Skip to Content

African Wild Dog

Find, identify and discuss the animals of all the SANParks

Moderator: RosemaryH

OBIE

Re: Where are the Wild Dogs?

Unread postby OBIE » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:07 pm

Came apon my first wild dogs in kruger on the orpen satara road +- 1 km from Nsemani dam. Counted about 25 dogs. It was awesome. They gave chase and killed a impala in front off us and we were the only people around. What a sighting. And then out of the blue a huge male lion came out of the bush and chased the doggies from theyre supper. Had to leave as we were almost late for the gate closing time. Very sad. Next morning only found impala jaw in road so think the lion won.

My hart belongs to the Kruger.

alf

Re: Where are the Wild Dogs?

Unread postby alf » Tue May 04, 2010 6:24 am

Didn't drive the S3 albasini road but saw 2 wild dogs on the skukuza - kruger gate road.

Made my booking for Desember 2014!! Whoohoo

Amedeus
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: African Wild Dog

Unread postby Amedeus » Wed May 05, 2010 5:13 pm

Saw this pack of about 10 doggies on the Skukuza Malelane road about 3 kilometers away from Skukuza. It was an amazing experience!

Donny

Unread postby Donny » Mon May 10, 2010 9:10 pm

Donny wrote :
Hi Guys,

Got back from the park last weekend this time and was really lucky with the wild dogs. After having seen just a lone wild dog on the LS - Skukuza road back in 2008 this time around I had infinitely more luck.

I got to see on the 26/04/10 on the H7 some 5 km Orpen camp what must have been close to 20 dogs just lying off the road. Difficult to get an accurate count as they were lying around all scattered. Really great to finally see a pack

My luck would continue on the 28/04/10 as three were seen lying under some trees at the intersection of the H12 & H1-2 about 5m from the road.

More was to come the following day at the intersection of the H4-2 & S28 at about 17h15 as 14 doggies were just standing in the road after which they all trotted single file scanning the bush looking for their next meal. A few hunderd metres further 2 straddlers of the same pack were running on the road trying to catch up their mates. My sighting for the day was now 16

My best luck with wild dogs ever !!!

Will try & put up some pics .

As promised here are some of the pics :

This is the pack as seen on the H7, estimated at close to 20.

These doggies were seen at the T of H12 / H1-2.

Bush was quite thick and they were lying down after which one got up and trotted further in the bush.

ANd my last sighting for my April trip was on the H4-2. Really great to see them active and about. Sorry pics are not the best as light was not good and still had a distance to Lower Sabie.

Here they are just standing around and revving one another up for a hunt. Really great to see them interact like this. 14 of them.

They set off on the hunt first spreading out as in the pic after which they took up a single file formation.

Finally 2 straddlers further behind that took the tally to 16.

Image.

Need to get there soon !!!

steamtrainfan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby steamtrainfan » Sat May 15, 2010 9:36 pm

After many trips to KNP my wife and I eventually got our best sighting of Wild Dog. It was on Thursday 13 May at about 08:45 heading north on the H-3 about 1km before Biyamiti Bridge. We followed them until at the bridge - see my report under "Mammals" when they went down to the river. My wife must have taken about 40 pics of these wonderful creatures. It was a pity to see that one of them could not walk on his left front foot. One wonders what will happen to him/her. Anyway - enough chatter. Here are some of the pics. Three have been submitted to the Public Sightings Gallery.
[imghttp://farm2.static.flickr.com/1086/4606958904_0495af84be.jpg][/img]
Faith is the bird that feels the light when the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.

steamtrainfan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: ARE AFRICAN WILD DOG SCARED OF HEIGHTS

Unread postby steamtrainfan » Sun May 16, 2010 7:11 pm

Hi Richprins. Only 4 of the 9 were on the bridge. The one peering over the edge was really jittery. They seemed very unsure of themselves and soon turned back and joined the others on terra firma.
Faith is the bird that feels the light when the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.

BushFairy
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby BushFairy » Sat May 29, 2010 8:01 pm

Seen in the Biyamiti area (can't remember which road) in September :)

As you can see, there were quite a few of them! (this pic was taken first as we were approaching them - we had no idea that they would be so kind as to stick around for a while!!)
Study nature, Love nature, Stay close to nature. It will never fail you!

Spotted Cat
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Spotted Cat » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:56 pm

Great pics everyone :clap:

3 "Painted Dogs" seen on the S25 (Crocodile River Road) on 24 April 2010. We had seen a pack of 22 on the same road during our December visit :dance:
I assume they are part of the same pack that is frequently seen in the area. :hmz:

"Happiness is like jam. You can't spread even a little without getting some on yourself."

adw
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby adw » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:35 pm

Great sighting and pics SC.
Here are 2 photos from my March trip earlier this year. There were 5 dogs in sight on the H3 about 2 km south of Kwaggaspan.

I could not get a photo of all 5 together. This was the best I could do.
Rhino Poaching - Highlight's man's stupidity and greediness.

aussie_dude

Unread postby aussie_dude » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:53 am

Wild Dogs on the 29/06/2010 near Skukuza. They were hunting on the road, there were 5 in the pack. They did manage to catch something but caught something in the bush.

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby onewithnature » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:47 am

Stunning pictures, Aussie_Dude! :clap: :clap: :clap: Love the close ups, but the wide shot shows the exciting activity of them hunting. You're a lucky dude indeed. :wink:
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Imberbe

Re: Wild Dog Den's?

Unread postby Imberbe » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:19 pm

Dogs would typically not only have one den, but will move the pups as soon as parasites get too many in the den, or if it should be discovered by lion. They also do not necessarily return to the same den each year. But they may re use an old den from time to time.
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

aussie_dude

Unread postby aussie_dude » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:12 am

They are one of the best animals ever. The top picture should be a video , if you click on it , it should open to a video

Sprocky

Re: Wild Dog Den's?

Unread postby Sprocky » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:36 am

Okay, no Rhino near them. They were on the move so probably not at the same spot today. I got the dogs yesterday on the H14 between Shikumbu and the turn off to the Ngwenyeni water hole.

El-Bok

Unread postby El-Bok » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:35 am

Has anyone seen wild dogs in Kgalagadi and if so where? I am looking to go there soon and seen that they are on the checklist yet I never thought they were there? i know there was a relocation effort when it was the Kalahari Gemsbok but that failed but any other populations? :pray:
June 2010 Trip Report - Kruger Here We Come

Planned Trip Nov 2010

Return to “Mammals”