Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Leopardspotter's Sightings : KNP 5 to 14 Jan 2006
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:39 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Kruger Trip 2006 (5th-14th January)

Cape Town-Kimberly-Graskop and eventually entered the through Phalaborwa Gate and headed up to Shingwedzi (stopping at Mopani for a little break). We stayed at Shingwedzi for 3 nights (1 full day).

The bird-life in Shingwedzi was very nice but there wasn’t that much in the way of general game in the area, it was very green and the river was flowing slowly. The next morning (5:00am) we saw two lions (male and Female) with an Impala kill, they crossed the road before we got there and left quite a messy trail of bones along the H1-6 (just before the Red Rocks turn off).

It rained all through the night starting at 7:30pm and ending the next morning, before we left for Letaba. We stay at Letaba for 6 nights, the Letaba River was the highest I have seen it (last year, same time it was just dry, sandy banks with a few puddles of water).

Our hut was next to the restaurant, which was surprisingly quite and peaceful. While having breakfast outside our hut we could look out over the river. There were loads of hippos, crocs, waterbuck and a huge variety of birdlife. It rained again in the evening but the temperature was still warm (normally very cold when it rains in Cape Town). After the rain most of the dirt roads were blocked off, so we had to stick to the tar roads (which was actually very rewarding!).

On our way to Pretoriuskop we saw three young Side Striped Jackals (all three were very young) and three Spotted Hyena’s about 10m from a herd of Impala (again very young and immature). The closer we got to Pretoriuskop the less game we saw (grass is tall during the rainy season). We really enjoyed the beautiful the views and landscape in the area (Mestel Dam and a lovely ride around Shabeni Hill).

Saw lots at Letaba (mainly 25km up the H1-6):

Black Backed Jackal
Nyala
Side Striped Jackal
Small-spotted Genet
Lion (three males)
Eland
Big Herd of buffalo
Elephant
Zebra + Wildebeest
Klipspring
Tsessebe
Spotted Hyena (three occasions)
Giraffe
Kudu

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

No Nico, I didnt take a photo of the B.B Jackal.
But I could easaly identify them because there 'puffy' tail and a continous dark colouring of the lower body.
They ran across the road into open bush so we had a good look at them.

ImageImage

(Before and after pics of the rain at Shingwedzi is under Camps and Roads: Shingwedzi Restcamp)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:59 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Yes, Nico it is Mestel Dam. I saw a few Hippos and 2 White Breasted Cormorants in the dam but not much in the surounding area exept a few Rhino middens and tracks in the road.

@Obelix, the hut number was 32 and 33 is just as good!!
Oh yes, almost forgot! We had a lovley swim in Letaba's new pool

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The rain didnt efect the trip that much, because it mainly fell during the night and it was a nice expeirents (didnt dampen our mood :lol: )

They are still busy building Satara's pool in the "use to be" pic-nic area, and is very close to being complete.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Quote:
Also love your wood hoepoe pic, LS
And also can't see the pic posted below the one of the pool :cry:

It's only a pic of a cute vervet monkey :)
I'll try again:

I really enjoyed geting up early and catching all the nocturnal animals in action and to watch the sunrise (I love Krugers sunsets and sunrise's)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]