Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

My spell is broken on that rd - had long spell of not seeing stuff, but with time, have gathered lions, cheetah,a nd a leopard up to now on that rd. Just keep driving it..will produce.

have faith dear people..

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:23 am 
We've had so many good sightings on this road north and south.
Lions (more than I even can count) even a few times at Leeubron
Leopards including having 2 separate leopard sightings about 3km from each other on the same drive.
Cheetahs on one occasion we had 2 cheetahs entertaining us for about 1‚ 1½ hour. They we casually strolling down the road, rolling around in the sand every now and then, and even made a mock charge to a giraffe
Caracal family with kittens only saw them for a second before they disappeared in the bush have a short video clip of their ears between the grass :(
Other special sightings include: honey badgers, ostriches and rhinos (several on the northern part).
This road is definitely one of our favourites.

Post subject: Re: Timbavati Road
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:49 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

frog wrote:
Should I turn off main orpen/satara road onto the timbavati road all the way to olifants. Is it a productive road or is there a better alternative.

I can't tell you if there is a better alternative but the Timbavati Road was a very productive road for me last month. It had a high concentration of general game (that probably attracts lots of predators that I didn't see) and some wildebeests allowed me to get very close to them. :D

Last edited by Katja on Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:53 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

graemy wrote:
I have not suggested the Timbavati Road, because, although this road is very beautiful, I saw very little wildlife. Maybe I was just unlucky.

:lol:
Well, that's another proof that one has to be at the right place at the right time. One day a road is full of game, and the next day there's nothing. That's why I always hesitate to give advice on "good or bad roads"...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:20 am 

I really enjoy the drive to the Timbavati picnic spot, not because i have seen a lot of game,because I have not seen much besides general game, but i always feel that something magic can happen on this drive. And I always attempt to go on it,but i leave it to my gut feeling when i wake up in the early hours to plan the days travels.ONE DAY!!!!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:50 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Below a photo of the dam take on 31 January 2006. Note the difference in the water level. Also a photo of the Piet Grobler Dam plaque.

Image Image

For those of you that cannot read the inscription on the plaque it read as follow:

Piet Grobler Dam

This structure has been erected in honour of and to commemorate ex-minister of Lands PCW Grobler. Piet Grobler was a great grand nephew of President Paul Kruger and founder of the South African National Park system. He piloted the National Parks Bill through parliament on 31 May 1926 and in doing so established the Kruger National Park.

In later years he was also instrumental in proclaiming the following National Parks: Kalahari Gemsbok National Park – 1931, Addo Elephant National Park – 1931, Bontebok National Park – 1931, Mountain Zebra National Park – 1937

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:53 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This dams original name was Groblershoop, but was changed on request of the Grobler family.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:51 am 

Thanks luislang. My map does not even list a name for this dam. Fortunatly I took a photo of the plaque.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:36 pm 

I have spent 9 days in the park from 04-12 Aug 07. I took the S39 after spending 2 nights at Olifants & I absolutely loved that road ! Its just got a special feeling and the habitat is different from what u will find elsewhere.

At the Piet Grobler Dam I have probably seen my best lion sighting ever. 3 magnificent, fully maned male lions standing on the embankment overlooking the dam. Spent an hour with them & not a single car in all that while. :dance:

Not far from dam +- 400m saw lions at a kill the following day.

All in all in my time must have seen about 50-60 lions & almost all the lions that were seen were never far away from a water source. Handy to keep that in mind when looking for the big cat.

S39 well worth a try... :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:59 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I also like the S39...have almost always seen lions at Ratelpan and this year July saw lions chasing zebra at Roodewal waterhole..very exciting :)

Post subject: S127
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:31 pm 

francoisd wrote:
Drove the S39 for the first time last year!! Enjoyed it. I do not however like the S127 from the tar road (H1-4) that goes towards Timbavati. Shake, rattle and roll but no animals! Must be the worst stretch of road in Kruger.

Hi Francoisd,

Was on S127 in Aug 07,and couldn't disagree more. Managed 2c rhino,elephant,steenbok,ostrich,zebra & the biggest herd of kudu that i've seen in the park.Must have been about 25-30 of them incl. some superb male kudus.

Thats the beauty of the park i suppose :D ,u never know whats around the next corner.

But as far the road goes I agree,its not the best on the park.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:18 pm 

This incident happened on the 2nd of May 2008.
I had driven the S39 from the Timbavati picnic spot north up to the Piet Grobler dam.
Had seen not much up to that point.
At Piet Grobler I met up with a vehicle that had been coming from Roodewal direction to where we met.

On enquiring if anything had been happening further north on the S39 he said "nothing much except that there's a fresh impala carcass just off the road about 9km ahead but no predator in sight".
Hearing this I pushed on in that direction wanting to see for myself.
After some time I got to the spot where 2 other vehicles were stationed.
About 6m off the road lay the impala carcass still 100% intact but no predator in sight.

My initial feeling was that it could have died of natural causes but on closer inspection blood smudges were to be seen in the throat region.
It definitely had been taken out !

I sat for about 15 minutes but no sign of anything.
Being that it was very hot and just about 12h30pm,we'd been driving around since 6am and the kids were getting a bit restless I decided to go back to camp at Satara and return later on.

I duly did return at about 16h30 and not a single car in sight.
More amazing to me was that the entire carcass had been "cleaned to the bone" in the exact spot where it was seen earlier, right in the open with a clear view.
Once again no clue as to what it was that had feasted on the hapless impi.

I feel like kicking myself for NOT staying on a while longer where I could have had a sighting to remember for a lifetime.
Whoever did stay on were treated to a feast.

Post subject: Re: S39 - Timbavati Road
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:43 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I love this road!!! Have had luck seeing Honey Badger just before the Ratelpan turn. Also seen ellie and lion at the same time on the way up to Roodewal. This December we were really lucky though. About 5kms from the Timbavati Road there is a bend in the road; at about 07h35 on 24 December 2009 saw leopard, with only one other car, who drove off before the leopard re-appeared.

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:37 pm 

Its really interesting reading the different views and sightings on this road.
We drove it in 2009 and including seeing a Serval we were entertained from top to bottom, took us hours and hours.
We had all sorts of sightings ranging from birds to various animals, Leopards etc and we declared it an excellent road.
Then this year we did it again with high expectations and found it badly corrugated and hardly saw a thing the whole way to the picnic are despite taking every little loop and side road.
So really, the bottom line is, one never knows what you are going to see from month to month, week to week or even day to day.
But I guess that's what keeps us going back year after year.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:39 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Any reason not to love this road? After s56 it is my second favorite :D 500m from Ratelpan hide (Dec 2009) :thumbs_up: Stalking impala's 5m from the road :cam:

Also, at the corner of the s39 / H7... found the 2 cheetah brothers on 4 separate occasions, as well as 2 big male lions. Nice long quiet route with breathtaking scenery :dance:

Last edited by G@mespotter on Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next