Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 3
 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: MICETTA CHASING DASSIES, SQUIRRELS, LOBSTERS Dec 10
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:06 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
Micetta wrote :

Anyway I said somewhere that I was only going to write a TR if I saw a springbok with a jackal in its mouth chased by a cheetah.....
here is my reply :wink:

if somebody saw another... please post it, maybe she will write a TR :pray:

Last edited by anne-marie on Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: to help MICETTA to write a travel tale
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:50 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

You guys are irrististable :lol: :lol: I have tried to ignore you but now I have to give in...and with give in I do not mean that I'll write a TR, but that I am posting here!

Anne-Marie, this is going to cost you (you clever witch) :twisted:

Now you tell me, how am I going to write a trip report if I did not see anything (almost); it will be all concentrated on squirrels....is that what you want? :lol: Do you realize what it means to write a TR when Caracal has one going and Lionspoon is going to write one in a month's time? I don't even know how to take a proper photo, all my bird photos are grained and shaken and I did not fall in love with KTP even if I must admit that it has something fascinating about it. Twee rivieren was a bore, the bunglow in Nossob was horrible.... but of course I can always swift to Addo and Storms River Mouth.

As I have a bad feeling that you will not leave me alone (and I still love you all, strangely enough :hmz: ) I will see what I can do. No promises though, because I am against breaking promises, and I do not want to start just now to break one.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:00 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Now how do you think that I am going to sleep tonight thinking about the "squirrel report"? I'd better take a sleeping pill......don't have any :shock: or something liquid with the same effect :tongue:

Luckily tomorrow is "never on sunday" :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Neither do I Matthys, but the people are sovereign .... I surrenderImage and obey Image

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:26 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Proloque: As repeatedly stated, I had no intention to write a Trip Report, but as I am feeling immensely flattered by all this attention :wink: I have had to change my mind. May some higher forces sustain both you and me :pray:

-4° on the 14th of December 2010 :shock:
Let us (Fa e Mi) get out of here i.e. Lugano, Switzerland!!

From Milano via Cairo we arrived at Joburg with luggage and all. Fa flew out of the first door he saw for a sigarette :roll: while Mi went to get the modem for the netbook and a SIM card for the mobile phone at the MTN office. The modem was ready and loaded with 2GB of internet, but the paper work was not :wall:
Finally I could concentrate on the essential: Find Elzet, Theuns and Lil’one :dance: Do you know how many people are gathered in the arrival hall at O.P. Tambo? Image Image :( Image THE TELEPHONE of course!!!
And there they were those three wonderful persons that I had been looking so much forward to meet Image
They picked us up, took us sightseeing, cooked for us. Theuns taught Fa how to braai 8) they even ordered a real thunderstorm, a BIG one, to make easier the passage from winter to summer. :wink: They were unique :clap: :clap:

Being in Pretoria on the 16th of dec. a bright idea ripened... Why not go to Kgalagadi like this?Image...there were no
Imageavailable. Eish!!! Did the voortrekker have the same problem :hmz:

After two lovely days, rain and all we left for Upington hoping for some summer.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Upington 17th dec. 2010.

Small airports are great :dance: the car hire formalities were done in 5 minutes, everything was ready only photocopies of licences to be done.
Our Nissan X-trail was fine even if it had the steering wheel on the wrong side, but that is only a minor problem together with the gearshift.
ImageTaken at TR.

Straight to Pick’n Pay and what a Pick ‘n Pay!!! At the butcher’s I ordered meat to be vacuum packed, deepfrozen and to be picked up three days later when coming back from Augrabies. When I asked a lady about some prices she called right away one of the staff and put her to our disposal during the whole shopping round :clap: :clap: The whole staff was kind and helpfull, the shop was well stored and clean and orderly. It was a pleasure to shop there. I cannot say the same of the Pick ‘n Pay in Franschhoek :evil:

Do you want to hear about National Parks, camps and animals and see some pics too? Later :twisted:

Outside the shop we had a coffee, guess with who? Yes, Lion Queen and Picnic! We met them again at Twee Rivieren when they brought leopard cub to KTP where she had got a holiday job. Great meeting you!

Augrabies Falls National Park 17th – 19th dec. 2010

What do you do at Augrabies once you have seen Image

Image (Not exactly like they were 10 days ago) ??

Yes, we did the Image trail.
We walked from the bungalow to the start, but after 20 meters...: “Did you take the water Fa?” “ No I thought you had taken it Mi” *sigh* back to the bungalow to get the water and take the car to get back to the start. It still was not very warm and there was a nice breeze. If only we had known......

Some pics from the first part of the trail, from the second part there are none..

Image Pale-winged starling

At this point after a couple of hours and not many difficulties, we had to climb up and down the rocks, “jumbing” ( sit down on you behind, try if you can reach the next stone with one foot and find a sustain for one hand and slowly moving the other leg ahead getting a hold with the other hand, then slowly lifting the first foot resting in balance on three limps while deciding how to proceed) from one stone to the other passing small and not so small water streams.
The views and the nature were great, but the breath started suffering.

The trail was not signposted too well either. Reaching a lovely tree with lots of shadow underneath we both collapsed........on top of a “carpet” of OUCH!!!! spines. It could have been worse, only a couple had penetrated and the big ones were in the soles of the shoes. Stupid europeans :roll: in Africa a lot of trees have spines!

After a rest we reached a kind of road which was flooded and very, very slippery. My legs were kind of made of jelly at this point. “Stop Fa” I yelled “ a car is arriving, I am going to ask for a lift”. Nice big 4x4 arrived, slowed down seeing the road was flooded and maybe they also saw my left thumb making inviting movements in the direction of the camp. Whoever you are, you saved our lives that day one km. ca. from the camp, thank you :thumbs_up:

The bungalow at Augrabies was fine, the restaurant less.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

There is a story that goes with the non blurred starling pic. I use a "bridge" camera with a x20 zoom and Fa walks around with a tiny "point and shoot" in his shirt pocket. Fa knowing close to nothing about birds, but liking the looks and colours and this starling sitting on the rock with the sun shining on the feathers looked so nice and Fa pointed and shot " Damn, it just flew off when I clicked" :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:25 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

M&A's visit started with the onset of a week holiday for me. But before then it was time for my annual spring cleaning. Which entailed that I was a wee bit tired...

So when M&A and the LO set off to the shops on the afternoon of arrival, the Oom and I decided to shut our eyes for a while Image, ten minutes or so until their return... :whistle: :whistle:

Well, it so happens that upon their return, the LO politely closed our bedroom door, without a noise... and we woke up two hours later, :slap: :slap: , bewildered and very, very embarrassed.

And I was afraid of what reaction I'll get from Micetta... Image :tongue: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:39 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

... And the next morning the rain came down in torrents. And our loos started to rise... and rise... so we gave M&F instructions not to flush theirs... Image Eisch... :redface: :redface:

Yet, this was not the end. Things happen in threes, or so they say. Fa isn't into dogs, but he soon made friends with our two K-9s. However, on the last evening, our blind labrador decided that Fa was an intruder, and made it known to Fa... Image

:slap: :slap: :redface: :redface:

So I think it was a relieved M&F that got dropped off at the airport the next morn'... :twisted: :whistle: :slap:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:45 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Please calm down everybody, Elzet included (BTW, How the heck did you manage to log on?) All those expectations make me afraid Image.

At least Elzet is giving me a hand now :D It might raise the level..........of the laughter 8) and don't tell lies, I was crying having to go away after only two days of rain...sorry stay :lol: We had such a great time and so little time, especially with you and the Oom sleeping in the afternoon :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:13 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park 19.12 – 26.12.2010

we stayed in bungalow n. 1
Next door on one side we had 4 rather noisy people drinking sundowners, but who luckily went to the restaurant for dinner. On the other side we had a whole colony of Image
:( they are much smaller than I immagined. I thought they were bigger than the tree squirrels and that shows how the zoom and big lenses change the reality. Things are never what they look like in a trip report. One thing is to see the reality with your eyes another completely different is to see the photos.
Anyway I still love the small critters. I could have watched them for hours..and almost did

A short afternoon drive gave us three :shock: birds in our “game bag”
ImageNorthern black korhaan

and when I say that this Image is a pale chanting goshawk, you’ll have to belive me on my word :wink:

Furthermore this very rare sighting of Image “The famous Grouse” :whistle:

At Twee Rivieren Fa made his first braai. For this first experiment I thought it better to choose the sausage; it is difficult to ruin completely :wink: Surprise! The worst was excellent, only slightly burnt on one side :wink: you need a lot of patience to wait until the wood has burned down to the ideal point for cooking. Just ask Fa! (Why did I not take a pic of our first self made braai :hmz: ). This was the beginning of a love story between Fa and braaing. During the whole trip he nosed around spying on everybody who was braaing. Fa: “Did you know Mi, that there are lots of ways to start a braai?” or after a while. “ No good :naughty: he is trying to save on wood and firelighters”.

Next up: Morning walk....

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:08 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Cont. Twee Rivieren 20th. Dec. 2010. “

Getting up before the devil has got his shoes on, has never been one of my favourites, but “It's the early bird that catches the worm” my head sung ♪♫ Meeting point was the old reception at 5:30 for a morning walk.

The truck, Jannie, David ( I think) and leopard cub were already there, so we hopped on board in the pitch dark full of expectations. When we started driving we realised how cold it was...the three of us behind were freezing :shock: Let it be a lesson!!

To be truthful, I had no idea where we were heading, but after 15 min. We stopped and got off the truck. I was very impressed by the way our two guides prepared their rifles setting them on: ready to fire :rtm:

The sky started to light up a little and I could not wait for the sun to rise in order to warm up. Jannie stopped and pointed to a fresh Imageand said that it was so fresh that the lion had probably already seen us and had hidden. I wanted to go and look for it, but considered that Jannie probably knew better. We started climbing the dune

towards the desirable sun in a gorgeous light

Finally the sun showed itself

Oh what a blessing for the soul and above all for the body :wink:

Our first sighting, apart from the sun, was an elderly springbok lady

probably fallen down from a tree after a discussion with a leopard and shortly after her husband

Great sightings :roll: :lol:

Jannie passed me his binocolars telling me to look at the cape foxes “up there”. Mi: “where?” Jannie: "up there”......... Not even an elephant would have been visible at that distance :doh:

By chance I saw jannie’s post on the forum the next day: “ Lion spoor, cape foxes and general game”.

This is a pic of the general game

spotted by leopard cub :| 8) :lol:

To tell the truth going back on the truck, we did see an old

Nice morning walk, good exercise, one should do it every morning :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:53 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Afternoon at Twee Rivieren 20th dec. 2011
Look who was waiting for us when we came back from our walk :dance:

Probably we both passed out, because I have no memory from 8:30 to 17:00 :hmz: when we went for a drive and finally saw some wild animals..

The poor jackal was looking desperately for a tree....with no trees around what shall a poor “doggie” do :huh:

Yes now it was hot, the cold morning was forgotten by everybody

It was a real relief to see that there are some whole ones still alive, not only left overs

Wow, a whole lot of them :shock:

A really speedy mongoose Gonzales tried to escape me, but I got him..ha!

I wanted to show you a blurd, but this Kori bustard looks just too nice not to show and I was enthusiastic to have seen one. Finally something special...........the first of a dozen :roll:

He was on his way to the waterhole for a rendez-vous with a friend.

They did as if they did not know one another, but I saw the glances that they sent each other when they thought nobody was looking.

What an exciting drive this afternoon, may the next ones be better I thought, when I returned the permit with the moon looking down at me.

Next: En route to Nossob.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:57 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

En route from Twee Rivieren to Nossob 21st dec. 2010

Some wise guy had advised us to take the northern Dune Road as “all the animals have moved up north” :slap:

Bumping slowly north, a big sighting.... in the sense of a very big bird

A little later at Samevloeiing....life – feathered and furred :shock:
Isn’t that a mischievous look he has on his face looking at all those "Famous Grouse"s :twisted:

Small sighting... in sense of small bird, no blurd yet :whistle:
Common fiscal Image

And another fiscal :roll: ...... STOP!! :big_eyes: This one will cost Lionspoon R50 :dance: :dance:
Image PYGMY FALCON :clap: :clap:

If you cannot get the big things, you must content yourself with something smaller (better than a lion sleeping in the shade under a tree 200 meters away and miuch nicer colours :whistle:)

Image Tree agama

I don’t know about you, but I am about to fall asleep Image, but I cannot resist when I see a squirrel

It is not true that there was nothing big, just look at this one Image
Auchterlonie came

and went :roll:

After an hour or five :oops: the first blurd and what a blurd..

Image A crimson-breasted shrike

Wow! Things were moving now, because shortly a schrub hare

and its cousin “the blurred scrub hare”, a very rare sighting, ask anybody :roll:

Not wanting my camera to cool down i dared a flower shot!

The roller coaster dune road was a b s o l u t e l y empty.....................................................

On the other hand Dikbaardskolk was one big lunch party. No room for two hungry souls who divided a piece of leftover boerwors in the car, washing it down with an excellent lukewarm sparkling water Image

If there is still somebody awake ....the best sighting of the day

The embarrassing thing about that bird is what I only discovered it later, when I saw the pic next to this one :redface:

What a stiffneck I am :tongue: A ludwig’s bustard does not look at all, or almost not like a kori bustard :lol:

On the other hand I thought this was something special until I discovered it was a Namaqua dove :roll: Some you win, some you loose loose loose loose.....

With all this talking of littering the grounds of the parks, just before Nossob someone had thought of uplifting the question on a higher level :wall:

Next: Nossob

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Arrival at Nossob 21.12.2011

Only a digression, nothing to do with Anne-Marie’s TR :twisted:

Sorry everybody, I know that you want to laugh and that’s what I prefer too, but there are some things that I do not want to make humorous even if it would not be difficult at all. One of those things is the state of the accommodations in the parks. I do not mind the simple things with a minimum of modern facilities, when the ones that there are, are working, not broken or dirty, but what I find hard to accept is the squalor.

Most of the times we arrive at a new camp tired only wanting to unpack in a hurry, get the braai going and relax with a glass of something, but more often than not there are things that are not in order or missing or dirty or what do I know (actually I do know) and it irritates me immensely and ruins my mostly good mood.

First of all I hate the squalor, that you find in many accommodations in Sanparks. The lack of repair of things that I would be able to fix with a screwdriver, some glue, a couple of nails and a hammer, a layer of paint or simply a replacement of minor or no cost at all. The lack of hangers in a wardrobe. The lack of a shelf in the bathroom where to put your toiletries. The lack of hooks in the bathroom for the towels, that are nicely laid out on the beds ( or are you expected to put them back on the bed after use nicely humid?) . The lack of a waste basket in the bathroom. The dustbin in the kitchen without a lid or a broken one etc. etc. etc. This is only a list that fits mostly.

Apart from all the above + 4 or 5 individual shortcomings for this bungalow only :hmz: , when we entered there were no table nor chairs in the kitchen :wall: Down to reception ( I tried to get another bungalow, but they said that the camp was fully booked) to ask for the missing furniture. I did not hear a: “ We are sorry” or similar, but a laconic “I’ll send someone”. The “someone” x 2 arrived rather quickly with a table and two chairs THE ONES FOR OUTSIDE :shock: that seem to be made of cast iron and are enormous and very, very heavy. They have probably taken them from outside the twin bungalow.. Better than nothing.... :roll: In the evening of the next day “someone” returned and told that they needed the furniture, they had brought the day before..........I am sure that you can imagine what kind of an answer “someone” got.

This is the kind of things that are not acceptable, not only the missing equipment, but the whole attitude and total lack of understanding of things seen for the guests’ point of view.

You cannot expect that the persons who clean the units are able to understand our needs and the way that a bungalow should be presented. A supervisor with at least some experience in the tourist industry should control not only the units, but also reception and the whole camp. If not daily at least once a week. How many times have you found a lamp that does not work? ....and that is the absolute minimum lack I can think of.

Yes, I have sent a complaint to pile up with all the others!!!

Now that I have got this off my chest, the next instalment will be more in tune with the former ones and please excuse me for my outburst, but these are things that are unacceptable and very much underestimated by Sanparks.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next