Skip to Content

Bateleur Bushveld Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
saraf

Re: Bateleur Bushveld Camp

Unread postby saraf » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:31 am

gwendolen wrote: Will regularly add ice to the bird baths. Might add some to my own come to think of it ....

That's where Bateleur comes into it own, air-con in the bedroom.

gwendolen wrote:We're very much looking forward to see the birds in December. Foeke hopes we will get thunderstorms, he's never experienced an African thunderstorm. (we both love thunderstorms)

Hmm... we were there in 2008/9. Apparently the access road was pretty bad after 3 days of afternoon thunderstorms and they had to rescue a couple of guests. You might get stuck...
:lol:
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

Barcud
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Barcud » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:32 pm

When we were staying in Bateleur in July this year, the Camp Manager was inspecting each building with an official from HQ.
They noted how well the camp was cleaned, the condition of the furniture and fittings, checked if everything was working correctly and made sure that all utensils, kitchen equipment etc. was in place.
They made notes on the condition of the kitchen units and worktops and asked us our views of the camp, facilities and staff.
They were very thorough in what they checked, even moving the fridge to check behind.

I got the impression that they were compiling a list for carrying out maintenance work, so hopefully any repairs that may be required are already in the pipeline to be attended to?

giraffee

Unread postby giraffee » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:47 pm

We recently returned from Swempie. No 7.
The unit has been upgraded and the cupboards sports new doors. We found everything in order with good housekeeping and not one single monkey or baboon in sight, what a rare enjoyment.
Beware of the spider, inside the second bathroom’s shower curtain and
the big scorpion with a bad attitude staying on the left of the chalet where you park.
Take a light at night. Please dont kill them.
Stayed 3 nights, should have been 7.
Lazarus and team - Philip and Michel, thank you for being the perfect hosts.
We will be back, asap.

Annelie.
Of all the things I'd been skeptical about, I didn't feel skeptical about this: the wilderness had a clarity that included me. ~Cheryl Strayed

mvtm

Unread postby mvtm » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:13 pm

I have to get my pictures back. I don't carry currently with me. Here are a very few. I owe you the others. :wink:

Lanzerac

Unread postby Lanzerac » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:07 pm

Bateleur Camp is situated in Woodlands Section and is the only Kruger camp there. Large forests of Mopani, Leadwood and Apple leaf trees with good quality grasses.

To my mind the best section in Kruger and Bateleur is great with only having 7 huts and is far enough away from Shingwedzi crowds to spoil one's photography early in the morning when I took this young Waterbuck

cathyb

Unread postby cathyb » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:11 pm

We spent 4 nights at Bateleur and loved it as always.
The kitchens have been upgraded and Lazarus is very very proud of the new verandah furniture which arrived while we were staying there (unfortunately, the consensus from our group was that it was far less comfortable and took up too much space so we much preferred the old furniture!).
Steven was amazing in organising the TV to be put on in the large screen conference centre for the one cricket mad member of our party - thus enabling her to see Kallis's 200 (finally!).

One drawback - which I suspect is a consequence of the rangers and that the the camp itself can do very little about - is that the majority of the road that you used to be able to use to sit by Rooiborant has been closed off, leaving only a tiny circle, mostly surrounded by quite high bushes.
This isn't adequate for more than 2 cars and gives you a very very limited view of the dam, sunsets etc.
As a result we only drove there once instead of spending much of our time there as we have done in the past - it just wasn't worth it and, may impact on our decisions about whether we will again go to Bateleur or not.

gwendolen
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby gwendolen » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:54 am

Bateleur Bush Camp by gwendolen, on Flickr

Here's a photo of the bird bath at no 6. I don't have any good photos of the bungalow, sorry.

As you can see we didn't have a view to the dam due to the growth of the shrubs and trees. But there wasn't any water in the dam, it was bone dry and had been for many many months.

Poor Lazarus was desperate for some rain. I really hope they got some water after we left. Apparently Bateleur is located in an arid pocket and gets very little rainfall.

Bushmad
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Bushmad » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:52 pm

We would probably book a GC6, of which I gather there are only three, Units 1, 4 and 7.

From reading the thread, 7 seems to be the most popular because it has a view into the veld.

What are number's 4 and 1 like?
Do they have any special features that make them more desirable? For example, especially isolated and cant see neighbours?
Or beautiful shady trees?
How close is number 1 to the hide?
Is it visible from the hide and vice versa?
Also, I see MVM mentioned that they could clearly see unit 6 at night from number 7....how close are the units to each other?

Would also love to hear about your experiences at this camp if they haven't been recorded here... looking forward to your responses...feel like a little kid making these plans....only Kruger can do that.

:D
"Saving face is easy. Just keep the lower half of it tightly closed." Bob Hope.

giraffee

Unread postby giraffee » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:59 pm

Hi Bushmad,
December last year, we couldn’t see the fence from no 7 due to the tall grass and trees.
We preferred it because of the privacy it offers from the people walking along the fence.
And the river was dry.
We never saw another human and all the units were occupied
There’s a bench at the end of the path that’s perfect, at night, to sit and listen.
Yes you can see number six’s side and you’ll be able to see the visitors’ park and getting out of their vehicle if you’re outside but that’s about it.
You cannot see onto the veranda of number 6 from number 7.
We found the units at Bateleur much more private than those at Sirheni.
Hope that helped a bit and that your other questions are answered.
(No2 looked great?
Plan to request unit 2 next time if it’s only SO and me.)
Of all the things I'd been skeptical about, I didn't feel skeptical about this: the wilderness had a clarity that included me. ~Cheryl Strayed

Grantmissy
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:57 pm

Batelueur is a very special Bushveld Camp for us. Due to its size it is very quiet and peaceful. No one has commented for a long time on this Camp. Has anyone stayed there recently - how is the current sightings in that area around the camp?
Everything in moderation, including moderation – Oscar Wilde

Leaping Lizards
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Leaping Lizards » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:59 pm

We stayed there for 1 night in September. A late change from 2 nights in Olifants, we decide to break up our trip and stay in Bateleur.

We loved the camp. In our opinion has the best camp hide in the park. Spent hours sitting on the veranda. Had great sightings at the hide, with 2 waterholes.

Game and sightings on the road in or out was sparse. Only general game, and even that was few and far between.
September - Orpen, Talamati and Satara :P

Grantmissy
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:04 pm

Leaping Lizards wrote:Spent hours sitting on the veranda
:) 8)

Bateleur is a very special Bushveld Camp to us – the atmosphere and the feeling of being away from it all. We also enjoy relaxing on the stoep of one of those cottages. The first cottage at hide is called Bokmakierie if I remember well. We were once entertained by an elephant taking a mud bath from the stoep of that cottage.
Everything in moderation, including moderation – Oscar Wilde

anne catherine

Unread postby anne catherine » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:36 pm

I will stay in Bateleur on the next 28 november,so i will give my three cents here after my return from the park :)

The price for a night is very high,so i reserved only for one night. This year the change euro/rand is very interesting for europeans,so this helps a little.

After i will stay two nights at Sirheni,so i will compare.

Hope the hide at Bateleur will be nice and easely accessible;this was not really the case when we staid in Biyamiti in 2010 in summer,the herbs were so so high we didn't give him a try,too afraid to walk on a snake :(

Seeing these negative advice i was thinking i perharps could change at the last moment my night at Bateleur for a night at Shimuwini,but Shimuwini seems full on the 28.

So i will have to make my personnal idea about Bateleur,but one thing is sure,comparing to other camps,the prices are very high.
I go there for the birds and hope to see a good number in the area

Pumbaa
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Pumbaa » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:45 pm

Anne Catherine,

I am more than sure that the birds will be good to you at Bateleur :dance: as they were to us when we stayed there. Please make your own opinion as this camp is simply amazing.

Maybe compared to other camps the accommodation rate is far higher but the bungalows are huge and you do have a giant verandah and normally not much people around at least when we do stay there so silence and privacy is granted.

Please tell us all about your stay there after you have returned - I will hold my thumbs for some incredible sightings during your whole stay :thumbs_up:

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:16 pm

The thing about the bush camps is that they are all unique. If you go to Bateleur thinking you are going to get Biyamiti in the north then yes, you will be disappointed.

But if you go there expecting Bateleur then that is what you get. It's possible the remotest place I have ever been in Kruger. But the remoteness, the peace and quiet and the bird life are all amazing.

I can't comment on the upkeep as I haven't been there for a few years, but when we went the staff were fabulous and the units, while old, where clean and well maintained.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”