Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Parks Shop
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:08 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

You do realize the concession owners for the shops are paying for conservation? Or are we under the impression that Sanparks are giving the concessions for the stores and the picnic sites away for nothing? If that is the case, I would like a concession for a store in the KNP.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:39 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The concession holder of course pay for the concession :o . But this does not justify the prices they are charging.
Please do not imagine that all funds paid to SANPARKS go towards conservation - a Miss. KRUGER PARK competition was consdered a while ago . . . . . .

What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:15 pm 

TheunsH wrote:
The best place in the Parks Shop at Skukuza is the walk-in fridge where the beer is kept especially if it is 40+ outside!! :thumbs_up: Have you experienced this Arctic feeling as well? :hmz: In summer time I normally check out the beers for at least 5 minutes in there! :lol:

The worst place in the Parks Shop at Skukuza is at the till when you have to pay for this Arctic cooled beer!! :shock:

yeah that fridge is awesome...........

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Whilst the prices for books and gifts / curios are very high, I have never really taken paticular notice of the prices of food being paticularly high. Must admit I only buy the odd thing I have run out of o what I have forgotten to bring from JHB.

I love to play in God's Playground

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:46 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Parks in the States do the same thing -- prices are high! Supply and demand.

You have a mix of people that are mostly a captive audience, that want to buy things in a park, are on vacation and expect to splurge, and some are foreigners that can and will afford to pay more. I was shocked at the costs of junk in the official Grand Canyon shop, or for foodstuffs in Custer State Park, or for lunch at Mt. Rushmore.

I was less shocked at the costs in Kruger (more shocked at the lack of quality...:/), because shoot I just spent thousands of dollars to just get to Kruger in the first place. :) This probably don't help the local South African. But, then again, locals have more opportunity to buy elsewhere. Its a never-ending cycle. :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:15 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I agree with Stark. If you go to any of the tourist places in the UK, and particularly in London, you will pay more than the norm.

Took my kids to one of the museums in town this past weekend and my 4 year old wanted crisps. So I could either go to the museum shop and pay almost double for the crisps. Or I could leave and wander around and look for somewhere cheaper. The saying in Afrikaans "k*k en betaal" comes to mind. :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:53 am 

For gifts have a look at the shop at Phalaborwa gate. If I remember correctly its set up and run by the local community and prices are cheaper than in the shops. I think there is also a similar project at Punda Maria gate as well.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:28 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Having experienced the prices problem as a traveller from Europe and, for the past few years, a local, I can understand completely the problems involved. Locals have the advantage of cool boxes etc whereas the tourist (any foreigner) is limited by weight allowance etc whilst flying. We found the purchase of a polystyrene coolbox for about R40 solved our problem. We bought meat and main groceries outside and only 'topped up' using the park shops.
I agree with Bert in that over the past ten years, especially the last four, prices within the park have rocketed. Also the discrepancy of prices from shop to shop is unacceptable. Unfortunately foreign tourists are targeted and. although the prices may seem acceptable to them, is it morally right to exploit them in this way?

Question: Is Sanparks condoning this practise by saying and doing nothing to prevent it? :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:58 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hehehe I guess its a law of suply and demand.

We have mastered the art of packing what we need outside and REALLY just topping up on drinks etc in the park.

GOLDEN RULE: AVOID AS FAR AS POSSIBLE: Clothing, electrical equipment, batteries, binoculars, cameras & equipment, camping equipment and those types of things because then you will pay... and pay heavy...

The food is expensive but it's not horribly outragous. Perhaps meat may be but we never buy in the park anyway.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:46 pm 

I made the 2 best investments ever and closed my eyes and just paid for what turned out the best 2 things for me in the Park since sliced bread. I bought an ice-maker and a "plug in" coolerbag that uses the cigarette lighter power. If you look at the ammount of ice bought in a week whilst being in the Park, you'll be surprised how much it cost to keep all your goods cold when camping with cooler boxes. The ice maker already paid for itself by the money saved from bying ice the whole time.

The electric cooler bag keeps everything nice and cold (and within reach without having to stop and get it from the boot or back of the bakkie) whilst driving in the Kruger. Nothing more unpleasant than drinks going warm for me. With this cooler bag I can bring all my meat and drinks bought from outside the park and unpack everything in the camp fridge when at your chalet etc.

We have to start reverse the old saying and change it to "if you can't join them, beat them!" I can't afford paying those high prices and I had to beat them at their own game to make it still affordable for me to visit the Kruger frequently.

My 2 cents...

1 Dec: Lower Sabie
2 Dec: Lower Sabie
3 Dec: Malelane
4 Dec: Malelane

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:33 pm 

So, as an overseas visitor, is it sensible to buy a couple of "cheap" cooler boxes outside the park and stock up on meat and drinks? We are going into the park to Skuks for 5 nights in September. What kind of things are practical to buy outside (in Hazyview) for us? We shall be up early and out all day (coffee and snacks/sandwiches). Return to camp for meal in evening (meats, bread, salads and rice/pasta). One evening will be at Selati but the rest should be self catered (braai etc.).

Any advice much appreciated. :thumbs_up:

2009 and 2010 trips are a distant memory but will remain special.

TMNP - Got Married and had the Honeymoon blinkers on!! Too busy for TMNP!!.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:28 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The Park's Shops, is run like any other business. I understand the sentiments regarding high prices, as I live here and I have to pay the high prices for food stuffs on a daily basis. Just my 2 cents worth:
The shops and restaurants in Kruger pay a huge percentage off turnover over to SANParks as their rental. On top off that, housing is provided to each and every staff member, which, is included in their package. Then the normal overheads occurs.
Because of logistics, most of the groceries comes from one mainstream supplier- in Jhb- obviously they are more expensive, because of travelling, etc. Ive said somewhere that its is cheaper to buy ciggies in the local PnP in Hazyview than at the particular wholesaler.
Other wholesalers simply arent interested in the park.
Now add on that there is a captive audience, eg there is a limit on the number of feet passing through.

Now lets make the maths:
Items are bought in at a premium
Rent is high-
Staff accomodations needs to be paid- once again- high.
Electricity needs to be paid- standard at any business, but a premium is put up in the park.
Staff needs to be transported back to their accomodation at closing times- at a cost to the company.

Yes, curious is over priced, but the mark up on food stuffs is in comparrison with other retailers. Sounds redicoulous, but its true.
If you look at the SANParks year end report, and look under PPP, you will find that the park shops has brought in millions over the past year- thats their rent

So its sad on the one side, but good for conservation on the other

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:31 am 

Sanpfan,

Apart from anything else you get a better selection outside the park (although for some reason SO can only find Guinness in the Park...).

We take a cooler bag with us from the UK - it folds down flat inside our luggage. Buy some ice bags with your shopping and fill with the stuff you need to keep cool. It should easily be enough time for you to get your stuff to the fridge in Skukuza.

We tend to bring some stuff with us from the UK - mainly coffee and packets of dried stuff and boil in the bag rice etc for the fussy eater amongst us (SO is a veggie). Snacky stuff is readily available and the meat is like nothing you will taste here in the UK.

The only thing you will struggle with is fresh bread but Skukuza's shop has a better choice than most.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:20 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
We have found the Parks shop in Lower-Sabie during our recent visit to be well stocked, clean and the attendants friendly. The three Parks shops that made an impression on us were the aforementioned, the one in Skukuza and the Letaba shop.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:31 am 

We do exactly the same as saraf when we come over from England. We have 2 freezer bags which we pack into our luggage and fill with those little things that tend to roll around. Once we get to Malelane, its into Spar for the shopping, including some of the cheap freezer blocks, which we tend to leave behind a the end of the holiday. We also tend to leave the park for shopping every 4/5 days or so. This gives us a little break, and since the removal of the decent coffee machines, the chance of a nice cup of Latte

Mike and Trish Goss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next