Skip to Content

Hyaena, Spotted

Find, identify and discuss the animals of all the SANParks

Moderator: RosemaryH

bornfree

Re: Decoding the Hyena's laugh

Unread postby bornfree » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:41 am

Hi - this is very interesting and I will definately listen with more awareness next time I hear them.

Thanks for sharing. :D

Bornfree.
"If I had only one day left in Africa, I would choose to spend it with a pride of lions."
- Gerald Hinde

granjan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Hyaena, Spotted

Unread postby granjan » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:36 pm

I think this might have been this little one's first outing, spotted on the main road just south of Oliphant's bridge last month.

hyena_spot

Unread postby hyena_spot » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:56 pm

oh my, what a prescious little piece of fur!!!
I wish to come across such a beautiful sighting once I'm there in September...

Impisi08

Unread postby Impisi08 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:32 am

Great video, Africawildlife.nl.

H7 - February 2010

africawildlife.nl

Unread postby africawildlife.nl » Wed May 05, 2010 10:21 pm

granjan wrote:I think this might have been this little one's first outing, spotted on the main road just south of Oliphant's bridge last month...

Just south of Olifants? We have seen mating hyena's just south of olifants... Maybe this is the result??? Is it an idea to put the film of the mating hyena's online?
27 april - 2 may 2013: South of Kruger (Marloth Park & Skukuza)
2-6 may: Timbavati GR
8-10 may: Madikwe GR

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)

Unread postby anne-marie » Sat May 08, 2010 6:35 pm

Did you received this message from Gus and Margie Mills ?

Dear Friends
Announcing our book on the Kalahari and its hyaenas. Please circulate it to those who you think might be interested and on the Kalahari Forum.
Gus ands Margie Mills

or would you like I send you the attached pieces ?
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

planing KTP janv/fev.2016

DotDan
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DotDan » Mon May 24, 2010 11:34 am

Actually got me thinking about me previous sightings of Hyena's in the wild.

You won't easily find males and females side by side (unless at a kill etc) but females chase males away quite quickly from a den as they don't really approve of them being there..

I remember this one sighting last year where we came to a sighting of a female lying in the middle of the road with 2-3 pups suckling on her... when a (what I can only imagine) is a male came from the bushes and she was not impressed at all.. chased him around for a couple of metres with his tail between his legs...

Watch the thing go on for a couple of minutes before she relaxed and let him/her stay.. by then the little ones disappeared into the dense bush... manage to get a shot of them standing next to each other... So if my theory is correct, then this probably shows the size difference in males and females.

Rusty Justy
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Location: Sunninghill(JHB), Vaalwater & Beauty(Waterberg), Grahamstown(E.C)

Unread postby Rusty Justy » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:07 pm

The only time I have known for sure that I was looking at two of the opposite sex, was when I witnessed a pair mating in the dry Biyamiti River on the camp road. :D Quite a sighting!
:dance: STIFFNECKS MEMBER :dance:

FGASA LEVEL 1

Malealea

Unread postby Malealea » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:56 pm

@ Ice

to tell the Gender of Hayenas is not that easy toi say. The reason is that females have an Organ which looks like a Penis. Indeed it is not the Penis but another Organmy be Cltors I do not know.in earlier times Hayenas were claimed as Hybrides because f that reason. The best thing you look at the size, the females are much bigger then males. I hope I could help you.
life is Game, you rather play or flee. I chose to play the Game.

NickyG

Unread postby NickyG » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:08 pm

Yeah,quite right..... it is the clitoris which is penile shaped in the female Hyeana. The only way Im aware of to tell them apart, is the tip of both organs. (Male has testes ina scrotal sac, and teh female has a sac although its fat filled).

The tip of teh male is more cube-shaped, and teh female is less so, being half-square to rounded.(blunt).

The scrotum in males is more lobed than the false one females have. I have read of other differences like a sloping belly, but for teh less inexperienced (and completely notice like myself) would be impossible to tell apart. Im just grateful to see one in Addo :)
If you think I am stupid....you should see who hired me......:)

ice

Unread postby ice » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:20 pm

I already knew about the pseudo-penis and hermaphrodite myst but thanks anyway, the latter comments helped me a lot

El-Bok

Unread postby El-Bok » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:19 pm

Some hyena pics I took on this trip

June 2010 Trip Report - Kruger Here We Come

Planned Trip Nov 2010

Massimo

hyena with pup on Phembeni-skukuza road

Unread postby Massimo » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:13 pm

Hi guys i have just returned from the park today (tp coming soon i promise) and i just wanted to let you guys know that there is a hyena with a pup on the phembeni road towards skukuza! It is only found around 3pm, but in the morning it is not there but we looked in the afternoon 3 times and it was there!

If you are entering through the gate and are heading towards skukuza you will come across a 4 way stop +-5km from the gate! You can either head left towards Pretoriuskop, right on the S1 (i think) and straight towards skukuza! Head straight and it is exactly 1.4km from the this 4way stop on your left hand side!

If anyone is there go have a look and let me know if it is still there? Thought id let you guys know as the pup is still completely brown so it cant be that old! Will post pictures asap of them!!
Canon 5D MK III :) :), Canon 7D , Canon 450D | Canon 400 F5.6 L | Canon 70-200 F2.8 L IS|Sigma 10-200 EX DG OS F4-5.6 & goodies :)
Runner up wildlife photographer of the year 2012-sunday times & winner-Canon S.A. reflection category

NickyG

Re: Hyena Scare

Unread postby NickyG » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:47 pm

Hyenas are more successful hunters than lions. I.E. they notch up more kills per 100 attempts.

The hyena may not be as strong as a lion, but they definitly make up in the bold department when it comes to competeing at a kill...even if it is not thiers.

There are a number of incidents recorded, where campers have woken up to find thier ear or nose is being bitten off by hyenas.
Its always a safe bet to keep a fire going, and have a guard watch around teh clock in the dark hours.

They are opportunistic, and will steal kills over active hunting, but bear in mind they hunt very very well.

Golden rule is when you enter a wilderness, you are part of the food chain.
If you think I am stupid....you should see who hired me......:)

Safari Girl

Re: hyena with pup on Phembeni-skukuza road

Unread postby Safari Girl » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:35 am

I saw them both around the 13th of June. The pup was still pitch black and resembled a mongoose more than a hyena. The den is on the right hand side of the road when you are driving from Phabeni. The mother has a large scar on her neck.

Return to “Mammals”