Skip to Content

Shark: Great White

Find, identify & discuss the marine species of SANParks
Wild@Heart
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Shark: Great White

Unread postby Wild@Heart » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:08 pm

There are only two places in the world where the "Great White" Shark leaves the water to catch their prey.

And one of the places is SA. Watch the documentary "Air Jaws" to see this. It is brilliant.
NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER

Jose
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Great whites flock to Plettenberg Bay

Unread postby Jose » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:55 pm

iafrica news article wrote:CAPE TOWN
Great whites flock to Plett

Fri, 14 Apr 2006
Great White sharks appear to be flocking to Plettenberg Bay along with the Easter holidaymakers, according to the National Sea Rescue Institute.

Local station commander Ray Farnham said on Thursday that the bay was experiencing "a visible presence of Great White sharks in what we believe may be greater than normal numbers".

It was suspected their presence was related to the tail end of the sardine run, and that they would remain in the area until early May.

"The sharks, ranging in length from about 3.5 metres to about seven metres, are visibly patrolling along our stretch of coast," he said.

"We are appealing to members of the public to be cautious.

"Avoid swimming in the river mouths or where rip currents are strongest (particularly now with the Spring tide) as these are most likely to be the areas where the sharks will be feeding on fish."

Members of the public could phone 082-990-5975 to report any sightings.

Pac

Unread postby Pac » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:38 pm

This is actually quite scary, considering that school holidays have just started and many private school families are going down...
Just hope that it will be an incident free holiday...
"you could walk a mile in my shoes and you'd be crazy to"

delboysafa
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Great White

Unread postby delboysafa » Tue May 09, 2006 11:29 am

I wish I could say I was suprised, but when I went on a boat trip in October, we came across a seal colony, which our contact said, had grown nearly 50% on the previous year and they now believe its a breeding colony. Therefore, good food source for Great White.

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)

Unread postby wildtuinman » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:50 am

I have been chased out of the garden route waters a couple of times by great white warnings. Once a chopper descended down to the water level to chase the shark out from between some eager bathers. :twisted:

Biggest one I have seen was @ Diaz beach, Mosselbay. It was clearly visible as a 5m great white as it broke through the surf in 2002.

Worst moment I had... also 2002. Sea sick to the point of wanting to dive overboard and swim back to the shore. No less then 5 sharks where circling our vessle. One being a 12 footer great white.

Was then told by the skipper, a neighbour of my dad's that he has seen great whites swimming past his 24 foot boat that measured just as long. Now that must be a sight that would require a quick wash of underwear in the mosselbay waters. 7m long fish... :shock:

BTW, just as a matter of interest... After the recent floods that had hit the garden route, my dad told me what nature can really do if she puts some back into it.

Stacks and stacks of wood and trees where washed out into the ocean and then spat out again... As tall as a double storeys it lay on the beaches. Together with tv's and lounge suits.
Latest Lifer(s): Buff-spotted Flufftail, Tree Pipit, Dimorphic Egret, Lesser Jacana, Citrine Wagtail, Black-tailed Godwit

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

christo
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby christo » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:05 pm

wildtuinman wrote:Sea sick No less then 5 sharks where circling our vessle.

Suppose the sharks liked the taste of the Castle you've fed them :twisted:
To change ones life start immideately. Do it flamboyantly. No exceptions.

Return to “Reptiles, Amphibians and Fish”