SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:19 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

ImageLarge

The confluence of the Luvuvhu and Limpopo rivers at Crooks Corner, at the spot just before the Luvuvhu enters the Limpopo. This spot seemed to be something of a "hippo spa" ... sorta like a natural jacuzzi. Just look at this hippo's expression ... hippo bliss :lol:

ImageLarge

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Last edited by Elsa on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pics resizing.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:33 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have a burning question:

Before the floods from 2000, there used to be a sign telling guests that they could get out of their vehicles at own risk.
With the floods the sign was washed away ad up to date no sign has been replaced.

I had a heated argument with 4 gentleman on Saturday about this, seeing that they were walking around at Crooks spot, taking photo's.
As far as I know, if there's not notice, it means your'e not allowed out of your vehicle.

The 4 bloke's mitigating evidence was that it used to be a get-out spot, and still is, there just isn't a sign.......
Things got so bad, SO asked me to rather leave the argument, and get out of there

Now, my question is: is this a get-out spot or not?
If it isn't, KNP Management need to urgently put up a notice explaining this, because a lot of people allight from there vehicles at this spot, and I know there is a resident leopard that frequents this spot regularly :shock:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:32 pm 

On my latest map it is marked as a Lookout Point - not a Getout point. So I would say one may not get out there.

We were there about 10 days ago and because we had a ranger with us as we were on the Lebombo Eco Trail, were able to get out and walk around.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:41 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Crook's Corner is a magical place for me, especially driving through the fever tree forest. I was quite sad that i couldn't go back to this place during my trip in June this year!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

amanzi wrote:
Any feedback regarding the "don't get out of your vehicle, the leopard will eat you" sign that needs to be put up at Cooks Corner?

This first shot was taken at about 04h30 on the 1st of November 2007. Forget Leopard, what about Lion - the second shot was taken about about 20 min later. :naughty:
What more do you need to convince anyone not to get out of their vehicles at Crooks Corner
These two crossed from the Zim side. Since we had been watching the sunrise we only caught the tail-enders [and they were moving real fast].

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:55 am 

Wild about cats wrote:
I... We honestly didn't know that we were not allowed. We did learn this rule later on :redface: I suggest a sign be put up saying that tourists may not alight from their vehicles. If we had something like that, far less people would get out, we wouldn't have for example.

Easiest way: If there is no sign stating that you may alight from your vehicle then stay inside your vehicle. The same as with so many other spots in Kruger which looks nice to get out but are not get-out points.

Maybe they should put up a "Get out on own risk" sign there?

Post subject: Re: Rain in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:57 pm 

Ok so here goes posting pics of Crook's Corner!

That's across the Limpopo to Zim

That's looking South towards Mozambique.

I think I might just get the hang of this :)

2013: Dates TBC - Three weeks from Durban to Addo, Mountain Zebra, Camdeboo, Karoo, Mokala & Golden Gate.

Post subject: Re: CROOKS CORNER
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:49 am 

Been there middle July this year and is was flowing strong. Lowveld also getting good rain lately so maybe you will be lucky..

Pic of river running middle July 2010..

Not the best pic but atleast you get the idea :redface:

Been More than 3000+ Days in Kruger and counting!!
Have slept more than 350+ night in Kruger and more coming!!

Post subject: Re: CROOKS CORNER
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Here are the pics i took in June of this year

Post subject: Crooks Corner & Land Mines
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:35 pm 

I'm currently reading Bruce Brydens book, A Game Ranger Remembers.
In it he recounts injuries to elephants caused by mines laid in areas of land in Zimbabwe & Mozambique adjacent to Crooks Corner.
Bryden states that this was about the most upsetting thing he had to deal with as a ranger, which I can only imagine to be too true.
He goes on to say that its still an occasional problem.

The copy of the book I have was printed in 2005 but it gives no indication of when it was originally written and so I was wondering if this horrific problem still occurs today?
I suppose there must be potential, as even if there were efforts to clear the mines it would be next to impossible to guarantee that all had been found.
Has anyone heard anything?

Post subject: Re: Crooks Corner & Land Mines
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:14 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I had a look at my copy (a reprinted 2006 issue) and it seems that the book was actually published in 2005.
If you look at the bibliography, it ranges to books printed in 2003.
I have not heard about any such incidents concerning elephants in South Africa recently, but it may still happen in Mozambique.

1-6 May '13

Last edited by Bushmom on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:57 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I agree that land mines were planted in Mozambique and also in Zimbabwe, however I am quite convinced that they were not planted for injuring game, land mines are laid to injure and kill people and also to destroy equipment, therefore some may have been planted in the roads or routes.

A land mine was detonated by a National Parks Board lorry carrying building rock, on 11 July 1988 along the Baobab Hill easterly firebreak road. The lorry was badly damaged fortunately the three occupants were not injured.

The same afternoon a standard along the Cahora Bassa power line was blown up using mini two limpet mines. In the follow up pursuit a SADF patrol and Parks Board Field Staff, followed the tracks of the responsible insurgents for 60 km to the Gondegonde Koppie east of Shingwedzi where on 14 July 1988 in a fire fight two two of the insurgents were killed, a third was fatally wounded and died soon after crossing the Mozambican border.

On 15 July 1988 the day after the firefight some more tracks were found close to the Shingwedzi Rest Camp, these were followed and two more insurgents were shot and killed.

District Ranger Flip Nel and Ranger Leighton Hare together with their Field Staff played a major role during this operation.

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:20 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Landmines are scattered densily all over the place to disallow any passage over that territory.
Now with the earth moving all the time due to rainfall, treeroots etc it would be a miracle if there aren't any left there.
Luckily it is likely that most went to less dangerous places (to both man and animal) but the danger is still out there.

In Holland quite a few 500-pounders are still being found almost weekly from WW2, eventhough most of those duds were reported when they landed.... And those are big!

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:32 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I have read a very interesting report about elephants that are slowly starting to move back to the once war ravaged Angola, from where they fled from during the civil war.
Scientists were afraid that the elephants were going to be blown up by the thousands of mines still buried there.
However, the elephants that were fitted with collars, stayed well clear of the mine field and the scientists now speculate that elephants can detect mine fields and avoid them.
They have not found a single elephant that was killed by a mine.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:07 pm 
Regarding the landmines in Moz, close to Kruger….if I remember correctly, a lot of de-mining was done before the Limpopo park was created …hope most was removed. :?

The 2000 floods indeed moved a lot of the mines …big problem!
Communities that were use to a certain area being safe from mines are now falling victim to mines. :(
PS: It is also no longer a goods idea to drive off road on floodplains close to big rivers (we once did that and almost wet ourselves when we remember about the mines :shock: ….very carefully followed our own track back :lol: )

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next