Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: A Question About Snakes
Unread postPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:20 pm 

As others have said, winter is the best time to reduce chances of running into snakes. Chances are very small that you'll see them in camp.

I've seen two snakes in camps. One in a tree in Lower Sabie. The other I saw when I was walking along the fence in Biyamiti, returning from the birdhide to our bungalow. We had sat in the birdhide until late and it was starting to get dark as we headed back to prepare dinner. I only saw the snake as it slithered away as we stepped over it on the trail. Needless to say I'm much more cautious walking along the fenceline, particularly in the bush camps, now.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

While I would heartily agree that cold means less snake sightings, I must be honest -- you can see quite a few snakes in winter too!

Last visit to Shingwedzi in July -- 1 puffadder in road, 10 km further 1 python in road -- both in the middle of the day when it was warm and sunny, so they didn't mind moving around.

Have seen up to 5 snakes in July at Masuma Dam picnic spot in Hwange simultaneously!!! but they were very rustig; same for puffadders -- seen in July, but very sluggish.
Also cobra at night in July near toilets in same park.

Have seen very big mamba in road in July in Kruger, but that happened long ago, near Tshokwane.

The fact is that they are usually more docile in winter...

Snakes are the least of your worries in the park. I think the risk is about the same as having your belongings snitched by somebody from your chalet, or being attacked by a leopard in camp or at a picnic spot...

You will be safer in Kruger than anywhere else in South Africa -- animals are friendlier than people!

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:03 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have seen a few snakes over the years.
The most memorable was a huge Puff Adder lying in the road trying to catch the last of the warmth as the sun went down.

But have never seen one in a camp.

Although the possibility does exist that you may see one, I would say the chances are pretty slim.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:03 pm 

Visit in Winter and;
I wear walking boots, it makes me feel safe... take them off in the car
I check all 8 corners as I go into a toilet and then lift loo seat with toe of boot... never seen anything I don't want to.
I zip away my boots at night so nothing can get in them... I have a fantastic time in Kruger!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8