Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Roodewal Bush Lodge
Unread postPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:31 am 

We stayed at Roodewal in the middle of April for four nights and it was great. We've stayed before (3 years ago) and so have seen it 'before' and 'after' updates. For those who have stayed before, the layout is exactly the same, with the same huts. Now, all the huts have two separated bedrooms and bathrooms (with a door between the two bedrooms) and a front 'veranda' enclosed by mesh windows and door (no mosquitos or monkeys!). The kitchenette is in this front segment. The whole of this is within the original hut, so the bedrooms are relatively smaller compared to the one very large room there was before, but how much space does one need to sleep in?! The hut that previously had two bedrooms is now basically the same as the others, it just is bigger, so the bedrooms are bigger (with a kind of dressing room) as is the living area. The communal kitchen and dining room are still there, as are the the cheeky monkeys who managed to get into our car and steal the apples while we were unloading - don't leave anything open!

We had loads of space as the family with whom we were supposed to be travelling were unable to come at the last minute as their youngest daughter broke her leg jumping off the school climbing frame the day before we travelled (from England), so it was a bitter/sweet time for us - fantastic time but sad that our friends couldn't share it with us. But we're planning our next trip to South Africa together already!

We saw a leopard and a pride of lion at the Roodewal water pan on different days and another leopard (mid-morning) on the Satara road (it wandered along the road in front of us!) only a few km from the Roodewal turn, so it was very fruitful for game viewing as well as being probably the most relaxing place on earth for us!

Enjoy your stays - I'm only a little envious!!

Catriona

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi
I hope someone can help. From all the information received while they were upgrading Roodewal it was clear that you would be able to book the units individually - that is why they now all have kitchens.

But when I phoned reservations they told me that you have to book the whole camp and it's R4000 per night. What happened?

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:29 am 

Stayed there in August, what a place ! :thumbs_up:
Can't see why they want to make it able to book the units individually, it will lose the whole "private camp" appeal and feeling
For us it was nice to have the kitchen especially with children.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:47 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

AWB wrote:
Bosnimf wrote:

Sorry folks, a bit off topic but what's up with this. What happened to the pic.

Not logged into the account for 90 days, despite the warning email. That means the photos are offline now, and soon will be deleted...

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:06 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

The following was posted on 15 July 2008

zakiya wrote:
Hi guys,

I've just called in to check on the upgrades taking place...

They are basically building individual kitchen units to the four sleeping units.

leelee was correct in saying that this will allow SANParks to let out the 4 units individually, should that be required.

The previous arrangement of the whole camp being booked is still going to stand based on availability of all the units.

Keep dreaming guys - you never know when it will come true!!!

I hope this response is satisfactory? Anything else you wanna know, I'll check....

So from this response it seemed that units could individually be booked. One can still book the whole camp IF all units are available - again showing that individual units could be booked.

Agree that an official comment would be appreciated

Post subject: Roodewal
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:24 am 

Please can someone give me advice on the bungalows at Roodewal?I have booked 4 nights in May and have 7 couples eager to join us -however my booking form (and parks web site)description of accommodation says the bungalows have 3 beds and a loft with matresses.Obviously that would not be suitable for adults to share but I recall reading that the upgrade has divided the bungalows into 2 bedrooms which would be fine.Help please :pray: Pam

Post subject: Re: Roodewal
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:43 am 

Hi everyone,

I got the following information directly from the "main man's" mouth, so to speak....

==============================================================
Roodewal has 3 chalets with 2 separate bedrooms en suite and sleep 4 people in each. Total 12

1 chalet with 2 separate bedrooms en suite and sleep 3 people in each Total 6

GRAND TOTAL 18

Each chalet has an enclosed kitchen plus braai stand outside

There is also a large communal dining room and communal kitchen

Please note you must be self sufient in all food stuff, wood etc

Roodewal is run on solar power and has a stand-by generator there are no electric plugs and only fans in the rooms

2 staff members live on site and service the chalets

Good idea to bring gas lamps for additional lighting

Morning walks and Sunset drives can be arranged from Roodewal –please contact Satara for bookings

Please contact me should you need any further info

Regards

Gordon Ramsden
Duty Manager: Satara
082 802 1209
gordonr@sanparks.org

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:04 am 

A group of us has recently returned from Roodewal. On the whole we enjoyed our stay there due to it being in such a fantastic spot. I am not sure wether we just had a bad experience or if it's always so badly run. There was only 1 lady looking after the camp whom was extremely unfriendly and unhelpful. Most of the time we had no power at all. If we had known this we would have taken more torches or candles. When we arrived, there were 2 dead rats in the sleeping units. The main kitchen fridge and the fridge in the dining area were not working. There were a lot of little irritations which, are no problem on their own but put together, lessened our enjoyment. We have often stayed at Boulders and find that camp better looked after and better planned, although it is not in such a good location as Roodewal.
I don't think it right that there was only 1 lady looking after the camp. She said that she had no way of communicating with Satara,, except with her own cell phone and using her own air time. None of us had cell reception there. I found that for a newly renovated camp it was seriously lacking. They have only upgraded the bed rooms, with things I feel, are totally unnecessary. You book for the whole camp, why would you want to sit in your own unit and braai. If staying there I would advise people to take any battery charges they have, that can be used with the car cigarette lighter. Unlike Boulders which is also solar powered there are no power points at all.
Be prepared to be invaded by the monkeys, you can not leave anything out!

Last edited by Anne D on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:48 am 

Finally,some pictures.These pictures are mostly of the Chalets,dont have pictures of the camp itself.Might have to go back and get take some of the camp. :lol:
This is the 6 bed chalet.
This is the lounge as you get in.
Then to your right is the kitchen.
Bedroom 1x double bed 1x single bed x2
Bathroom with shower,toilet and basin
This is the view of the riverbed from the camp.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:28 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The photo's are great, first to be seen! Thank you JBL.

I agree Francois, we have been asking many questions about the booking of the camp (individual units) and no official response. I see that you can only book the total camp when checking on availability on the website.

When I phoned reservations now they say that you can only book the whole camp. The guy even checked with his supervisor and they told me that you cannot book individual units. WHAT is the situation? Please can someone help. I am sure there are many people who would like to go to Roodewal, but dont have R4000 for one night for 4 or 6 people? :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:36 pm 

Hi, here some photo's of the communal area at Roodewal, with the kitchen in the background, braai area, view to the deck , and the bungalows nearest to the communal area.

Really a awesome place if you are a big family or group of friends.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Roodewal junkies...
After DuQues gave me the great news that units in Roodewal can now be booked individually, but only through Reservations, I phoned them with great enthusiasm. Reservations referred me to Satara camp.

The news is bad and good....

I phoned Satara. I spoke to Gordon, the Duty Manager. He said that they will only consider the units seperately 2 weeks before the time, depending on availability. So if the whole camp is not booked 2 weeks before, you can then book 1 unit only. I specifically asked him about booking 1 or 2 units for example in November, he said no, that's not possible.

Question is - if one unit is now booked through Satara, will it show as FULLY booked on the system preventing other people from knowing what's going on?
This means that you can never include Roodewal into your normal bookings (planned in advance) because no-one knows if it will be available :wall: .

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:03 pm 

Hi Click Click -we were at Roodewal in May this year and loved it so much that we are also going again Sep 2011.There are 4 cottages,each with 2 bedrooms,2 bathrooms and a kitchenette with kettle,fridge.etc -nice for morning coffee.So there are 8 bedrooms (16 beds)There is also a large communal kitchen and a large dining room if the weather is bad otherwise you eat outside at the braai area.I have uploaded some Roodewal photos to Picasa and will try to post the link http://picasaweb.google.com/heuningklip ... directlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hope this helps :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:36 pm 

I'm trying to remember - the gas bottles and pots are ours -they had a tablecloth and I had the other one.The kitchen was very well stocked so they probably had a potjie pot as well.We never used their lanterns as we had our own gas lights and torches. We had 4 nights in Roodewal and as I mentioned it was wonderful.There were 9 of us and we were able to have a cottage for each couple with only one having to share. We didn't see much gamewise in camp besides baboons and the odd antelope but was so beautiful it really didn't matter.We found the Timbavati run very rewarding -lions on a kill, herds of zebra,wilderbees, giraffe,etc AND a bushpig! Another great drive is to Nwanetsi -also herds of animals and plenty of lion -last year we also saw cheetah.Both picnic sites are perfect for a break.I really can't remember hearing the generator at all -slept like a baby!
:wink:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:29 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
The base at Roodewal is 1-8.
So if 8 people book Roodewal that costs R4715,
its only R560 per person about! and to add an adult is R470 where the max people is 18.
So it is cheaper to book out Roodewal than bungaloes! And the more the cheaper!
What a place for a meet :D

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next