Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 3
 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Basic Rules to adhere to while visiting the National Parks.
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:06 pm 
Guru
Guru

Basic Rules to adhere to while visiting the park or out game viewing.

Due to complaints from visitors to the park and from staff I have taken some ‘Regulations’ from the National Environmental Management: Protected Areas Act – Act 57 of 2003.

If all guests and staff follow the few simple rules it will make the park a better place for all, if a staff member or visitor to the park don’t adhere to these rules they will be heavily fined or even have to appear in court.

DO NOT !

1. Use any recording of the sound of a species or specimen or imagery or scent of a species or specimen to attract animals (DON’T FEED THE ANIMALS).
2. Remove any wood, sand, gravel, stone, sea shell, guano or other material.
3. Enter, leave or travel at any time other than the times determined by the management authority.
4. Drive or park anywhere except on a designated road or place.
5. Drive or operate any vehicle in a reckless or negligent manner or in a deliberate or intentional disregard for the safety of any person, species, specimen or property of whatever nature.
6. Throw, roll or discharge a stone, substance or missile to endanger any person or species or specimen. (Try to get the animals attention for a better photo).
7. Drive vehicle off-road or off designated roads or tracks (The Kalahari sand system is a very fragile system and when going of the road it will take years for the area to recover- don’t go over the shoulder of the road).
8. Hinders troubles, intimidates, or obstructs an authorized official in the execution of his/her duties, or the performance of his/her functions.
9. Violates, refuses or fails to obey or comply with any prohibitation, request or instruction imposed by these regulations or by the management authority or authorised official.
10. Violates, refuses to obey or comply with any prohibitation request or instruction, by alighting from a motor vehicle or protruding from an open window door or roof. (Only get out of the vehicle where there is a board/sign stating you can do so).

Then obviously the traffic rules as on South African roads as set out in Section59(1)(a)(4)(b)(c) read with 57(9), 58(2), 69(1), 73, 89(3) of Act 93 of 1996 & Regulations, 284-291 of the National Road Traffic Regulations, 200G.G 20963 dated 17/03/200 will have to be adhered to.

These were just some of the Do’s and Don’ts of the National Parks

Last edited by Kgalagadi Guru on Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Why can’t or shouldn’t I...........?
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:30 pm 
Guru
Guru

The following questions have come up so many times, and I hope this following explanation would be able to at least give an answer to the questions.

Why can’t I get out of the car or ‘hang’ out of it?

Firstly animals do not associate vehicles with danger (unless in the unforeseen situation where they have been provoked), so therefore they are use to the shape of a vehicle.
1. When people get out of the vehicle or break the silhouette of the vehicle the specie recognise the difference and will the either run away or charge the threat (Flight or fight). In a situation like this a person will also spoil other guests viewing and their experience; it can also be seen as causing the animal to behave un-natural.
2. If a person protrude from a vehicle and the driver needs to make a quick getaway it might cause bodily harm to the person protruding do to the sudden movement (They might fall out of the vehicle or bump a head while looking out of a sunroof), there are so many things that can go wrong.
3. If in the case where specie does charge the vehicle and injure itself so badly it might have to be put down as a result of human stupidity.

So for the safety of the specie and yourself please stay inside the car.

I have unfortunately seen what a lion can do to a car due to people hanging out and the lions charged the vehicle making contact with it.

Why shouldn’t I feed the animals?

1. Species are found in certain habitats due to the food source the live off, by feeding them they firstly associate the human with food and will get use to the idea of getting food from humans, when they are so use to it and start begging for food and might not get it from humans they can and will turn aggressive. This can lead to the animal being shot as it becomes a danger.
2. The food we think we give them because it is so cute that they will come and get it from us doesn’t have the minerals and nutrients they get from their natural food in the veld, this might lead to that the specie becomes sick and could die. When we feed we sign their death warrant.

Why shouldn’t I drive off road?

1. That’s why the roads are there to drive on, the Kalahari eco-system is very fragile due to the harsh conditions and the plant life takes years to grow. Every time a person drives off the road it damagers the vegetation (even if we can’t see anything growing – it is there).
2. Vehicle tracks of people driving off the road will stay for years before it might disappear as there is not so much vegetation to cover the off-road tracks, it spoils nature and surely people would think if one person can do it then i can, imagine what the Kalahari would look like if every person drives off the road.
3. There are so many little insects and reptiles which make their homes in the sand and when driving off-road their ‘houses’ could be damaged and the specie even killed.

Please when wanting to turn around rather make a three point turn than driving off road to turn, or to connect to another road rather take the long road to connect than just going off. Think twice about the actions before proceeding and the damage caused.

Post subject: Re: Why can’t or shouldn’t I...........?
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:28 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Jannie, this SPELLS it out perfectly!!!
I must comment, that having just returned from a visit 2 weeks ago, I was SO happy to see simple signage at various points making visitors aware of of Do's and Don'ts. These were in camp sites and also picnic and view points.
Gosh..... there is NO EXCUSE for people to say they were unaware of the rules.
Lets hope the visitors READ

Perhaps for some fun during the peak seasons of school holidays, the park could run some exciting info sessions for the kids, end with a quizz with the winner receiving a free night drive ?
Children often are the ones who correct the parents for doing things they shoudln't be doing

I think a lot can be learnt on these drives as well. During quiet moments a little chit chat mentioning some of the points that KG has mentioned above is also a suggestion.

Thanks KG

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:15 pm 
Guru
Guru

Dreamer,

That is a good idea I will run it through management and see what we can come up with. It is always easy to write the rules down BUT if people will adhere are a different story and the abuse we get from guests if you fine or warn them.

This morning early I left for Mata-Mata, on my return the two vehicles in front of me decided that they are going off road and get out. I couldn’t believe what i saw so I stopped next to them and politely asked them to get back into the vehicle and back onto the road, once they were back on the road I asked them for their permits to write them a warning, then the abuse started (the sea would not be able to wash me clean). I advised them that they have signed the permit that they have read the rules and also the fines they could get for not obeying but that didn’t help.

In such an event I contacted the gate to notify that the vehicles should not leave the park until the culprits had a talk with the section ranger and it would then be up to him what fines he would give.

If you are caught breaking the rules PLEASE don’t start to swear at the staff member we are just doing our work.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:38 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Thanks KG!

I was watching a programme the other night where ppl in a boat saw a 'tame' looking dolphin swimming near their boat. They went off and bought some fish and jumped into the water and fed it WHILE IN THE WATER (and some Americans try to tell others what to do!.

The dolphin bit the woman on the leg and tried to pull her under. They were shocked and couldn't understand it.

DON'T FEED WILD ANIMALS!

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:41 pm 
Guru
Guru

Thanks BB I agree with you. The only predictable thing about nature is that nature is unpredictable

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:31 am 

Great thread KG, but I suspect you're probably preaching to the converted here. What about taking your idea and getting the People & Conservation folks to help you develop a one-page info sheet, together with amusing cartoons to show the negative outcomes that could result from these types of behaviour. (Amusing cartoons are more likely to get people to take notice.) These info sheets could be put up in the chalets and ablutions, using them as a way to educate people.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:14 am 
Guru
Guru

@Annie R

It is a great idea, as a matter of fact I do have a meeting with the P&C Officer later today, i will bring it up and see what we can come up with.

Thanks

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Kgalagadi Guru wrote:
Why shouldn’t I drive off road?

3. There are so many little insects and reptiles which make their homes in the sand and when driving off-road their ‘houses’ could be damaged and the specie even killed.

Please when wanting to turn around rather make a three point turn than driving off road to turn, or to connect to another road rather take the long road to connect than just going off. Think twice about the actions before proceeding and the damage caused.

So true, Kgalagadi Guru !!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:04 pm 
Guru
Guru

Thanks Toko.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:14 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

It is so funny how people are absolutely self centered. As long as they have a good sighting, anything goes. And the excuse is often ... "but nothing happened to us!" I.e. by hanging out or driving off road.

It is at that times that I itch to tell them ... "I couldn't care a bit about you ... it is about the animals, the plants and the geology stupid!"

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:37 pm 
Guru
Guru

Imberbe,

I so agree with you.

For those guys speeding, watch out for THESE guys they ARE waiting for you. I must say that in the few minutes that I was with these two a few cars were pulled over and fined HAPPY CHRISTMAS

Here he comes.

AND........Gotcha

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:16 am 
Guru
Guru

We will try our best from the park side, again we cant always be every where and that is where we would appreciate our guests input and reporting of law breakers.

Thanks to you as well

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:25 pm 

Hi Jannie

Why can't or shouldn't I ... take our 9 year old son to the wilderness camps (Kieliekrankie, Urikaruus, Gharagab, Bitterpan, Grootkolk) but "only" to the rest camps (Twee Rivieren, Nossob, Mata Mata) and to the Kalahari Tented Camp near Mata Mata? Why can he not come along on a early morning bush walk, he is used to hiking all day in the Alps after all?

I am just planning our family's visit to the park next August and was disappointed to find out that he would have to be 12 years of age to be accepted. Is this an issue of safety (e.g. child wanting to pet the cuddly lion or the fascinating snake) or of tranquility (e.g. noisy child play driving away shy game)?

BTW this is my first post, so hi to all and compliments for the very informative and helpful website and forum

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:41 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Clint a very warm welcome to the forums
Until Jannie comes online perhaps you would like to read the opinions here?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next