Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Garmap and KNP
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:02 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

You are only allowed to drive a small amount of roads, the rest is indeed management roads, roads for "reserved guests only" (like to bushcamps or consessions) and firebreaks.
And 4x4 tracks of course, which you are not allowed to do with anything but a 4x4,

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:06 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

David Maritz , beware of those Garmap roads . I assisted confused people near Orpen dam in December with directions , they thought they were at Orpen gate , this was minutes before gate closing time and they still had 2 hours of travelling to the gate .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:28 pm 

Lowveldboy wrote:
Hi DM, I have to agree with Ndloti. BEWARE. I would rather rely on the printed maps. I work with these garmap products on a daily basis and I would be very hesitant to rely on them in the park. Tracks4africa is a better bet.
Then half the fun is just going past a turn-off and on instinct and gut feel drive down the road to find something special. Almost always happen to me like that!!!

I would do so anyhow!
I would really like to have the indication of the GPS with me but if it works it does, if not I want to know where I am and so can I do with the printed map.
Anyhow do not travel with out the map anywhere... Batteries doe go flat maps DO NOT!

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:01 pm 

Hi I really believe everyone should have a printed map, but I will say we have a Tom Tom GPS and I really must say it was fantastic having it in Kruger .
It shows you the distance to the next prerecorded destination for E.G Satara to Letaba and it keeps on adjusting the time it will take to get there, at the speed you are traveling at, so can't be late, very handy, even on a dirt road in the middle of the bush.

Post subject: Re: Map of Kruger Park Roads
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:28 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Noticed the same :cry:

Good substitute. You can download the map to your computer

Post subject: Best guide book to the Kruger?
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:52 am 

Although no guide book can match this forum in information about the kruger, I like to get one guide book to the places I´m going to visit, this one

http://www.amazon.com/Getaway-Guide-Kru ... 1920289089

seems to be a good one, anyone knows if it´s good, or if I should try to buy another one?

Post subject: Re: Best guide book to the Kruger?
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:40 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
There are 4 or 5 map/guide bboks one can get at the Kruger gates and camps for about 6 euros. They are all good, and some come in different languages, but the one I recommend is by the Tinkers.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:55 pm 

I have all the books by Leo Braack
http://www.amazon.com/Kruger-National-T ... _pr_sims_t
They are very good
But there are good maps which can be bought in Kruger
Some with animal ids

Post subject: Re: Old KRUGER NATIONAL PARKS maps.
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:21 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Rooies wrote:
Great stuff :clap: I have a huge old map on the wall of my office which dates back before 1945, because my home town Welkom, which was only proclaimed in 1945, does not appear on the map. On top of the map the following appears;

"The Union of South Africa including Southern and Northern Rhodesia and Bechuanaland Protectorate"

It also gives the approximate number people in all the major towns, and it shows Nelspruit with an estimated white population of 1200!

I will try and get a pic of the Kruger area and post it here.

I had a look at the map again but could not find a date on which it was published. The following appear on the map;
1 Lydenburg: population 1799 'Europeans'
2 Baberton : 1447
3 Nelspruit : 660
4 No Phalaborwa town
5 No Lower Sabie
6 No Olifants camp

As mentioned previously, it is a very big map. Approximately 2,5 X 2 metres and it is framed. The map is very brittle and I don't want to take the risk by removing the frame. I have tried various tricks with ordinary cameras to get a decent pic, but without success and will try and get a professional photographer to do the job. I simply have to show you the map. It appears that the railway lines were the principal mode of transport because the roads were marked with a thin brown line, but the railway track were marked with thick black lines. I 'relieved' the previous owners, a law firm in Bloemfontein which was founded in 1902, of their map.

Can the Phalagatte please tell me when their little outpost was proclaimed? And for that matter, when Olifants and Lower Sabie was built.

7 On the western side of Kruger, only Rabelais and Malopene entrances.

Post subject: Re: Old KRUGER NATIONAL PARKS maps.
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:16 pm 

Rooies wrote:
Rooies wrote:
Great stuff :clap: I have a huge old map on the wall of my office which dates back before 1945, because my home town Welkom, which was only proclaimed in 1945, does not appear on the map. On top of the map the following appears;

"The Union of South Africa including Southern and Northern Rhodesia and Bechuanaland Protectorate"

It also gives the approximate number people in all the major towns, and it shows Nelspruit with an estimated white population of 1200!

I will try and get a pic of the Kruger area and post it here.

I had a look at the map again but could not find a date on which it was published. The following appear on the map;
1 Lydenburg: population 1799 'Europeans'
2 Baberton : 1447
3 Nelspruit : 660
4 No Phalaborwa town
5 No Lower Sabie
6 No Olifants camp

As mentioned previously, it is a very big map. Approximately 2,5 X 2 metres and it is framed. The map is very brittle and I don't want to take the risk by removing the frame. I have tried various tricks with ordinary cameras to get a decent pic, but without success and will try and get a professional photographer to do the job. I simply have to show you the map. It appears that the railway lines were the principal mode of transport because the roads were marked with a thin brown line, but the railway track were marked with thick black lines. I 'relieved' the previous owners, a law firm in Bloemfontein which was founded in 1902, of their map.

Can the Phalagatte please tell me when their little outpost was proclaimed? And for that matter, when Olifants and Lower Sabie was built.

7 On the western side of Kruger, only Rabelais and Malopene entrances.

Olifants was opened in 1960.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:36 pm 

The map books, especially the ones with the bird and animal ids, are invaluable.

For a guidebook that you can read at leisure have a look for Prime Origins Exploring Kruger.

Also have a look in Recommended Reading for other suggestions.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:07 am 

pedro maia, The book I love using is "The Kruger Park in 20 days" which you may purchase at http://www.krugernationalparkbook.co.za/ With this e-book you can see and read about more than 300 points of interest in the Park - a fantastic route planning tool for visitors to the Park. It offers GPS coordinates for way-points like waterholes, picnic spots, lookout points, rest camps, etc. combined with maps, lots of photographs and descriptions of the many way-points, covering almost every kilometer of road that is open to the public in the Park. Bokmakieriekie.

Post subject: Go! Kruger interactive maps
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:20 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Anybody else play with the interactive maps of Kruger on the Go! site? Pretty snazzy.

http://www.gomag.co.za/kruger/maps/game_viewing_maps.html

Post subject: Re: Go! Kruger interactive maps
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:04 am 

I have looking at the ipad app as well, they have a few out. Go Travel, go kruger and go Kgalagadi. As soon as i get back into town, will be getting them as they are a bit big to download. Any one played with them yet ?

Post subject: Kruger Wall Chart
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:40 pm 

Hi,

I am hoping someone may be able to help me. I would like to get a wall map of the Kruger (something along the lines of the map used on the sightings boards or maybe a little larger). Has anyone bought one of these or know where to get one?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next