Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: What are your views on the H9 road (Phalaborwa to Letaba)
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I love November in the KNP...all the small things revealed like termite eruptions and all those that feed on them. So I think this road could offer a lot of the small stuff, for me the ideal way to start off in the park and as mentioned Sable Dam is worth a visit. Also saw a youtube video (or similar) of lions killing a zebra right in the open there. Seems to be a good road for lion and leopard. Have also heard about wild dogs.

Mixed bag for me but my highlights on this road are Cheetah on 2 occasions, Eland on 2 ocassions and 2 Sable at Sable Dam. Sable Dam is a family favourite and we always see elephants and buffs etc on this road.

Definitely do this road considering you are going to Tambotie! My aim when in the park is always to drive different areas just to see different scenery. The animals usually show up as well.

:thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:12 am 

Hi,

We drove from Letaba to Phalaborwa last week and came across a few lions (we spotted 5) which caught a blue wildebeest the previous day. I would take it for the same reasons as Saraf said, but I also agree with wildflowergirl that it can be like a lucky packet.

On the road between Orpen and Satara we saw a leopard as well as LOTS of ellies and buffalo.

Which ever road you take, I hope it will be memorable. :)

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:12 pm 

Hi jeffgordon,

The H9 will always be remembered by my SO and I because on 12th April this year we saw our first pack of wild dogs :dance: . We were departing the park for the airport and at just after 7am a pack of 8 doggies took down an impala at the side of the road. We sat for over 30 mins watching them with only one other car watching. We think the elation carried us all the way to Jo'burg! Nothing is quaranteed on any road but some will stay in the memory forever.
Wishing you good sightings!

Regards,
DASSIEDELIGHT

KNP SEPTEMBER 2014
4/5 B 'n ' Dal
6 Skukuza
7/8 Tamboti
9/10/11 Shimuwini
12/13/14 Shingwedzi
15/16/17/18/19 Letaba

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:16 am 

Just for your interest I drove this road again yesterday. The following were spotted:

Lion- A mating pair.
Elephant- Two separate bulls and a breeding herd.
Buffalo- A few dagga boys.
Hippo- Pod out of the water at Hlanganini dam.
Impala- Various sightings.
Warthog
Giraffe- Huge numbers of them.
Bushbuck- One very good looking male.

I drove straight to Letaba, had a bite to eat and drove back. This was between 11h00 and 15h00 in the heat of the day. One thing to note is that there is a section of about 5Km half way between Phala and Letaba that has burnt on both sides of the road.

Post subject: Re: What are your views on the H9 road (Phalaborwa to Letaba
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:55 pm 

Wow, I am absolutely BLOWN AWAY by all the terrific (and priceless) advice you've all given me.

I was pretty much swung by all the comments to go with the H9, considering:

- A stop at Masorini and Sable Hide will add a touch of colour to the trip
- The visibility of the dry mopani veld could deliver some decent sightings
- A number of you have seen some impressive sightings along the road
- Letaba will make a great tea/brunch spot, before heading slowly down to Olifants (past the spot where the giraffe committed suicide!)
- We'll have plenty of time to explore the H7 when we are at Tamboti
- It allows my brother and parents to see a part of the park that's different from the bushveld etc. further south

Thank you again all you wonderful forumites! Your wealth of knowledge is incredible.

Jeff

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:19 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I love the H9 (just look at my avatar) because it can so frustrating the one day and so rewarding the next day. Have seen a lot over the years, wild dog, lion, leopard, sable etc etc.
Alternatively take the S131 and stop off at the Ngwenyeni waterhole. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:36 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

...and Letaba Camp and the views are amazing. That stretch of River between the camp and the highwater bridge always produces some highlight on a trip. So a bit of extra time and do that road as well. Birds in Letaba are spectacular and then there is the elephant museum etc etc

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:08 pm 

Another thing to take into consideration if you take your brother is to show him as much of the vegetation of the park as POSSIBLE.
Considering that you will stay in Tamboti you only have the one chance to show him the Mopaneveld on the H9, depending on your plans of course.
I've driven this road on Friday morning when coming from Satara after a one-night overstay during surveys. Along the H9 it is very dry but there is enough water to guarantee you good sightings especially along Sable dam and Hlanganini dam.
Plenty impala, elephant and buffalo around the dams at present.
You also have a very good chance of lion around the Olifants and Letaba Rivers at present and from Letaba you should definitely go the S42/44 way since the tar between Letaba and Olifants is dead except next to the Olifants where I did see 4 lionesses and Sharpes grysbok right next to the road.
Even after the first rains the mopaneveld won't thicken that fast it will take about 4-8weeks to get all of their leaves back and for the grass layer to recover.