Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 3 of 15
 [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next

Which option do you prefer?
Poll ended at Fri May 06, 2011 7:20 pm
a. Check in / check out times 14:00 / 10:00 daily 11%  11%  [ 24 ]
b. Check in / check out times 12:00 / 09:00 daily 89%  89%  [ 187 ]
Total votes : 211
 Post subject: Re: Which check in times do you prefer?
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:21 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi glmsmit
I will try to clarify
If the odd 200 visit the poll it will cause a ripple imo
But if 1000 forumites did the poll that will make a huge difference :dance:

The experiences with polls were unfortunately always the odd 200 with a few exceptions of 100 more.

And yes, we always sent the results with comments to SANparks.
Its our duty and wont be different this time.
And with complaints at the receptions and Groenkloof this might help tipping the scale :wink:

@Decision being made: As in any business management is always reluctant to accept that they
might have made a wrong decision :wink:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:19 pm 

bert wrote:
@Decision being made: As in any business management is always reluctant to accept that they
might have made a wrong decision :wink:

But how many people have decided that they won't visit the park because of the changes? If there is no change in the numbers then how can a "wrong decision" be proved?

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:53 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I consider myself lucky not to be affected by the check in/check out times, because we (my husband and I) feel that any time spent in the bungalow after 6:00 and before 16:00 or even 17:00 is wasted. We are there only twice a year for 8 or 10 nights at a time, and don't want to miss any possible sightings. Fortunately both of us are "morning people", normally get up early to make the most of the day. Needless to say, by 20:30 my "battery" is flat. As long as the check in time is not that late, I am happy.

I have casted my vote for 14:00 and 10:00 (check in and check out), because of the overseas visitors after I have read their opinions on this thread and can clearly understand why they need a rest on arrival or even during their stay in the heat of the day. We are used to high temperatures, and yes, many times close the windows and put the aircon on between 12:00 and 14:00.

I can also understand why campers need to check in earlier. To drive around with a caravan until check in time surely can be difficult. They also cannot enter all the dirt roads on their way to their destination because of the caravan. Apart from that, it takes time to set up camp.

It is, however, difficult to keep everybody happy, and nothing will make us decide not to visit the Park because of the changes. :)

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:06 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

My daily bump:

Have you cast your vote, also please express your views.

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:52 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

My daily bump:

Have you cast your vote, also please express your views.

It has crossed my mind that all visitors to the KNP are not forumites and will not be aware of this poll, I am of opinion that all visitors to the KNP should have the opportunity to air their views.

I there for request that the Mods contact the SANParks management and request them to add the questions of this poll to the guest feed back.

I do realize that the feedback forms have already been preprinted, the solution - a slip of paper with the questions on stapled to the feed back forms and handed to all visitors to the Park - including day visitors, starting now as it is still nice and warm and let it run until end May 2011.

Added to this request is that the following be done :

Inform the forum how many feed back forms were issued, how many were received back and the what thew result of the poll was so many preferring A and so many preferring B.

I will be visiting KNP during February and May 2011 and will then eagerly await the feed back forms with the attachment.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:11 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

weesy wrote:
Anyway arrived at 1145, and in no time were advised our chalet had been cleaned and it was no problem for us to move in. So a huge big thanx to the Pretoriouskop staff who allowed us to move in early it was so appreciated. :clap: :clap: :clap:

We then moved from P/kop to lower Sabie for 6 nights and again were ahead of time but took the chance of being able to move into our tent early. Once again it was apsolutely not a problem and i even asked if there were folk in the tent the night before and the answer was yes. So thanx to the cleaning staff who did a fab job on time and the Office staff who allowed us to move in early. WONDERFULL SERVICE FROM FANTASTIC FOLK :clap: :clap:

From both these camps I experienced the opposite. The worst was+_ 6 Oct 2010 at lower sabie. At 13:50 I was helped and booked in. Then the surprise, I had to fall back into the line as they do not give out keys untill 14:00 and since the line progressed slowly, only received the keys at 14:25!

The unit was clean, but I was not allowed the keys 10 minutes before the time (even though I promised not that I first want to go to the shop and would not be there before 14:00)!

In Pretoriuskop on 9 June I was refused the keys to the Pierre Joubert guesthouse 5 minutes to 14:00! I had to wait for 5 minutes and then receive the keys!

It just shows that it is also dependend on being at the right place at the right time!

In the end it feels like some of the reception staff enjoy the "power" of being able to make you wait.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:14 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Have you cast your vote and/or expressed your opinion?.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:18 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Oh and just before I forget, has the Mod doing the moderating of this thread seen my posting of Thursday?
Are you prepared to forward my request to the SANParks Management, if it had been sent I request a copy of their acknowledgement of receipt, just to make sure that someone from the SANParks side had received it.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:27 pm 

gmlsmit wrote:
Oh and just before I forget, has the Mod doing the moderating of this thread seen my posting of Thursday?
Are you prepared to forward my request to the SANParks Management, if it had been sent I request a copy of their acknowledgement of receipt, just to make sure that someone from the SANParks side had received it.
Some doubt that we mods would send on your request gmlsmit? :wink:

It will be sent on, I undertake to do it. But I am not comfortable to demand an acknowledgement of receipt - if I get one, I will post it here.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Like good citizens, and even though my SO had a leg so sore that he could not walk on it, we drove around till 2.15 pm (even skipping a possible lion sighting because of the pain) and then went to check in. Skukuza's reception staff were very friendly, handed me the key and off we went. It was now approximately 2.30, well after the official arriving time that clearly did not suit us under the circumstances.
What did we find: a bungalow in the process of being cleaned! Could some-one give me a reason for that? I thought the longer time for cleaning was one of the main reasons for the later booking-in times!! The cleaner asked us just to wait a bit as she was not finished yet and the stoep was not yet dry.
I did fill in a complaint form, but never heard anything about it.
GO, GMLSmit, this whole situation is untenable and must be addressed.

1-6 May '13

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:07 am 

I also prefer the 12h00 check-in for numerous reasons. In future I will stay at fewer camps than intended and for longer periods of time to avoid repeatedly checking in at 14h00.
If others have the same idea and choose to stay at fewer of the "more popular" camps, then this may lead to much higher concentrations of people in specific areas and all the rigmarole that goes along with that!
I love Kruger very much and have been going for many years and hope there's many more to come, but if I feel at some point it doesn't satisfy my personal needs then I know it's not the only place I can visit to spend my hard earned cash and have a wonderful time.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:03 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Db.

My post was made in order that someone from SANParks acknowledges receipt of my request, should they see it as a demand . . . .

My reason for posting this is due to the posts from Boorgatspook, Bert and DuQues about this matter.

I do not for one moment doubt the integrity and goodwill and intentions from the lady from the Buffalo City, and you are well aware of this :).

And then my daily bump

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:08 pm 

With the new times, the morning of leaving camp makes for quality mornings in-camp.
Even for a lay in after 4:00. Precious, for a change, instead of BITING AT THE BIT at the gate.
Packing the car the night before as usual, taking time to visit the fence early morning before daybreak.
Having a proper breakfast in private without racing for a spot at a picnic spot.
Changing camps has become more relaxing and check in 2 hours later, no bother.
Me and my family prefer the new times.

Last edited by giraffee on Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:55 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

gmlsmit - Let me help you with the 'daily bump'

Mites please vote on this poll and express your opinion!

SANParks needs to know the needs and requirements of the people who keep the park functioning.

No to Hotels in Kruger

Every time I get the news that another Rhino has died, a piece of me dies too - Edna the Brave

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:43 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks norms, 142 have taken part.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next