Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: False Killer whales beach at Kommetjie
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:46 pm 

Hi P@m,

in reply to "My hat goes off to them :clap: :clap: Especially the man who made the decision to euthenaze them and made sure he did it himself -- well done ! Really not an easy way out."

Yep, it was a good thing he wasn't at his hunting farm for the weekend, otherwise someone else might have had to do it. :sniper: ;)

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:09 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Welcome to the forums Deidel, wish you will have many more enjoyable hours here - more than with what originally brought you here.

Unfortunately, sometimes, it is necessary to do hard things, and I think first of all the decision to do this, and then actually doing it, was not easy. TheunsH has written, either here or on the Conservation thread, about this type of beaching, that the fact that the animals are lying on the ground actually cause tissue damage, which may seriously harm the animal even if it is possible to get back into the sea. So at some stage one has to do this.

I wasn't there, thankfully, so I can't say whether it was too soon or not. :pray:

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:35 pm 

Hello all and welcome to deidel-great blog. I am sure you are quite correct on a number of points. I was there on Sat for many hours in the cold. I witnessed the enormous human spirit and effort at work and I believe we could have achieved almost anything given the manpower. :clap: However, many factors were stacked against us and ultimately the whales. We had returned these whales to the sea before the marine scientists had gotten there, they had re-beached. Remembering that the sea was rough and it was cold.We then collected them into one large group in the centre of the beach and a smaller group near the rocks and tried to release them as a pod. Remember it WAS high tide when we 1st released them, once again they re-beached at that stage spreading themselves further afield. Instead of a concentrated pod we now had an almost 2km area with whales here and there. Again we tried with the same result, a couple then died. It was then decided to bring them closer in-shore during the low tide and keep them comfy ie. on their abdomens so as to best inflate their lungs, keep them facing shore as they were less stressed that way, dig a channel to keep water flowing around them, keep them in small groups etc etc. The number of volunteers at that stage was huge, the crowd were not listening to officials and keeping beyond the kelp line, some people brought dogs...! We (NSRI) had 2 injuries with people rolled on by whales one fracturing his knee, 2 near drownings, many people becoming hypothermic and still people would pick up a whale and swim it beyond the breakers to try and try. Eventually someone was going to get seriously injured or drown. The crowd were then ordered out of the water as they were too large, over too huge an area and it was too risky.
Many of the animals were injured at that stage, I went around from group to group. Most were females, many were youngsters and they were separated from their mothers and swam out by helpers...these were suckling youngsters unable to survive alone. I saw many females with vaginal/rectal prolapses from the straining and abdominal pressure of being on land, these would not have survived if put back. It became increasingly difficult to control the scene AND many of the animals were in a poor state by then (now 6 hrs later). It was low tide.The decision was then taken to euthanase them. I left at that point, not wishing to witness the shooting-every person on that beach had the same option. Unfortunately many people refused to obey police and do so, somehow believing that if they disobeyed no-one would dare shoot in front of innocent bystanders.
:hmz: I believe the crowds disobeying did not help and it added to the decision as there was a lack of control. Nobody is however to blame. Many avenues were investigated but it seemed hopeless at the time with all these creatures turning around straight back to the beach every time. Losing someone in an effort to save animals that were injured and seemed to just be re-beaching anyway was part of the final decision.
A very hard day indeed.
Pls see Kommetjie Whales group on facebook for further insights, they are trying to solve this for future; god forbid it ever happens again.
:( :(

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi BusyB

For a moment there I thought you were BushBaptist...

Thanks for the insight... good post! :clap:

Let's pray that such a tragic event does not happen soon again...

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:57 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

BusyB,

Thanks a lot for posting this and giving us an eye-on-the-ground view. Wow, as sad day indeed! :cry: I think we all wish it could have bene so different. I am glad I was not there to witness this. I may be a hunter, who wilfully takes an animal's life in order to utilise that animal, always striving to ensure the least amount of pain and sufferering, but that's a totally different kettle of fish from this! To see animals suffer like this is not something I like to see and be a part of, especially the euthanasia part. That is not the sort of thing one wants to be called upon to do.

And I agree - let's pray this never happens again. :pray:

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:28 pm 

Thanks for the kind words, it definitely wasn't an easy day! :x
I came across this very well written blog plus pics on the facebook forum, thought you might find it interesting. http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A ... 3dd0497ing

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:30 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Many, many thanks for the additional input BusyB :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:55 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I agree, thanks for sharing your experience as well BusyB! :clap: :clap:

It sure was a stressful day for all of you on that beach.

It's amazing how little we all know about whales and maybe in a strange way this sad incident will put some attention on whales and the conservation of them! :hmz:

Thanks again! :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Whale stranding at Kommetjie - Photos wanted!
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:41 pm 

Good Day All,
I'm hoping to connect with anyone that's been writing into this forum reguarding pictures they have taken at the stranding. I am with Sea Shepherd Conservation Society. Does anyone have photos of the actual shooting? If you are interested in donating them with proper credit if used, please email me at traci@seashepherd.org
Thanks so much!
Traci

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:37 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi there Traci and a warm welcome to you!!

I'm sure someone will contact you regarding pictures of the beaching and the actual shooting.

You guys and girls at the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society are doing a great conservation effort, well done. :clap: :clap:

I love the "Whale Wars" show on Animal Planet...it's awesome! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:25 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The discussion on the whales is hotting up all over :shock:

For info :

Dept of Environmental Affairs statement : http://www.environment.gov.za/

in reply to Sea Shepherd article : http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-media/commentary-and-editorial.html

Mods -- if you feel that this is not appropriate, please remove it.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:03 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

p@m wrote:
The discussion on the whales is hotting up all over :shock:

Very interesting links p@m. The discussion is hotting up indeed with VERY strong words from the SSCS, wow! :o :shock:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:36 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Another update on whale beachings.

What started off as a positive, sadly ended when another whale rebeached.

Link : http://www.news24.com/Content/SciTech/News/1132/1e359bd6063148c0a95cfa690caa548a/27-07-2009%2009-07/Tragic_end_to_whale_rescue

Well done to all those that tried (including SANP maritime).

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:44 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thank you Pam :(
We can only hope that one day they will discover why!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next