a daily thing to see you. Watching Isilo made the whole trip from Kruger to Tembe and back two days later more then worth. Truth is that Isilo was one of my highlights of the whole trip. People reading this and knowing me with my special interest about the tuskers of africa will understand me. About 11 named tuskers in Kruger and 5 in Tembe, I still can’t believe it. Are the people who call me tusker whisperer rigth after all? :hmz: :hmz:

Thank you for reading this story and comments / questions about Isilo / Tembe are welcome.

Next story will be told by Dwarf :huh:

5 weeks to go for next trip…. Can’t wait…..
Berg en Dal
Letaba
Mopani
Shingwedzi
Satara

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next