Skip to Content

Tripod, Beanbags & Other Rests

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment

Moderator: lion queen

Re: beanbag

Unread postby sean.tucker » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:16 am

I like the solution that Kamadejo uses. Very versatile. Also, the problem with the GorillaPod is that it doesn't work so well with car windows. A solution someone told me about a while ago, but haven't used myself yet, is to cut a strip down the middle of a swimming pool noodle (preferrably a hollow one), and then it'll slip nicely over the top of the car window.

Unread postby fazekma » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:32 pm

There's some advice that may be helpful here: and here: ... icles.html on using beanbags and photographing from a vehicle.

Unread postby gslabbert5119 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:37 am

Quick and dirty beanbag for travel, take ziplock double zipper plastic freezer bag with you and when you get to your destination buy rice. Quart and Gallon ziplock bags work really great, the rice does not get wet and swell and you can throw it all away when you head back to the airport.

Zero space use ...
Choose a wish, find a dream, pick a wishing star:
Let your hopes and spirits soar high and free and far.
Believe in the impossible, then work and try to do

-- For only those who dare to dream can make a dream come true --

Unread postby sammylou » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:12 pm

When we went to the Kruger a few years ago I made myself a beanbag. All I did was take an old pair of trousers (I used a pair my little boy had grown out of), sewed the legs up at the knees and then sewed some velcro along the waistband so it can be opened and closed. Once I got to SA I then simply filled it with rice, put one leg on either side of the car door and rested the camera on the top :lol:

Literally took me 15 minutes - and I'm terrible at sewing!

I could dig it out and take some photos if anyone wants........
Many things that human words have upset, are set at rest again by the silence of animals.

Unread postby sammylou » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:05 pm

Found it! Told you it would be somewhere safe...... was in my spare camera bag under the bed :doh:

You'll have to make do with photos of it on the coal bucket in the front room - the cars in the garage getting new brake pads and even if it wasn't it's really cold outside :lol:

Many things that human words have upset, are set at rest again by the silence of animals.

Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:08 pm

Nice! 8)

If the pockets are still usable you can even put filters or your remote in them.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Canon 100-400mm zoom lens owners

Unread postby garrow » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:17 pm

Hi I have just bought myself a 100-400 canon zoom lens and was browsing through the manual. I see the tripod mounting bracket can be removed. What I would like to know from people who have this lens is if it is better to keep this bracket on and rest this tripod mounting foot on the bean bag or should I remove this tripod bracket and just rest the lens on the bean bag

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Canon 100-400mm zoom lens owners

Unread postby bert » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:19 pm

I keep it, but turn it either to the right or left
So i have a extra resting point on the bean bag

Johan N

Unread postby Johan N » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:57 pm

I added a Panning Plate to the mounting bracket for stability and comfortable lens movement.

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby anne-marie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:15 pm

depend of if you travel... by plane... a little bit heavy.... :| (each gram count)
here, I let it in place... like already said, it's good for stability on the beans bag :D
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

planing KTP janv/fev.2016

Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby RUMURUTI » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:52 am

Hi garrow,

I'm a Nikon man and had the same doubts you had. Carrying around my 80-400 mm became normal routine in KNP and the collar came in real handy.

One of the problems everyone has is how to obtain the extra stability with such a heavy lens and I resolved it my way

A small chunk of compacted foam, this one was used for industrial packaging!, some Velcro tape and I had myself a very light and useful all round support. Worked wonder on anything, including car windows!
"You can leave Africa but Africa never leaves you"
Andy Benaglia

Unread postby Shutterbug » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:05 am

Hi Garrow,
I leave mine at home due to the weight and size of it, I have a camera bag that I use for the park and the bracket wont fit in it, what I have found to be very effective is a couple lengths of pipe insulation that comes split down one side so it fits perfectly on the window, I have found this better than a beanbag because I just leave it on the window all the time and its a great rest.

Kicker Cat

Unread postby Kicker Cat » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:18 pm

Hi Shirl,

For what it's worth the suggestion of the polystyrene tube is good - the cheapest is to buy a pool noodle and cut off what you want.

Antoher suggestion for a bean bag - get yourself a Bank bag - then find a plastic injection moulding company (you'll be amazed at how many there are - seems you live in Margate - there are several in Port Shepston) get about 1 kg of palstic pellets and put in the bag - then sew it closed. I actually first bought a bag of Basmati rice which came with a zip - eventually I threw out the rice and filled with palstic - works great and it doesn't matter if I gets wet. (Pool Noodle cost R19.95 and the plastic pellets R20.00)

Camera Bean Bag

Unread postby reddirt » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:50 pm

Could someone discribe a 'BeanBag' for camera use in a vehicle. Size, use would be helpful. Also is there such a thing as a 'car window tripod'?

Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Camera Bean Bag

Unread postby Dotty » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:54 pm

Hi reddirt have a look here :wink:
KUDU's mean Well done and Thank you

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”