SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Critical Cardiac care in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:07 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Something I love and enjoy is taking my dogs for a walk in the park. It is a small local park where laughter, relaxation and mutual animal madness rules.

It is here where I will often touch base with friends, catch up with news while our dogs do what dogs do best, sniff, sniff, and sniff some more.

On one of my recent trips I saw a familiar walk. It was someone with whom I had shared many moments. We were once neighbours and our sons had been best friends. We shared the drama of having our grass worn down as it served as a cricket pitch for the future Alan Donalds and Mark Bouchers.

When I drew up closer, preparing for another good moment of greeting and laughter.. I grew alarmed :big_eyes: I was confronted by a pale, breathless person struggling to take each step.

She told me that she had recently been discharged from hospital and that she was under investigation for heart failure.

Was this the same person who had been rushing off to play tennis just a few months ago? What silent toxic agent had been playing havoc, breeding mishchief while she went on believing that her life was in order?

We walked to our cars. I had to walk slowly, each step was an effort. She had lost her delightful laughter, her enthusiasm. She was a shadow of her former self.

I have often stated in the past that I see our river systems as the circulatory system of Kruger. They nourish, quench, support and maintain a fragile eco system. They are the artery, the veins, the capilliaries both feeding and taking away.

When rivers die, the earth dies. As I bade "good bye" to my friend, I thought of how vulnerable all life really is... I also thought of the many silent killers, working while we die, bit by bit.

My page is jumping, so just wait and watch this space.

Post subject: Re: Critical Cardiac care in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:10 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Oh MM...such beautiful, but sad words.....and the pictures really fit perfectly!!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:17 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Well now this makes you think a bit doesn't it.
How sad for your acquaintance...I hope there is some assistance for her issues and relief for her.
A well illustrated reminder that we can not take anything for granted and must enjoy each day to the fullest.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:31 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Thank you KFT Hooked and CC, much appreciated.

Some of you might know that I will be running the Skukuza Half Marathon in just over a weeks time.

One of the objectives of the Skukuza marathon club is to use this as a forum to donate towards conservation. Since 1997 they have brought in well over a million rand towards various projects. This year the donation will be going towards riverine research. It will go towards early detection of change in the water systems, changes that can lead to disaster.

A recent example of disaster was the deaths of many crocodiles in the Olifants river.

This innitiative is looking towards prevention, rather than critical care once the damage is done. It is an innitiative that tries to protect the life giving health of Kruger's cardiac system.

My youngest brother died early this year of cardiac problems. He need not have died had he taken heed of early warnings. Once deterioration reaches a certain critical point, there is no redemption, disease and death follow.

I will be running the half Marathon, taking each step for the health of our rivers. I want to preserve this essential life force.

I would like you to join me on this journey. This is an invitation to participate in saving our rivers by sponsoring MM's marathon run. Our very own virtual rangers will take over the administration. This is also about their potential role in Sanparks and the way the forum can become a potent force.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:09 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
MM Where and how do we go about donating!!!!????

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:10 pm 

Sign me up too!!! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:19 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Me too...

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:08 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hugh, CC, KTF Hooked, thank you very, very much :thumbs_up:

This process has been vetoed by our very own Honourary Virual Rangers and they will do the admin. It will also be a bit of a chance to do fund raising for themselves. I will ask one of them to post details.

As you might well know, I have been around the forum for sometime. There have been times when I have wanted to throw my hands in the air and take a long, long sabbatical. I think many of us have such moments. :wink: The reason why I have not, is that on the forum, I feel I can be a potent force for education and conservation. The forum allows me to touch the issues that I love the most and have a voice.

Potent MM

When the chance came up to run the Skukuza half marathon, I contacted the mods to discuss the idea. They vetoed it and will be administering the funds side of things. Whatever is pledged will come under the forum banner.

I have always seen the potential in the forum as a way in which we can make a difference. It has been a place where, despite our differences, there has been nourishment and a common purpose.

A challenge to us as forum members is to make our voices heard as a force that can make a difference. All to often our voices have been negative and carried hidden innuendoes. What we don't realise is that we discount our message. We become a voice of discontent, not hope.

This fund raiser is not only about collecting funds, it is also about making the forum more visable. Its about allowing our light to shine.

Early morning Tambotie.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:26 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:popcorn: :popcorn: :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:28 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Thanks Elzet :thumbs_up:

I have always been interested in "how things interact". It fascinates me that everything in life send of a chain of reactions that are felt in other areas and sometimes years later. My most startling experience of this was with my running. I always relate this experience to ecology.

Many years ago I was training for my second Comrades. I had an opportunity to go to Cape Town, so I entered the Two Oceans marathon as well. I had been ignoring a niggle on the bottom of my foot for sometime, but thought that if I ignored it, it might go away. :roll: Don't we just do that.

It did not. In fact it came back with extended claws to rip into me in the final kilometres of Two Oceans. I felt as though I was running on raw bone.

It looked as though my Comrades would be over before it started. :cry:

In desperation I visited a well known sports clinic in our area. The sports physician looked at my foot and told me that that I needed surgery. He did say that the only hope I had for running Comrades was a cortisone injection into the fascia, but that it was extremely painful and not recommended. MM does not do pain :big_eyes:

I had also made an appointment with a physiotherapist and had considered cancelling, but had forgotten in my panic. Thank goodness I forgot, because it was a visit that changed many aspects of my thinking.

What MM thinks of Physiotherapists.

hang on a second here, my screeen is jumping again and I need to start another thread.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:49 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
New beginning :wink:

I went to the physio, and much to my surprise, she virtualy ignored my foot :huh: she looked at all of the rest of me.

"Did you ever experience a back injury?", she asked.

"Yes, when I was 12 I slipped while ice skating and came down on my lower back".

"Well that's the problem" she explained. "There had been enough damage all those years ago that it had affected bone and muscle development". It had left imbalances that were now showing that my body was under pressure.

What happened then was a journey of discovery.

I never needed an operation and I ran many, many more miles. What this special person did was take me back to the source of my problem and work with the original cause.

How does that tie in with Kruger?

Well our river systems are under threat. Unfortunately the source is out of Sanparks control, injuries and pressure placed on the river from the original birth of the riverine systems. But we cannot give up hope. We need to understand and work with the problem in order to save our rivers and all that rely on it for life.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:33 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

MM true to your form you have started another enthralling thread to once again give us food for thought. Ij ust love the way you connect everything and what a great way to bring about awareness. Count me in. :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:12 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

An elegy of rivers as an elegy of human life ....

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:05 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

MM, you always manage to find some kind of parallelism between humans, their physics and mental attitude, and nature. :clap: :clap:
The mods did not veto, they approved :wink:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:08 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I agree with Micetta :clap: :clap: Great that you found a doctor who could help you without an OP. :thumbs_up:

Kamadejo returns to KNP after 7 years
Balm for the Soul