Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Itching 'n all
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

So a few months ago I bought a Canon EOS 70D. And I didnt like any of the offerings as far as kit lens was concerned. Not that I know too much but nothing sounded like it was gonna make people step back when I step into the hide at Lake Panic. So, I got a Sigma 18-250 because I read good things about it on the interwebz. And I found a second hand (hardly by the looks of things) Canon 100-400 because y'all over here reckon it's the best thing since bubble gum. And then I settled back because I thought I had enough for the time being.

But the "time being" has passed by the looks of things. I have kit that I dont even realize the capabilities of but I want more. I want more people and that is why I am here now. You have got lenses that you use all the time. I dont think I want more tele power. Not that 400 is a lot but it will do. But what lens do you have that stands in good stead when you do the nature trip? Doesnt have to be a far reach item. Just, what do you find useful in a natural setting?

C'mon, this is a club forum it says above. Let's "club it up" and talk kit and gear like we do at the golf club and at music opens mics and so forth. Help a poor man burn some money hey.

Post subject: Re: Itching 'n all
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:14 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

oh dear Moobox, :lol: :lol: :lol: I am hearing myself with the big lens.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:41 pm 

So you going to be looking for one for landscapes? Say between 25-70mm.

I have the Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8 L USM. I don't use it much as I prefer my 70-200 lens for my birding walks in the UK and general needs in Kruger.

It needs me to take it out and do a lot of practice but I also fear that if I don't have the bigger lens on me, I'll miss something.

You are making me think I need to take it with me tomorrow :lol: I really need to work out the settings. Like everything else I need to practice, practice, practice and I'm basically lazy.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

That 24-70 looks like a nice little addition. I was thinking macro but this looks like a possibility. You know, if you're not using something actively, might as well realize some hard cash hey?

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:06 pm 

Hmm, postage might cost you an arm and a leg :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:07 pm 

Macro would be good too. Might look into that myself one of these days.

A lot of reading I've done over the years say that to take great landscapes you need a tripod.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:55 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

OK then. So I've decided to scratch with a bit of an excursion into macro. But rather than kick it off with a 15 G's new lens, I have ordered a set of extension tubes and a reversal adapter. Still got to get my head around how that works but we'll see.

See, I tend to do a little bit of self inspection with these things. And given my preoccupation with the littler things (as opposed to the lions and tigers and stuff) I reckoned it's a good idea to try and see even smaller.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:15 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

So there's challenges. I slapped on the tubes and wondered around my yard. Shooting handheld because the goggas just up an buzz off while you are trying to setup any support. And then to focus is a blighter. Use the focusing ring but gee! that is virtually impossible. So I move ever so gently back and forth to get my subject into focus and you know, that is also not so easy but I guess it just requires patience and practise (should that be with a "c"?). Nonetheless, it is exciting and definitely going to be part of my repertoire on forthcoming trips to reserves. As soon as I have some images that are perhaps worthy for display, I will bang slap them up for the cleverer people to pass gentle critique and direction. Understand also that there is a shortage of bugs at the moment.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:50 am 

If you really want to add value toe your photography kit get a second body. No more fiddly lens changes while your subject runs/flies/zooms away. Simply switch cameras and shoot, really works very well. And I'm sure everyone in the hide will make room for the guy arriving with two cameras :cam: :cam: