Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 5 of 7
 [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: KTP / Richtersveld / Augrabies / Mokala - October 2010
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:40 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I am against hotels in KNP

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:29 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:49 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Micetta – i agree the doors are a very good idea. I posted in other thread as i did not think they would read the report. It is amazing what facts i have found while searching – the birds are becoming more and more interesting.

Kamadejo – thanks for the nice comments. The owl was nice to us very close to the road. The kudu was a really nice surprise.

Foxy – thanks and glad you are finding the information on the camps useful

anne Catherine – KTC is a nice camp – just not quite the same. I think looking at the camp there are a few units that cannot really see the waterhole – hope you get a good one. The African hoopoe also one of my favourites.

anne Catherine / anne-marie – i am sure you will have a great trip. We also took 3 bodies 2 x cropped and 1 full frame – regarding the tripod we took a manfrotto with but used it very little. Found the 10-20mm useful for landscape – i would take it if you have space.
anne-marie – 100% those camps get a bit thumbs up.

Pumbaa – thanks and yes KTP was great but the rest of the trip was very interesting yet also very different.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:58 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Sorry forgot to mention in last post that doing these reports does create a problem - it makes me want to be back in the bush.

Guess only one way to resolve this - book in a holiday camp KNP.

Just checked and have manageed to get the following:

18 / 19 / 20 - Shingwedzi

21 - Satara

22 / 23 -Berg - En - Dal

Will have yellow ribbon and hope to see many ribbons and maybe some animals.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:33 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

This is the last of the bonus photos from KTP. Next post we will leave KTP on route to RTP.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:52 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Day 13 – 13th October – Vogelstrausskluft (Namibia) – Continued

We reached Mata Mata at 8.30am and completed the border process, tyre inflation etc by 9am. The cost of the border process was R200. We ran the tyres at about 80% of normal on the NAM dirt roads which worked well.

We would be on gravel road all the way to Keetmanshoop where we would stock up for Richtersveld, refuel and find somewhere for lunch. Once again the GPS came in handy to find somewhere for fuel, food etc. We utilised the Engen one stop for food and fuel and shopped at Spar. We arrived at 12h45pm and departed at 3pm. We were on a tar road for a short distance the first in 11 days and we will not see tar again for another 6 days.

You will see a lot of this:

You may have some serious car trouble!!

We are providing the following information as if you are planning the same trip to get from KTP to RTP in a day’s drive would be quite tuff therefore some place to use as a stopover is required.

We arrived at Vogelstrausskluft at 4.15pm and after checking in were advised that they had forgotten to turn on the boiler. They were very apologetic and said they would give us a chalet if we wanted to shower if the water did not get hot quickly. We settled in to the camp site which was very nice and to our surprise had power. The wind really picked up and as the sun disappeared it got very cold indeed. We then decided to get into the tent and have snacks for dinner and get an early night as tomorrow would be another long day. We sleep well.

Before leaving Vogelstrausskluft let me summarize:
• Good stop over distance if you do not think you can make it from KTP to RTP in one drive
• Nice big camp site with only 4 sites
• Nice shower block
• Cost R240

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:25 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Day 14 – 14th October – De Hoop (Richtersveld)

We got up and made coffee and both went for our last hot showers for the next couple of days. We sat and relaxed and packed slowly as the sun came up. The one back tyre had lost some air so i pumped it up with the air compressor. We hit the road to Rosh Pinah and then onto Richtersveld. On the D463 we saw kudu, ostrich, springbok, Common duiker, Steenbok, goats, cows, sheep, mongoose, klipspringer, zebra, and many birds.

Landscape

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:33 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Friday morning double up!

Day 14 – 14th October – De Hoop (Richtersveld) - Continued

We reached Rosh Pinah at 11h15am and after getting them to check the tyre decided to get it changed as it had a total of 6 holes to many to plug (lucky they had size and brand). After this we filled with fuel (both tanks – 250lt) and got a few things at Spar and takeaway food from Wimpy. We hit the road again towards the border at 12h45pm and got the border crossing completed and reached the pontoon at 1.30pm.

Landscape / Pontoon

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:22 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Day 14 – 14th October – De Hoop (Richtersveld) – Continued

We got across and checked in to Richtersveld by 2h15pm (tyres deflated to 1.5b front and 1.7b rear). We reached Atikas pass at 2h45pm and completed at 3.15pm then arrived at De hoop in the late afternoon.

It must be one of the best views when you turn the corner and see the river. We found a nice place to camp right on the water and built a place for the fire and got ourselves setup for the next 3 nights. It had been a long day and even thou it was not a difficult drive it had required concentration for most of the day therefore i was quite tired.

We decided we would have Boloroni for dinner as it was quick and simple. SO did this while i went for a shower and the shower / kitchen units are much better than i expected. It was nice to be here relaxing on a chair listening to the river and watching the sunset create lovely red colours in the water. We were in bed and fast asleep by 8.30pm.

Check in / Landscape

View from our camp site

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:38 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Kamadejo – we were very surprised that we managed to get a booking at such a late stage considering the holidays. The scenery was amazing.

Foxy – thanks for the nice comments

Pumbaa – agree that is always difficult to decide which photos to include especially when we had fantastic sightings.

anne-marie - thanks for the nice comments

Micetta - thanks for the nice comments

Nkumbe – I am glad you enjoying the TR

anne Catherine - thanks for the nice comments and the camp site was a good stop over.

Arks – as i go through the report you will see you do not need a 4x4. Just sit back and relax and i have a few more nice photos of RTP.

Hippotragus – Hope the posts on RTP help. I agree on Mokala and i will get there on this trip report i promise.

Day 15 – 15th October – De Hoop (Richtersveld)

We got up at 6.15am and used the gas bottle to boil water for the most important thing a cup of coffee then to wash the dishes. Sitting next to the river watching the birds in the early morning sun over the river was relaxing. We have decided that after 2 long driving days we are going to relax and not drive anywhere which suits me just fine.

Setup for next couple of days

Morning view from camp site

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:38 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Day 15 – 15th October – De Hoop (Richtersveld) - Continued

It was time to get the bino’s and bird books out and have some time to try and identify some birds. The vervet monkeys arrived but we are experienced campers so no real issue. SO waited for it to warm up before going to have her cold shower.

Plants / Flowers (ID help on any needed)

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:43 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Plants / Flowers

We decided to have a nice cooked breakfast (brunch) consisting of eggs, pork sausage, bacon, mushrooms and toast. I started the fire at 10h15am and we were finished by 11h45am. There appears to be a permanent breeze which is really welcoming during the heat in the middle of the day and even with the breeze it did get quite hot between 12h30pm and 3h30pm.

After taking a nap i could not resist any longer and went for a swim. The water was fantastic and i felt like a new person – i did not want to get out.

Braai

River

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:10 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

When i eventually got out we took the camera and went for a walk in the late afternoon.

Van

Road

Plants

Landscape

Bird

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:15 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

River

We got back as the sun was disappearing behind the mountain. It creates a strange light it is neither light nor dark it is actually quite difficult to explain. We started the fire as it was ribs and chips for dinner washed down with some wine. We attempted to use the candles but the wind prevented this so we decided not to use the lights but to basically eat in the dark. We completed dinner at 8h30pm and were in bed by 9h15pm.

Braai

Day 16 – 16th October – De Hoop (Richtersveld)

We were up at 5h45am and put the gas on to boil water for the critical cup of coffee with rusks – no better way to start the day. SO boiled some extra water and washed the dishes from last night. While she was doing that i took the camera and attempted to take some photos of birds around camp.

Birds

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:49 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Day 16 – 16th October – De Hoop (Richtersveld) - Continued

We decided that we will go for a drive this morning to get a feel for the Richtersveld and hopefully get some different types of photos with the 10-20mm. We left camp at 8h15am and drove the 7.3km to the junction and took the turn towards Tatasberg. We have no real experience of taking landscape or plants so it was a learning experience.

Plant

Cow

Water on the road

Plant

Landscape with road

Klipspringer

With a thick and dense speckled "salt and pepper" patterned coat of an almost olive shade, Klipspringers blend in well with the kopje (rock outcrops, pronounced "kah-pee") on which they can usually be found. Klipspringers Herbivores are animals that are adapted to eat plants. Herbivore is a form of predation in which an organism consumes principally autotrophs such as plants, algae and photosynthesizing bacteria eating rock plants. They never need to drink, since the Succulent plant, also known as succulents or fat plants are water-retaining plants adapted to arid climate or soil conditions. Succulent plants store water in their leaves, stems, and also in roots. Geophytes that survive unfavourable periods by dying back to underground storage organs such as
they subsist on provide them with enough water. The mating season for Klipspringers is from September through to January. The Gestation is the carrying of an embryo or fetus inside a female viviparous animal. Mammals during pregnancy can have one or more gestations at the same time period is about 214 days. The Klipspringer is known for its remarkable jumping ability and is able to leap to staggering heights of 25 feet, which is about 15 times its own height.

Landscape

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next