Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Double Beds??
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:44 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Morning Mitch, I had the same problem during my honeymoon and had single beds throughout the trip.
The only other camp we found double beds was Talamati and really don't know if camps offer the choice between between room with two single or double beds.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:04 am 

Hi mitch

the luxury bungalows at skukuza have double beds, my mum and dad stayed in one of these bungalows, they have a river view. also, pretoriuskop have some accommodation with double beds.
hope this helps

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:23 am 

Hello Mitch
Try BD2D accommodation in Shingwedzi, it is also perimeter.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:02 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
We usually take a king-size mattress cover and and King-size fitted sheet with us .. and then we push the beds together and we have a King-size bed..!!!
Otherwise we share a single bed!!!
BUT on honeymoon that would not necessarily be ideal .
We did it 40 years ago and in those days all the mattresses were coir and if you wanted a innerspring it was 1/6 extra. !!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:07 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Rolling up a bedspread and putting that in the gap between the matresses sort of works.

(Not going to post how I know!)

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:16 pm 

Hut A27 in Shingwedzi has a double bed - and I have a photo to prove it. I stayed there last year July It is a brilliant hut - stand alone on the perimeter. Thatched roof, lovely verandah to sit on and a resident tree mouse in the Mopane that abuts the verandah. There is a thicket right nearby filled with birds.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:57 pm 

We stayed at Shimuwini up north in October last year. I cant remember the number but it was the only one with a loft upstairs. It was situated right in the middle of the row of bungalows. The main bedroom downstairs had a double bed. The bedroom and lounge both had sliding doors overlooking the river. The swimming pool was right behind this bungalow. This was the only bungalow that had a lounge inside. All the others only had chairs outside. Certainly can recommend this bungalow for a honeymoon.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:19 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Berg n dal family cottages has got one double bed

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:36 pm 

Hi Mitch, The bungalow number at Shimuwini is number 9. If you look at the thread Shimuwini Bushveld Camp on page 6 there are some lovely photos of number 9.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Mitch
I have just booked GC6D units in Sirheni and GA6 in Bateleur - they both have double beds in. I have also stayed in the Family cottages in Letaba and one bedroom had a double bed.
The family unit (FF4) in Shingwedzi has a KING size bed...
Was on honeymoon in KNP 17 years ago and I must be honest, the size of the beds did not really matter - now it does and I always book a unit with double bed where possible.

Previously we tried to get the staff to replace the single beds with a double (the booking said that they can do it on request) and we were told that its not possible....

Enjoy your trip!

Post subject: Re: Honeymoon Safari
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:24 am 

honeymoonk wrote:
Hi
We're planning our honeymoon!!! We're going to be in South Africa end of Sept to mid Oct. It will be our first time in the Kruger and we're hoping for some help in choosing where to stay. We have about 8 days (ish) in the Kruger and hope to go north and south. Any advice about the best (romantic) camps to stay, animal sightings (its my first safari and Im soo excited), and as we are in SA for a few weeks we're also boringly watching the pennies would be really appreciated.

8 days is a little short to go north to south. Kruger is a big place.

If you want to get a little of both, I would recommend either Sirhini or Shingwedzi, and Satara. Keep in mind that there are lower animal densities in the north. The north is great for birds, and there is far less traffic, but has far fewer animals than the south. If you're interested in birds and the smaller things, the north is great. Otherwise, I'd recommend the south.

There are a couple camps in the south that tend to be quieter. I love Biyamiti, and Croc Bridge is also a very nice camp in the south.

Option 1
4 nights Shingwedzi/Sirhini
4 nights Satara

Option 2
3 nights Satara
3 nights Croc Bridge
2 nights Biyamiti

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:19 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
A warm welcome to you, Honeymoonk :D What a brilliant way to start your married life together.

I am going to differ slightly from Skywalker and Inyati and I am sure that you are going to get lots of advice.

My advice is based on animal density, which is best in the central and southern park in Sept/mid October and finishing in the north. I am also thinking of the most "romantic" camps.

I agree that Biyamti is a good choice. It is a small camp, private and in an excellent animal zone. My other choice would be Tambotie. It is in the central Park, private and wild. My larger camp suggestion would be Olifants. Its a camp with atmosphere and the best view in Kruger. For the last 2 nights, I would think of Sirheni. It has often been brought up in the context of "romantic" camps.

So, for what its worth:
2 nights Biyamiti.. if you cannot get there to try for a " luxury tent" at Lower Sabie, one over looking the Sabie river. Even if not on honeymoon, I have a problem leaving for drives, it has such a beautiful view and stunning outlook.
2 nights Tambotie
2 nights Olifants
2 nights Sirheni.

Good luck on your new life together and have a great day 8)

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:27 pm 

Hi honeymoonk, and welcome to the forum.

I would like to suggest a different itinerary, just to give some options if a lot of accommodation is already booked. My suggestion is to stay at just 3 camps, as packing and unpacking every day or two is not the most romantic option.

I would start at Lower Sabie and get one of the recently refurbished riverside bungalows (codes BD2U or BD3U I think). Game densities are very high around here with a good chance of the big five – lion and leopard are often seen around camp, especially on the sunset drive, and on the roads south toward Crocodile Bridge and north towards Tshokwane you are sure to see plenty of rhino. There is a lovely deck overlooking the river with a cafe, and a restaurant if you want to dine in the evening. A great introduction to Kruger.

My next suggestion is Talamati, as it is bush camp and has a lovely quiet atmosphere and also a hide overlooking a waterhole which is partly lit at night. When we stayed there elephant, rhino and lions were seen at the water after dark and lots of grazing animals including sable antelope in the day time. As a bush camp you will need to take all your food there with you as do not sell anything other than firewood (and possibly ice).

Thirdly, and to get further north as you wanted, I would suggest either Letaba (for the wonderful river frontage and old trees) or Olifants for the fabulous views. There are getout points on the high water bridges over the Olifants and Letaba rivers, and many interesting drives which will give you a feel for the mopaneveld or the open grasslands. The BBD2V units at Olifants have amazing views. At Letaba there are many perimeter bungalows available and some newly renovated units (but not perimeter) in circle E (BD3, but you will need to request that circle in advance). From here you could leave the park via the Phalaborwa gate if that fits with your other plans.

Whatever you decide you will have a fantastic and unforgettable experience. :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: Kruger Honeymoon
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:20 pm 

Congratulations on your engagement and planning! :clap:

Personally I love Olifants as if you get number 14 (it is a double rondaval so for 4 people but we always just had it for 2 of us with a room for cases and to use as a dressing room etc..
It has a lovely large area just to relax and watch the river below while the wildlife comes to drink - sometimes I find you just need to stop for a while and be able to relax in your 'own' place and watch from there rather than driving around. It's not that far North either that it is still do-able.

Post subject: Re: Kruger Honeymoon
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:02 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Welcome, and congrats! :gflower:

Personally I would change it a bit...
Quote:
At the moment we are thinking :
- 3 night Biyamiti
- 2 night Pretoriuskop
- 3 night talmati
- 2 night either Lower Sabie or Croc bridge.

That is all in the south. The distances between those camps are so small that you will see them a couple of times, and worse, will stay in the same ecozones mostly.
Now as a honeymoon you probably do not care too much about money, and you two do have time to save up just a little more. But you do want privacy for some reasons... ;)
May I throw in this schedule?

- 3 nights Biyamiti (that takes care of the south)
- 2 nights Talamati (the middle)
- 2 nights Roodewal (expensive, but totally worth it)
- 2 nights Tamboti
- 1 night Lower Sabie, to get you slowly back into "civilisation"

That way you will see more of Kruger, but have tons of privacy.
Actually I would send you north further, but... This will be your first visit to Kruger I think?

Many more suggestions will come here. ;)

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next