Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rare snakebite at Talamati
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:) Thanks for the update mosij,-good news on Geoff's day to day improvement---- :thumbs_up: mike

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:05 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Mosij. 8) That is good to hear.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:28 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Good news indeed...especially about his kidneys....and his sense of humour :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:41 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
happy to hear that news :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Mosij :thumbs_up: Wonderful news! Hope every day is better than the one before :)

Post subject: Re: Boomslang
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:48 pm 

Hi

I would like to wish Geoff a speedy recovery. Please can someone explain why he took what must be at least a 5 hour drive to Joberg and not use a nearer hospital, is anti venom kept closer to KNP.

cheers

phil

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:15 pm 

Phil, boomslang venom is haemotoxic, which means that it effects the blood clotting. Unlike cytotoxic (cell destroying) or neurotoxic (nerve impulse destroying) haemotoxins takes a relatively long time to cause symptoms so he should have had more than enough time for the 5 hour drive. For any other venomous snake in SA, you should definitely get to the nearest hospital as soon as possible! Also, monovalent antivenom, which is used only for boomslang bites are only stocked in Joburg, so he would have had to come to Gauteng in any case. Hope this answers your question.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:31 pm 

Hi Bushsnake

Thank you for the quick reply. I thought treatment would be available locally.

cheers

phil

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:32 am 

Treatment for every other highly venomous snake should (no guarantees) be available at most of the local hospitals, but they only stock polyvalent antivenom which is used for cobras, mambas, puff adders, etc. Monovalent antivenom is only used for boomslang, and because bites are so rare and the antivenom has a very limited shelf life, it is kept in a central spot.

Post subject: Re: Boomslang; Geoff - more news
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:05 pm 

Graham Alexander visited him today & reports the following;

He's been taken off dialysis and after a brief dip, his kidney finction continues to improve.
The next stage will be to move him out of high care to a general ward and everything goes well he'll be released from hospital either tomorrow or the following day.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:10 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

:dance: That's good news! Thank you! 8)

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Ah that's brilliant news, mosij! :o All the best to Geoff.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:52 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Wonderful news!!! :dance:

Post subject: Re: Boomslang - from the horses mouth
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:59 am 

Hi the Net After more than a week in 'limbo' I am (briefly) back at my computer......and slowly catching up on things. Thanks to Wiggie of the West RandHonarary Rangers, all of you have been kept in the loop regarding myprogress and I can confirm that, thankfully, my kidney function seems to becoming back! It will be some time before I can respond individually to all for thehundreds of prayers, messages, wishes for a quick recovery and support thatI have received over the past 12 days......and even then, I am sure that Iwill miss someone so please let me say a massive thankyou to all of you.Knowing that my birding friends were out there wishing me well offeredtremendous support during what was for Cynthia and I, a rather scary time. Fortunately, it appears that I was too 'slow' (do I hear a few giggles outthere?) to realise just how badly the bite had affected me and was thereforepuzzled why the staff in the Milpark Hospital High Care section kept lookingas though they expected me to collapse at any second - I never really feltparticularly ill! It turns out that by the time we reached the hospital, in addition to theloss of clotting in my blood, my kidneys had all but shut down and variousblood toxins had already reached dangerously elavated levels. After threedialysis sessions to bring the urea and creatinine levels in the blood asquickly as possible down to safer levels, my own kidneys have shownencouraging signs of recovery and each daily set of blood tests since Sundayhas shown a small but steady decline in the levels of these toxins as wellas a small improvement in filtration function. For an (alledged) control freak, the time in hospital has been a strangeexperience and I must commend everyone involved in my treatment for making'letting go the reigns' so easy. Their universal professionalism,confidence, competence and caring attitudes; their humour under tryingcircumstances was both humbling and uplifting. It was wonderful to be ableto just lie back knowing that regardless of any small setback that thingswere under control. And what now? I spent half an hour on the roof of the Delta EnvironmentalCentre early this morning - just enjoying getting back in touch the birds ofmy patch and enjoying the freedom from the 'tyrrany' of hospital schedules.The bite has put a bit of a dent in my atlassing, and also delayed mysubmissions of cards for the Talamati area for the Kruger Birding weekend -and I am itching to get back. I will still need to take it easy for a while but 2607_2800 will be back inbusiness soon! Thanks again to everyone, Happy birding and happy atlassing (just remember to check the ground everynow and then!) Geoff

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:19 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I'm sure the kids Geoff works with in educational programmes are just as happy to have him back on the mend. 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next