Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Some of your scary moments in the WILD!!!!
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:17 pm 

While speaking of baboon's.... In tshokwane about 20 years or so ago, I remember our family stopping for brekkies....
At the time they had problems with baboons.
We were just unpacking our brekkies when we were all asked to hurry to the cars, which we did in record time. Next thing a alpha male came out the bush, highly upset. The ranger at the time, to scare the baboon aways, threw his bycicle at the baboon, the baboon simply picked up the bike and flung it way over the rangers head, to which the ranger promptly ran inside!!!!

Also very wary of baboons!!!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:59 pm 

Wow people, that is pretty scary stuff!! Snakes in the pool and baboons jumping on you, geez!!!

Mm, my scariest moments definitely don’t beat yours!! But here goes:

1. When a bat flew into me at Mopani, the echo of my scream was amazing, wonder what the people thought..
2. Walking along the fence at Sirheni, I looked down & my leg literally stopped mid air as I noticed the puff adder waiting in the path way...my next step would have been right on him!
3. Another at Sirheni, my very own stupidity. The guests were all enjoying a beautiful sighting of a huge elephant herd crossing the river right by the camp. I was standing with the video camera & not realising how close I was getting, the camera (or something) touched the electric fence!! All I remember was uttering a very very crude word VERY VERY loudly and being very embarrassed!! It was a very uncomfortable feeling and luckily I was ok. The many surrounding guests were very caring and concerned but I am sure they all had a giggle afterwards. I felt like such an idiot!
4. At Talamati, and this gave me an uncontrollable fear of one of my favourite animals, the elephant. We woke up from a siesta and noticed an ellie grazing a distance or so from the fence. My husband took the video camera to record the beautiful sighting. If I am not mistaken is was a dry river bed. I was standing a distance away but my husband said he noticed the elephant taking in the air, obviously smelling the intruder. With one abrupt change of temperament, it started charging with a thunderous trumpeting, running straight through a tree stump lying in its way!!! I ran as fast as my little legs could carry me and thought that animal was coming straight through that fence! Needless to say, to this day I go into complete panic even when an ellie is as far as 500 metres away which is a real pity. But witnessing such a big animal run THAT fast and changing demeanour so quickly made me realised how unpredictable they are and that I won’t stand a chance!!

║▌│█│║▌║││█║▌│║
© MΛDЄ IИ SOUTH ΛFЯICΛ ®

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:52 am 

And here I thought I was "special"

About four years ago we were in a park bordering the kruger, and went on a morning walk with the guide- a really experienced lovely chap.
We were busy trekking a pair of rhino....
Suddenly this guy stopped us and said that it was a male and female, mating... No problem we thought....

Anyhooooo, he told us to remain still etc etc etc... Then we came across the pair. Now while she was pretty calm, he was very agitated. Then all panic aroze. Rhino came storming through the bush!!!! Our "remain still" guide was running back past us!!!!
So off we went running in all different directions!!! Luckily the rhino decided he had had enough, and we could climb down from which ever branch we were hanging!!!!

It all ended up with the game vehicle collecting us, and most of us having a really stiff whiskey or three at 10:30am

Post subject: Re: What made your hair stand on end?
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:45 pm 

well there were lot of Stories to chill the bones. But that Story was for me amazing because it ends up with a little Injurie by myself.

Anyway It was a Town in Zimbabwe we went to the Resturant, when we went back we saw a crowd of Persons (without a Car ) stand still and do nothing at the railroad crossing. Lot of cars joint and waited. We were confussed because the railway crossing were free. We parked our Car and joint the group of people. Just to ask what is going on. Because every Hotel owner were outside now and every Tourist develop a feeling of tension. Then we saw it two Ellies in Town walking direcktly to the carawan camp. destroy the fence. eating and were relaxed. the owner of the camp gave chase and shout because the Tourius were in great danger. but now it comes. one of the Ellies ran directly to us everybody was running the Elephant behind us. we ran. then Ellie stoped, i haven´t realise it and carried on running. till I found myself lying on a floor. I had an Adrenalin shock so I haven´t saw the stumbling block. I then I fall. The Problem i wasn´t wearing proper shoes in the end my Toe were blue red purpel. All colours you can imagine. But If an Elepahnt get chase and you are in Town without a car, that is not very nice trust me.

Best Reagrds

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:05 am 

ahh I´ve got another Story as well. It was either a well known Park in Zimbabwe. we were at a Damm and we saw a lonley Buff. we went to the car because at the waterhole nothing happened in particular. so we drove. the road were stilted. so it was a typicat Dam road. this dam pass by throug a huge Gorge. Right an left Rocks. Now it comes the Buff that we saw at the Dam was very thirsty I guess because he was the first one the rest joint. The Herd were Huge I would guess ca. 30 buffs. Our Car were at the gorge when we saw the Herd Strawling to the dam to have little zip.we saw it from the back window of our car. We were watching them . And then I got a shock of my live behind we had a Herd of Buffs and in front the were a herd of Ellies. Small summary: Infront a couple of Elephants I would guess 7 und behind us there were 30 Buff right and left Rocks we were trapped. Luckily nothing happend but if one of the gave Chase we were in a big trouble!!!!. In the end we lough about it but during that Situation i was scared!

Enjoy he Story

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:32 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

June 2000 - Letaba. It was late evening; we had eventually set up camp and eaten, I had finished the washing up and was busy in the caravan making a final cup of tea. (By the way, for those who don't know - PNF is 2 people, in this case "I" is the F of PNF) Suddenly I heard a quiet frantic call from SO who was sitting outside reading. I looked outside to see what was going on only to discover him talking very "seriously" to a HYENA who was less than 4m away and about to step onto our groundsheet. After informing the said animal of what it was and precisely where it should go, the beast turned around and dissappeared into the darkness. We immediately drove up to the gate and reported this to the guard who, in turn, phoned the ranger. The ranger informed us that this particular hyena had already terrorised other people a couple of nights ago by entering their tent, behind their backs, and proceeding to chow their Coleman cooler. Apparently it had gained entrance to the camp through a gap under the fence that had been opened by the flood waters in February. The gap was found and closed very rapidly by the park's personnel.
Lower Sabie - October 2009. (I am typing this one very rapidly before SO has a chance to read what I've typed!) We were staying in a chalet overlooking the river. On the second morning, SO brought me a cup of tea in bed as we intended going out when the gates opened. He took his coffee and sat outside on the stoep watching the sky lighten. Some time later, I called him but he didn't answer, I called again - still no answer. I could see him clearly, sitting with his back to the sliding bedroom doors with his head turned towards the left but - motionless. I was now very worried and hesitently went outside to see what was wrong. I heard him breathing so I looked to the left following his gaze and THERE IT WAS.... on the stoep of the neighbouring chalet sat a young female tourist having a cigarette, wearing ONLY her pyjama bottoms and evidently totally unaware of SO's interest! I gently tapped him on the shoulder and indicated that he should return to the bedroom. He is now under close surveillence when having early morning coffee outside! If you don't hear from me again, then I will have been barred from the computer...........

KNP 3 May - 8 June 2014

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:16 pm 

What made my hair stand on end-----My dad and I were travelling into the Knp from Paul Kruger gate, when we came across a pride of lion in the road. This was just after the Phabeni turn to the right. The pride consisted of an adult female, some sub-adult males (manes not fully grown) and some cubs of approximately 12-18 months. The cubs were very playful and chasing each other. I was busy taking a photo of the adult female as she walked past me on the drivers side when one of the cubs jumped onto the hood of my car and looked at my dad and I through the windshield!!! It then jumped off and bumped the side of the car as it walked past and then hit the back window with it huge paw. My dad has been going to the park since he was 11 years old. he is now 87. I have been a regular visitor since 4-5 years old and this has never happened to either of us before. It was scary for the moment it happened, but now I regret not having taken a photo of the incident. I drive a red Fiat Uno and this happened on the 7 March 2008 at 6am:P

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:55 am 

You should wait till you here of the time we were having a sundowner in the same park "out of immediate danger" the guide said... Yeah right....

We went on a evening drive, and were trekking lions in the area, but it was getting dark... So the guide decided to drive across the river so the lions were would be on the opposite side of the river. That is where the guide came with his theory of us being in safety from the lions, so we could enjoy a sundowner.

As you know, a sundowner in the bush is one of the seven wonders of the world, and JUST has to be had....

So we were happily enjoying a drink and snack when I heard a "grunting" noise... :
The ranger heard it too, and shone the light behind us in the direction of the noise. There in the road was a huge male Leopard casually walking towards us about 100meters or so away. Well, my Mom Jumped onto the landy without touching the steps or spilling a drop of her drink. I managed to grab a cooler box and do the same. I think all 5 guests, which were all family, were on the landy in about 1.5 seconds....

It worked out well, great sighting of the Leopard, and soon after we found the relatively "safe" Lions

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:19 pm 

About 2 years ago we were on the early morning drive in an OSV with the Tinga Safari Lodge ranger and tracker.
He had taken us down some narrow little no entry roads, must admit I had absolutely no idea where we were.
Anyway, on this one particular very narrow little track he had stopped, switched the engine off and was standing with his door slightly ajar, one foot on the running board facing back towards us and telling us all about a Red-backed Shrike.
All of sudden without any warning the bushes and trees right next to us came to life and an Ellie burst out and came charging straight at us.
I promise you I saw my life flash before my eyes with doubt that day.
The ranger started yelling and shouting, the tracker clapping like crazy and I have no idea exactly how close the Ellie came to us but I can promise you it was not very far and the closest I have ever been to one in my life.
It then wheeled around and crashed back into the bush.
There was this stunned silence for a few moments in the truck while we all tried to gather what had just happened.
By this time the ranger had sat down and started the engine and began trying to talk to us, but he had almost totally lost his voice from the way he had shouted,
then as I looked back I saw it coming out the bush for another go, and without further delay he gunned the engine and we got out of there fast.
A bit further on we stopped for our coffee break and I could hardly get out the truck, my legs were still shaking so violently.
Then out of the total silence to this point this one Australian lady suddenly said to the tracker, "why didn't you also shout, we can do the clapping!"
Well, it was like a dam had burst, we all were laughing so much with tears streaming down our cheeks.

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:38 am 

Hi Everyone,

Inyati has fogotten one story.... Last year I think we were at Pretoriuskop (I stand to be corrected). Inyati got up in the early hours as he could not sleep and decided to sit on the stoep and have a ciggie, I was contemplating joining him but I was too comfy. The next thing he is racing into the Chalet, jumped into bed and under the covers in about three seconds flat.

I asked him what was wrong, paled face he explained that while having a ciggie he heard a grunt/growl from a leopard and the Impala in front of our Chalet were running in every direction possible.... Well I can say I had a good giggle and his vivid imagination....

The next morning getting ready to be at the Gate at 4:30am, I was busy drinking a cup of coffee and I hear the same thing well I got such a fright I was the one dashing into the Chalet.... Inyati did not have to ask me twice to get into the car.

We were in such a rush we forgot our torch and a few other belongings behind...

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:38 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

In 1995 I was rewarded for my enthusiasm and interest in wilderness trails and the KNP in general by being invited on a free Napi wilderness trail as a guest of the ranger , a true wildernessman with whom I shared the staff accomodation unit .
The paying guests seemed more interested in politics and the merits of various shopping malls etc. , and with little encouragement myself and the trails ranger escaped over the lunchtime siesta for a run along the road towards the north .
Coming over a rise with the ranger about 20 m ahead of me a large dark cobra reared up from the grass about 6 metres to the right of the road and then hastily retreated .

Strangely the rangers approach did not disturb the cobra , could it have ben sleeping or was it avoiding detection ?

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:19 am 

Although possible that either of your suggestions are valid; it may also have been mobile towards the road and disturbed by your approach to which it reacted. It sounds like the trail was in cooler months and obviously not too hot to run. Most snakes, and certainly cobras, prefer moving out of the path of potential threats; adders are more known to rely on camouflage and lack of movement.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:04 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Welcome on your first posting , Shawu , even though it appears you have been watching for years !
It was in the winter of 1995 , there was a cold front passing over , in fact it was very chilly and quite unpleasant out there on the walks - consequently we saw very little game - but thats not my top priority when on trail .

Another occasion in 1999/2000 on the Wolhuter - or it may have been the Bushman - I was the 3rd in the row to walk over a thick puffadder which was hidden in the thick grass nearby a stream . I heard the rustling of grass underneath my feet and then caught a glipmpse of it moving away .

That same trail it was very humid and I had the opportunity to take a dip in a crystal clear sand bottomed knee high stream that was flowing briskly after good rainfall .

What memories ....

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:18 am 

A few years ago,,my boys were still small, we were on a dirt road in the Croc Bridge area,when we saw a beautiful male lion lying on the shoulder of the road in the shade of a tree, we stopped to take a photo of it. I could see he was agitated as his tale was flicking from side to side , we were fairly close to him , and he was getting more and more agitated. My husband said that I must take the photo and then we must leave, not to make him more aggro, anyway as I tried to take the shot, he mock charged us,,, I ended up taking a photo of the cars roof, I got such a fright, and my son had jumped over his brother, who was sitting on the back left seat by the door, and wormed his way in between his baby brother and the door,,he had no colour in his face , it had drained out.
After the mock charge the lion lay down, rolled over and slept.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:13 pm 

Another story,,for those of you who has timeshare at Ngwenya,way back in 1998 when we just bought our week (in June unit 83) on the riverfront,there were balconies that had wooden bars across the front of the balcony and the side was open so you could get to the grass or the braai that was infront of the balcony.
We had spent the afternoon braaing,and had a heard of about 100 or more elephant in the river and on the bank opposite the lodge, as dusk came closer our vision became poorer and eventually we could not see the ellies. My son had left his shoes outside and went out to fetch them(only on the balcony) and as he opened the door an ellie was standing by our braai, he trumpted, flapped his ears and we ducked into the main bedroom just incase he tried to come into the lounge,which he obviously did notMy heart was in my throat, even our neighbours came out to see what the commotion was all about.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next