SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Nikon D300s or D90
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi all cammers

I have a Nikon D80 and thinking of getting either the D90 or D300s.I was locked on the D90 and then when I went to the camera store he introduced me to the D300s which I would rather want but is their such a big difference in the 2?And is it worth buying a D300s?Should I even upgrade?

3 Male lions hunting buffalo: The Movie!!!

Post subject: Re: Nikon D300s or D90
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:18 pm 

Hey there b5s,

I'm not sure why you feel you need to upgrade, but if it's to take better advantage of the power of DSLRs then read on.

I just upgraded from a D70 to the D300s, and having played around with the D90 before I can safely say this... Yes!

There's a huge difference. The D300s gives you so much more power at your finger tips but only if you're going to use it beyond the snapshot Auto mode offered by most SLRs.

In fact there is no happy green Auto mode. The closest it has is P(rogramme) mode and the ability to create custom profile settings for your own personalised use.

The D300s is definately a superb camera but will it take better pictures than the D80 or D90, not really (okay maybe a little bit), but it will make taking better pictures easier.

Another good reason you should not go for the D90. It's about to become obsolete and will be replaced by a new model in the next month or two at the next Photokina.

I suggest checking carefully why you want to upgrade and what it is you want from the upgrade and then look at the available models (and maybe wait for the D90 replacement to be announced).

31/12 - 01/01 : KNP - Talamati
02/01 - 05/01 : KNP - Satara

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:18 pm 

B5S, they both seem great very closely matched. Got a D90 and am very happy. Comparasion Chart

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:20 am 

JN, what are you matching on? Saying the two are closely matched is like saying the D90 and D3s are pretty similar.

31/12 - 01/01 : KNP - Talamati
02/01 - 05/01 : KNP - Satara

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:08 am 

I use both bodies and am happy with the photographs taken by both - there is no difference here. The the D90 has a motor so is usable with older lenses that don't have the SWM.

I will, however, be trading my D90 in sometime in the future for one main reason - the mode dial does not lock - this means that a small bump / touch or if you brush the body against something can change the setting - THIS DRIVES ME MAD! I keep the bodies on the passenger seat and shoot with a bean bag and if I set the mode on A (Aperture) and I see a subject I simply reach over grab the body and start shooting - I don't have time to check dials but in about 30% of the time my dial has moved to Shutter, Manual or Program mode and I end up with some crazy-looking photos! Wildlife photography is about technique and speed - animals don't often give us a second chance to photograph them so I need my setting to remain stable - the D300S has a lock on the dials.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:10 am 

That drives me crazy with my D70s too Fazekma. :lol: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:13 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks guys.I tested the D300s in the camera store and it just feels right feels like I have power in my hands.The guys in the store went into dpreview and compared all 3 D80 D90 D300s and the D80 and D300s got a 4½star and the D90 4 stars why I dont know.I know about the new D90 my friend works for Nikon.Maybe I should hold onto my D80 for a while?I know I wont get better pics thats not why I want to upgrade.

3 Male lions hunting buffalo: The Movie!!!

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The big difference is the number of shots per second 4 on the D90 against 7.5 in the D300s if you want to do birds in flight or action shots the D300s is the one to get.