Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: A little Thank You note!
Unread postPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:11 am 

This morning while watching 'Pet Rescue' on 'Animal Planet', the following words ran through my mind - ...'we never say thank you'....

Every day there is thousands of human beings out in the world fighting for the right to save our animals, big or small. Some even put their lives in danger... They try to educate us through television, magazines etc. But still we do take it for granted & never fully understand the great lengths they go to give us all this information.

I live in Cape Town, but my heart is in Kruger. Whenever my heart is heavy I read the forums to cheer me up or I look through the photos posted on the 'Public Sightings' board. People give advise, people ask questions and people complain... but never do I see the smallest thank you for all those men and woman who are working hard at keeping all the tourist happy. Some of the workers you meet while staying in Kruger (or any other park), but most you don't even know of because their work is out in the field.

At times I feel that we should stop complaining about tourist behaviour on the forum or stop posting their photo on the 'Gallery of Shame', because the one that should get the message never does. They go away without caring one single bit. There is speeding traps in the park, but yet they still speed, they still litter, they still get out of the car, they still behave like a bunch of baboons... All we end up doing, is working ourselves up and spoiling our day.

We should take matters in our own hands, don't always expect the Park to do everything. If you know you want to travel to the park, make sure you have a bag for all your trash. If you receive a bag at the gate (like we use to), what a bonus. When you see someone miss behave, take the photo for evidence, but drive up to them and educate them without being rude. I personally will feel very embarrassed if a complete stranger reprimanded me.

I get angry when I read stories like the one of late - the Lower Sabie lions that got into the camp, and one had to be shot. I completely understand their reasoning, but what I do not understand is the way the tourist behaved. Once again, an animal had to be shot, because of human beings (the tourists) not thinking futher than what their noses are long.

But to get back to my point - I actually just want to thank all the men and woman behind the scenes who are saving our animals and trying to keep us brats happy... We sometimes forget the fact that we are all human, we all make mistakes, we all have 'off' days, AND we all just want to be noticed for the bit we are doing in this world.

And keep in mind next time... how you would feel having to deal with ungrateful, moaning tourist everyday of your life?

Post subject: Re: A little Thank You note!
Unread postPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:46 am 

Hanlie, I must agree with you and add my thanks to yours, we are never going to get through to the culprits on this forum as they don't read it. We can however thank those who are looking after our parks, and hope it will help them to feel what they are doing is worth all the effort.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:23 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

What you are stating as a fact Vaatjie, is not at all so. Every day on this forum there is somebody saying thank you or in a TR or on the "Compliments & Complaints" thread or in other threads. Maybe you do not know your Forum well enough :wink:

Unread postPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:37 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

hanliemarais and Vaatjie :clap: Thank you too :wink: it is lovely to hear some nice words, where ever they are on the forum :)

Last edited by Dotty on Sun May 09, 2010 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:57 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hanlie :thumbs_up: :clap: ,like you said lets thank the rangers and other SANPARKS people for their hard and unselfish work to keep the the animals and us safe. :clap:
I hear what you say when you say we have to help the people who dont keep by the laws off the reserve,some people will listen and be ok with it and some will be rude and do it again :huh: ,there is just so much we can do ourselfs.

THANK YOU SANPARKS STAFF FOR LOOKING AFTER OUR CHILDRENS FUTURE :clap: :clap: :clap:

KNP: Berg en Dal 7 to 10 August 2015

Unread postPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:28 pm 

I totally agree - there are not enough thank yous!! Especially to the unsung heroes who work so hard behind the scenes and to those who work so hard out in the field, risking their lives protecting and preserving the wonderful SANParks!

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hannelie, thank you - I totally agree with what you have to say. There are also many people who give up their time on a voluntary basis such as EJ and do a wonderful job in the various parks.
Lets not forget the great work the mods are performing on forum in their time, they put up with a lot from various quarters. Thank you mods, you are a great bunch. :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Great post Hanliemarais! :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:02 pm 

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:06 pm 

Yep, thanks a ton Sanparks. 8)