Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fish Photos (or Stories) - Please Post !!!!
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:50 am 

Hi Ettiene... I think my husband said they were briems....maybe that is the more common name to one of your guesses. SO is also a very keen angler and I think we had to stay another hour just to watch these watercreatures swimming around. I think I missed a wonderful leopard experience in that time... :roll: :roll:

On a later holiday we found a watermonitor trying to trap one of these fishes with his tail right next to a very low waterbridge near Letaba. I will try to locate the photos though I think we took more video than photos. Now that was very interesting. :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:19 am 

I found the photos of the watermonitor, however you can not see the fish. I am sure we have it on video, though.

I then found this pic. We were on our way out of the Park and found this at a bridge near Phabeni gate.

Satara Letaba 29 December 2009 790 by yvdmerwe, on Flickr

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hey all
Don't wanna get too exited too soon........but thinks that I have inspired at least 2 people to look for fish when other game sightings are slow. Thanks for the inputs thus far :clap: :clap: :clap:
Meandering Mouse wrote:
If at all possible, I still don't eat fish.

Thanks for the great fish story. I am however a fish eater and insist on eating fish from sustainable resources. In this regard I regularly use the South African Sustainable Seafood Initiative as a guideline (http://www.wwfsassi.co.za)
lion queen wrote:
When I have more time I'll go through the other trips, maybe a few more.

Looking forward to more pics from you Lion Queen :roll:
Eagle Owl wrote:
Hi Ettiene... I think my husband said they were briems....

Thanks Eagle Owl - yes they are bream. Bream is a term used for a number of Tilapia or cichlid like species and it is a term widely and commonly used. Great to have people distinguishing between bream and other fish types, but the word represents a range of species.

Fantastic pic of Mozambique Tilapia at Phabeni Gate :dance: The darker fish with the darker fins is the male and the other two are females. These fish are mouth brooders, meaning the female hatches the eggs and keeps the young safe in her mouth. Although they are very common, there are real concerns that this species is under threat from hybridization with the exotic Nile Tilapia, which is already found in the Kruger. :(

Happy fish spotting all :cam:

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:25 am 

Thanks Ettiene.. :D SO rectified me on the first pic and said that it indeed was some type of yellowfish. Looking at the picture now I recognise that their slim bodies look just like those we caught in the Vaal... :redface:

It is really interesting getting to know their names. My interest in birds began just like this...a few names to a few species and then I wanted to get to know as much as I could. I am thinking the same might start here.. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:50 pm 

We regularly stop on the bridge at Lower Sabie and scan the waters. We saw this Tiger in April 2011 in the pool below the bridge on the Tshokwane side

Not a fish but I want to share this with you. We photographed this python at the end of June 2011, lying in the water close to the same pool as the Tiger - even got nice video footage as it swam away

(in case you wonder how I got so close, both were photographed with my Canon 7D with 100-400mm lens (plus a bit of cropping :wink: )

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:18 pm 

Cool, Jubs!! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:41 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Eagle Owl wrote:
Thanks Ettiene.. :D SO rectified me on the first pic and said that it indeed was some type of yellowfish. Looking at the picture now I recognise that their slim bodies look just like those we caught in the Vaal... :redface:

Hey there Eagle Own - indeed, as you say, it is some type of yellowfish. Same family as those in the Vaal, but it is most likely that those you saw in the Vaal were Smallmouth Yellowfish (Labeobarbus aeneus).
Nice to hear that your interest has been tweaked :dance: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:49 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Jubs wrote:
We regularly stop on the bridge at Lower Sabie and scan the waters. We saw this Tiger in April 2011 in the pool below the bridge on the Tshokwane side

Jubs :clap: :clap: :clap: What amazing pictures - both of them. I am once again amazed at the behavior of the Tigerfish, seeming to just hang around at the surface. Would be great if other people can let me know if they have seen the same.

Well its official: Lower Sabie Bridge for Tiger sighting :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

As for the snake - great great great sighting and hope it inspires people to post more on this thread.
:whistle:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:59 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Found these White-headed Vultures feeding on a catfish near Shingwedzi in 2007.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:06 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Great pic - thank you Wiltuinman. I am actually surprised that we are only getting the first catfish pic now :D But this one of vultures eating a catfish is quite special.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:54 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

These images were taken from the low water bridge over the Sabie River at Lower Sabie Rest Camp. Both the Greenback Heron and Yellow-billed Stork were having a feast. Just standing and picking these small fish off. Any brave people to ID the fish (including you Eric :D )

This might be slightly more challenging.... :twisted:

March 2015 KTP

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:30 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Tobieo wrote:
These images were taken from the low water bridge over the Sabie River at Lower Sabie Rest Camp. Both the Greenback Heron and Yellow-billed Stork were having a feast. Just standing and picking these small fish off. Any brave people to ID the fish (including you Eric :D )

Thanks for posting these great pics Tobieo - I am afraid that to ID these fish is like asking of me to ID the exact species of the blue fly that only lays its eggs in the dung of educated buffalo :| ......can probably give a few options or possibilities, but even that won't be accurate. Please keep posting me fish pics if you have. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:38 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Actually Tobieo......looking at it again the fish in your pics may very well be River Sardine (Mesobola brevianalis). But I can't be 100% sure. They may also be Longbeard Barb or Straightfin Bard. But if I had to choose one it would be River Sardine :hmz: :hmz: :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:44 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2013)
Hi Waterbuck, as Cheetah said we especially took some pics this past week in the Kruger for you. This was taken on the bridge at the Kruger Gate on my first day, there are yet more to come later. Hope you have fun identifying these. :thumbs_up:

Have a lovely evening

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:38 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Heksie wrote:
Hi Waterbuck, as Cheetah said we especially took some pics this past week in the Kruger for you. This was taken on the bridge at the Kruger Gate on my first day, there are yet more to come later. Hope you have fun identifying these. :thumbs_up:

Hey Heksie (Cheetah)....I am soooooo stoked to get some fish pics again :dance: :dance: Thanks a million. I was wondering when there was eventually gonne be someone that goes to the trouble of looking at some fishies again. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

The fish in these pics are Mozambique Tilapia (Oreochromis mossambicus). They are mouth brooders, meaning that the females lays her eggs and then takes them into her mouth straight after fertilization. Here she cares for the eggs and will also care for the fry (young fish) once hatched.

Looking forward to your other fishy pics....... :thanx: