Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 97  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:01 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Ready for the next introduction? Number three in the catfamily is a 8 year-old male, named Rakker (translation: rasqual). Oh if I ever thought better before I named him like that. Came from the animalshelter as a 6 month old kitten, more dead than alive. Broken tail, burned, skin to bone, very ill. The vets told me, if he would make it, he would never grow into a real big cat. How wrong they were! He is a giant as well, and 2 hobby's: misschief and more misschief :roll: Favourite position: laying in your arms, whole day, every day. Favourite sport: jumping from a high position, on his sleeping boss (Nico), who has absolutely no sense of humour on those moments.

Image Rakker, making new plans, for more misschief

The next one is a 7 year old male, called Tobey. He's actually the only one that has no "history" of abuse. He usually behaves like he lost his marbles, so usually we call him "Dopey".
Has very strange habits, pulling himself up at lose cloths, and fall down again, play dead and roll over, always at the wrong side, so he falls down the table again. Going from one room to another, jumping half a meter high as he is passing a threshold, etc. Favourite position: hanging around somebody's neck. Favourite sport and hobby: EATING!!!

Image Tobey between two meals, sleeping infront of a logfire

Have a virtual trip through my work
http://yvonnevandermey.nl

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:11 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Let's get back to the issue, before I get removed again :lol:

Next cat to be introduced! The 5 year old female Pretty Face. When we were visiting the animal shelter, my son Kevin actually felt for her. Again very ill, she seemed not to be mend having a long a happy life. Left in the forest, she was found as a 4 week old kitten, we took her in as a 7 week old. The first week we were running up and down to the vets, and she made it. She's Kevin's second mother, actually she's having more influence on him, than I have :lol: Whenever she thinks he misbehaves, she will hit him (claws in), and she is playing him, so he is her slave :lol: Her shape is square, her favourite hobby's, apart from being held by Kevin, is EATING
Image Face looking cute

Post subject: another one
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:20 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

So here the next family member, number 6 of the cats, with a special story. It is a 5 year old female, called Claire. She was thrown in a plastic bag in the forest, was found and brought to the animal shelter. Than at age of 7 weeks she got a new owner, but was not totally healthy, so she was thrown in the woods again, brought to the shelter again, in a terrible condition. At that time I had some trainings in the animal shelter, and at once she was sitting in front of me, looking up looking very straight in my eyes (and climbed in my heart at the same time, but I was in total deniel). I rushed out, didn´t want to bring in more cats. Few days later I was there again, and she was looking at me again, through the glass wall. Again I turned away, being resonable. That was the 10th of September 2001. As we all know what happend on the 11th of September that year, I was, like everybody, shocked about that. That evening I (together with my family) decided that, against so much bad things happening, something good had to be done. So next morning I went to the shelter and took her out, home. Say yourself, being thrown away once is bad, but go through that twice, is really ugly.
So she came to us, tiny, thin and a severe pneumonia. After long treatment, she recovered, but allways stayed very small. She is a very modest and shy cat, never TAKE attention, but always wait untill she gets some.

Post subject: the last one of the catfamily
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:02 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Last but not least, we proudly present our youngest member of the catfamily, the 2-year old male Smiley. Two year ago, on the road, in the middle of nowhere, I drove passed him because he looked like a piece of waist. He was left, with 6 other kittens (as a later found out), on the moor. He was very skinny, very ill and had a damaged eye. I tried to be resonable and figured that I couldn't save them all, so I decided to bring him to the animalshelter. Than I started to feel guilty!?!, so I got him back from the shelter to our home. We had to fight to keep him alive. I made a picture of him on the first day, which I normally don't do, but I really had my doubts if he would make it.
Image Smiley as we took him home

But he happened to hang to his life, and he has grown into a very special cat. Everybody who watches him, starts to smile, that's how he got his name. He is really my soulmate (without making the other cats less). He seems to have a six sense for humans, not feeling well, and has a number of tricks to lift up your spirit.
Image This is how Smiley looks now, a healthy and happy cat, that refuses to give up his kitten status and priviliges. He even still makes the sound of a young kitten, just to play you :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:18 pm 

I have five cats Sox's, Tiger, Junior, Poppy, Molly & Billie and a cockatille called Rascal.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:37 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Since a bit a data got lost last week, and all the dogs were gone, before I get to the last two ones, I will put back the rest, otherwise the others get jalous.

The oldest one is Bloodhound Jesse, almost 9 years old male, and a bit shortminded (to put it nicely). He doesn't bark, but haules like a wolf, and now all of the dogs do.
Image Jesse
(this is the dog that Bert feld related to :lol: )

The second one is 8 year old German Shepard Nicky (named after Nico). He came to us, because after sometrouble with skinheads, Nico feld it would be better to have a brave dog that could watch over me, since the rest of them were cookies. Well, Nicky turned out to be....a cookie as well. But in all fairness, he nows what to do, if there is trouble. He is a huge and very courages dog. And a cookie :lol:
Image Nicky taking care of smiley, when he was very ill

Number three is a 5 year old male, mix of Dutch sheepdog and Tibetan terrier. Always happy and ready to play. He makes his own rules, and has an identityproblem. He is the smallest, but he still feels like he is a Dane.

Number four is the baby of the family, 1,5 year old mix of German and Dutch Sheparddog, Jock of the Forest. He was born in a puppy factory, was sold with 6 weeks, got Parvo 1 week later, spend 3 weeks in the vetspractice, and survived. His owner refused to feed him as he should, and a few weeks later he wanted Jock to be put down. The vet refused, took over ownership, and looked for a new boss. I came in that morning, and almost broke my neck over Jock, and he came home with me. We had a rough time with him, to get and keep him healthy, but now he is a bundel of bones and muscles. Always happy, playfull, and looking for misschief. Loves to run and seek for his ball in sock, and dig holes in the snow. But the best he loves to come with me, when I go out to make pics. Than he behaves like a champ, and watches over me very carefully.
Image Jock as he was still not to well, but already enjoyed his life

Image Jock, as he was with me in the woods, keeping a close watch on the surroundings

Image Jock as he had dug a tunnel through the snow again.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:53 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Image my gentle giants :lol:

Time to introduce the last two canines, the 7 year old female Nakiya Nirwana, and the 5 year old male Quay Blue Angel, both blue Great Danes. Nakiya came to us "by accident". Her breeder was my best friend, and in that time I was the midwife, so I actually helped both Nakiya and Quay into this world. In fact, nobody wanted to have Nakiy, because she was too ugly (don't tell her if you ever meet her :!: ) And she stole my heart, so ..... I never ever regretted that a single second. She is the sunshine in the house. And maybe you think I am crazy, but she can bark, and you will hear "mama"
She really is our friend, sticks her nose in everybodies busness, and is without any doubt, the alpha dog, has no fear at all. She is 90 cm high to the shoulder, a true giant.
Image Nakiya Nirwana, enjoying her life

Quay is very different, he is always modest, very civilized. He should actually wear a tie, a true gentleman, apart from the fact that he likes to nibble on people he loves :roll: which is not a real treat, he is 96 cm high to the shoulder, weighs far over 80 kg.The moment he was born, I just knew he was my boy, and I was right. Also a true friend.
Image Quay Blue Angel

I use to take the Danes with me, going out for pics, before Jock was ready to do that, but it was no fun at all. They lose their patience very soon, and start to convince me to stop. The last pic is clear evidence of that. I was looking a long time for a special todstool, and finally I found one. I made one pic, moved a bit to get better light, layed flat on my belly in the mud, and as I pushed the button, Quay put his big foot right on top of it, the same moment I took the pic. A quite unique moment, but we had quite a discussion at that time

Image Quay destroying my target

So this was the whole cat and canine family. Maybe you understand that at the end of the day, I sometimes feel like I fed the 5000 :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Yvonne, at your request, Jessie the German Shepard cross Spaniel water loving dog in the pool :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:33 pm 

Hello everyone!

We have a German Shepard and a Border Collie. They also LOVE swimming. It's become so bad that we can't use the word 'beach' anymore - we actually have to spell it out, otherwise the dogs go insane. Oscar -the German Shepard seems to be a budding life saver - every time we go into the pool the poor animal goes dilly trying to haul us out the water by our bathing suits....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:56 pm 

I have three dogs and they are all jack russels. I adore the youngest. She is not yet 2 years old and her name is Coco. She chose me and although I didn't want another dog, I couldn't say no to her. She was very persistent. It was the best thing I have ever done. She is my best friend. She has unique markings on her little face and I think she is most beautiful.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:47 pm 

Here is the pic of Coco. I don't have pictures of the other two.

Last edited by Bothali on Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: My Pets
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:30 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi, I'm a new forumite member. I am Elsa's Daughter-in-law, and Jock's Sister-in-law and also a lover of the Kruger and other game parks. However I don't get to go as often as I would like! We are scheduled for a trip this May/June and can't wait!

I have two miniature Daxies, a boy - Monty (8yrs) and a girl - Sasha (4 yrs). They are my "children" and go pretty much everywhere with us.

Will post a pic as soon as I figure out how to!!!

Last edited by Tawny on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: My Pets
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:39 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
Hello everybody,
I use to have a lot of whippet (5-6) build like cheetah and now a have a cat, who would like to seem a lion ... (que se prend pour un lion)
[img][img]http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/2471/safranetlelionwebcam6sp.jpg[/img][/img]

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We have no pets. We had the most beautifull litlle maltese who died at 19jrs off old age. SO then said never again as this was worse than a family death. After 3jrs we still think of him a lot. His little footprints are cemented in on our staircase at our beach cottage & we have never tiled that step.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:40 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

luislang wrote:
We have no pets. We had the most beautifull litlle maltese who died at 19jrs off old age. SO then said never again as this was worse than a family death. After 3jrs we still think of him a lot. His little footprints are cemented in on our staircase at our beach cottage & we have never tiled that step.

I sympathize with you a lot and I'm sure you both loved this little dog so much but having said that 19yo is a "good" age for a dog that size and sooner or later they will have to go to "doggy's heaven" and we must be prepared for that dreadful day, they don't live forever - it's a fact of life.

Our little female maltese will be 15 this year and thankfully still going strong, although her hearing and eyesight is not what it used to be :

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 97  Next