Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 144 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:36 pm 

An idea might be to enquire from the staff at the rental car hire co. as to which malls and stores are likely to be open late on a Sunday.
We have found them to be very friendly folk and usually all live in the area, so very likely will have the best idea and also with directions to get there.

Post subject: Nelspruit locals help needed
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:37 pm 

Hello all you Mpumalanga locals!!!!
Need some help - had gathered all the info I needed, then the system crashed and all was lost... Please give advice on the following:
1.) Directions from Kruger Mpumalanga Airport to shopping centres nearby;
2.) At these shopping centres, is there a Woolworths and/or Pick n Pay;
3.) Are there any butcheries in the area that you could reccommend who would vaccum pack meat for us if we phoned and pre-arranged this - if so, does anyone have numbers for them?
Thanks a ton!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:39 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Kathy if you come into nelspruit from the airport side there is a big shopping centre on your left hand side, therin is all the usual shops but in and around nelspruit you will find all that is needed

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:47 pm 

Location: Swaziland. The smallest country of the S. Hemisphere
Masses of shops in Nelspruit. If you want a Woolies food, then the one at the Crossings Shopping Centre is better than the one at Riverside Mall, which is on the road to Whiteriver, about 3 kms out of Nellies..... the Crossings Shopping Centre is on the main road in from Barberton, and am sure you would have to turn right on that road when you come in from the airport. The Crossings also has a nice Spa or Pick n Pay,not sure now which, also a Mugg and Bean for delicious coffee and food.....
There is also a Value shopping centre just before you reach Riverside mall, which has camping shops and the likes. The only thing I have struggled to find in Nellies is a decent bottle store!!!! Think the Crossings one is the best though :lol:
Butchers that vacuum pack things for you? NOt sure, but have a friend who lives in Nellis staying at the Lodge tonight so will ask him and let you know tomorrow..... (He buys most of his meat here in Swaziland though!!) :lol:

If you want to list your Park Dates in the YR Thread then please PM me.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:29 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Phalaborwa.
The pic n pay is located in a shopping mall , with bottle stores , book stores etc etc , and if i remeber correctly even a sanparks office ! .
I have often gone out to "resupply" when on a lengthy caravan trip in the park , and tend to go to this store.
There is undercover parking available there also .

Never been to the spar so cant comment , although it looks very neat .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:24 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hazyview has two very good shopping sites and very close to each other.
There is the Spar... very crowded, but one of the best ... and there is a good Checkers.
I think it is Checkers, (they change so often) over the road.
We have had really good meat from the Checkers and at a good price.
The Spar has a good bottle store next to it and a lovely fresh produce section (not woolies).
I also visit the local "market" on the same side of the road as Checkers, you cannot miss it.
I buy my nuts and veg and fruit in season there.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Quote:
@ Elsa and LL: Thanks for this info. How far is this shopping centre from Maelane Gate?

The town of Malelane is about 13km from Malelane Gate and the Shopping Centre is a little further down the road, so I'd say maybe between 15-20km, arks. It will really be worth your while though and you will see it easily on your right-hand side coming from the Park, you can't miss it. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:24 pm 

arks wrote:
macho mouse wrote:
Good to know about the Malelane centre. Its close enough to nip out if need be.

Is that closer to a gate than the Hazyview shops? Distance to travel outside the park for a shopping run is also a part of the shopping run equation :D

According to my information Hazyview is 43 kms from Kruger Gate and Malelane 13 kms from Malelane Gate, but it will obviously depend on where you are staying in the park as to what centre is closest in the end.
Altho we were staying a stones throw from Kruger Gate I figured that it was better to be in the park itself most of the time and less "outside" travelling time the better.
We left the park way too late and according to our calculations had to be back in by 4.30pm to make it up to Kruger Gate comfortably by 6.30pm and I promise you I shopped like a wild woman and made it back with 1 minute to spare!!! :shock: :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:58 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Both White river and Hazyview have supermarkets and butcheries. That would be a beter option than Nelspruit as they are on your route (unlike Nelspruit). White river is the beter of the two.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:41 am 

As far as I can find from the website of Pick 'n Pay, their branch in White River, which is the first town that you will pass through from the airport en route to Hazyview, is open to 6.30pm weekdays, 5.00pm Saturdays and 2pm Sundays.
We have shopped here and got everything we needed.
I can't seem to find the Hazyview branch listed but might be because it is still very new! but I should imagine their hours to be much the same.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:50 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

There is a SPAR just, 1 Km, outside the gate, first robots on your left.
And there is an P&P in the local mall, at the second robots, left.
Take the second right, you're now on Palm, and follow this road to the centre of town for the mall on your left side.
Both are reasonable stocked in mine opinion.

Last edited by Cees on Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:30 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Yes, P&P is in the shopping mall and is very well stocked (yummy vetkoek!!). For meat, we've not tried it, but the Laeveld Slaghuis on Palm Avenue was recommended to us by a resident of Phalaborwa.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:51 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

@Peter B.; for some nice meat, in Phalaborwa, I can advice Lood se Slaghuis at the 56 Tambotie Street (home of the "blue bull" steak). 8)
From KNP: take left at second robot, take first left and direct right. Your now on the Wildevy. At the and on your right on the corner of Wildevy and Tambotie is the slaghuis! :lol:
Regards,
Cees

Post subject: Question on shopping
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:47 pm 

This is probably a stupid question, but here goes anyways. Are ice and cool boxes available for purchase at PickNPay/Spar?

We're staying in Nelspruit the day before Kruger, and are staying in Satara our first couple of days in Kruger, so if we purchase meat and other items that need refrigeration, from outside the park, we'll need to keep them cool for awhile before arriving at camp.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:53 pm 

Location: Swaziland. The smallest country of the S. Hemisphere
Cold boxes are certainly available to buy skywalker, (and its not a stupid question at all).
Ice is obtainable in many different places, but most often its garages you find them in.
There are different quality cold boxes, some better than others.
Which gate are you entering the park through?
If its Phabeni or Paul Kruger, maybe you should also stock up on ice in Hazyview at the garage there. (Its the garage just past where you would turn off, but only by a few meters)
Just don't buy chicken, unless its frozen when you buy it, because it will not, I repeat NOT, be OK to eat by the time you get to Satara, even in a cold box, but if its frozen its OK, but eat it first........

Hope this helps.

Edit: Maybe if your stopping in Nelspruit to shop, its a better bet to buy your cold box at Game, (just across from the Spar at the Crossings, or at Riverside Mall) There is a far better choice there.

If you want to list your Park Dates in the YR Thread then please PM me.

Last edited by Jazil on Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next