Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Interbreeding
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:04 pm 
Ok, Here's that article from CUSTOS I promised about 3 years ago! (Better late than never... :redface: )

Hope you can read it!

Will post parents on relevant mammal threads!

(I actually saw the herd in question on the S-90 half way between Gudzane and Mavumbye a year or so before...at first thought just sable, then, wow! my first roan ever! :dance: Could have sworn there was more than 1 roan, though! Will have to check my old map!)

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:41 pm 
Aha! found it, and my old diary! :shock:

30 June 1987 - entry 75: "See a lone Sable bull quite near road on left, Very good sighting. Lots of Zebra further on, interspersed with more sable, some lying down. Suddenly see one looking rather like roan, but dismissed it. Drive a little further, and are amazed to see perfect view of a roan walking towards us with rocking gait! See four more pairs of roan horns lying together in grass on rise, some way away.."

My map lists 8 sable and 5 roan, although the first one I dismissed was probably then the "crossbreed", making 5.5 roan and 7.5 sable!

Even though it was my first Kruger roan, I had studied the animals carefully at the Pta zoo, and slavishly followed photographs.

I'm sure the latter 4 lying down were roan, therefore indicating that it was not just the lone bull in the area! :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:05 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Not Roan or Sable but there is a project going on in KNP read here

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi to all of you !
Natural wild populations of both Sable and Roan are still occurring in Northern Botswana and large parts of Zimbabwe and Zambia, I personally have seen several herds of both on the Chobe River but never have I seen what resembles a crossbreed animal.

I have also red several books written by hunters who crisscrossed this part of the continent, most of them keen naturalists, and never did I come across any reference regarding such crossbreed animals.

I therefore must construe that such crossbreeding NEVER occur in the animal’s natural state – after-all, that is why the distinct species exist in nature.

I do know that genetically it is possible in some cases to crossbreed species. I have also encountered instances in both Kruger and Pilanesberg where solitary animals of these species were running with other mixed specie herds, probably because such animals were kicked out of their owns specie herds which are in any case sparsely spread in the veldt making it difficult for solitary animals to team up with other own specie herds.

Now, imagine the “other” specie females coming in rut and this old kicked out chap is overflowing with sex hormones – something very natural is bound to happen ! [ and suddenly there are very strange looking fawns running on the veldt ! ]

I suppose un-naturally dense populations of both species will also inevitably lead to crossbreeding.

Any professional hunters reading this that can comment on the apparent absence of crossbreeds in and Zimbabwe and Northern Botswana ?

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:30 pm 
Hello, 100ponder!

I think this was a rare once-off, and the offspring was infertile.

Probably won't happen again!

I apologise on behalf of the parents concerned... :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:26 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Interesting :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle