Skip to Content

night photos in kruger

Share and discuss your images (strictly SANparks related)
fee

night photos in kruger

Unread postby fee » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:51 pm

I have a canon 600d. Went on a night drive and my photos were disastrous. Even when the light was shone close to the animal, my photos turned out awful. If the subject is near, which lens is best to use? and what is the best setting to use for night photography in the park?

Some people have awesome night photos.

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: night photos in kruger

Unread postby George_Brits » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:01 am

Good morning Fee,

I'm not a camera fundi at all as I use a "Point and shoot" camera. But, according to the fundi's I have approached, they reckon that any lens that can handle F2.8 would be great for night time photography, obviously you get them at different sizes, but I would reckon for close up photography a 55mm would be great, and a 24 - 70mm can be more versatile.

I will go for ISO setting as low as 100, remember the higher the ISO setting, the grainier the image becomes.

I hope this helps?

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby lion queen » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:16 am

Hi fee,

Have a look at these topics, there might be some good advice.

Best of luck, I struggled to with taking photos on night drives! :gflower:

Shooting on sunset / nightdrives

Taking photos on night drive
SANParks Online Fans..........Where passion is pride!

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

Scottm

Unread postby Scottm » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:23 am

Hi Fee

I offer a couple of suggestions to help you with your night photography. There are a number of sites around the internet than can help you better understand the concepts around the "Golden triangle" of photography. In essence, your sensor, like film of the old days, requires a certain amount of light in order to capture an image - and the three issues you have to consider are Shutter speed, Aperture and ISO.

In order to capture an image of suitable quality and brightness, you have to get a balance between these three issues, so for night photography of wildlife: 1) The size of the aperture you can use is limited to your lens, so ideally, set your camera to aperture priority and your aperture to the maximum size (smallest f/number); 2) Set your ISO as high as possible where you will still get a reasonable picture (probably around ISO 800 or even 1600 on your camera); 3) This should allow for a reasonable shutter speed to cater for any movement, and give you a reasonable chance of a decent image. Note that focus in low-light often also causes a problem, so make sure that your camera is nailing the autofocus, or alternatively, switch to manual focus.

Finally, if you cannot get a reasonable image using the above suggestions, the chances are that, without the use of a flash, you simply have insufficient light to capture images in that environment.....
"Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints"

Photographs help to crystallize memories, but cannot be seen to be a replacement of them!

fee

Unread postby fee » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:39 pm

Thanks for the advice.
I also use a canon sx30is as well as the 600d so I will practise shooting even if its just sitting in camp!
Leave for the park tomorrow.

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby George_Brits » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:41 am

Fee!

Have a safe trip to the Kruger, I am looking forward to see your trip report and night time pictures when you return. Enjoy it!!!

fee

Unread postby fee » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:35 pm

Hi -

Glad to say I managed to take a few photos on the night drive this week.
I will try and post them to show you. They are not competition winners, but at least I am getting the hang of taking photos at night.

Thanks for the advice.

Return to “SANParks Camera Club”