View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Balule Satellite Camp
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:16 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Raasblaar wrote:
Balue :mrgreen:

I've been wanting to book at Balule for the past 3/4 years now, but have always changed my mind at the last second...

Not because of the lack of electricity or the 'rustic' nature of the camp. NO, because of the thought of getting up at 3am to use the facilities :big_eyes: ( Really don't like those rustling bushes in the dark night. :shock: I am as sissy , I know, but since I'm a girl, I think it's allowed)

But finally biting the bullet (might need to swing by Nelspruit Hospital on my way to the camp for catheter insertion) and so excited!

Reading the posts on the forum and simply can't wait. 2 Questions for you experienced Balulites:

1. Does the huts have the standard KNP braais outside/in front of them or are they limited to the camping area?

2. Does the huts have the standard table and 3 chairs or do I need to pack my own?

Only 10 months to go!!

I hope this picture(s) from 2005 will help a little bit.

BTW, i know this problem, going in the night to the ablutions. I took an empty 5 litre bottle with me in the hut. And every morning, i forgot to bring it to the ablutions. But no problem, the excellent staff cleaned every day the bottle. :clap:

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:28 pm 

Balule was our favourite camp! We wished that there had been availability to stay more than 4 nights. We even contemplated not leaving and seeing how long it took for our jobs to find us again LOL

We camped and had the most awesome time.

With regards to the loo's at night - take a head lamp, or like us plan it for when the moon is almost full. I didn't need a light at all getting to the loo's - but inside is creepy dark! I'd definitely recommend showering in the afternoons!

But what an amazing location! The hippos laughing at us most of the night, the lions in the distance, the hyena not so far away and we even heard the leopard one night! Bliss!!!

Can't wait to go back next year again!

2013: Dates TBC - Three weeks from Durban to Addo, Mountain Zebra, Camdeboo, Karoo, Mokala & Golden Gate.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:54 pm 

The sunrises from the Balule area are spectacular. Taken on the S90 2 kms before Bangu Windmill

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:27 pm 

We've just spent 4 magical nights at Balule (17 - 20 Feb)... The camp lives up to its description as 'rustic' - but thats part of the magic! The Olifants River is very high at the moment, as is the grass, so game viewing is a little restricted. On the other side of the coin, the Park is green, the dams and rivers full, the scenery superb... what more could one want?
Two significant sightings - an African Wild Cat within 100 meters of Balule (late afternoon - kitty walked along the road and flopped down in the grass within 3 meters of the car!). I've been to the Kruger 152 times and this was a first for me! :D
Second - a Woodland Kingfisher catching a bat (just outside the Elephant Hall at Letaba). The bird whacked the bat against a branch for over an hour - trying to tenderise his meal perhaps??
Any gripes about Balule? Not a single one! Any suggestions?? Yep - some screen doors on the bungalows would be great! It's pretty hot (no windows, chicken wired 'gap' below the roofline is the only ventilation) and sleeping with the door open would be (a) cooler and (b) let the night sounds in...
The local Hyena clan visited the fence each night and a Hippo came around to say 'goodbye' to us on our last morning....
Whatever you do, Park Management, please DON'T ever consider 'modernising' Balule....

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:13 pm 

John, you can do night drives from Balule, just don't get caught. :twisted:

Jokes aside, you will be collected and dropped off again at Balule. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:47 pm 

Hi John I once did a walk from Balule and had one of the best game rangers there. You can book for the different activities at Olifants when you are there and they will pick you up at the entrance to Balule at a specific time and drop you back when done, if I remember correctly prices were the same as normal. Hope you enjoy your stay there.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Unread postPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:54 am 

No u don't have to book a stand. Stand no 3 looked like a nice stand lots of shade but I gues it is up to u and it depends where u get a suitble spot. Well to be honest with u the first night I have already decided that I would go back to Balule.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Unread postPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:49 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

If I remember correctly we had stand 6 and it was great. lots of shade and level enough. Only thing was our fence view was slightly obscured.

I will definitely try make it back to Balule sometime, it was really peaceful and tranquil

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:06 am 

I know that this question has been asked before but it has been awhile since being asked.

How is the communial freezer at Balule holding up these days? We are there for 3 days at the end of June and then we are off to other parts of the park for a total of 2 weeks so will will have 2 weeks of frozen meat with us when we check into Balule. Going out of the park to purchase meat is not an option for us either.

thanks

Unread postPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:21 am 

We were there when it was terribly hot and the freezers were battling to be honest. People had filled them trying to get cold water etc and I just do not think the freezers could cope with that and the heat of the day. I assume that at the end of June the weather will be cooler so the freezers will cope better. You might battle for space tho if the camp is very busy.

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:47 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Freezers were perfect for already-frozen food over Easter

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:58 pm 

binkybozo
keep meat frozen,
this is what I will do, it works every time;
vacuum pack each braai or portion. your butcher or supermarket will do this.
Freeze these packs 5-7 days before the trip.
The cooler box must be filed with 50% solid ice. plastic ice cream buckets 2 liter tipe works well and must also put in deep freezer long before trip(clear ice)
just before we left I pack the cooler box only with meat and ice then I sealed it with masking or ducting tape.
the box must be packed in the shade as you drive or put something like a duvet/blanket over it.
open only when taken meat out and seal again.
it will kept your meat frozen for at least 3-4 days .
second cooler are for daily use and keep the other stuff cold, that is also the one with the ice from the camps etc.
ps. if ice start melting let water out only when you take the meat out once a day.

enjoy the best camp :mrgreen:

NO to frackers products

Post subject: Re: Cellphone reception at Balule
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:54 pm 

Hi Lynda

Yes, there is. I am on Vodacom and have had good reception at Balule most of the time. Now and again, it might drop, but on the whole, no probs :thumbs_up:

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:07 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I have a dumb question that I hope the Balule goers can help me with ...
If you stay in Balule without power, then how do you charge your camera's? :hmz:
Also I take my laptop (which has a hopeless battery and needs electricity) to load my pics from my camera on to, so that I free up space for more photies!

How do you Balule goers manage? :lol:

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:28 pm 

I always ensure that all batteries for my camera are fully charged before staying at Balule.

There are power points available in the kitchens and picnic spots at the other camps nearby so you could recharge batteries there while having a leisurely lunch or breakfast.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next