Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Frog: African Bullfrog
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:09 am 

got this at the reptile centre.....can anyone tell me what the bands are across it's eyes....my guess is eyelid but only a guess and I am no expert.

Post subject: Re: bullfrog eye question
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:24 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi Shazzer :D
Most frogs have a thin, partly clear inner eyelid called the nictitating membrane. This membrane can move upward, covering and protecting their eyes without completely blocking their vision.
It protects the frogs eyeball while swimming underwater and through plants.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:21 pm 

Freda wrote:
Hi Shazzer :D
Most frogs have a thin, partly clear inner eyelid called the nictitating membrane. This membrane can move upward, covering and protecting their eyes without completely blocking their vision.
It protects the frogs eyeball while swimming underwater and through plants.

Thank you Freda, now you have explained it my memories of school biology lessons came flooding back! :rtm:

this lovely chap has now provided me with a new desktop picture and everyone at work either loves him or sqirm! I think he is great although lovers of Millipedes maynot think so
Regards

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Sunninghill(JHB), Vaalwater & Beauty(Waterberg), Grahamstown(E.C)
Great photo by the way! :thumbs_up:

FGASA LEVEL 1

Post subject: Frog: African Bullfrog
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:18 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
I could not find a thread on this particular thread so I thought I would start a new one. ( If there is already a thread can one of the Moderators join up please).
I came across this guy hopping along the S126 (Sweni Road). He was obviously moving to another pool. I really wanted to help him as I had just left 3 Ground Hornbills around the corner but of course I could not. I just hope he made the next pool!!

Reading up on this Frog in "Frogs of the KNP" the Bullfrog takes 28 years to reach its full size! In addition the Bullfrogs of the lowveld are considerably smaller than the highveld population. Length of 198mm versus 115mm for a KNP speciman. Having said that I must admit its been a long time since I have seen a Bullfrog on the Highveld!!

Post subject: Re: Bullfrog
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:24 pm 

Reading up on this Frog in "Frogs of the KNP" the Bullfrog takes 28 years to reach its full size! In addition the Bullfrogs of the lowveld are considerably smaller than the highveld population. Length of 198mm versus 115mm for a KNP speciman. Having said that I must admit its been a long time since I have seen a Bullfrog on the Highveld!!

28 years to grow into adult frog?
That is some crazy story.
never believe everything you read.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
Hi Fooble, Are you an expert on frogs? I am quoting from a book published by the KNP written by U de V. Pienaar (Ph.D) who was a former Park Warden of the KNP, and N.I.Passmore (M.Sc).
Also what I stated in my thread and I quote from the book 'it takes a Bullfrog about 28 years to reach its full size'.
I did not say it takes 28 years to reach adulthood.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:35 pm 

adw wrote:
Hi Fooble, Are you an expert on frogs? I am quoting from a book published by the KNP written by U de V. Pienaar (Ph.D) who was a former Park Warden of the KNP, and N.I.Passmore (M.Sc).
Also what I stated in my thread and I quote from the book 'it takes a Bullfrog about 28 years to reach its full size'.

I know fooble from another forum and I must say he is quite the frog expert!

I also think 28 years is a bit exaggerated.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Ales, I have done some more research on the internet on the African Bullfrog but before I get into that I would like to say Dr Tol Pienaar was not only the Park Warden of the KNP but was also an eminent scientist who wrote many scientific papers on various animals. I doubt he would exaggerate any animal fact that he wrote about.

If you go onto the website www.zipcodezoo.com/animals/p/pyxicephalus_adspersus it also states in their that it 'takes about 28 years for an African Bullfrog to reach its full size.'

If you can can up with any other scientific information on this frog contrary to the above I would be most interested in hearing from you.
Regards.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:02 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I didn't even know that frogs can become that old! Thanks for a wonderful pic and it would be really interesting to get more information about the growing for 28 years. But why should it not be possible :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks FC. If you log onto the website mentioned on my previous thread they have some quite interesting info on the bullfrog.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:30 am 

adw wrote:

adw.

I wouldn't call myself an expert that would be bashful.
I am however focused upon Reptiles and Amphibians in general hence my time spent on thsi forum is solely based upon Reptiles and Amphibians
I have infact kept the species in question and their growth is actually quite rapid.

Unless i misunderstood your statement originally?

They do have a long lifespan anywhere of up to 30 years ( depending on where or what you read)
But they do not take 28 years to reach Sexual Maturity.

Sorry i didn't mean to cause any issues.
I just seem to grow frustrated as people often spread loads of nonsense epically on Snake ID's when if someone say's it's 100% snake A( and they are sure of this ) Joe soap comes along who has no idea and says no no it is X y and z.

Ales wrote:
adw wrote:

I know fooble from another forum and I must say he is quite the frog expert!

I also think 28 years is a bit exaggerated.

Thanks Ales im actually 24 ;)
i wouldn't call myself an expert but id like t think i have some knowledge which extends past the average Joe's.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Fooble,
Thanks for your reply. Just to clarify What I quoted from the book and subsequently from the website that it is estimated they reach their maximum size after 28 years. Not sexual maturity or adulthood which I am sure they reach within a year or two.
I have a general interest in all animals, reptiles and insects and love photographing all wildlife.
When I was a youngster I grew up next to a dam and we had LARGE bullfrogs in our garden. Since those days the only time I come across Bullfrogs is in the KNP and they are about a quarter of the size (if that) I used to see on the Highveld.
Carry on your good work looking after the frogs.
Regards

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:42 pm 

I'm also very interested in frogs and at the moment only keep foam nests and banded rubber frogs.
Ive kept 2 species of painted reed frogs but they eat too much and make too much noise.

Being in Gauteng frogs arent very easy to find and Im waiting til I get a car so I can go herping and do some road cruising so maybe I can find the ones that we do have here.

Fooble I didnt call you 28,I was referring to the frog. :)

@adw.I apologise ,I shouldn't have said "exaggerated",I just think the gentlemen that supplied that info shouldn't have put suck a big age,as I'm sure allot of bullfrogs reach their full size in 15 years,maybe some 28,but he should have put +-20.
Just to even it out a bit instead of putting the maximum.

Post subject: Pixie Frog
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Can someone please confirm that this is a female pixie frog (African bull frog)- thanks

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER !