Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Photography Chat
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:19 am 

Last year I bought a Cannon G10 and used it on a trip to Egypt (western desert, etc) and it gave me excellent results. Later in the year I used in the United Kingdom and also got excellent results. I know it is only a "pocket camera" but it is head and shoulders above its competion in this price bracket (+/- R7 500).

Before all you Nikon fans start jumping up and down I do use Nikon DSLR cameras with a selection of lens ranging from 18mm to 600mm for wildlife.

I just find that the G10 is a great camera to carry around in your coat pocket - it is a bit big for a shirt pocket.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:40 pm 

Ok, we won't jump up and down, just because you ask so nicely. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:41 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Tamron 18-270 mm
New lens by Tamron
Landscape and nice reach for a moderate fee
Heard and read some nice comments

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:55 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

After my last post where I said I'd decided on a superzoom, I got the chance to test drive a friends Canon DSLR... needless to say I was hooked and have already ordered mine! :P

I found a really good deal on a Canon 1000D with a 18-55mm lens, a 75-300mm lens, a wide angle lens plus all the extras - flash, bag, tripod, memory & more! I know it's entry level but then so am I! :lol:

Can't wait to start shooting. :dance:

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENTS IN KRUGER

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:21 pm 

bert wrote:
Tamron 18-270 mm
New lens by Tamron
Landscape and nice reach for a moderate fee
Heard and read some nice comments

Hi Bert,
Thanks for the info

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:41 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

What is the general opinion on polarizer filters? Do they make a big difference to photographs?

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:12 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Good morning Flutterby,
I've been using polarizer filters for years and it certainly does make a difference in photographs.
They have a few basic functions but also a drawbacks.
First: they tend to saturate your colours
Second : they get rid of reflections

Drawback:
You loose approx 2f stops

I always use it when lighting is very harsh as it adds that extra brilliance to your colours

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:47 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Grazie Andy! Sounds good - think I will have to invest in one. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:53 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Quote:
EOS 5D Mark II Firmware Update Version 2.0.3
Firmware changes

Firmware Version 2.0.3 incorporates five enhancements to the movie function and a fix to the manual sensor cleaning function of the EOS 5D Mark II camera.

1. Adds or changes the following movie frame rates.

NTSC:
* 1920×1080 : 30 fps (changed - actual 29.97 fps)
* 1920×1080 : 24 fps (added - actual 23.976 fps)
* 640×480 : 30 fps (changed - actual 29.97 fps)
PAL:
* 1920×1080 : 25 fps (added - actual 25.0 fps)
* 1920×1080 : 24 fps (added - actual 23.976 fps)
* 640×480 : 25 fps (added - actual 25.0 fps)

2. Adds a function for manually adjusting the sound recording level (64 levels).
3. Adds a histogram display (brightness or RGB) for shooting movies in manual exposure.
4. Adds shutter-priority AE mode (Tv) and aperture-priority AE (Av) mode to the exposure modes for shooting movies.
5. Changes the audio sampling frequency from 44.1 KHz to 48 KHz.
6. Fixes a phenomenon where communication between the camera and the attached lens is sometimes interrupted after manual sensor cleaning. (This phenomenon only affects units with Firmware Version 1.2.4.)

Firmware Version 2.0.3 is for cameras with firmware up to version 1.2.4. If the camera's firmware is already version 2.0.3, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

Movies captured using EOS 5D Mark II cameras with Firmware Version 1.1.0 to 1.2.4 can be played back on cameras updated with Firmware Version 2.0.3. However, if you try to play back movies captured with a camera with the new firmware on a camera with a previous firmware version, a message, Cannot play back image, appears on the camera's LCD monitor.

It is recommended that you use the latest Canon applications*1 to edit movies captured with EOS 5D Mark II cameras that have the latest firmware because some previous versions do not support movie-editing functions and the frame rates that are added or changed by the latest firmware. You can download the latest Canon applications from our Web site.
*1 ZoomBrowser EX Version 6.5.0 or later (compatible operating systems : Windows XP/Vista/7)
ImageBrowser Version 6.5.0 or later (compatible operating systems : Mac OS X v10.4/10.5/10.6)

Quite worth downloading if you have that camera I think?
Link.

Video is not (yet) allowed in the competition, photos are. Did you send in yours?

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:58 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Canon did an Oopsy!

Quote:
Recently we have discovered a malfunction that occurs with Firmware Version 2.0.3, in which the manual recording levels for C1/C2/C3 are changed and the camera becomes unable to record audio if the power is turned off (or if Auto power off takes effect) after registering "Sound Recording: Manual" in the camera user settings.
We apologize very sincerely for the inconvenience, but we are going to stop making this firmware available for download. For customers who have already updated to the new firmware, when using the camera with the mode dial set to C1/C2/C3, please either set the sound recording settings to Auto.
We are currently preparing firmware that will correct this malfunction. As soon as those preparations have been completed, we will let you know on this Web site. In the meantime, we apologize for the inconvenience this represents, but please wait until the fixed firmware is ready.

But at least you know a newer version with more options will become available.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Re: my first picture post - Shingwedzi
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:11 pm 

did something wrong...will try again

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:16 pm 

Please shout if the mods can help out Dakka :thumbs_up:

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:51 am 

[img]2009_0709pala090064.JPG[/img][size=85]

Please help DB, got this far and am stuck..wont preview or open

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:01 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Dakka wrote:
[img]2009_0709pala090064.JPG[/img][size=85]

Please help DB, got this far and am stuck..wont preview or open

Morning Dakka,

I can see what you are doing wrong and lets see if I can help.
First of all I see that you're trying to insert the image that you have on your computer (??).

Images can be inserted in the threads only if you have them stored in a web site (Flickr, Picasa and so on)
Once you have them inserted in the site you click with your right mouse button on it and copy the image url (should look like this:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_jovEc4qsJMA/SpqiA ... ARLING.jpg.

Copy the URL of the image you want to insert follow the same steps as your above picture: Img = Image, that so do it.

Hope I was clear enough.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:07 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Correct, you forgot the bit on which server it's placed, and then the browser can't find it...

I have been messing around with a little program, trying to get some more interactive tutorials. While far from finished you may want to have a look at this 'beta' of it. It's a 2.8 MB flash movie.

For those wanting to use Lightroom, the second beta of version 3 is out and ready for download. This link will probably work:
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlemen ... lightroom3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quote:
Beta Timeframe

When you install Lightroom 3 beta 2, the software will remain active through June 2010. Once the commercial version of Lightroom 3 has shipped, you will need to uninstall the beta and install the final version.
Lightroom Beta 2 Installers

This download will install Lightroom 3 beta 2 and will work independently alongside your installation of Lightroom 1 or higher. The beta version is intended to provide an opportunity to give feedback and as such, does not read, upgrade or import catalogs from previous versions of Lightroom. If you currently own Lightroom, please continue to use Lightroom 1 or higher for your primary workflow needs.

Quote:
New in Lightroom 3 Beta 2

* Improved performance throughout the application for faster importing and loading of images
* Native tethered shooting support for select Nikon and Canon DSLR cameras
* Luminance noise reduction has been added to the previous color noise reduction improvements available in the first public beta for outstanding overall high ISO quality
* Support for importing and managing video files from DSLR cameras for better overall photographic workflow control
* Improvements to the import experience in the first beta to reflect public feedback
* Improved watermarking functionality from the first beta to reflect public feedback

Lightroom 3 beta 2 builds on the enhancements introduced in the first Lightroom 3 beta release:

* Brand new performance architecture, building for the future of growing image libraries
* State-of-the-art noise reduction to help you perfect your high ISO shots
* Watermarking tool that helps you customize and protect your images with ease
* Portable sharable slideshows with audio—designed to give you more flexibility and impact on how you choose to share your images, you can now save and export your slideshows as videos and include audio
* Flexible customizable print package creation so your print package layouts are all your own
* Film grain simulation tool for enhancing your images to look as gritty as you want
* New import handling designed to make importing streamlined and easy
* More flexible online publishing options so you can post your images online to certain online photo sharing sites directly from inside Lightroom 3 beta (may require third-party plug-ins)*

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next