Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Life on Earth Threatened
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:47 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

What about the other side of the picture though? There have never been this many people/scientists trying to fix past mistakes - such as the industrial revolution! There are companies who are spending millions on reforestation; new laws in RSA mean that you cannot develop within a certain bufferzone of wetlands or other specialized biomes; thousands of homes are now built with solar geysers and lighting; Switzerland plans to be the first carbon neutral country; Rhodes University plans to be the first carbon neutral university (I am personally involved in this). There are companies such as working for water in SA which are doing wonderful things for climate change in SA - helping local communities deal with changes, removing alien vegetation in SA, etc. There are billions of dollars more spent on science than ever before - science which will contribute to saving the worlds species by identifying which areas need funding and allocating the funds for projects with there areas. I see, everyday, the extent to which people care, how when we call a meeting at rhodes for people who would like to be involved in greening our campus and many people care! So I have faith in humanity, because those involved in healing the earth are passionate people (like the people on this form) who will stop at nothing to do their job!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:55 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for your input BushFairy! :thumbs_up:

A major problem is the use of coal in power stations which spew smoke, carbon dioxide and sulphur dioxide into the atmosphere and warming our planet.

I have read a report that China uses more coal than the US, Europe and Japan combined. In 2006 China has planned to build approximately 500 coal-fired power stations, adding to some 2000.

It is great that small countries like South Africa and Switzerland are doing something about their carbon emissions but something needs to be done about the big boys like China, but I can't see that they will stop using and or building coal power stations in the near future. However, it is also true that in some instances China uses new technology in building less polluting coal power plants, but looking at the number of their coal burning power stations is mind boggling! :shock:

BF, I agree 100% that those involved in healing the earth are passionate people, but how are they or we going to stop a nation like China?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:00 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:clap: :clap: Bush Fairy for seeing the bright sides too.

I do not believe in man as individual, but I do believe in humanity as a whole.

There are even ecological political parties now; often for expediency, but as they are obliged to follow the green politics they have been shouting about, something good comes out of it :wink:

In my region, Tessin in the south of switzerland the local energetic company wanted to participate in a coal mine in Germany. The local parliament approved, but limited the sum of investment. The Green Party collected enoiugh signatures and now the population of Ticino is going to have the final word. We have this wonderful institution called "direct democracy" :dance: :dance: If the "NO" wins, also all other existing participations in coal mines must cease.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:09 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

@Theuns
Quote:
but how are they or we going to stop a nation like China?
At the moment the chinese must see the light, which is not very likely.

First step: The chinese yuan must be revaluated.
Second: Finding chinas week spots.
Third: Do a bit of black mailing :wink:
We cannot use the same methods as with Iran. Because we need China more than they need us.... and they own a third of the US public debt :roll:

A loooong way to go yet.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

What a wonderful system Micetta! - and what a lovely country you live in! Theuns you are spot on with the larger countries being the problem - but also that things in these countries are thankfully starting to get better. Another wonderful thing which will be implemented soon is carbon trading - this will encourage people to reforest and encourage companies to use less energy and have fewer emissions - I believe that this will be a huge turning point for the attitudes of people across the world! Another positive is that scientists are coming up with new energy sources such as all the wind turbines in Europe - France is setting up two sets of wind turbines outside Grahamstown which will make the town independent of coal sourced energy! I hope that small countries like Switzerland, Denmark, South Africa, etc. will inspire the rest of the world... But as I said I want to make a difference in my time on earth, and know many people that feel the same (like the you all), and so I have hope for the future of our planet, but I am an eternal optimist ;)

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:09 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Micetta and BushFairy, our planet needs people like the 2 of you, I like your positive spirit and optimism, keep it up!! :clap: :clap: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:13 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Some great viewpoints coming through here! No doubt there are others with other facets we haven't even considered yet. Thanks mites, so far, for a wonderfully interesting discussion! :dance: :dance:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:57 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

OWN, great thread! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:07 pm 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Thanks Theuns. :D

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We often hear mining companies talking about how they plan to restore areas once covered by pristine forest, fynbos, etc once they have finished their activities. Do not believe it. It is impossible to truly restore an area once it has been subjected to such destructive activities as mining. Here is why: the biodiversity of some places can be so high that within an area not even as large as a tennis court one may find genetic strains of certain species which are totally unique to that small area. These strains cannot be replicated merely be re-introduced organisms of the same species because while the re-introduced individuals may be members of the same species that once occurred there they are from a different gene pool. The differences between them may be so insignificant that they are only identifiable through a microscope.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Listen, gene pools need refreshing. In zoological terms anyway. So, I dont think that the introduction of a different gene is going to do the damage. The problem is humans. There are too many. And even when there were fewer(?) the demands were too many. And now, while we talk about wanting to save the planet and the life and so forth, we all make our own dear little contribution to the earth's demise. And we cant help it. And we cant do otherwise. Because every time that you buy a plastic product, you make the contribution. And every time that you flick the light switch on, you make the contribution. And every time you participate in the activity to augment the species, you make the contribution. What's the sweat?