Golden Gate: ADVICE

Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Re: Golden Gate in 2 hours

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:57 pm

Bekke, the scenery is spectacular. Just drive where you want and enjoy. I have never really regarded it as a major animal spotting park. Birders love the area, I know.

I am actually thinking of taking a long weekend in winter.. just to re-experience the impossibly blue sky.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Corli

Re: Ordinary car or 4WD

Unread postby Corli » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:01 pm

I'm going on a trip to Golden Gate this month and it's good to know that you don't need a 4x4, seeing as I don't have one. :P

However, could anyone perhaps say whether the roads there are paved or dirt? This will help us to decide which car we will take. Also, how are the game drives, would a "low" sedan car be better, or is a higher hatchback (in this case, an Atos - keeping in mind it's not very powerful) better?

Thanks!

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Re: Ordinary car or 4WD

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:14 pm

Corli, a very warm welcome to you :D

It is a long time since I last went to Golden Gate. I can assure you, however, we were extremely comfortable in our sedan. We spent a lot of time walking, but I do not recall any problems when driving and sight seeing. My children were very young at the time, so I would have been sensitive to their needs and comfort.

Enjoy your trip, it is a wonderful and magical place. :thumbs_up:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

bigben

Re: Golden Gate: ADVICE

Unread postby bigben » Thu May 06, 2010 1:26 pm

I would have to agree. The park is not known for an abundance of wildlife but I would drive the two game loops, pretty good chance to see jackal, vultures, secretary birds, etc.

The scenery at GGHNP is stunning! If you want to get an amazing view of the park hike up brandwag across from Glen Reenen, fantastic views of east and west sections of the park! If it is nice, inquire about going to cathedral cave, another wonderful spot.

I hope you enjoy the park!
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience

bigben

Re: Golden Gate: INFO

Unread postby bigben » Fri May 07, 2010 3:02 pm

agg, I am jealous! Mountain Retreat is absolutely breathtaking, amazing scenery and some fun hikes up the mountain to crystal pans! Enjoy it!
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience

Bekke

Unread postby Bekke » Tue May 11, 2010 1:08 pm

Thanks for the info - will certainly try and do both loops. I guess the restaurant will be good for quick snack or coffee?

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Tue May 11, 2010 1:17 pm

Haven't tried it, but Brandwag Hotel is a hotel, so it should be good.

But the plan was 1.5 - 2 hours? So what would you be doing in the restaurant?

Actually, you would do yourself a huge favour by at least staying 1 night, so you can do one or two walks.
If you stay at the Mountain retreat (budget?) you will see many animals, they are on that side of the mountain. (And #7 has a resident pair of striped mice, say hello from me?)
Arriving currently: The photos from our trip! Overhere! :yaya:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

mvanwyk

Driving through Golden GAte

Unread postby mvanwyk » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:54 am

Hi
any idea of how much time I would need to drive from Kestell side to Clarens as a through route?

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Driving through Golden GAte

Unread postby DuQues » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:06 am

Welcome to the forums! :yaya:

That depends mightily on what you want to do. As a through route it's actually short. Don't know exactly anymore, but in the order of 2 hours.
It would take me a day...

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

doedsie

Re: Golden Gate in 2 hours

Unread postby doedsie » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:13 pm

Meandering Mouse wrote:Bekke, the scenery is spectacular. Just drive where you want and enjoy. I have never really regarded it as a major animal spotting park. Birders love the area, I know.

I am actually thinking of taking a long weekend in winter.. just to re-experience the impossibly blue sky.

Did you do the long weekend in winter? We were in Golden Gate from 23/6 for a few days and boy, was it cold! We Capetonians are not used to that kind of cold. It was my first time there (and for the life of me I cannot think why I did not go there before - it is wonderful) and I will definitely return. Although it was cold, the advantage in winter is peace and quiet - few other visitors.

Duke Ellieton

Unread postby Duke Ellieton » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:15 pm

Has anybody stayed in the Rondawels at the Basuto Cultural Camp at Golden Gate NP and what is this camp like?

Ernest J
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Ernest J » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:29 pm

Self Catering and stunning, lovely views, peaceful, tranquil, etc etc etc :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
Stayed there a few times
Closest shops Glen Reenen and Clarence but well worth the visit :clap: :clap:
“Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.”

pallavk3

Unread postby pallavk3 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:25 pm

Hi,

We staying in Basotho Cultural Village, can anyone give maps/trail to Cleopatra Pools. The reception at Glen Reenen wasn't able to give any information.

Apart from tarred roads are there any other dirt tracks which one can take.

Thanks

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:52 pm

There are a few loops, but not many. Two I think, Oribi loop, and ....
But you dont really need them, the important ones are the trails. And of them there are many!

shortcourse

Mini TR - Golden Gate

Unread postby shortcourse » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:50 am

Hi all

A very short feedback on this last weekend at Golden Gate. We arrived late on Friday night and because we were only staying Friday and Saturday night stayed at the family chalets across the road from the campsite. Very very nice with separate showers and even limited DSTV. The braai area outside is very nice - I would recommend picking units 29 and 31 as they have a bit of privacy - what is very nice is that these units have a dining table inside.

Be warned - even though it is mid-September it is still very cold! There are heaters and electric blankets in the rooms. Saturday we watched the rugby and then went to Clarens before going on the Oribi Loop and the Rhebok Loop and doing a little walk to the vulture restaurant - only dry bones there but they are planning on building a hide similar to Giants Castle which will be amazing. Wind was freezing. Not much game unfortunately, although a bride and groom were getting their pics taken - lovely.

On Sunday morning we went for a walk up to top of Brandwag - nice climb and the path is paved although the return leg over the other side is not and the women's legs were shaking at the end! Lots of baboons but again no other animals. Popped in to the hotel which is really nice - very nicely done up and great for conferences - the chalets at the hotel are smaller and not nearly as nice with not much space. Walked back to the camping ground - the camping ground is well maintained and bathrooms were clean. There were bikers there for the weekend but on Sunday it had cleared out so I would imagine if you went there in the week the place would be deserted!

Drive back was uneventful - lots of game near the Basuto Culteral Village, although only springbok, black wildebeest, zebra and blesbok - no luck with vultures unfortunately but will definitely return!

Return to “Northern Parks”