Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 6
 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Aat&Elly Story 70-Farewell Party & Goodbye(last story)Nov'10
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:49 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Introduction
Aat (54) and Elly (49) from the Netherlands

Stories so far:
01 - Being Lucky - http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=48494&start=15

02 - Sleeping together … told by 2 Big 5 members http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=48494&start=30

03 - About Lions and Elephants http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=48494&start=60

04 - Interactive story about BIRDS (part I) http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=48494&start=90

05 - About Sable, wonders and emotions http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=48494&start=120

06 - A Tusker’s day - http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=48494&start=135

07 - Story of a large Roan Antelope Arno - http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=48494&start=165

08 - Lions and Buffalo - http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=48494&start=180

09 - Warm Welcome to Kruger (A fairy tale or real ?) - http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=48494&start=195

10 - Fighting against time - http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=48494&start=210

11 - Tusker Relay - http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=48494&start=240

12 - Unexpected Dinner Guest in Mopani - http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=48494&start=255

13 - Interactive story about BIRDS (part II) - http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=48494&start=285

Hi all,
Some were already asking for a TR before I got back home. :lol:
I was thinking about how to do this TR and decided to do it in a different way then other years.
Not a day to day report but a TR by telling stories supported by pictures of special sightings, moments or subjects.....

Before I start with telling stories I must say that we had a wonderful trip to Kruger again with lots of special sightings of "common" and rare species.

Starting the trip at home with packing, waiting at airports (I tried flying with Egypt Air this time and must say Great !! Lot of space between the chairs and a beautiful terminal in Cairo (Egypt).
Arriving in J'Burg , picking up the car (brand new one when we got it and 9000 km on the clock when returning it including 100kg of dust) , think they like me :lol: :lol:

Driving on the completed main roads (4 lanes) with a nice speed we arrived oktober 8th in Pretoriuskop after 4 1/2 hours including eating wraps at Millies.
Checking in and feeling back "home" again in Kruger.... I think a lot of of you know this feeling....

We were not crying but just feeling very very happy to be back in the "animal" world and away of the "people" world. Looking forward to the 4 weeks to come including a short visit to Tembe EP.
The only goals we had were ENJOYING / RELAXING and Tuskers :)

Stories will follow soon :whistle:

Last edited by Aat on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:30 pm, edited 100 times in total.

Post subject: Aat and Elly (4 weeks KNP) okt/nov 2010 Story 1 (nov 8th)
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:12 am 

First story of our trip oktober 8th till november 4th

As said the stories are random chosen and not a day to day trip report.

Story 01 – Bad Luck or Lucky

Oktober 15th 2010
Early morning in Kruger (Crocodile Bridge), the day after we got back from a short trip to Tembe EP.
Still a bit tired but decision made to get up early and having breakfast in Tshokwane to have a calm and relaxed day with driving a bit around.

We just finished our breakfast (mmmm bacon, eggs, toast etc) at Tshokwane with lots of birds watching our plates getting more and more empty. A man who just arrived told us he had a beautiful sighting (Leopard with a kill) just near the road…
Leopard…with kill… sounds interesting so asked him where he had the sighting. He told us that it was just 10 km from Tshokwane towards Skukuza….

No doubt… we were on our way getting closer and closer to the place and yes….several cars were already lined up (political way of saying there was a small traffic jam)
Buttttt….. the only thing we could see was the kill hanging on in a tree no sign of a leopard.
Funny to see a traffic jam for a killed Impala where no one payed attention for him when he was still alive !!

After 15 minutes of waiting I really got the feeling that the leopard would not come again…6st sense ??
I decided to move on and told my wife Elly to take the S36 (just a feeling). Some roads you love , others you avoid …. And I love the S36 !!

We were just driving on the S36 when we saw something running towards us… a bit later we recognized a pack of Wilddogs.

-
-

I remember that we have seen Wilddogs during all our trips but most of the time they were laying down somewhere or walking slowly ….this time it was different, they were running , trying to find a victim so I had to turn the car fast and followed them….
That was really fun…Running and sniffeling with their noses … leaving the road for a while…coming back and running again.
Remarkable , no other cars on the road so we could follow their hunt for about 7 km…incredible to see them busy this way and being part of their hunting activities..

look at pics and enjoy like we enjoyed it
-
-
-
-
-
-
Do you smell something?
-
No ...nothing so let's move on
-
-
Ok...and here ...something here ?
-
-
Pfffff nothing again so let's go into the field ...bye Aat and Elly
-

So from Bad Luck with the leopard who wasn’t there to Lucky with this amazing sighting …. We almost felt tired by following all their movements …

End of first story :)

Last edited by Aat on Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Aat and Elly in KNP okt/nov 2010 Story 2, date okt 25th
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:26 pm 

Second story of our trip oktober 8th till november 4th
(Stories are random chosen and not a day to day trip report)

Story 02 – Sleeping together … told by 2 Big 5 members

Oktober 25th 2010
A hot hot day in Mopani , temperatures rising to 45 celcius… it is afternoon when we were on our way back to Mopani camp for lunch after a wonderful morning with some special sightings. That will be another story for later smile….. All I like to say now is that our stay in Mopani was Great with a big G !

Getting close to the junction to Mopani camp there was a traffic jam with 2 to 3 cars (Mopani style) so at least there should be a something to see…..

A tree and a Leopard in it (George Clooney should say …what else)
It was very clear that the leopard was looking for a nice place in the tree to sleep, a bit wind…, shadow, a good view for possible victims…. All what a cat likes and needs.

Even from a distance you can see he has to go to “bed”
-

and like most cats it always takes some time to find the right place …
-

Leopard is taking over now....
Finally….eyes closed and going to dreamland, Impala 1…impala 2… impala 3 …snorrrrr…dreammmm sleeppppp….grrrrrmmmmmmm
-

Suddenly a noice … what is it ?
-

Is it you in your car waking me up or ?
-

No… no danger ..so think I will close my eyes again… Impala 101… impala 102…impala103
Snoezzzzzzzzz
-

What the *********** (a still unknown and not translated leopard expression) is this ????
This is my tree and I am sleeping pfffffffff ..ohhh it is just a stupid elephant bull using my tree to scrub… WATCH MY TAIL Bull !!
-

Mhhh he is coming close shall I give him a kick or ?
-
-

Well, maybe better to get a bit higher in the tree with this massive piece of meat under me… ( elephant bull has still no idea about the leopard )
WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN TO ME TODAY ????????? WHY MEEEEE???
-

Like the Leopard did before the elephant bull starts to count …. Nshawu 1, Nshawu 2, Nshawu 3……. Snorkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
-
-

I am dreaming of a green graceland…..lalalalalaala
-

Well….if you are going to sleep here ….I will also take a nap then…. Sweet dreams bull

I hope you liked the story , told by the animals we love. Scenes / sightings like this are special, at least for us !

Till next story

Last edited by Aat on Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Aat and Elly (4 weeks KNP) okt/nov 2010 Story 3 (at page 5)
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:58 pm 

Third story of our trip oktober 8th till november 4th
(Stories are random through the trip, not following a day to day trip report)

Story 03 – About Lions and Elephants.

November 1st 2010
Early morning in Satara, we decided not to line up to be one of the first to go through the gate but left about 6:30. We are moving this day from Satara to Lower Sabie. As always I used my 6th sense to decide which road to take and this time we took the S100
S100 is a kind of famous road, however for some people it is a good and exiting one for others just a untarred road. The start was not promising , almost no animals and at the left side a black burned field…bahhhhh how ugly it is. (We understand that for some reasons it has to be done but as visitor it is really ugly).
When we arrived about halfway at the S100 we found some lions close to the road and looking a bit better we saw a male and female lion further away , a bit separated (with a good reason)

Roar one of the lion kings is taking over now to tell his story of that morning

Hi all, I am ROAR, one of the Lion kings in the Satara area and please meet one of my wifes too.
-

We were enjoying the morning, peacefully together and I must admit I am very much in love with my wife.
-
-
The rest of my pride is at some distance of us, love to introduce them to you. My pride is still a small one but with hard “working” it will grow :) :)
-
-

My wife is so pretty and likes me so much that we decided to have children together. :D :wink:
So as it works with lions we express our love many times during several days
-
-
After this wonderful moment my wife was laying down enjoying the care I am giving her. I am responsible for my pride so I had to watch the area carefully….
-

Not far of us a herd of elephants were approaching , no food for us but will observe them for a while , they can be nasty sometimes. :evil:
I guess they go for a drink at one of the waterholes…
-

Oh nooo the elephants are not just going away , they like to prove they are big . Don’t they realize I am Roar , one of the kings of the bush ? :rtm:
-

Well… we are not afraid but better walk away slowly to avoid problem with them… :whistle: :whistle:
-

Slightly irritated now…. :evil: Some of these big grey trunkwearing “neighbours” like to show themselves off …and yes we know they are big ..pfffff
-

Roarrrrrr….. (x0990$%6*) sorry for this ! but they are going to be very nasty now… I am enjoying a wonderful morning with my wife and pride and now these muddy fat grey pieces of rock are going to chase us away …. Don’t they know the have to respect us Lions ??? :big_eyes:
-
-

I even have to run now but protecting my wife in front of me … grrrr… I rather do something else then running away for this herd :wink:
…. They surely will use the word protection of their babies as excuse to chase us…
-
-

Mmmm-roarrrrr….. that was painfull… :redface: :redface:
I ROAR and my wife/pride running away… mmm hope my pride and wife do understand that I was just walking away to protect them !! :whistle:
-

So… our “friends” are calme again and it looks like they move on … finally peace again. I am a bit tired to be honest… hungry, my wife very very “demanding” for two days on a row now :tongue: :tongue:
…. I need some rest I think…
-

One of my other wifes is a bit jealous I think :mrgreen: …she doesn’t look happy … :(
-

And here another wife of mine … she is sleepy and not interested too much or she doesn’t want to look at me now…
-

So….. elephants gone….. rest of pride save….
-
-
-

Well ,mmmmmmm my wife is making some noises, now everything is peacefull again I will continue with one of the better things in life !!! :tongue: :whistle: :dance:
-

Thanks for listening to my story …
Roar

This was story nr 3 , more to come soon , hope you liked it

Last edited by Aat on Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Aat and Elly (4 weeks KNP) okt/nov 2010 Story 4 (at page 7)
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:10 pm 

(Stories are random through the trip from oktober 8th till november 4th and not a day to day trip report)

Story 04 – Interactive story about BIRDS (part I)

This is an interactive story about birds in kruger narrated by a beautiful bird (to my opinion the most beautiful vulture)
Why interactive ….well I am not a birder but could not resist to photograph them but…. I just don’t know the names… so that’s why I need your help. I know there are a lot of birders / stiffnecks around so I trust on your knowledge.

Introducing WHITEY a white-headed vulture. He will take you around and ask you the names of the birds.
-
-
-

Hello…I am WHITEY and guide you around to ask you sometimes for the names of the birds I often or rarely see in Kruger. If I don’t put the name next to the picture please help me to ID ok ?

Let me take you to to bridge near Lower Sabie and meet these nice birds
-
-
and this friend who is always waiting..waiting…for a fish
-
-
From the Lower Sabie Bridge I fly a little bit around and love to show you some nice smaller birds in the area-
-
-
-
and this one
-
-
In some trees around I also saw these little birds
-
and
and
-
I decided to go north since there are no carcasses here at the moment to enjoy and my stomic is rumblingggg… I heard from my friends there a lot more carcasses near Satara…so let’s fly and see
-
Near Sweni Hide I saw these birds
-
and
3 different “kinds” here
-
-
a little further near the water I saw this group…
-
-
Mmmmm just finished a nice meal here , the lions are doing a good job !
-
Slowly flying from Satara back to the south I met this one close to Tshokwane in a tree…(what else..?)
-
-
and next to him this one
-
-
Near the road I found this bird , looks like small version of the Kori Bustard..
-
-
Arrived in the south again and along the S25 I found these raptors , like me looking for food
-
and
-
-
and this one …hey… he found a meal and is eating in the tree , I never do that, prefer my meals on the ground…
-
-
late afternoon…with sunset I met an old friend
-
-
This couple I have never seen before in my Kruger …. Where they come from?
-
-
Hungry again so back to Satara… for me this just takes me 10 to 15 minutes …high in the sky……. Getting closer to Satara I saw this wonderful bird …
-
-
and not far from him this nice raptor
-
-

Getting tired now and ready to sleep… just like to show you this Owl , just back in his tree near Afsaal and looks sleepy too.
-
-

Thanks for helping me with the ID’s of the birds and hope you like the story… next story will be about some “special & rare” Antelopes ….promised :) :)

Last edited by Aat on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Aat and Elly okt/nov 2010 Story 4 (at page 7 - update 20/11)
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:43 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Whitey’s birds:
1. Giant kingfisher
2. Goliath heron
3. Crested barbet
4. Crested barbet
5. Bennet’s woodpecker ??
6. Common waxbill (edited)
7. Black-collared barbet
8. Lilac-breasted roller

Near Sweni hide
1. Yellow-billed stork
Three in one pic:
Egyptian geese – Grey heron – Yellow-billed stork
Group of yellow-billed storks
The first eagle is a bateleur
Second a tawny eagle
Then a red-crested korhaan
Brown snake eagle
The one with a bad feather day is a tawny eagle
Martial eagle
Tawny eagle
The parrots I think are brown headed parrots
Secretary bird walking around on his long legs
Another tawny eagle but of the pale form
A sleepy scops owl

I stand to be corrected, I am not an expert :wink:

Last edited by Micetta on Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Aat and Elly okt/nov 2010 Story 4 (at page 7 - update 20/11)
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:31 am 

What a fantastic Bird collection "Whitey" has for us. :D

Well done Micetta, only changes are
Grey Waxbill to Common Waxbill

and Bennets Woodpecker to I think a Golden-tailed Woodpecker
but I am not 100% on the Woodpecker ID. and stand to be corrected.

Also an interesting note on the Bateleur is that Aat,s one is a Female
Broad white on the wing low down. :D

Post subject: Aat and Elly okt/nov (Sable) Story 5 (page 9 - update 26/11)
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:28 pm 

Fifth story of our trip oktober 8th till november 4th

Story 05 – About Sable, wonders and emotions

Hello all,
I really like to tell you this story about Sable Antelope. I think a sighting with them is on everyone’s wishlist.
This remarkable story begins with a flashback to last year when we saw Sable Antelope the first time ever. Date 6th of november 2009 we were driving on the S36 and near Modzweni waterhole we saw them at a distance of between 75 to 100 meters. It was a very exiting sighting, everyones recognizes the thrill if you see special animals first time who are high on your wishlist. And we all have one isn’t it ?
Two pictures of that sighting in 2009:
-
-

And now the story of 2010. Date oktober 20th 2010. We were staying in Satara camp and after a nice easy morning on this hot day we spend some time in the pool at Satara. My wife Elly decided to stay there to do some reading and tanning/swimming, but I was fealing a bit restless… a little voice in me told me to go for a ride and also told me to go south by taking the S34 to S36 and back to Satara… the idea was there and don’t know why but somewhere in my mind I was really hoping to see Sable. I was driving and had some nice sightings with elephants and rhino and many other game I arrived at the S36 but…nothing..at all, no game even at the Lugmag dam …all empty , so looking at my watch I realized I had to go back to Satara before closing time.

Then … close to Ximangwaneni waterhole I was just taking care of the bad road , that part was terrible … but a movement at the left took my attention…. I could not believe it… my little voice was right yesssssssss… Sable and where I was hoping for , a sighting with sable at short distance was reality … there they were 14 sable at 10 to 25 meters away. Breathless I was… and was staring at them like a wonder …(it was !!)

Scene description… quiet…no noise at all, no other vehicles around just peace and these Sables …so unbelievable beautiful and believe it or not … my eyes were not really dry … what a sighing and emotion … pounding heart … and then I realized it should be a good idea to pick my camera and capture this very special sighting.

I really love to share the pictures I took with you and maybe best thing to do is enjoy and no much commenst needed I guess.
impression of the grazing Sables… they were very relaxed
-

-
Some more individual portraits of there really beautiful Sable Antelopes

Close up’s of these curious ones

Is this the end of the Sable story ….Noooooooooo… not at all…
I was almost late at the Satara gate but just 2 minutes before closing time I was in, telling my wife what she missed and she was not happy to see what…. She missed.
Well… we continued our trip by going to Mopani (wonderful time…, more stories about that later) and after Mopani we went back for another 5 days in Satara.

Date 28th Oktober 2010.- A day I almost was calling a Rhino day , we saw lots of them in different # combinations , after drinking a coffee we took the S36 again and coming closer to the spot where I saw the Sables I just told Elly that a bit more then a week ago I found the Sable there …not yet finished saying that they were there again like they haven’t moved at all only the situatation was different… dark sky…thunder and lighting and some rain (first raindrops during our trip) The sables were surprised about the thunder and then we could observe their behaviour … all young ones and ladies were laying down , some males were standing as lookouts at different locations.

You can imagine Elly was very exited to see them with her own eyes now and again very close to the road and again no other vehicles around except one car with a caravan later on.
We were looking at each other with a kind of unbelieve … laughing about the fact that we looking at the Sable at almost same spot as a week ago …how is it possible …another wonder ? being very very lucky. I was thinking of some south africans I met during this trip and knowing they haven’t seen sable for years with 2 to 4 visits per year … just couldn’t believe it this was real.

Sure I made pictures again and love to share these with you … so close they were.. less then 10 meters and even with the thunder and lighting they were relaxed and waiting to get up again for grazing …. Enjoy… and look with us what and how we saw them…
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
The young ones and the ladies
-
-
At the look-out males
-
-
-
-
Curious ?
-
-

I hope you liked this story and I must say this was one of the highlights of the trip , the scenery….Sable … and seeing them 2 times.

Till next story

Last edited by Aat on Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Aat and Elly okt/nov 2010 Story 5 (at page 9 - update 26/11)
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:48 pm 

I just finished writing and posting this story and you said congratulations ... did not have a clue where you were talking about ,but just see and realizes that THE TUSKERS won !!!!
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS .... this makes me so happy , my BIG Tusker friends won the special award .... Thanks all who support me and also congratulations for all these people because you won too !!
I am bit speachless ...can't believe it , a very very very special moment

anne-marie wrote:
Aat... before I read your Story 5..... congratulations and again a big thanks :clap:

Last edited by Aat on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Aat & Elly TR 2010 Story 6 (by Humbi) -page 10 - update 2/12
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:44 am 

6th story of our trip oktober 8th till november 4th

Story 06 – A Tusker’s day

Oktober 24th 2010

This is the story of a big tusker, living in the Mopani area…….. about himself, a very hot day, his friends and buffalo’s
Hello….rumble….. My name is Marhumbini, my friends call me Humbi.

I am an elephant bull and because I have a big and heavy tusk “they” call me a Big Tusker.
My age? I am somewhere between 45 and 50 winters old. Many years ago I lost my left tusk. I also had a bad experience when, also several years ago I was drinking in the river and one of these ugly mean crocodiles tried to get my trunk. You can see the injuries at the lower part of my trunk. I am having a good life , spending most of my time around this beautiful place around Mopani , that’s why they call it Mooiplaas (=beautiful place).
Close to the Marula trees, water and near the waterholes there are always friends around to drink together.
Funny that in the early days when I was young all these people ignored me and were only looking for cats and other “special” animals… they did not stop for me to use these funny little things to click on… Nowadays many more do stop and also “click” me and even ask me to show my big tusk.

This is a picture of me taken by someone who was even talking to me and called me “friend” and Marhumbini , how does he know my name ??? :hmz: :hmz:
-
-
this is me when I was a baby, more then 45 years ago. I was together with my mother , what a great time with the whole family. Always lots of aunts, sisters, brothers and other family members around. I still can cry thinking about the day that I had to leave the family spending the rest of my life alone. :cry: :cry:
-
-
Well, I like to take you with me to a day in my life so you can get a glimpse of how I live.

Some time ago it was again very very hot and I was just getting close to a waterhole (special for elephants) close to Mopani.
-
-
As you can see there were a few herds of elephants around also going for water, some just leaving some others just arriving.
-
-
One of my youger friends is also coming …nice , drinking together and having a little conversation together.
-
-
-
-
Just before I got here a big herd of Buffalo also arrived , but they have their own waterhole, so they don not disturb me. They are also members of something called as big 5 …mmmm they are always dirty, they stink and big? :lol: :lol:
-
-
-
It is getting busy now… some family arrived with lots of young ones ..and yes there are some of my children amongst them… I might be a lonely tusker but I know how to approach the ladies :wink: :wink:
-
-
Rumbleeeeeeeeeeee…The Buffalo’s are getting to close I will teach them a little lesson together with some young bulls we charge the buffalo’s and funnn… they walk !! :) :)
-
-
-
Sometimes even Tuskers like me are laughing looking at the behaviour of the little ones , too big for baby and too small for being an adult…. have a look at them…rumbleeeee..rumbleeee :lol: :lol:
-
He looked at me how to drink water…smells it but can’t get through the concrete rumbleeee…
-
-
Very disappointed and sad he walks away… no water for him
-
-
This is my son Marhumbini jr, like me he is a smart one , I am really proud of him , not big enough but using the stone to get a bit higher and so he is able to have a drink.
-
-
Some buffalo came closer again… see how small they are compared to me…rumbleeee… don’t get closer guys or
-
-
again some members of my “family” tried to get the buffalo away but it was too hot to really charge them and the buffalo’s didn’t like to move eather…so better this way…calme and peacefull… I am used to live together with them.
-
-
As big tusker and being alone often it is really a nice moment to be together with “family” , standing here as proud father with one of my children … so nice , just a moment of peace and enjoying every second…
-
-
So… a last drink…
-
-
and yes.. time to move again.. think I will go to Mooiplaas windmill waterhole …
Not easy with all those lazy buffalo’s around… they do respect me so no problem
-
-
-

I heard that I am famous now, being on the world wide web (whatever it is).
I forgot to say that my name refers to a little river near Mopani.
Well… maybe I see you somewhere around… after this nice being together with family and even I liked the buffalo’s around me… makes my lonely life a bit nicer… now I am walking alone again towards Nshawu , Mooiplaas so maybe I see more big tuskers to socialize with…

Thanks for joining me for some time and now you know me I hope
Rumbleeeeeeeee Rumbleeeeeeeee from Humbi

This was story nr 6, hope you liked it and thinking about next story about R…

Last edited by Aat on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Aat & Elly TR 2010 Story 7 (by ARNO..) page 12 update 10/12
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:31 am 

7th story of our trip oktober 8th till november 4th
(Stories are random and not following a day to day trip report)

Story 07 – ARNO’s story
Oktober 22th - 27th 2010

This is the story of a large Antelope Arno, like “Humbi” (from story 6), living in the Mopani area…….. about himself, his brother and family.

Hi visitors ! My name is ARNO

I am a male Roan antelope, living in the beautiful Mopani area in Kruger NP. :D
My family and I are shy and mainly hiding in the ticker bush. If it is hot and we get thirsty we go to waterholes since in the bush there is a lack of water and like you, we need to drink.
Mopani is a wonderful place to live, there are some other (rare) antelopes in the area and like us they are not always visible. I will introduce you to them later in another story. :lol:

For all of you who have never seen me or my family I like to go through the family album we made in oktober/november 2010.
First of all I like to show a picture of me taken by someone who was closeby. My younger brother and I were very curious so we showed ourselves for you.
-
This is me Arno. :)
-
And I am happy to introduce my younger brother Raon
-
-
That morning (23th oktober) we were walking along the S49 when we heard something. First we stopped and looked at a grey “roaring thing” we see sometimes in our area. There was no fear so we moved on grazing while the we heard several “clicks”. :cam: :cam:
Some more pictures of us from that special morning for us and for the people in the car. Mmmm strange species to my opinion…not walking but always in their “roaring things” and certainly not antelopes as we are. :hmz:
-
-
-
-
-
Close up , so you can have a good look at me :)
-
-
Are we always good visible ? No, as I told you before we mainly stay in thicker bush to make it more difficult for the big cats.
So that’s the reason you see us sometimes like this…. We heard these people saw a part of our family 22th oktober this way near the H1-6, south of Mopani heading towards the S48. They told me that they were very happy to see us (boys) next day later and were very pleased to meet me and my brother.
-
-
Time to tell you a bit more about our family … it was the same day 23th oktober in the afternoon. These people were driving to Mooiplaas windmill and saw other members of the family, my uncle with his wifes and children, 10 members in total.
They were at some distance but worth to show them to you.
-
-
-
-
-
A few days later 25th oktober, when we were having a drink we some some family again in the Mooiplaas area.. just a quick view and wave to them… :thumbs_up:
-
-
Then….. 2 days later, 27th oktober I was going for a drink at the Mooiplaas windmill waterhole (another very hot day....) and suddenly … Lions….. :big_eyes: My brother and I saw them just in time so we were hiding. There was a large pride, we counted 2 males and about 8 cubs and lionesses.
(more about them in another story….) :tongue:
-
-
We saw some movements not far from the lions on top of the hill. Shocked…. :shock: :big_eyes: :pray: It was family of us who were in danger….. they were going to the waterhole but maybe they haven’t seen the Lions…ohhhhh my.. :doh:
-
-
Here we are going to our family … I really hope nothing happens to them… As you might know there are not that many Roan’s in the KNP, so every member of our family counts !!
-
-
Sooooooooo happy…. We just got there in time and took them across the road to a safe place. :D
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Well…. Now you met several members of the Roan family 5 different times.
I like to say goodbye for now and hoping to see you somewhere…some day… Mopani is a wonderful place and as you can see there are not just Elephants. :whistle: :whistle:
-
A last greet …. Signed Arno
-
-

This was story nr 7, hope you liked this one and see you next time with a story about … ?

Last edited by Aat on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Aat & Elly TR 2010 Story 8 (by LIONA..) page 13 update 18/1
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:20 pm 

Story 8 of our trip oktober 8th till november 4th

Story 08 – Lions and Buffalo

This story is about Lions and Buffalo, told by LIONA
Oktober 21th 2010

First… We were in Satara camp….3 o’clock afternoon and doubting about yes/no for another drive today…my sixth sense told me yes…so packing drinks and camera and start the engine…. Question…where to go… I said “let’s go to Girivana waterhole and park our car in the shadow and let’s see what’s coming” So we did. First impression…nothing to see but after just a few minutes some movement left of the waterhole at some distance…. Binoculars in our hands and there we saw here LIONA a lioness … from here she takes over since it was her story she likes to share with you…

Hello all, I am Liona , one of the older and experienced lionesses of the pride.
We are together here with 9 of us…some youngsters and my husband. We are hiding in the shadow on this hot day and it is nice the have a waterhole nearby for drinking and who knows even for dinner….
-
This is me and one of the other members of the pride caring about me because I am injured, my left backleg hurts very much so I am limping.
-
-
-
pffffffff…. Finally water , I am thirsty
-
-
After returning to the shadow I looked around , just watching the waterhole and seeing some other animals going to drink some water.
-
A black backed jackal and also a vervet monkey , think they spotted us...
-
and
-
Sometimes some pride members were changing position because of the sun, to find a better cooler spot…. ( don’t know what small animal that is at the left side of the picture)
-
-
Suddenly I heard and smelled something… ahhhhh…. A herd of buffalo was coming to have a drink….
-
-
another member of the pride was coming to me saying “do you see that aunty Liona?”
-
-
The buffalo were looking around and carefull…like we can smell them , they know we are here …. You can see them looking at us…
-
-
-
But….. hahahaha…there is one Dumbo … staying behind …so maybe … ??
-
-
That stupid buffalo thinks he is strong and acts very arrogant… we know how to handle that…smileeeeeeeeeeee…..
-
Just a small chat about how to do this.
-
-
two of us started to approach this Dumbo…
-
-
-
-
-
But….. this Dumbo is not just arrogant he even thinks he can chase us …. That’s not what I thought….ohhhh dear , I can’t do anything with my injury and these younsters are not ready for a buffalo….
-
-
Chasing us…. ????
-
-
-
-
This humiliation was TOO much for me and the pride , so other members six in total started to help the younsters…. That will do… and see…now the buffalo is running (smile…..)
-
-
and now no he is running back to his herd… I must admit , he is not just a dumbo but smart enough to see he could better go …
-
-
Pffff with this heath … and my family decided to cool down with a sundowner … about 17:30 afternoon , time for a drink and motivating each other… the younsters learned a lesson, I think the buffalo did too….
-
-
-
-
-
-
Oh …I almost forgot to show you my husband…. Have to speak a word with about staying away again and leaving us with the buffalo…. Always same story… lazy husband , always thinking about one thing…….
-
-
and that is …. No… I mean FOOD
-
Auwww…my leg… hope it will be over by tomorrow… well, very nice to share this story with you… maybe a glimpse of our life and adventures….
Hope to see you around someday …byeeee

Taking over from Liona… thanks lady , it was a great thing to see you and your family.

We arrived about 15:45 at the Girivana waterhole… spent 1 ½ hour sitting… watching… enjoying… exitement… pounding hearts … We have done this more often and our experience is…. Take your time and you see more then expected… Lions, Buffalo, Black jacked jackal, vervet monkey, Vulture and a little animal I still don’t know what it was… visible on one of the pictures

Hope you liked this story and see you around for next one …

Last edited by Aat on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Aat & Elly TR 2010 Story 9 (by BILL) page 14 update 25/12
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:53 pm 

9th story of our trip oktober 8th till november 4th

Story 09 – Warm Welcome to Kruger (A fairy tale or real ?)

This story is about a Warm Welcome to kruger, told by BILL
Oktober 9 and 10 - 2010

We arrived 8th of oktober 2010 late afternoon in Kruger. First camp was Pretoriuskop.
From here BILL will take you through our first two days and it was a very very warm welcome by the animals…. Did we see the BIG 5 ? read and enjoy ……

Heyyyyyyyyyy I am BILL. My official name is Ground Hornbill. As you can see I am beautiful with my black & red colours… Yes I can fly but love to walk through the bush.
Because I travel all the time from place to place I will guide you through southern part of Kruger together with these two visitors.
-
Introducing myself by a picture so you know who is talking to you. :) :)
-
-
We start this story with going to some different places in the southern part of Kruger. Why telling this story now? Well it is Christmas ….and this looks like a Christmas fairy tale…..
It is 9th of oktober 2010 and the two visitors looked and smiled at me since I was the first one they met and decided to follow them.
-
The first big animal we met was a sleeping giant… a Rhino. He was snorking even it was 9 o’clock… think he had a party last night and trouble to get up. :doh:
-
-
After looking at him for some time I told the visitors (Aat & Elly) to follow me for a nice surprise… to be honest I don’t like this animal too much. For my safety I always keep a distance to cats. This one was also at the same party I think because he was sleeping too. Well, better for me and also for A&E to have a good look at this Leopard. :cam:
-
-
-
-
I noticed the A&E really enjoyed this, heard them saying that they never had seen a Leopard at the first day of a trip… so lots of smiling and blinking eyes there. :) :)
-
The leopard was not really willing to move too much and so I winked to A&E to move on to another place to say hello to the biggest animals in my homeland… the friendly Elephants…
-
Even I like to watch them, particular the little ones who like to play with water and dust… for me sometimes a good thing when it is very dry and they are playing with water. Always some leftovers to have a drink or cleaning my “coat”.
-
and
-
Lovely … then I heard some noice a bit further away and guided my friends to another member of the Big 5 , the buffalo. There are more then 30000 of them in kruger so not a real surprise but always nice to see them… these two were curious and welcomed my friends with nice posing for a photo.
-
-
-
Now they have seen 4 members of the Big 5 so I was thinking how to please them with the last one to see… like the leopard I personally don’t like cats but ok… it is their party so let’s try to do my best….
Going further… we passed some other animals saying hello like the Hippo’s
-
-
and the gentle Giraffes
-
-
and a big babboon, also not really a friend.
-
-
I was still thinking about lions…. And then I found one for my friends… a single lioness. She just woke up (also been to that party?) but lions are mainly sleeping…flat cats hahahaha so normally no problem for me since I sleep at night when they are hunting… It made me very happy to see A&E looking with a kind of unbelieve…. Big 5 at the first day in my Kruger…
-
-
-
Well… let me finish this day , getting sleepy and hungry… so see you tomorrow….
-
Next day …. Oktober 10th 2010…. Second day in Kruger. A&E woke up early like me and I was waiting for them at the gate of the camp. There they are…. With a still a big smile on their faces… They stopped and asked me Bill , how are you today and where are we going to… more friends of you to say hello to ? Mhhh I don’t know , hope to find some for you today let’s go and see if there is someone near the Transport dam…
-
First stop early morning at Transportdam…. But nothing to see …or??? What is moving at the other side of the dam… a Honey Badger ? … my eyes are not that good but my friends took special equipment and were looking… I heard…”Honey Badger” He was at a big distance but my friend Aat took a long “gun” and this was the result…
-
-
-
I must admit , I don’t see honey badgers that often and I am afraid of them so for me a good thing he was at big distance.
-
On our way again… towards the big camp Skukuza elephant…friendly giant saying hello to us
-
-
-
After a nice breakfast at Skukuza I took them to their beloved S36. I like this area too so with a smile we slowly moved on…. Sandy part of the road…going up…down…up…down… up …stop…. What is that on the road ?…. a leopard ? yes… and another one near the road in the grass…. Looking at the faces of A&E I saw unbelieve…. And heard their hearts pounding…
-
-
and near the road
-
-
a closer look
-
Leopards are a bit shy so they moved away fast , but a glimse of this beautiful cat from the side and behind…
-
-
-
-
What a moment.. no other cars around…just a wonderful surprise to see two leopards together… they looked like young adults , maybe two brothers ?
-
On the way back I saw a rhino and winked A&E to look at him… this time not sleeping one but like you see them most of the time….head down and eating…eating….
-
-
-
Like I said yesterday there are many buffalo around and there is always a curious one …like here …who welcomed my friends with a nice pose. Even I have to admit that they are not always covered with mud or very dirty…this one looked ok
-
-
Getting closer to Crocodile Bridge I noticed some cars near the road… By experience I know this happens when there are lions , cheetahs or leopards…. For birds like me … they never really stop…just a quick view and gone… I hear many friends of mine complaining about this and even we were thinking about a strike… are we not special ? I hope they change their minds in the new year and starting to realize that without us there are no cats… Well…A&E and me were having a little chat and made a photo when I was just trying to find something to eat.
-
-
They were friendly for me so let’s go on and see what was hidden near the cars ….
It was a leopard cub , mother wasn’t there but the younster was next to a …ahhhh… a kill.. mmhhh leopard killed one of the Impala’s …sad moment …but happens every day
-
-
-
-
-
-
I heard A&E saying… is this the little cub we saw last trip ?
I must say…I also was looking at this cub and had to smile seeing him/her playing in the tree
-
-
-
-
-
The leopard cub was at a bigger distance , not easy to make photo’s but so lovely and I felt happy for A and E …. It is our duty to please the visitors.
-
My friends in the car had a big big smile… so many leopards in two days … so many other friends welcoming them …. Well, it was getting late and I decided to guide them to …?
-
Another bird, no family but talking to me was whispering something in my ears… I smiled and used my wings to say to A and to follow me…. They were looking at the clock and decided to do what I asked… just before Crocodile Bridge I was flying towards the S25 and after a few km left to the Hippo-pool…. After a few hundred meters I stopped and said…look at the right side…. Lions…so I decided to fly to a tree to watch it from there….
I counted 8 lions, lionesses and cubs and youngsters
-
-
-
At this time , around 17:00 – 18:00 they wake up…stretch… socialize…and it looks like they had dinner not long ago…
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
And here mother and child together
-
-

Thanks BILL for a really amazing first two days…. Thanks to show so many of your friends and guiding us to 2 times the Big 5 in our first two days in Kruger. Unique for us, knowing that finding or watching leopards is not a common thing and now 4 leopards in two days….
Tomorrow we travel to Tembe EP and in 3 days we will be back for more Kruger…

As I said before…. I think this fits like a Christmas Fairy Tale so kept this one for today.
Merry X-Mas

Aat and Elly

Till next story….

Last edited by Aat on Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:08 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Post subject: Aat & Elly TR 2010 Story 10 -Cheetah- page 15 update 01/01/
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:45 pm 

After wishing you all a wondeful and healthy 2011 I like to add this new story

Story 10 of our trip oktober 8th till november 4th

Story 10 – Fighting against time

This story is about: A Cheetah sighting and fighting against time
Oktober 28th - 2010

We have had another very nice day in Kruger and late afternoon we were in Orpen, enjoying a nice ice-cream. Earlier, on the way to Orpen we saw a car near the road and we asked where they were looking at. Answer: We think a cheetah but can also be a leopard. On a big distance there should be something under a tree hidden in the grass/bush.
We could not see anything that time so we moved on to Orpen to buy a few things for dinner (braai). Main reason was that Satara was sold out (again) with different things we needed.

On the way back to Satara , the car was still there. We stopped and asked , any movements?
They answered that they were sure there was a cheetah since he lifted his head once.
Cheetah…. Well, not an animal you daily spot so we parked out car and used our binoculars to see if we also could see something. In oktober the grass has almost the same colour as cheetah so no easy….

Time - 16:48 (closing time Satara 18:00) a first glimpse of the cheetah :) :) :D
-
-
-
-
We got the feeling that on this hot day the cheetah was going to stay where he/she was. You got this feeling like… happy to see a cheetah but at the same time you really hope the cheetah will get up and walk towards you…. :pray: :pray: :pray:

Note**
The other couple started the engine of their car and they waved at us saying “hope you will see them” we are running out of time and they left ….
-
Time – 16:49
-
Yessss… the wildlife gods were listening , the cheetah left his/her position and like he/she heard me… the cheetah was walking towards us. Still far away but maybe…maybe…
-
-
Nooooo Cheetah down again… :doh:
Time: 16:58 Already counting… from there to Satara gate how long does it take… I bet many of you recognize these feelings / thoughts

But then…. Cheetah up and started walking again…and good direction :dance: :dance:
-
-
Huhhhhh not one but two cheetah’s …. Our faces with big big smiles
-
-
-
In the mean time other cars on their way to Satara and to Orpen gate were stopping and a bit of chaos started…. It was getting darker and darker…. Many were looking at the cheetahs and watches at the same time….
-
Time – 17:02
-
We could see that it was a couple. The male was goodlooking and the female was thick, pregnant maybe ? male did not have a big round belly so I could not believe he did not eat and his “wife” did…. That were my thoughts at that moment… :hmz: :hmz:
-
-
In the mean time the male walked more and more towards us ….great…
-
-
The female also got up and walked same direction following her beloved husband…
-
-
-
-
-
The female passed the male and a bit further on she was lying down
-
Time – 17:03 :big_eyes:
-
-
-
-
-
As a good husband the male followed his wife and gave her a lovely hug
-
-
Time – 17:06 Mhhh so lovely and running out of time… question…is a sighting with cheetah a valid excuse to come late ? :rtm: ( I did not know the answer… but did not want to leave too)
-
Mama cheetah was getting curious about all the movements on the road… Where did all these vehicles coming from…and many were fighting with the time … looking at hands saying @8%)Lpp…. Words I cannot write down here but you can imagine … :whistle:
-
Time – 17:08 :twisted:
-
-
-
-
Time – 17:12 (Really getting “narrow” now) and darker and darker…. Had to change my camera settings to 3200 to get some decent pictures…. :cam:
-
The male was at least very very friendly for us…to pose at a spot without leaves/branches etc between him and us….
-
-
-
-
-
I was convinced they would like to cross the road but because it was still too busy with cars they decided to stay that side of the road…
-
Time – 17:16 :evil: :evil:
They were still moving and visible…although it was really getting dark now
-
-
-
-
-
-
The cheetah’s were laying down again so a last glimpse and turning the car to get quickly to Satara camp
-
-

This time no animal around to tell the story… well, it was more a personal thing here ...cheetah, time...feelings...
We had just 2 minutes left when we entered the gate at Satara camp :roll: :roll:

But finally we have seen the cheetah’s and won the fight with the clock….pfffffffff

Then…in Satara we saw the car of the couple that left just before the cheetah’s started to move..
I stopped and went to the shop to search for them… found them and told them what happened. They told me that they believed the closing time was 17:30.... Not to give them a bad feeling but offered them to send the pictures of the cheetah’s there were waiting for. I just found they deserved that because of all the waiting and pointing us to the spot. They received them in the mean time…

What a sighting again and I was so happy for Elly… she adores cheetah and I knew that we would have a great braai and evening …. :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) :wink:

Aat and Elly

Till next story…. about ehhhhhh :tongue:

Last edited by Aat on Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Aat & Elly TR 2010 Story 11 -Tusker Relay- page 17 upd 9/01
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:58 pm 

Story 11 of our trip oktober 8th till november 4th

Story 11 – Tusker Relay

This is the story of tuskers in Kruger. It’s a relay…starting with our friend Humbi (Mopani) and ending with Zambhala (Lower Sabie)
Humbi....please take over from here.... :) :)
Hello again ..Rumbleeee , hope you still know me, my name is Marhumbini, Humbi for friends.

I am an elephant bull and because I have a big and heavy tusk “they” call me a Big Tusker.
My age? I am somewhere between 45 and 50 winters old. Many years ago I lost my left tusk :( . The wounds in my trunk are caused by a crocodile when I was drinking water. I live in the Mopani area close to the Marula trees, water and near the waterholes.
Like many other “lonely” bulls we mainly walk around, eating all the time and sometimes we meet some old friends. This meetings are always suddenly…near a waterhole or when we are taking a nap or when we are eating.

As a reminder, this is me
-
-
Maybe you remember my last words in my first story?
“now I am walking alone again towards Nshawu , Mooiplaas so maybe I see more big tuskers to socialize with…”
-
Well, it is a pleasure to introduce more tuskers in kruger to you. One day I was close to Mooiplaas windmill waterhole and saw one of my friends. His name is Ngodzi. He just recently got his name and he is soooo proud to be on the tusker world wide web. He is telling this to all elephants he meets including the ladies to make more chance to have a good time with them.
Hi Ngodzi how are you doing today… I am just introducing my friends to many people and you are the first one I like to mention. Please introduce yourself…..rumbleeeeeee
-
Hello friends…. I am Ngodzi , just got this nice name. I am younger then Humbi and as you can see I have two tusks, however one has been broken but it is growing again. I am also living in the Mopani area. You like to know how I look ? , here some pictures of me.
-
-
-
-
and a close up when I was almost sleeping
-
-
My name Ngodzi is referring to a little river south of Mopani close to where this I live. How you can recognize me when you are in the area? I have a small v-shaped notch in the upper part and a small hole (center) in my left ear. My right ear is clean. Right tusk more straight, left tusk shorter (been broken). …sad
Thanks for coming along Humbi and see you later ….bye…
-
Rumbleeeeee…. So that is Ngodzi… I walk to another waterhole Tihongonyeni (near the Capricorn Loop) …. It is getting later in the afternoon but I think I see another old friend coming… I am close to the waterhole and after waiting for an hour he is arriving… and he is one of the famous Big Tuskers….called MAC….. Rumbleeeeeee…..Hello MAC… long time no see how are you….and please take over and introduce youself to the audience….
-
Hellooooooooooo….. I am Mac.
-
-
Please to meet you. As you can see I wear a collar. By the way, this is my second collar, got the new one in august 2010 just north of Letaba. “they” darted me so I was sleeping for some time and when I woke up again I had a new collar. I don’t know why , but Aat told me that a research team (Save The Elephants) are tracking me all the time. The first year I covered an area of 4500 square KM. I just love walking. Some months I stay in Timbavati area when I am in my musth cycle…(read…chasing ladies…rumbleeeeeee) :wink: :wink: the other months I walk to Letaba and from there north to Shingwedzi, Mopani and back….
-
This is me about 6 years ago
-
-
Today is a special day…and I am smiling from tusk to tusk….what happened?
I met Aat about 6 years ago and he told me that I was the very first tusker he saw. Because of me he started a project with posting tusker pictures ending up in a special website for the Tuskers of Africa….and now today here near this waterhole we see each other again… I see some tears in Aat’s eyes …think he likes to see me and he is talking to me… Rumbleeeeee I never forget friends so I stay with him for some time…. While he is making new pictures of me.
-
-
-
It’s getting a bit dark so I have to say goodbye to Aat en Humbi…. See you all later.
Ohhh how you can recognize me? I wear a collar, have symmetrical big and thick tusks. I have a wide v-shaped notch (near the center) and a large v-shaped tear (bottom) in my left ear and a wide v-shaped notch in my right ear (top).
-
Tomorrow we continue the Tusker Relay….
-
A new day so we are going to look for more friends…. :) :)
-
I walk to the Nshawu waterholes and area…. And yes there is another old friend , named Nshawani. Good morning friend… please let us know who you are ok?
-
Rumbleeeeeee…I am NSHAWANI. Like Humbi I am also living in the Mopani area but I am not a traveller like Mac. I am glad I do have to wear such an ugly collar. This is me…
-
-
More about me…I am named after the small river south of Mopani (near waterhole Klein Nshawu). I have an almost clean right ear, only a small hole in the lower part of my earlobe, a u-shaped notch in the left ear with a loose piece of skin and just above this notch a smaller v-shaped notch. My left tusk is broken, but my right tusk is long and shaped in a classical way. So if you are in the area you can recognize me. I look a bit like my friend Humbi , both with one right tusk… I am hungry now so see you later all …bye…
-
I was just thinking about another tusker who left Mopani and is living in the Letaba area… so I handover the relay-stick to him. Bye all and enjoy the stories of my friends living south of me.
-
Heyyyy…Mfuleni here … this is me.. 8)
As you can see I also have one tusk, like Humbi and Nshawani. Some time ago when I stayed in Mopani they called us the “3 Tusketiers” rumbleeeee rumbleeeeee… :lol: :lol: :lol:
-
-
A little about me? Rummmmmbleeee… I am named after a small river just south of Letaba.
I have a small hole, a V-shaped notch and at top of the earlobe a loose piece of skin in my right ear and a small notch in my left ear. My right tusk is thick and curved, left tusk broken.
-
-
-
-
-
I am just walking towards Letaba river to have a drink. If we are lucky we might see some more friends near the river….
-
Ahhhh…. You are lucky today, I see 3 tuskers in the riverbed of Letaba….a bit far away but I recognize Ngonyama. To far away to ask him some questions, so I give you some more details about him.
His name means "Lion" in Tsonga language, he has widely splayed tusks. Left tusk slightly longer then the right tusk. A small hole at the lower side of the left ear. Some thickened skin on the upper trunk.
-
-
-
Closer to me I see Nwanedzi together with Hlahleni :dance: :dance:
-
Nwanedzi
-
-
and here Nwanedzi (background) and Hlahleni (foreground) together
-
-
About Nwanedzi: He is named after a small river north of Letaba. In his left ear a notch at the upperside and a small hole in the lower part. Right ear is clean. The left tusk is shorter (has been broken), but shows signs of recovery and further growth. The right tusk shaped in a classical way.
About my other friend Hlahleni: Named after a creek, north-east of Letaba which flows into Mozambique. Both his ears are clean. His left (mastertusk) more bowed and curved then right (slave tusk), very classic shaped tusks, almost equal in length.
-
-
Now moving to the Letaba bridge, just north of Letaba I see Mahlahini walking in the riverbed. Like to say hello to him since I haven’t seen him for some time. :) :)
-
-
-
Info about Mahlahini: His name also refers to a small river in the Letaba area. He has a clean right ear, in the left ear (the lower part) a small notch with a small piece of loose skin. Both tusks are curved.
-
So, thanks for joining me to meet some of the Letaba tuskers in and near the riverbed. I now like to hand over the relay-stick to my southern friends and one of them is Zambhala. We met each other once a long time ago. Bye for now and enjoy the rest of the tusker relay….
-
Rumbleeeeeeeeeeeeee my name is Zambhala :D :) and I live mainly in the Lower Sabie area. I like the sabie river and just today I see my tusker friend Aat arriving in Lower Sabie camp….rumbleeeeeeee I am at the other side of the river but no problem…I will cross it and meet my friend at the other side….rumbleeeeee… here I start crossing the river
-
-
-
almost there …
-
-
Sooooo Rummmmmmbleeeee…..here I am…getting hungry after crossing the river… :popcorn:
-
My name is Zambhala, referring to a waterhole close to Crocodile Bridge. I live in the area between Crocodile Bridge and Tshokwane… love to walk and meet other friends. How you can recognize me? I have a v-shaped notch in my left ear with a small hole just above this notch. A small notch in the right ear (centre). My left tusk is a bit longer then right tusk. It is really great to have this tusker relay… seeing my friends / brothers from the north till here in the southern part of our Kruger country. My friend Aat made this portrait of me so you can see me on the internet now. Just a shame that there is still no Tusker internet café here… :twisted: :twisted:
-
-
I am on my way to Crocodile Bridge. Some hours ago I heard some rumbling of a close friend. Let’s see if I can find him….
-
One day later and I am close to Crocodile Bridge now… and yesss… there is my friend I often meet near the river and the waterholes here…
-
Heyyyyyy Nhlowa , how are you buddy….? I am here together with Aat…you remember him ? He found you years ago and gave you this beautiful name….
-
Thanks Zambhala….yesss I do remember him…sure…with our elephant brains we never forget anything…. It was ehhhh february 2006 I met you first time, second time in 2009 and now oktober 2010… great to see you again. :) :)
-
-
You readers…you like to learn a bit more about me? I am named after the small river/ spruit (near Ntandanyathi waterhole east of S28) in the Lower Sabie area. I have a very small notch in my right ear (centre) and two small notches in my left ear (centre and upper part of the earlobe) My left tusk is longer then right one and curved upwards. The right tusk is more straight.
-
I am going to have a drink now with Zambhala….. this is the end of this Tusker Relay… where you met 11 tuskers from Mopani down till Crocodile Bridge…
Rumbleeeeeeeeeeeeeee…..from us
-

Well…taking over here now… I really hope you liked this story about 11 of the named tuskers in Kruger. I was hoping to see some of them, but could only dream about seeing 11 and some I could not ID so far. The “meeting” with Mac was very very special…Being with him very close near the waterhole was unique. I think it is very difficult to explain the emotion I had , thinking about my first ever sighting with him about 6 years ago. Mac inspired me to do something with the tuskers and some of you know the result …. The tusker site … thanks Mac ! :clap:

This was story 11, hope you liked it.

Till next story about ….. let me think about that… :hmz: :hmz:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next